Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

GramCracker posted:

Awesome, thank you. Would you say 1/4 of an inch thickness is appropriate?

Now I have to refine making sauce before this new steel arrives.

Yeah, I think I have the 3/8" thick version, but any of them are going to work super well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have the ⅜” version as well and it’s awesome. Not sure if it’s necessary over the ¼” but I can almost guarantee the ½” would be overkill.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have the ⅜” version as well and it’s awesome. Not sure if it’s necessary over the ¼” but I can almost guarantee the ½” would be overkill.

not emptyquoting but yeah

it appears bakingsteel got rid of the round griddle, which is a bummer but i guess you'd better off with a rectangular one most of the time. i use my steel as a griddle more than for pizzas :eyepop:

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

ignore the terrible sauce coverage in the bottom right but I was pretty happy with how this one turned out

getting a good colour without turning it into a hard biscuit is a bit tricky since my (electric countertop) oven has a low roof, but since it goes up to 400°c i get a decent rise out of it

I actually stretched the dough just a bit too big more than usual and it ended up a little bit bigger than the peel so I had to 'roll' the edges back in and fold them over the top, but it gave it a really nice puff so I might start doing a bit of that more often I guess

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

New York style-finally realizing less is more with the cheese. I can do without the basil on top but my wife likes it and prefers it chopped versus whole leaves.

nwin fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 20, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Alright, like most normal people, I'm loving sick of Kitchenaid's bullshit "dough hook" trash that results in dough that still needs a ton of manual kneading before it's ready - so naturally, being a normal, cool person, I bought this 66 lb thing:

It's a Famag IL-5S spiral hook mixer.

The trick with these is that the dry ingredients go in first (all the flour and yeast), then you let it go for about a minute while slowly drizzling in the water. After all the water's in, you watch the dough around the breaker bar next to the spiral to start looking like a "garlic bulb" - then dump in the salt and when it's all in, you're done.

I got a final dough temperature of 78F, I probably should have measured everything so I could figure out a friction factor - but I got the silkiest, smoothest dough I've ever seen.

And the pies?

Well...they were a bit undone by my homemade mozz that refuses to melt, but the crust was...

Need to work on my mozz, and fine-tune my dough procedure with the new mixer, but I'm pretty goddamn happy with how those pies turned out.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

forbidden dialectics posted:

Alright, like most normal people, I'm loving sick of Kitchenaid's bullshit "dough hook" trash that results in dough that still needs a ton of manual kneading before it's ready - so naturally, being a normal, cool person, I bought this 66 lb thing:

sweet jesus i want one so badly

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

forbidden dialectics posted:

The trick with these is that the dry ingredients go in first (all the flour and yeast), then you let it go for about a minute while slowly drizzling in the water. After all the water's in, you watch the dough around the breaker bar next to the spiral to start looking like a "garlic bulb" - then dump in the salt and when it's all in, you're done.

I got a final dough temperature of 78F, I probably should have measured everything so I could figure out a friction factor - but I got the silkiest, smoothest dough I've ever seen.

And the pies?

Well...they were a bit undone by my homemade mozz that refuses to melt, but the crust was...

Need to work on my mozz, and fine-tune my dough procedure with the new mixer, but I'm pretty goddamn happy with how those pies turned out.

Hot drat, nice looking pies m. I’ve been eyeballing a used 20qt Hobart, this motivates things quite a bit.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Crawfish monica pizza I made yesterday, minus the pasta. Topped with 2 parts parmigiano-reggiano, 1 part provolone, and 1 part whole milk mozzarella.

I forgot to get a bottom shot.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I bought a baking steel and decided to try out some margherita pizzas this weekend. Did one batch with instant yeast and one batch with natural levain. I used the dough recipes from FWSY. I set the oven to 525F, then put the broiler on high for a few minutes to super heat the steel just before putting the pizza on. I used an IR thermometer and it said the steel was close to 700F under the broiler (though I’m not sure I completely believe it). I then switched back to bake at did 525F for 6 minutes and then finished it under broil for 2-3 minutes. Overall I’m pretty impressed with the baking steel, probably the closest I’ve had to true margherita pizza without a fire oven.

Here are some pics:

Cento anna napoleatana 00 flour with instant yeast:

Caputo 00 flour with natural levain:

Cento anna napoleatana 00 flour with natural levain:

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Made a bunch of pizzas last weekend. 70% hydration no-knead.

Margherita pizza

Crumb shot

Base

Bechamel, cheese, broccolini, ginger.

Cheese and chutney (cilantro, green chilies, garlic, lime).

Bechamel, shaved brussels sprouts, goat cheese, pistachios, honey.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to do the Ken Forkish method but I have a problem where like I feel like by the time my crust achieves the brownness I want, it's a bit overdone and dry inside.

I've been doing the cook it 3-4 minutes then broil til the cheese is melty but that doesn't really get it brown in time, especially since my oven turns off when it gets too hot, so if you have it on 550 then turn the broiler on and close the door, it turns off in a minute or two.

Should I try like broiling it with the door open, or would that be less overall heat than like closing the door, letting it warm up then turn off, and just kinda hoping that's enough heat to carry it through?

I added some sugar and oil a little bit to the dough for next time to hopefully brown it a bit faster, gonna try that tomorrow.

I may have to just accept that if I want the inside to be soft and tender still I'm gonna have to just accept the outside being blonde, with the temperatures that home ovens get

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

I've been trying to do the Ken Forkish method but I have a problem where like I feel like by the time my crust achieves the brownness I want, it's a bit overdone and dry inside.

I've been doing the cook it 3-4 minutes then broil til the cheese is melty but that doesn't really get it brown in time, especially since my oven turns off when it gets too hot, so if you have it on 550 then turn the broiler on and close the door, it turns off in a minute or two.

Should I try like broiling it with the door open, or would that be less overall heat than like closing the door, letting it warm up then turn off, and just kinda hoping that's enough heat to carry it through?

I added some sugar and oil a little bit to the dough for next time to hopefully brown it a bit faster, gonna try that tomorrow.

I may have to just accept that if I want the inside to be soft and tender still I'm gonna have to just accept the outside being blonde, with the temperatures that home ovens get

One of the major revelations that changed the way I made pizzas was understanding what actually gets added to flour.

A common misconception, which, I have repeated in this very thread, is that 00 Flour (e.g., Caputo) doesn't brown at 550 because of how it's milled, or water absorption of the starch, or a whole host of other nonsense.

A big factor? It's unmalted.

Basically every store-bought (or commercial, for that matter) flour has a whole host of additives in it - vitamins, conditioners, and critically - sugars, like diastatic malt.

Only, it's about a billion times more complicated than that.

A huge game changer for me was incorporating the "desired dough temperature" concept into mixing and kneading dough. King Arthur has an excellent article about this: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2018/05/29/desired-dough-temperature

Basically, the final temperature of your dough, after mixing a kneading, has a MASSIVE effect on the final dough itself - so much so, that it likely outweighs almost every other factor.

Think about it - if your dough temperature is very high, the yeast will consume all of the sugar in your dough, rising it super fast (which ends up popping all of the gluten bubbles you worked so hard to make), and leaving you with beige-white, flat, cracker crust (because all of the sugar, which browns quickly, has been converted to alcohol or other compounds).

Add a temperature check after you knead - it gives you a measure of control, and a fixed variable you can tweak (e.g., with ice or different mixing methods) that will completely change the way you make pizza dough, and help to remove the "hmm this batch turned out great but the same method i used on another day turned out terrible, this dough poo poo must be magic" confusion that surrounds baking, in general.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I made pizza at Burning Man, and let me tell you two things:

1) The forno bravo 24" oven is loving heavy and also not as large as one would hope
2) It is loving hard to use wood pellets as fuel and get enough combustion and also not char the gently caress out of the crust

I used a modified high-yeast low-hydration Lehmann dough (58%) cooked on pizza screens to make the workflow easier. We got 11 stars on yelp and multiple people told us that waiting in line for over an hour for a single slice of a 14" pie was the high point of their week at Burning Man and/or the best pizza they've ever had.

We have a lot of great crowd reaction photos that I'm a little uncomfortable posting here.

In general, I had an excellent if overworked experience and would do it again in a heartbeat provided I had a larger camp with more experienced support people.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Happiness Commando posted:

We have a lot of great crowd reaction photos that I'm a little uncomfortable posting here.

You saw boobies for pizza didn't you?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I saw many beautiful boobies. Burning man is a gifting economy, though, none of it was for pizza.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
ok these two are probably the best I've ever done

the trick ended up being to cook everything at once, not par bake anything like Forkish suggests, but to cook everything at 550 for about 3:30-4, then broil for a minute-90 seconds at the end. I figured out that my oven turns off the broiler if the oven gets too hot, so then it follows that if we do the broiler last, and can time it so that we can get the actual maximum heat out of the oven before it turns off, then we can get closest to a real wood oven so that's what I did and it came out insanely good

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Happiness Commando posted:

I made pizza at Burning Man, and let me tell you two things:

1) The forno bravo 24" oven is loving heavy and also not as large as one would hope
2) It is loving hard to use wood pellets as fuel and get enough combustion and also not char the gently caress out of the crust

I can imagine what you mean but for the sake of people that are reading, I would recommend for people looking into this for normal, stationary use to go only as small as 30". Of course, you're trying to use something portable so anything goes. Anyways, I'm curious about this whole thing with wood pellets because I haven't seen that before. I just looked it up and I guess one manufacturer is doing that, but I didn't see anything from FB itself endorsing it. I really haven't worked with wood pellets for anything so I have a certain mental model that is probably flawed. It just feels like the kind of thing where you don't get easily-movable coals to shift around. What I imagine from wood pellets is that all these little pellets are producing their own mounds of ash as they go, and there's no grate under them through which the ash can fall, so you just get this mound of ash and embers that's too hot to casually brush out and too cold to move around to recharge the interior. For a 24" I can see why you don't want to feed it wood because it's just taking up so much room, but you should still be able to use wood chunks. Specifically, up to 4" bits of wood--not the wood chips since I think you'd have a similar problem.

Fun fact: While looking this up, I found charcoal will void Forno Bravo's warranty. Interesting. I just post on their forums based on a handmade Pompeii-style oven so I don't have to contend with that, but it sounds like you do. I was going to suggest that instead.

Even if you wanted to mostly stick with pellets, I would still recommend keeping around a few gnarled up blocks of wood. I always throw one in mine when firing up to serve as "the yule log." It'll burn forever and functions as a pilot light and illumination at night. If the oven is cooling down too early, I can lean some more fuel against the yule log and get things moving again.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
The weather is finally cooling off so that firing up the oven isn't a complete sweat down of my existence.
A margherita and that's all I had time to take pictures for!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I decided to make khachapuri for dinner last night, but I didn't have easy access to my tried-and-true recipe. I wound up using one from a website called "simply home cooked" and the dough turned out to be a bit slack. Even after adding an additional 0.5 cups of flour, it was still stretchy, so in moving the dough onto my pizza stone, they got the barnacle jim treatment and came out loooooooong - or wide, depending on your orientation in viewing them lol. For reference, they should kind of resemble a canoe from the top down, or a bisected American football. I picked them up and put them down on a pizza stone that had been sitting at 500 degrees Fahrenheit (260 c) so they clung right to it, and fixing them wasn't really an option.

Mine came out...kind of abstract. Tasty, but misshapen.

I've got the same amount of dough out of the fridge for tonight's dinner. My wife wants another khachapuri, while I'm going to enjoy a margharita, I think. Hopefully they end up looking better than this.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I mean, hey, they look like they taste really good!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i'm gonna have to try making those soon, they look super tasty

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Pizza margherita with red onions and the obligatory pizza pup.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

never enough pan pizza love itt

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'm a big fan of the level of cheese browning going on in those. That square pie especially, just :discourse:

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Decided my boy and his fellow barbers needed a few pies at the barber shop when I had to go in for a cut today.

Classic Sourdough Margherita

Sourdough Margherita with pickled onions and garlic

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

I've recently started experimenting with adding psyllium husk to dough - it's a fibre supplement that absorbs a lot of water and coagulates/thickens the dough, so looser/sloppier/higher hydration doughs come together more easily.

The downside is that because it's absorbing water it means there's less water available for the flour to use, so it inhibits gluten development a little bit apparently (some science poo poo i dont understand here), but if you use the right amount it's not noticeable and means you can jack hydration of the dough up without making it too difficult to handle for babies like me

Anyway, after a failed attempt I jacked up the hydration to 80% and the dough was *still* easier to handle than my non-psyllium husk dough at its usual 70% hydration - which means you can (probably(??)) keep it in the oven for a bit longer without the dough turning into a dry biscuit if your oven can't quite reach the temperature you want. At the very least the dough tastes/feels "chewier" to me

here's the dough (adapted from a 500g version of the baking steel 72h dough)
500g bread flour
400mL water (80%)
20g salt (4%)
10g psyllium husk (2%)
1/4 tsp of yeast

I usually do a biga/poolish for 8-12h at first to get the yeast started. you could probably skip this since i just use instant yeast but it seems like the right thing to do
- half the flour (250g), all the water (500mL), and the yeast. mixed roughly into a container
- sit for 8-12 hours
- add in the remaining 250g flour, psyllium husk, and salt
- knead etc, i usually just go 10min with an electric hand mixer
- bulk ferment at room temp for 24h or so. the rise *will* take a long time, not sure if it's because of the salt content or the psyllium husk but it's slow

after that I divide into four portions, fridge it and use it up over the next couple days, but it peaks after another 48h in the fridge. I leave one of the blobs out of the fridge for a couple hours before I need to use it though, I feel like this dough needs a bit more time to relax out of the fridge than the usual 70% dough
margherita

another margherita

chorizo

using an countertop electric pizza that apparently goes up to 400°C ("masterpro ultimate pizza oven" here in australia). I just put the dough/sauce into the oven for 2 minutes, then pop upon the lid to add the cheese/etc and let that go for another 1-1.5 minutes

bonus video of me doing the first half of one
https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/1178149999621787648

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If you're adding some filler stuff that absorbs water, aren't you reducing the real hydration % anyway? I don't think that people should get to hung up on hydration quantities, better to work with dough qualities. Differences in flour, air moisture, moon phase etc throws it off anyway

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

sort of, it's only 2%/10g and the extra water content is 50mL. either way it results in more steam being released when it cooks, and it certainly makes the dough a lot easier to handle

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I recently got a sourdough starter I’ve been keeping up and making bread with.

Any good recipes/tips for using it with pizza dough?

I normally do New York style in the oven, but can do Neapolitan in my pizza oven.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Sourdough Neapolitan with pickled red onions, pickled garlic, and basil pesto cream!

quote:

I recently got a sourdough starter I’ve been keeping up and making bread with.

Any good recipes/tips for using it with pizza dough?

I normally do New York style in the oven, but can do Neapolitan in my pizza oven.

What I've been working with for a day-of dough:

1000g '00'
660g water
220g starter
30g salt

Mix starter and water, then add flour till just comes together then autolyse 20 mins.
Mix in salt and mix for 8-10 mins.
Bulk ferment in cool room temps 4 hours.
Ball out and let rise for another 5-6 hours.

This is done in Las Vegas, so my humidity is way lower than most places. I'm around 69% hydration with that, and it works well for me.

For a cold ferment style dough, my current working mix is
1000g '00'
670g water
140g starter
25g salt

Mix via same method as above.
12 hour bulk ferment in the fridge
Ball out and let rise 12 hours in the fridge or cool room temps if you want - i've had good luck either way.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Hey y'all, after I successfully made some bread a couple of months back, I figured I'd take it to the next step and try out some pizza. After looking through this very thread a bit, I settled on Kenji's pan pizza, and I did just a regular cheese pie.

I loved it! Even after halving the recipe, the crust was exactly what I wanted. I sort of messed up by getting regular mozzerella instead of low moisture, but it still came out great. Next time (and there will be a next time) I'm going to try making Kenji's new york style pizza.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's a pizza based dish called Party Bread, it's basically a calzone thats cut into strips before being baked, with the strips of dough and filling weaved together. It looks and tasted good. I made one inspired by turkey sandwiches. But it was so loaded with dairy that my stomach protested. Oh well. Here is the original recipe for Italian Party Bread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DPCIlGloJA

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Holy poo poo that looks so good. I have to try this now.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I should have taken a photo of my attempt at it.

GlassLotus
Mar 16, 2014

I once got a fortune cookie that said "Ask your mom". I've also gotten several blank fortune cookies... I guess that explains why I'm broke.

A couple pizzas I made recently. Nothing very high effort but I was proud of them nonetheless. I just made the dough in my bread machine using bread flour, sugar, salt, olive oil, yeast, and water and then stretched/rolled them out onto some cornmeal dusted pans, sauced and cheesed them then put the toppings :D the basil shreds are from my garden.

I wish I had the energy to make pizza more often, and I wish my family was more interested in trying new toppings.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's pizza pie sunday, baby:

Detroit style crust, a mix of pickled jalapeno, pepperoni, chorizo, peppers, and a bit of spinach on one side.
Pickled jalapenos are a god tier topping imo.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Hey I didn't see anything about it in the OP but is there a general consensus on a good pizza stone for a gas oven? I want to get a good one for my father so I'm not too worried about the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think you should just go with a baking steel over stones at this point. There's not a lot of difference there, fundamentally they're all just slabs of steel. I wouldn't get a 1/2" one, stick with 3/8". 1/2 will just be amazingly heavy.