Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

beep by grandpa posted:

Impatience is what kills everyone there.

Impatience and not knowing if the course I was on was safe was what did me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

It looks like you haven't finished the game yet so I'll give you a quick tip. Since you've already been through the bramble and found the ship and you've figured out you need to go back eventually, I'll help you with an easier way to get there. When you get into the bramble, head straight for the red glow. The only fish you really need to worry about is the first one, but not really even that one if you're patient. The fish only react to sounds, so if you don't thrust, they don't move. I also think you can just float right through them, or at least right through their teeth. Make your way to the red glow seed and then really thrust into it. When you get through, don't do anything, don't thrust. You can rotate around, but don't do anything to alter your course. You will slowly float past the fish and towards what I am guessing is their eggs or whatever. When you reach the eggs, you are safe to thrust. I don't know if you always have the same orientation when you enter the red glow part, but when you get to the eggs, look up and head to the white glow you see. That's the ship. You're safe to thrust as much as you want until you get to the ship. It's not tough or scary, it just takes time.

there's an easier way than this. you can mark it using your quest screen or w/e like any other location.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I can see that being a big time saver!

you can also just mark the vessel's location using your own ship's computer. it'll show up as a waypoint.

for navigating through that area it's important to remember that
a) you preserve momentum even when your thrusters aren't on,
b) the anglerfish won't hear your right stick movements or your drifting.

so the trick is to build up speed before entering the planet, then let go of the left stick before entering the fish area and just drift while using right stick to course correct

e: lol beaten

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 27, 2019

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Oh, is that a thing you can do? I haven't been setting any waypoints then!

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

yeah I'm not sure if the game ever explicitly tells you you can do that but I found it to be the most handy way to crash into planets and die

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's also that you have to remember you're in a vacuum and thus can get all the momentum you need before getting to the fish and then cut your thrusters and you'll just keep right on going.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

And if you don't know, even though you can't use your thrusters, you can spin around all you want.

Regy Rusty posted:

It's also that you have to remember you're in a vacuum and thus can get all the momentum you need before getting to the fish and then cut your thrusters and you'll just keep right on going.

Wait a sec, since we're in a vacuum shouldn't sound not even carry at all??? holy gently caress trash game. unrealistic!!! 0/10 dear developers,

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Dark Bramble is very clearly not a vacuum, being filled with that dense fog and all.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

GulagDolls posted:

there's an easier way than this. you can mark it using your quest screen or w/e like any other location.
That one netted me harder to avoid fishes on the way so eventually I always used the original, indirect route.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ok not quite a vacuum but very little atmosphere

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
What I find most suspicious about Dark Bramble is the guy that claims the reason he's been doing fine in that anglerfish skeleton is because the light keeps the other anglerfish away, what with them being pretty territorial. Not only can anglerfish not see other anglerfish lights, being blind, but there are three of them right on top of each other in the red node. I guess he just has no idea what he's talking about.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
To be fair, Feldspar does seem like a figure-out-why-it-worked-later-maybe kind of person.

Chev fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 28, 2019

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
About the paradox ending:

Can someone explain to my dumb non-quantum brain why doing the thing and then ending the loop without doing a thing causes a paradox ?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Trickyblackjack posted:

About the paradox ending:

You saw yourself in the core, which means you must've gone through the black hole and come out of the equivalent white hole 22 minutes previous. If you then refuse to go into the black hole as scheduled, that means you couldn't have popped out of the white hole 22 minutes before, which means you could never have talked to yourself, but you did, so the universe is inconsistent and you've created a paradox. Good job, hero.

Of course, going into the black hole at the right time closes the loop and everything is fine and stable. Just... make sure you do that. There's another way to get the time paradox ending that relies on a similar problem.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

What I find most suspicious about Dark Bramble is the guy that claims the reason he's been doing fine in that anglerfish skeleton is because the light keeps the other anglerfish away, what with them being pretty territorial. Not only can anglerfish not see other anglerfish lights, being blind, but there are three of them right on top of each other in the red node. I guess he just has no idea what he's talking about.
well, those three are protecting the eggs, maybe that changes things

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ending question: what real difference does it make whether you find the eye or just turn off the loop and die? How does using the eye change things?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Ending question: what real difference does it make whether you find the eye or just turn off the loop and die? How does using the eye change things?

Ending spoilers, obviously: It's open to interpretation, but my reading was that the eye allows a conscious observer to shape the new universe that comes after the collapse. We see the new universe in the ending, and while it is obviously very different from the old one it is one that shares the ideals of the Hearthians, with pioneers gathered around a campfire and small planets filled with wonder. If we hadn't entered the eye there would probably still be a new universe, but we would have lost the ability to pass anything on to it.

Also the Little Scout would be dead.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

the eye is an astronomical quantum focus that exists at the center of the universe. it can only achieve a shape when being observed, so when the universe ends, someone needs to be observe the eye in order to provide the spark to birth a new universe. it's also possibly sentient, and deliberately waylaid the nomai so that they would find it and let this process take place

that's why, once the universe goes completely dark, the first thing you see is yourself, which turns into the campsite and the other astronauts - it's from the player character unconsciously giving shape to the infant universe by populating it with the people and place they remember most fondly

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
I don't know when it happened precisely because I was away from home for a week but: the PS4 version of Outer Wilds finally has an update to presumably fix save corruption, by backing up the save once it crashes. I don't it think it fixed the actual crashing but that wasn't really the problem, hopefully this is the one that actually solved the problem for whoever bounced off after losing tons of log data.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Where's the shortcut to the Hanging City? I know one exists, but I can't find any information on it.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism

Where's the shortcut to the Hanging City? I know one exists, but I can't find any information on it.

Go back to the Meltwater District and work your way up. In one of the houses where you find the scrolls, there should be more stairs that eventually lead to a gravity lift

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

It's near the north pole.

Specifically, there's an area where the ice has started to melt, it looks kind of like a river delta or something. There's a hole near the edge of it (I want to say the side furthest from the WHS warp pad but that might not be accurate) that the water flows into.

Sorry that the description is kind of unclear :v: If I were near my computer I'd grab a screenshot.

E: Flac and I are talking about the same thing, just from different directions

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The shortcut is also much easier to find from the city direction, imo.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

After going through and finding it. I agree. It WOULD be tough to describe where it is from the outside.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Arrhythmia posted:

The shortcut is also much easier to find from the city direction, imo.

It absolutely is. Once you've come through it that way, you'll be able to find it again easier after that.

In other news, I haven't gotten to play a whole lot since I was asking about rumor mode, but I think I'm getting near the end. I still feel like I've barely explored the twin planets, but I've been to the sun station, I've been to the moon's sixth location, I know why the sun's blowing up, I know the third escape pod and the ship they abandoned are in anglerfish central, I know where the Eye is. I haven't used the ash twin's teleporters for the twin planets (I've tried to use the broken ceiling one but got sucked up by sand instead), and I still need to find a working core (I've been in the forge but was distracted by my 5 month old and forgot to look for a warp core.)

Now, I have no clue what to do about the sun exploding. Seems like something I should try to fix. Maybe the abandoned ship can blow up the interloper or something? I'll find out soon enough.

This game is so good. I'm going to be sad when it's over :(

E:

After going through and finding it. I agree. It WOULD be tough to describe where it is from the outside.

Sorry :v:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
gently caress you are in for such a rollercoaster.

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

I'm hitting a repeatable bug that hard crashes my game. For someone who's beaten Outer Wilds, can you tell me if this is going to stop me from continuing?

I'm at the black hole forge. I can't figure out what to loving do there. I see the sign that says "Black Hole Forge, 30m left." I go. I see a wall without a tablet and a viewing surface without a tablet. There is no tablet. Next to both, there's a small indentation that looks like it's for a lift. Thinking maybe it was, I decided to lift off straight into the sky, let gravity take control, and see if I landed somewhere interesting. When I start doing a 180, the game crashes back to dashboard.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I'm hitting a repeatable bug that hard crashes my game. For someone who's beaten Outer Wilds, can you tell me if this is going to stop me from continuing?

I'm at the black hole forge. I can't figure out what to loving do there. I see the sign that says "Black Hole Forge, 30m left." I go. I see a wall without a tablet and a viewing surface without a tablet. There is no tablet. Next to both, there's a small indentation that looks like it's for a lift. Thinking maybe it was, I decided to lift off straight into the sky, let gravity take control, and see if I landed somewhere interesting. When I start doing a 180, the game crashes back to dashboard.

That's an odd bug, but it's not a major one. For progress, a) search around the floor with the main bridge entrance and b)maybe come back later once you've figured some stuff out.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Throne of Bhalz posted:

That's an optional area, so it won't prevent you from completing the game.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I feel as if by now I should/could have been to the Quantum Moon. I think I've seen it around sometimes, and I've been to the trial and knowledge towers so I know all that. I know about the sixth location and the shrine. I tried using the moon locator on the Ember Twin, my thought was if I put a scout on the quantum moon symbol and keep taking shots the moon would stay there. That didn't really work. I tried to recall the Shuttle that is on the Quantum Moon. Same idea, attach a scout to the shuttle, use the big controls to send it back and take pictures when it gets there to make sure the moon stays where it is. But when I send the shuttle out, it just goes in one direction forever. And the times where I think I've seen the Quantum Moon while flying around, I try to land on it and I just phase through it completely.

I have this rumor for this Lakebed Cave. It's in the same section as the Quantum Moon so maybe it's importantly, but I swear I have looked EVERYWHERE that the rumor tells me (bottom of dry lakebed at Ember Twin's north pole) and found nothing.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
You're going to feel dumb when you read this one: it's not the scout that matters, it's the picture

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I feel as if by now I should/could have been to the Quantum Moon. I think I've seen it around sometimes, and I've been to the trial and knowledge towers so I know all that. I know about the sixth location and the shrine. I tried using the moon locator on the Ember Twin, my thought was if I put a scout on the quantum moon symbol and keep taking shots the moon would stay there. That didn't really work. I tried to recall the Shuttle that is on the Quantum Moon. Same idea, attach a scout to the shuttle, use the big controls to send it back and take pictures when it gets there to make sure the moon stays where it is. But when I send the shuttle out, it just goes in one direction forever. And the times where I think I've seen the Quantum Moon while flying around, I try to land on it and I just phase through it completely.

I have this rumor for this Lakebed Cave. It's in the same section as the Quantum Moon so maybe it's importantly, but I swear I have looked EVERYWHERE that the rumor tells me (bottom of dry lakebed at Ember Twin's north pole) and found nothing.

you have to come across the moon by happenstance. when you see it, fire the ship's scout and photograph it. the photograph's image will keep the moon "solid" and allow you to land. from there you can solve the puzzle of the sixth location

just make sure to always keep the moon in your sight. the gravity there is low and if you jump above its cloud cover it'll warp out from under your feet and leave you to die in space

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did you find the cave down there? it is quantum as well. You will need to keep pushing further into the cave, and keep quantuming past any obstacles you find. It's not anything super necessary, it just teaches you another thing about quantum objects.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
The reason the shuttle isn't going back to the moon is that the shuttles don't go to specific places, they have to be piloted. You only hit what you aim for with them.

And it's pretty drat hard to aim for something that isn't always there.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I also used the scout on the moon locater trick. it worked but then i realized i could just fire it out of my ship and take the picture there. Anyway once you get the picture just stop clicking

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Also for the lakebed rumor i wandered through that cave like a dozen times before i found the way through. I think you just have to not take apparent dead ends at face value, check everything thoroughly even if it looks like theres nothing down a path

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Ah, I see. I was constantly snapping shots, I didn't think just keeping the same shot of the moon up at all times.

Now that I've been to the sixth location and seen/learned all the crazy stuff there, I don't think I have any rumors left besides the Lakebed Cave. I feel like I know a bit about what my ultimate goal will be, taking the warp core from the Ash Twin Project and putting it into the Vessel. I'm not exactly sure what that will accomplish, but I may as well just try it and see what happens.

Am I crazy or is there no way to actually forge anything at the Black Hole Forge? Seemed like it was just a couple rooms with some stuff to read, and more diagrams of the towers.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Zack Ater posted:

In other news, I haven't gotten to play a whole lot since I was asking about rumor mode, but I think I'm getting near the end. I still feel like I've barely explored the twin planets, but I've been to the sun station, I've been to the moon's sixth location, I know why the sun's blowing up, I know the third escape pod and the ship they abandoned are in anglerfish central, I know where the Eye is. I haven't used the ash twin's teleporters for the twin planets (I've tried to use the broken ceiling one but got sucked up by sand instead), and I still need to find a working core (I've been in the forge but was distracted by my 5 month old and forgot to look for a warp core.)

Now, I have no clue what to do about the sun exploding. Seems like something I should try to fix. Maybe the abandoned ship can blow up the interloper or something? I'll find out soon enough.

You might want to revisit the sun station, or at least reread its entries in your log; it sounds like you might have missed or misunderstood something there. More explicitly the interloper is not the reason the sun is exploding.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Separate post to avoid mixing spoilers for different people:

I don't think I have any rumors left besides...

One to double check that's easy to miss on the rumor diagram: Have you filled out all three sub-rumors of the Probe Cannon, or are one or more of them still '?'s?

Am I crazy or is there no way to actually forge anything at the Black Hole Forge? Seemed like it was just a couple rooms with some stuff to read, and more diagrams of the towers.

Spoiler for Black Hole Forge: I think it's just intended to be a workshop; what you find there are notes, benches and small tools. The actual work of forging warp cores is done by hand by expert craftsnomai, not by massive machines.

Progressive hints for Lakebed cave in case you want them:
  • Have you been down every passageway?
  • It's hard to tell, isn't it?
  • What do you know is in the cave?
  • Or sometimes in it, at least.
  • A quantum shard.
  • What happens around quantum shards?
  • Try to make a map of the cave; the trail on the globe can be helpful for this.
  • Pay particular attention to what's at the end of each tunnel.
  • Double-check your map.
  • Explicit spoiler: The rock formations and plants blocking the ends of tunnels are quantum; they change when you're not looking at them. Sometimes they're not there at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Heyyyyyyy I got rumor mode to work, finally. Had to disable it in settings, load the game, quit, re-enable it in settings, and now it's working :toot:

NRVNQSR posted:

You might want to revisit the sun station, or at least reread its entries in your log; it sounds like you might have missed or misunderstood something there. More explicitly the interloper is not the reason the sun is exploding.

Ah, I guess I missed the part where the sun's naturally dying. It was in my logs, at least. I could have sworn the log from the interloper was concerned about the exotic matter going into the sun, though. Oh well, thanks for the correction!

So in other news I partially crossed off one of the things in my to-do list: I warped into the ash twin project. I read all the stuff there, and then decided to turn off the gravity... which then crashed me to desktop as soon as the room stopped spinning :( I'm going to try again to see if it repeats, but I assume that's probably a necessary step?

E: also I'm glad you all were already talking about the lakebed, cause I was wondering about that myself.

E2: Re: the spoiler stuff from NRVNQSR: Oh, it's not that they were concerned about it getting into the sun, it's just that it was a ticking time bomb that would kill them all if it exploded. Which it did. That's why they're almost all dead. Right?

Telum fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 30, 2019