Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

Baby Broomer posted:

I bounced off this game a few years ago because it drove me crazy how the skills were not evenly explained, with some having detailed rules for spending advantage and others shrugging and saying ask your GM. Has this ever been errata'd? Is it better to just heal stress as a baseline thing to spend advantage on?

There's been a few "cheat sheets" made by the community for spending advantages or threats over the years. They can be found with a good search. The most expansive of them try to fix the vehicle combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Covok posted:

Rise of Skywalker Spoiler

How much XP do I need to put into Unleash to cause an entire fleet of ships to stall?

gently caress that man, how much for the Force Lightning that spreads out over the sky and zaps a bunch of ships?

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013

soulfulspinster posted:

There's been a few "cheat sheets" made by the community for spending advantages or threats over the years. They can be found with a good search. The most expansive of them try to fix the vehicle combat.

Did Genysis roll those community fixes in? I would like to spend some xmas money on the beginner box for EotE, but after D&D 5e I'm a bit hesitant to jump into a system that needs immediate tampering.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

The Shame Boy posted:

gently caress that man, how much for the Force Lightning that spreads out over the sky and zaps a bunch of ships?

That's what I was asking...?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Covok posted:

Rise of Skywalker Spoiler

How much XP do I need to put into Unleash to cause an entire fleet of ships to stall?

It only works if you're freshly topped off with Jedi goop.

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

Baby Broomer posted:

Did Genysis roll those community fixes in? I would like to spend some xmas money on the beginner box for EotE, but after D&D 5e I'm a bit hesitant to jump into a system that needs immediate tampering.

Unfortunately, I can't talk to the voracity of the Genysis stuff since I haven't read it. However, the main issue with ship combat is how deadly it is. This is a double edged sword because if your players' home base and biggest source of sanctuary is their mobile home, it becomes a huge liability to risk it in a combat.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Covok posted:

That's what I was asking...?

So it is! My reading comprehension sucks :v:

Okay so better idea, what about the teleporting a lightsaber behind your back to a buddy that a far distance away instantly

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Destiny point and a previously narratively established relationship with the receiving character.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The "simple pick up" on Tatooine that a rebel agent hired K2X4 the liberated security droid and her mandalorian bounty hunter comrade for turned out to be anything but.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
That's amazing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
That is a badass play area. drat!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lol those faces. Amazing setup.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

You are a good parent.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

My daughter had Play of the Game overcoming multiple setback dice for the called shot to lob a micro-rocket into the unbuttoned Occupier tank before it got a chance to button down and do anything.

She is spending a substantial portion of her cut on more micro-rockets.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

echopapa posted:

A nemesis with Imperial Valour can use minions as human shields.

You can also give them Squads, just like a player can have, as direct ablative armor, AND give them Imperial Valor to make it even more difficult to hit them. That's how you keep an officer/moff type guy from just going down in less than a round. You can do the same thing with even nastier foes, like dark jedi, too, so they can reflect the worst shots headed towards their 'allies' but still not be in the line of fire outside of certain circumstances. Blast would still get through, of course, but there's squad stances that negate that.

Squads/squadrons are a great way of continuing to challenge high level players, like Mobs were in Deathwatch. They are also useful FOR players who are going into a seriously nasty situation, such as, say, going against a vehicle with planetary scale weapons! Need all the extra health you can get, in that case!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Are squads in the Commander book?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Owlbear Camus posted:

My daughter had Play of the Game overcoming multiple setback dice for the called shot to lob a micro-rocket into the unbuttoned Occupier tank before it got a chance to button down and do anything.

She is spending a substantial portion of her cut on more micro-rockets.

A wise investment.

For real though, this is adorable and amazing.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

RudeCat posted:

Should be in that but first time I remembered looking up was in AOR GM Screen.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Does anybody know if/where I could get individual dice? I loaned out a few Penalty Dice a thousand years ago and I'm certain they're lost to tide and time now.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

RudeCat posted:

I think they're actually in the Soldier book.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Does anybody know if/where I could get individual dice? I loaned out a few Penalty Dice a thousand years ago and I'm certain they're lost to tide and time now.

You could try a missing part request from FFG, but your mileage may vary on if they'll replace things lost due to neglect rather than missing from original package

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
Are there any good podcasts to listen to of these getting played?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

GeauxSteve posted:

Are there any good podcasts to listen to of these getting played?

Campaign is my go-to. Pretty fun group and their DM has a great knowledge of Star Wars. There’s a bunch of side campaigns as well.

Heroes of Hydian Way is another recommended one, although I couldn’t get into that myself.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Seconding Campaign

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
Thanks I'll check it out! I'm a big Pathfinder player and I love the Glass Cannon. Hopefully this can fill that gap while I wait for more episodes

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Do either of these get into mechanics to help drill what you can do with advantage/triumph and that kind of thing thru listening to actual play?

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
The players and esp GM of Campaign make an honest effort to follow the rules but they mostly seem to be coming from an improv perspective where they don’t always remember to roll dice. That said it’s the best Actual Play podcast I’ve ever listened to.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey I'm running the AoR intro adventure, Perlemian Haul, tomorrow. Its everyone's first time with the system. I've obsessively read a bunch of the stuff so I've got a decent grasp of the rules but any common mistakes or issues with the adventure are appreciated. One thing I noticed is that RaW the characters are pretty tough to use social skills on- like the starting governor who asks a huge price for cooperation is an obvious target for a negotiate check but she's rolling 3 reds if you do it that way. Any advice on how to work that?

E also for rewards, I'm thinking 10 xp for showing up + 5 for playing to motivation + 5-10 for finishing an arc; duty gets 1-2 per (3 players) both for doing things that help the Rebellion and also for going out of your way to complete your personal duty

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 7, 2020

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Let your players get creative and throw some boost dice their way, or what have you. It's meant to be really hard to try to convince these people since you're assumed to be scrubs. That being said, someone with 3 greens in Negotiation might still win over 3 reds because of the math involved. Reds aren't actually worse odds of success than purples, it's just that they have the chance of giving Despairs.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Don't expect much more support from FFG proper. Word on the street is that the entire FFG digital games department and most of the FFG RPG department just got private equity'd out of existence.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I honestly feel like I have everything I need at this point, now that we have books covering every time period from Episode I to Episode VI. (That's not a knock on the sequel trilogy nor Baby Yoda, it's just that I don't see any skillsets, equipment, vehicles, etc. that I need new mechanics or statistics to cover.)

Setting that very narrow concern aside, FFG having its RPG department nearly eliminated is very bad news.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

golden bubble posted:

Don't expect much more support from FFG proper. Word on the street is that the entire FFG digital games department and most of the FFG RPG department just got private equity'd out of existence.

Private equity'd? As in a disgusting, vile captialist bought out the company using wealth obtained through the exploitation of human suffering and then carved it up to maximize profits at the cost of everything else, ultimately planning to drain the resources completely in a year or 5 years then sell off the shell of a company for scraps? I ask this all unironically.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The thought of creative types responsible making a fun gaming system to pretend to be spacemen with being made to justify their existence, ultimately futilely, to The Bobs who see them as a drag on the more successful boxed game department and nothing more... makes me sad.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

From what I heard, yes. It's the typical trio of "downsizing", "streamlining", and "outsourcing" you can expect from those kind of folk.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The whole thing sucks

On one hand they'll probably switch to using freelancers to produce books like almost every other RPG company

On the other hand they'll also probably focus entirely on Genesys as opposed to licensed properties

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Covok posted:

Private equity'd? As in a disgusting, vile captialist bought out the company using wealth obtained through the exploitation of human suffering and then carved it up to maximize profits at the cost of everything else, ultimately planning to drain the resources completely in a year or 5 years then sell off the shell of a company for scraps? I ask this all unironically.
Hardly! Capitalism is the most efficient system for allocating resources and meeting consumer demand. Profit is the reward of those who, through their ambition to be their best selves, create value for society.

In other news, the inability of the Confederacy of Independent Systems to repay interest on its loans has resulted in a necessary increase on interest rates for credit within the Galactic Republic. Local governments are advised to explore market-based solutions as an alternative to social spending.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
RIP a new edition of Edge of the Empire, the best Star Wars roleplaying game ever made

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

They were already using freelancers extensively

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
So what I'm hearing is if there are any books I really want, get them now. I'm currently trying to get all the imperial assault stuff and some of the minis seem to already be disappearing. I don't want the same thing to happen to the RPG books too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If they already have books and they keep getting sales, there's no reason they can't do more reprints of them....but yeah, if there's anything you desperately want to have, get it sooner rather than later