Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Why do people do things for other people without asking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Uncle Lloyd posted:

I feel bad shoving it in the bottom of a desk drawer

Please don't feel bad! It's okay if you're not ready for mementos. I hope one day you'll be able to enjoy that photo and your memories, but take the time you need.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Pollyanna posted:

Why do people do things for other people without asking?

We've been mostly culturally programmed to believe that holiday or birthday gifts should be a surprise, and you'd sure spoil the "surprise" by asking how they'd feel about a framed photograph of their recently-deceased pet.

I guess the more tactful and kind way to go about something like this would be to take into account how recently it happened, and also ask the owner how they're doing with regards to their grief?

A couple years back I received a similar gift, but it was 3 months after Tony had passed and I was certainly happy to have gotten it by that point.

Anyway...

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Goodbye Bartleby. I miss you.

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Hey, my cat is broken and I need help fixing him.

My fiance and I have a cat, Leighton 9 years old. Exactly a year ago today he lost his older "brother" to cancer, and this year we moved from an apartment to a new house. He has delt with everything pretty well and all has been normal. Note that he is a pretty anxious cat and is scared of pretty much everything. Well, last week we decided to get a kitten for him because he seemed bored/in the dumps. So we bring this kitten home and there was lots of hissing and swatting but we are doing everything the best we can and there is some relative peace as of today. They sorta play, and can be in the same room as one another and even play with the same toy at the same time. The kitten is really good and being submissive and has taken a few swats to the head from Leighton, but it is moving along.

On Christmas eve when we got home, I fed both the cats at a blocked door. They both started going to town on the food but Leighton stopped about halfway. I figured I gave him too much and he didn't feel like finishing it (weird for him). The next morning he only ate about half of his normal dry food in the AM. Now he is barely eating anything. We took him to the vet on Thursday and he passed his physical exam no problems. We got blood work and stool samples done which also came back perfect. We did recently switch his dry food from Purina One to Blue Buffalo but that was weeks ago with no ill side effects. Thursday and Friday when he pooped he had diarrhea and it smelled god drat awful. So I went out and bought pretty much one of every kind of food to try to get him to eat. He will mainly lick the juices off of things, and he will only eat greenies treats. You can tell that he is hungry because he bugs us for food at him feeding time but he turns his nose up at almost everything. Maybe eating a few pieces of dry food and some broth/juice. Today we decided to syringe feed him, so we put him in the bedroom with the door closed (he is comfy in there), and blended up some water/cat food. Before we started syringe feeding him my fiance put some of the mixure on her fingers in which he started to eat it. We got an entire small can of food in him this way. We are totally baffled on what could be the problem.

Possible problems:
Stress from the new kitten
Upset Tummy
Doesn't feel safe eating with the kitten around
loving cats are weird

If we have to keep feeding him blended cat food out of our palms to feed him, that is what we will do but we would prefer not to. We also put those cat calming deffuser things in a bunch of rooms which may or may not be doing anything besides wasting 60 bucks. This is all reminding us of when our first cat got cancer and wouldn't eat and we syringe fed him for a month before he passed. So we are super concerned. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Did your vet check his teeth? With those symptoms I'd almost suspect a toothache.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Tooth sounds right to me. Also, some cats develop a sensitivity to Greenies (they get really profound diarrhea and lose their appetites), so maybe cut those out for now since he's exhibiting those symptoms.

Another possibility - you mentioned that you noticed the symptoms when you got home on Christmas eve. Is it possible that he got into something he shouldn't have while you were away?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Vet checked his teeth which were just fine. He does have some stinky breath though. We have no Christmas decorations up this year so we are pretty sure he didn't get into anything.

The next course of action suggested by the vet was an ultra-sound or appetite stimulant. Ultra-sound we really don't want to put him through due to cost and because it stresses him out.

e: Just scheduled his ultra-sound for next week. This morning he only ate like two syringes worth of food. We initially thought a teeth thing too but it just doesn't make sense since he will eat some pieces of dry food and hard treats, and turn his nose up at soft/liquid food. I dunno, hopefully it is just a stress thing or an upset tummy and it'll resolve in a couple more days. He did poop this morning and it didn't smell and was mostly solid.

Polish fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 30, 2019

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So Im actually allergic to cats, but Ive been taking some claratin every day and it takes care of all the symptoms. I can rub my face in my kittens belly and my eyes wont explode, she can scratch me and I wont break out in hives.

However this is making me rethink my pneumonia diagnosis as I have this constant re-occuring cough coming back. After some research apparently there is such a thing as allergy induced asthma. Does anyone have links to respiratory reactions to cats? This is the closest description of my symptoms:
https://www.healthline.com/health/allergies/allergy-induced-asthma#treatments

Chest tightness (very minor)

Wheezing (oh yeah)

Coughing in morning and nights. (it happens randomly during the day, night, whenever)

Its just weird that zithro (antiboitics) made the cough go away completely, then it came back 2 weeks later. Then predisone (steriods) also made it go away, but now its coming back 2 weeks later. Prescription cough meds dont really help. So ive been to 2 docs about this and they just shrug.
Im going on a 4 day trip in 2 weeks, sans cat. Ill see what happens to my lungs then.

The little monster who is slowly killing me

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
It may be making your lungs more susceptible to infection. Antibiotics shouldn't do anything if it's allergy-induced asthma, but if your lungs are slightly irritated they might be more likely to get infected.

You can try keeping your bedroom a "safe zone" where the cat isn't allowed, that may give your lungs enough cat-free time that they can recuperate without chronic irritation

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

It may be making your lungs more susceptible to infection. Antibiotics shouldn't do anything if it's allergy-induced asthma, but if your lungs are slightly irritated they might be more likely to get infected.

You can try keeping your bedroom a "safe zone" where the cat isn't allowed, that may give your lungs enough cat-free time that they can recuperate without chronic irritation

I live in a studio, I have just the one room.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
IANAD: That sounds like Asthma In The Winter to me. And "regular" asthma can absolutely be developed directly after other chest/lung infections (I developed mine in adulthood in response to a viral cough). This year I caught a cold a few weeks before thanksgiving(US Version), got a major sinus infection & took antibiotics, and have had a minor recurring cough since.

If you suspect you have asthma at all please get a Rx for a rescue inhaler from your doctor.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Well hopefully my 4 day reprieve from my cat and allergens will give me clearer answers. If Im still coughing while in the clean country air then I guess I have other problems. If not then welp Sasha is going to my neighbor.

My regular doctor just got brain cancer and is on the way out, so Im heading to urgent care. Surprisingly when I went, coughing, they said my lungs sounded clear and x rays showed nothing visibly wrong. So who knows at this point, heading back today/jan 2.

She just started to greet me at the door when I come home and give me love bites when shes hungry in the morning. I lovingly wiped her rear end daily before I got her diet sorted out, Ive only had her 2 months and giving her away would suck.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 30, 2019

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

In one week Cherestin has massacred the flea problem I've been dealing with for months that Frontline, Advantage, and Raid carpet spray would barely put a dent in. So thanks for the people who were recommending it a while back.

Pros: The cats aren't scared of the carpet anymore.
Cons: They not try to trip me a dozen times a day.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I’m glad the Cherrstin works! The Bay Area never really gets cold enough for the fleas to die off so they can be year round and easily brought into your house by brushing against the wrong grass or whatever, that’s when I discovered it.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

If Claritin isn't working try the Zyrtec/generic Zyrtec. That's what I use for my daily allergy pill with bonus Nasonex for the days when the nose decides to run all day for no reason. When I first started I took two a day, eventually was able to pull back to one a day as my body got more used to my specific cats. (You do eventually adjust.)

You pretty much need to have a good HEPA filter in your studio if you're going to exist with allergies and your kitten. Don't skimp on price with this, get a good one. Wearing a mask when vacuuming and washing your hands after a heavy petting session will also help keep symptoms under control.

I had similar symptoms when forced to co-exist in a small space with my cats before I knew I had allergies, it presented as if I had chronic bronchitis. Heavy wheezing, coughing, couldn't sleep due to coughing, and of course the cats would curl up on me because they were concerned about me being sick. :downs: Doctors kept putting me on anti-biotics until I forcibly took myself to a nose-and-throat guy who identified it as allergies in less than three minutes.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

mistaya posted:

If Claritin isn't working try the Zyrtec/generic Zyrtec. That's what I use for my daily allergy pill with bonus Nasonex for the days when the nose decides to run all day for no reason. When I first started I took two a day, eventually was able to pull back to one a day as my body got more used to my specific cats. (You do eventually adjust.)

You pretty much need to have a good HEPA filter in your studio if you're going to exist with allergies and your kitten. Don't skimp on price with this, get a good one. Wearing a mask when vacuuming and washing your hands after a heavy petting session will also help keep symptoms under control.

I had similar symptoms when forced to co-exist in a small space with my cats before I knew I had allergies, it presented as if I had chronic bronchitis. Heavy wheezing, coughing, couldn't sleep due to coughing, and of course the cats would curl up on me because they were concerned about me being sick. :downs: Doctors kept putting me on anti-biotics until I forcibly took myself to a nose-and-throat guy who identified it as allergies in less than three minutes.

Hilariously I just vacuumed sans mask and if anything my lungs are clearer and my coughing is mostly gone. Any suggestions for purifier brands?

This seems to be an amazon favorite
https://www.amazon.com/LEVOIT-LV-PU...ps%2C133&sr=8-5

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Gaj posted:

Hilariously I just vacuumed sans mask and if anything my lungs are clearer and my coughing is mostly gone. Any suggestions for purifier brands?

This seems to be an amazon favorite
https://www.amazon.com/LEVOIT-LV-PU...ps%2C133&sr=8-5

Some vacuums have HEPA filters in them, so that could be helping you out.

I have a Winix 5500-2 right now, but the Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier seemed to be an internet favorite the last time I was looking into adding another one to my house.

Shroomie fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 31, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So while Bean was blocked up we got her some wet food, and babied her with pets, and forced mineral oil and water down her face hole.

Well now she's back to normal and is eating and drinking fine. Except when we feed her she glares at us like "where's the wet food? What is this madness?" loving spoiled cat

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Len posted:

So while Bean was blocked up we got her some wet food, and babied her with pets, and forced mineral oil and water down her face hole.

Well now she's back to normal and is eating and drinking fine. Except when we feed her she glares at us like "where's the wet food? What is this madness?" loving spoiled cat

You can use that to your advantage. My ninja cat is a door-darter-outer, faster than the human eye can see. But he loves wet food so very much that if I need to be running in and out of the house for a few minutes all I have to do is tap on a can, and he comes running without fail. I give him a dab of the food on his cat tree in the back room, close the back room door until I'm done with the groceries or the pizza has arrived or whatever. He gets a wet food "treat" a couple of times a week this way, and we're both happy.

Spoiled cats rule!

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Vet follow-up said that my cat's leg infection appears beaten (:woop:) and that his crotch appears to be healing well post-neutering, but that if he seems to be licking either 'too much' a cone needs to go back on. How much is too much?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I use a diff model of Coway, but I do recommend the brand--theyre fairly affordable and work great.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

tomanton posted:

Vet follow-up said that my cat's leg infection appears beaten (:woop:) and that his crotch appears to be healing well post-neutering, but that if he seems to be licking either 'too much' a cone needs to go back on. How much is too much?

If he licks so much he opens the wound up, I would assume. I'd check up on the stitches every day and if it's not closing up, bring him in so they can restitch it.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a cat tree for a cat that can't jump? My little guy can't get more than a couple feet of vertical height. I've seen a few that have a little staircase or ramp, but then start branching up into ledges that I'm afraid he won't be able to get up to.

He's a very anxious cat in general. When he's with me he's very loving and loves to cuddle for a few minutes, be picked up and held, and sit on my lap, but outside of interacting with me it seems like he's scared of Everything. My parents got him a really nice cat bed for Christmas. He's terrified of it. It doesn't make a lot of sense. I just want him to be happy and secure. Any suggestions?

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Does anyone have any suggestions for a cat who has decided to be a complete rear end in a top hat?

She has started to wake me up at like 4:30 am EVERY MORNING by shouting at me, then when I ignore her she squeezes a paw under the duvet and viciously claws me until I am wide awake. I would kick her out of the bedroom but:

1) Then she would cry piteously outside of my door all night, and
2) Her chill sister sleeps curled up next to me every night and has since she was a kitten, I would feel awful kicking her out as well.

As far as I can tell the rear end in a top hat cat mostly wants cuddles? Which she is absolutely not getting by doing this but she seems happy to just repeat at half hour intervals and utterly ruin my sleep. Obviously if she does it again then I am just going to have to kick them both out anyway because cute as waking up to have cats curled atop me is, it is not worth being clawed and denied the ability to sleep.

Also both are about 20 months old.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a cat tree for a cat that can't jump? My little guy can't get more than a couple feet of vertical height. I've seen a few that have a little staircase or ramp, but then start branching up into ledges that I'm afraid he won't be able to get up to.

He's a very anxious cat in general. When he's with me he's very loving and loves to cuddle for a few minutes, be picked up and held, and sit on my lap, but outside of interacting with me it seems like he's scared of Everything. My parents got him a really nice cat bed for Christmas. He's terrified of it. It doesn't make a lot of sense. I just want him to be happy and secure. Any suggestions?

We have one that's about 30" tall, hollow and with a shelf in the middle and a hole up to the top. No jumping necessary.

Cat trees don't have to be 20' monstrosities. Get something small.

Something like this, perhaps: https://www.amazon.com/Go-Pet-Club-...upplies&sr=1-54

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Deteriorata posted:

We have one that's about 30" tall, hollow and with a shelf in the middle and a hole up to the top. No jumping necessary.

Cat trees don't have to be 20' monstrosities. Get something small.

Something like this, perhaps: https://www.amazon.com/Go-Pet-Club-...upplies&sr=1-54

This looks awesome, thank you for the advice!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

This looks awesome, thank you for the advice!

Wanna rub that belly. :kimchi:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Patrat posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a cat who has decided to be a complete rear end in a top hat?

She has started to wake me up at like 4:30 am EVERY MORNING by shouting at me, then when I ignore her she squeezes a paw under the duvet and viciously claws me until I am wide awake. I would kick her out of the bedroom but:

1) Then she would cry piteously outside of my door all night, and
2) Her chill sister sleeps curled up next to me every night and has since she was a kitten, I would feel awful kicking her out as well.

As far as I can tell the rear end in a top hat cat mostly wants cuddles? Which she is absolutely not getting by doing this but she seems happy to just repeat at half hour intervals and utterly ruin my sleep. Obviously if she does it again then I am just going to have to kick them both out anyway because cute as waking up to have cats curled atop me is, it is not worth being clawed and denied the ability to sleep.

Also both are about 20 months old.

Do you free feed them dry food? It may be hungry. One of ours will come bug us early in the morning if the food dish ran empty overnight. She just jumps up on the bed and quietly waits for me to wake up, though.

Otherwise, the solution is going to have to be ignoring it completely, including finding a way to seal the edges of the duvet so it can't get at you. Ignoring bad behavior and reinforcing good behavior is the only trick I know of for training cats.

The worst thing you can do is reinforce the bad behavior by trying to make them happy. That just teaches them that if they bug you enough they will get what they want.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Some cats are just nervous like that, his personality may never change. Just give him all the cuddles and love you can and be patient.

Patrat posted:

Kick her out. Every time. Is her yowling at the door any better than clawing you? At least with this option you can put in some earplugs and not get clawed, and hopefully you'll train her to stop bugging you if you're consistent with it.

As for her sister, just put a litter box and food/water in the bedroom and you don't have to kick her out as well.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I don't understand how people can free feed, I have never seen Katya stop eating before her bowl is clean and she still begs for treats and food all day. She would be incredibly fat if we didn't regulate her intake for her.

She wakes us up at 7am which isn't too bad, we do have to get up for her breakfast on the weekends but she lets us sleep in afterwards. Thinking of getting one of those timed feeding robots so we won't have to be such a slave to her rhythm though.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

InvisibleMonkey posted:

I don't understand how people can free feed, I have never seen Katya stop eating before her bowl is clean and she still begs for treats and food all day. She would be incredibly fat if we didn't regulate her intake for her.

Works for some cats, not for others. My current cats all free feed and eat a reasonable amount, but I've also had/cared for cats (in particular one friends' cat) that eat everything they see and then beg/steal more.

My guess is it probably has to do with the access to food they had in kittenhood - if there's anxieties about losing it, they'll eat everything they can. But that's speculation.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Works for some cats, not for others. My current cats all free feed and eat a reasonable amount, but I've also had/cared for cats (in particular one friends' cat) that eat everything they see and then beg/steal more.

My guess is it probably has to do with the access to food they had in kittenhood - if there's anxieties about losing it, they'll eat everything they can. But that's speculation.

Yeah, Katya was a stray and although she's surprisingly social, I don't think she'll ever learn what food security is.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'll tell you what's frusterating, having one cat that has food anxiety causing him to overeat if there's food out, and having another cat that has food anxiety that causes him to spray when there's NO food out. Glad I'm not in that situation anymore.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Two of my cats can be free fed and they'll have a healthy weight. The one rear end in a top hat who ruins this platonic setup cannot be trusted and I was told in no uncertain terms he needed to lose weight. So now they ALL get fed at set times and try to tag team me in the morning to rustle me out of bed to be fed. I figure I have a few more months of trying to ignore them before they give up or I splash a pile of cash for an automated feeder.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Patrat posted:

You might try keeping a small spray bottle of water right by you, and aim and fire at the first bit of antisocial behavior.

The amount of water won't hurt your bedding or the cat, but with most cats it will act as a powerful deterrent. My guy started liking to claw the underside of my box spring, and although he laughs at most forms of correction, it only took a couple of sessions to correct him with this, and he now desists when he sees me even reach for the bottle.

Like anything it might not work with every single cat, but since it is cheap and completely harmless, it's worth a try. Bonus: you won't even have to awaken fully to implement it.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I will definitely give those suggestions a try, it is definitely not food given that I do free feed my cats dry food - they get wet food twice a day but I deliberately made sure that the morning meal is after I get out of the shower not immediately after I wake up. I made that mistake when they were kittens and they of course kept trying to push morning wake up earlier and earlier.

I have confirmed it is cuddles she wants though. She came and started the exact same thing later this morning when I was reading in bed and melted into a purring snuggle floof against me, if she was willing to wait until I am actually awake it would be adorable but she seems to feel that she can set the schedule and I need more than five hours of sleep a night.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Or you get the rare super rear end in a top hat cat like sleek used to be and not respond to water sprays at all. The only time it really deterred him from anything would be if you bullseyed him in the butthole.

I still miss that jerk.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We tried one of those gravity feeders with rear end in a top hat once, it lasted a week before we gave it away. He managed to eat the entire three pound container between Monday and Friday. Gluttonous little gently caress.

Yesterday I was sitting at the table putting together a model and I watched him hop up, look me in the eye, and grab a loaf of bread. He looked so proud before I snatched it out of his face and bopped him with it.

And then there Princess Bean who went from accepting her dry food to looking personally slighted because she got some two days in a row while she was sick.

I love these little balls of chaos but they don't make it easy.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Patrat posted:

I will definitely give those suggestions a try, it is definitely not food given that I do free feed my cats dry food - they get wet food twice a day but I deliberately made sure that the morning meal is after I get out of the shower not immediately after I wake up. I made that mistake when they were kittens and they of course kept trying to push morning wake up earlier and earlier.

I have confirmed it is cuddles she wants though. She came and started the exact same thing later this morning when I was reading in bed and melted into a purring snuggle floof against me, if she was willing to wait until I am actually awake it would be adorable but she seems to feel that she can set the schedule and I need more than five hours of sleep a night.

Awww, purring snuggles are hard to use any kind of discipline on :3: If it's cuddles she wants, could you try putting her under the covers at your side while you go back to sleep? (I realize that this only works if you're a person who can get back to sleep, and not everyone can.)

Another random thought - if this happens at 5am-ish, could it be that she's cold and is coming to you for warmth (or just to tell you "I'm cold, please make me not cold")? I set my thermostat pretty low for nighttime as a lot of people do, and 5am is about when it hits the minimum. If so, a heated cat bed might be worth a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

TofuDiva posted:

Awww, purring snuggles are hard to use any kind of discipline on :3: If it's cuddles she wants, could you try putting her under the covers at your side while you go back to sleep? (I realize that this only works if you're a person who can get back to sleep, and not everyone can.)

Another random thought - if this happens at 5am-ish, could it be that she's cold and is coming to you for warmth (or just to tell you "I'm cold, please make me not cold")? I set my thermostat pretty low for nighttime as a lot of people do, and 5am is about when it hits the minimum. If so, a heated cat bed might be worth a try.

I tried just keeping the door shut and both cats outside last night and she responded by, at about the same time, starting to cry outside of the door and scratch at it for I am not sure how long, it was at least easier to ignore than having her literally clawing me.

I am pretty sure it is not the temperature though, the one who kicks up the fuss is the long haired cat whilst her short furred sister is generally chill. That said the short furred one was literally asleep against my bedroom door and seemed pretty indignant she had been denied her usual bed when I did wake up this morning.