Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Bernstrike posted:

someone with a baby yoda av was just going to waste them anyway

True story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I wasn't a huge fan of the final episode.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Alhazred posted:

The movie version looks like a playstation npc while the tv version looks like an actual physical being:

The crazy part is that Dr. M's body in the movie was an actual dude. He was a fitness model named Greg Plitt. Interesting and tragic story. West Point grad, Army Ranger, turned fitness model, turned actor. He was killed by a train in Burbank while filming an unlicensed commercial in 2015.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Servaetes posted:

Yeah the TV version of him looks like absolute garbage, sorry

The bald cap the actor wore gave him a Megamind shaped dome. He looks goofy in the show.

Dr Manhattan: TV < Movie

Ozymandias: TV > Movie

Silk Spectre: TV > Movie

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Professor Shark posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of the final episode.

You monster

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hilario Baldness posted:

The bald cap the actor wore gave him a Megamind shaped dome. He looks goofy in the show.

Dr Manhattan: TV < Movie

Ozymandias: TV > Movie

Silk Spectre: TV > Movie

No fair to compare an already jaded Spectre to the movie/comic version that just bounced off of people.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
I still wouldn't say TV Ozy is a faithful adaption of the comic character although perhaps it was a purposeful re-interpretation on Lindeloff's part. In general he just was too outwardly psychopathic and megalomaniacal, in the few appearances in the comic outside of the republican serial villain monologue he seemed to carry a certain moroseness and dissonance toward his scheme that never really felt applicable to Iron's portrayal.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

lurker2006 posted:

I still wouldn't say TV Ozy is a faithful adaption of the comic character although perhaps it was a purposeful re-interpretation on Lindeloff's part. In general he just was too outwardly psychopathic and megalomaniacal, in the few appearances in the comic outside of the republican serial villain monologue he seemed to carry a certain moroseness and dissonance toward his scheme that never really felt applicable to Iron's portrayal.

I figured a lot of it could come up easily to decades as a recluse plus "killing millions changes a person."

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Killer robot posted:

I figured a lot of it could come up easily to decades as a recluse plus "killing millions changes a person."

Yeah plus his feelings that he saved the world and nobody really knows/appreciates it. I’d imagine living non M’s SimEarth for a few years didn’t help any, either.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Even Ozy said he was going insane on Europa, so that wasn't his normal.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The tape is still pretty funny though...so like, you send that to the president for some reason and then eventually it's just something random members of congress get to see when they're initiated or something?
Why???
I get the need to be recognized, narcissism, ego, insanity, that Ozy is a flawed and stupid dork and always has been, but your entire plan has always hinged on secrecy so that should maybe be the one thing you never do.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I think Veidt imagined Redford would be grateful and ask him to be his mentor and trusted advisor. He could use Redford as his tool in shaping a better world. Instead he can’t even get a callback.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, and there's nothing wrong with characters being short-sighted or irrational or self-destructive tbf, plenty of us are.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I assumed the tape didn't get passed around until Veidt's disappearance, but I don't remember if the show said when Congress got it to confirm that one way or the other.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Also, remember that creating a video (in which you lay out your master plan) isn't a huge deal in a world where it's not likely that it'll get leaked. In the Watchmenaverse, there's no Internet. People aren't downloading anything. The only way to see that video is to get a physical copy of it, and that's not easy. Veidt's risk in creating that video may seem ridiculously careless to us, but in the context of the world he lives in, it's really not too crazy. Especially if you have to tell the person who you've manipulated, unwitting, into power that you need him to do some specific things, or not to do certain things.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

tarlibone posted:

Also, remember that creating a video (in which you lay out your master plan) isn't a huge deal in a world where it's not likely that it'll get leaked. In the Watchmenaverse, there's no Internet. People aren't downloading anything.
I only vaugly understand what donut twitter is and I'd gladly give it up to live in the world of the squids

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I can't stop thinking about "What if Hooded Justice was black, and one of the central themes of Watchmen, about superheroes being fascist toxic masculinity incarnate, was recontextualized to be about the cultural appropriation of extralegal justice in a system that was, and still is today, fundamentally racist?" and how that's a million-dollar idea right there if ever there was one. The idea that you could come up with solid gold like that, and think "but we also need to know what Dr. Manhattan and Ozymandias are up to" is loving incomprehensible to me.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I can't stop thinking about "What if Hooded Justice was black, and one of the central themes of Watchmen, about superheroes being fascist toxic masculinity incarnate, was recontextualized to be about the cultural appropriation of extralegal justice in a system that was, and still is today, fundamentally racist?" and how that's a million-dollar idea right there if ever there was one. The idea that you could come up with solid gold like that, and think "but we also need to know what Dr. Manhattan and Ozymandias are up to" is loving incomprehensible to me.

The thing is that the show clearly wouldn't have been made without the link to Watchmen, and just existing in the universe probably wasn't going to be enough to convince to execs to tell the story they wanted to tell. Alternately, Lindelof really couldn't think of any way to put a happy ending on a story about racial injustice in America without granting a black woman divine power, and didn't want the show to be a total bummer. :shrug: Regardless, I really wish Dr. Manhattan had stayed in the background, because I think referring to him as a mysterious presence was way more interesting than actually seeing what we saw of him.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sinteres posted:

The thing is that the show clearly wouldn't have been made without the link to Watchmen, and just existing in the universe probably wasn't going to be enough to convince to execs to tell the story they wanted to tell. Alternately, Lindelof really couldn't think of any way to put a happy ending on a story about racial injustice in America without granting a black woman divine power, and didn't want the show to be a total bummer. :shrug: Regardless, I really wish Dr. Manhattan had stayed in the background, because I think referring to him as a mysterious presence was way more interesting than actually seeing what we saw of him.

I honestly don't think it was the exec's call. And I also don't think Lindelof felt it was 100% necessary to have a happy ending to a sequel to Watchmen. I think ultimately he's a fanboy who, in his own way, deferred to the original comic as sacred, without being willing to really, truly examine its shortcomings as a commentary on 1986 America. Alan Moore is, after all, a white man, and he's not perfect, and as thematically rich as Watchmen is, it all but entirely ignores the concept of racial injustice. Lindelof started out with an idea that was truly subversive of the original work, an idea that essentially called out Alan Moore for crafting a story about systems of authority and accountability while utterly failing to address racism. But, after showing their hand in what is considered by most professional critics to be one of the best hours of television this decade, they retreated to the realm of "BUT WE GOTTA HAVE DR. MANHATTAN. IT'S NOT WATCHMEN WITHOUT DR. MANHATTAN."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I thought Jeremy Irons was funny and don't think he really affected the story at all. It was even kind of a fun subversion to have him be a pathetic, campy moron.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I honestly don't think it was the exec's call. And I also don't think Lindelof felt it was 100% necessary to have a happy ending to a sequel to Watchmen. I think ultimately he's a fanboy who, in his own way, deferred to the original comic as sacred, without being willing to really, truly examine its shortcomings as a commentary on 1986 America. Alan Moore is, after all, a white man, and he's not perfect, and as thematically rich as Watchmen is, it all but entirely ignores the concept of racial injustice. Lindelof started out with an idea that was truly subversive of the original work, an idea that essentially called out Alan Moore for crafting a story about systems of authority and accountability while utterly failing to address racism. But, after showing their hand in what is considered by most professional critics to be one of the best hours of television this decade, they retreated to the realm of "BUT WE GOTTA HAVE DR. MANHATTAN. IT'S NOT WATCHMEN WITHOUT DR. MANHATTAN."

I don't think he felt like he needed to find a happy ending to a story about Watchmen, I think he felt like he needed to find a happy ending to a story about racial injustice. He's expressed a lot of discomfort about being the one who created that show in the first place, and also a lot of pessimism about the plausibility of defeating white supremacy in the real world, so he just gave someone god powers so she could fight it.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I thought Jeremy Irons was funny and don't think he really affected the story at all. It was even kind of a fun subversion to have him be a pathetic, campy moron.

Jeremy Irons as Ozymandias was a loving delight and I loved every minute of it except for maybe the fart. I found 8 & 9 to be moving, satisfying hours of television.
But it's loving Watchmen, and above all else what that name brand means to me is "intricately crafted, with all elements serving clear and effective thematic and narrative purpose."
But wanting that from any television program is a fool's game, so...

Sinteres posted:

I don't think he felt like he needed to find a happy ending to a story about Watchmen, I think he felt like he needed to find a happy ending to a story about racial injustice. He's expressed a lot of discomfort about being the one who created that show in the first place, and also a lot of pessimism about the plausibility of defeating white supremacy in the real world, so he just gave someone god powers so she could fight it.

Well that's its own kind of dishonesty, isn't it?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
If nothing else, this show was worth it just to prove that yes, the Squid can absolutely work in live action, and anyone who said otherwise was wrong.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Ordered the graphic novel from Amazon, regarding the Hooded Justice discussion, it's pretty amusing that in the 'Under The Hood' sections Hollis pretty explicitly states that Hooded Justice was vocally pro third-reich before WW2.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Whats wrong with the fart

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Sinteres posted:

Maybe a story about racial injustice in America shouldn't have a happy ending. At least until you know, that even just sort of happens in reality?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
A Black Lady cop who tortures the poo poo out of people to get information (which totally works) and then ascends to godhood without a second thought is exactly my definition of a happy ending.

I also like how they solved racism by laserbeaming the everloving gently caress out of the secret cabal of racists who organized the Tulsa massacre and were not in any serious way a representation of systemic cultural and political white supremacy. Lol they had a trap door!

Also we can totally trust the police.

That Ozymandias stuff was weird though. Like...super weird.

So weird.

I mean like...weeeeird.

He like...totally killed those people-things. And like...he got those people-things out of a lake?

And then they like...baked a horseshoe into a cake???

Lol weird.

Cuz then he totally used the horseshoe to dig his way out of his prison cell!

Soooooooo weird.

Who comes up with this stuff and what are they smoking?!?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If Dr Manhattan transposed or copied that Scottish manor onto Europa, how did Veidt's reggae records get there

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mameluke posted:

If Dr Manhattan transposed or copied that Scottish manor onto Europa, how did Veidt's reggae records get there

I assume it had continued to be occupied until 2009 when it got fwoomped onto Europa, I thought they were a record collection that was already there.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Yes, why would we want to include the two most important people in the already-built world?

Ozymandias committed a monstrous crime on a scale not seen since the 1940’s that literally changed the world, and got off with no consequences. Mad white privilege.

They made Dr Manhattan, the literal God of that universe, into a black man, who gave up all his power to love a black woman. They raise white children together.

I think this is why you don’t have a production deal with HBO.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA shortlisted Watchmen as one of his favorite TV shows this year, clearly he was on the fence until they introduced Dr. Manhattan.

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/1211331851358494720?s=19

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Kodo posted:

PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA shortlisted Watchmen as one of his favorite TV shows this year, clearly he was on the fence until they introduced Dr. Manhattan.

hmmm ok now I'm having serious misgivings

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

After a couple weeks this is where I'm ending up I think. Up to and including the HJ and Vietnam episodes it felt like they were going somewhere new and uncomfortable and therefore exciting, then retreated back to a place of known comfort with the Manhattan and Viedt stuff. I dunno it's complicated but I felt like they stepped back on the last couple eps.

Not what it could have been, 8.5/10 for the whole series

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'd like the next season to focus on another group of people, but I can't really see where they'd go with it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

I'd like the next season to focus on another group of people, but I can't really see where they'd go with it.

we shouldnt, thats what writers jobs are, they come up with interesting poo poo that we couldnt come up with.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Kodo posted:

Heh, I like this. Obama and HBO's Watchmen have been closely related in my head for a few weeks now because I realized I treat them exactly the same:

I am very disappointed in them both, BUT, if I run in to someone who really hates them, I will defend Obama/Watchmen, because there's a good chance that the person who hates them is definitely a racist.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

because there's a good chance that the person who hates them is definitely a racist.

lol that's really loving stupid

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Thom and the Heads posted:

lol that's really loving stupid

You'd think, but literally 100% of people who are eager to say Obama Bad or Watchman Sucks hate minorities

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
ur a huge dipshit actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Watchmen Universe Obama would take Veidt up on his offer for assistance and drop tactical squid strikes on civilian marriages enemy combatants