Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As I recall, it amps up experience gain but doesn't give you more floor items, so your levels should keep up, but not necessarily your equipment.

experience was tuned so clearing a floor would leave you at the same level as normal mode, but item density was about the same so you'd have way fewer total items with how much smaller the floors were. I was conflicted about it it since it cut down on a lot of fluff but it massively hurt the smithing/tinkering/alchemy skills, which I enjoyed using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Tollymain posted:

someday when im not surviving capitalism and mental illness im going to surmount the game development program learning curve and itll be all over for yall

big mood. Honestly a game I'd love to see is a mordheim style of deal where you're tasked with snagging mcguffinite from a big nasty city so you like, move your cart around the overworld, encamping on the randomly generated city and delve down into the unusually deep and cavernous depths underneath collecting this junk and selling it to the highest bidder stalker style and you hire your characters on as the run goes games over when your entire band is merked. So you can delve down as either a stunted goblin with a knapsack and a sharpened stick or paladin von badass and losing either of them has different implications for you, the whole time getting infected with vampirism, werewolf disease and mcguffinite mutations. Learning magic, picking up cursed poo poo, getting stronger but at GREAT COST but its ok because no single dude is your specific character so you don't feel as cheated when your guy returns with a bug where his head used to be.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Motherfucker posted:

big mood. Honestly a game I'd love to see is a mordheim style of deal where you're tasked with snagging mcguffinite from a big nasty city so you like, move your cart around the overworld, encamping on the randomly generated city and delve down into the unusually deep and cavernous depths underneath collecting this junk and selling it to the highest bidder stalker style and you hire your characters on as the run goes games over when your entire band is merked. So you can delve down as either a stunted goblin with a knapsack and a sharpened stick or paladin von badass and losing either of them has different implications for you, the whole time getting infected with vampirism, werewolf disease and mcguffinite mutations. Learning magic, picking up cursed poo poo, getting stronger but at GREAT COST but its ok because no single dude is your specific character so you don't feel as cheated when your guy returns with a bug where his head used to be.

Isn't this Darkest Dungeon? I didn't play it very much.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Isn't this Darkest Dungeon? I didn't play it very much.

Sorta but only thematically, I'd like some actual exploring the spaces and fighting instead of... that.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Monolith expansion hype!!! What a nice surprise

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

goferchan posted:

Monolith expansion hype!!! What a nice surprise

I was sort of wondering if we had a thread for that.

The new area that leads to The Warden seems a little too common, but maybe that's just because I go in even when very ill prepared (default weapon on level 1? sure, let's go, how hard co:gibs:)

(e) by the way, I can't make up my mind. You KBM or gamepad for this?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I was sort of wondering if we had a thread for that.

The new area that leads to The Warden seems a little too common, but maybe that's just because I go in even when very ill prepared (default weapon on level 1? sure, let's go, how hard co:gibs:)

(e) by the way, I can't make up my mind. You KBM or gamepad for this?

You get in there by beating a boss with over 2.0 multiplier. I play with gamepad. I also only just found out you can turn on a laser sight for your ship, which makes aiming with gamepad a lot better.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh, I could have sworn it was random. No wonder it drops so many "above 2.5x multiplier, get this effect" items

Is there a mechanics/unlocks guide for the game as a whole anywhere? I have all four seals, but I haven't beaten the floor that that unlocks yet. I've seen videos of secret rooms besides the usual, and something called Breaches too, but idk how to access those.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Not that I know of. Breaches you should just stumble across playing normally, though. If you see a weird cross, destroy it and it'll open up 1 or 2 locked rooms on the level.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Sacrificial Toast posted:

You get in there by beating a boss with over 2.0 multiplier. I play with gamepad. I also only just found out you can turn on a laser sight for your ship, which makes aiming with gamepad a lot better.
Wait. Does that mean you can get in there four times to light all four torches in one run? I assumed it was a one and done thing because I'm bad and don't get it often.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
This christmas event in ToME might help me actually get a character through the Insane difficulty. I opened up a christmas present in-game and out rolld an additional prodigy point.

Who knew that all it takes is the developer giving you a third prodigy point, so you can go for a build that hugely buffs your strength on a caster, lets that strength also benefit your mindpower instead of just your physical power, and then makes it so that half of your hugely buffed strength also applies to all your other stats, so you end up with over 200 in your primary stat during battle :v:

edit: funnily enough i lucked into a fourth prodigy point later on, which led to me as an Oozemancer, a class notorious for being nigh unkillable but having low damage output, hitting a 10k crit on a poor critter. For reference, there's several achievements for damage spikes, and the highest one is for 6k.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 28, 2019

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

pumpinglemma posted:

Wait. Does that mean you can get in there four times to light all four torches in one run? I assumed it was a one and done thing because I'm bad and don't get it often.

As far as I can tell, you can only go once, but the level you enter on determines how many paths you can go down before challenging the warden.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

As far as I can tell, you can only go once, but the level you enter on determines how many paths you can go down before challenging the warden.
Yeah, that tracks with my most recent run. Turns out if you go down there on a later floor and get most of the bonuses, then that plus the main reward is enough to carry you through the rest of the run pretty easily. And also through the extra floor you get if you picked up the glitch on level 2, and even through the boss of that floor, who I cannot imagine beating without a massively broken build.

Super spoilers: Oh god they added loops to the game :gonk:

This DLC is good as heck and anyone with any interest in Gungeon/Isaaclikes owes it to themselves to get Monolith.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I finally got my first floor 6 completion in Monolith yesterday :toot:

I need to beat it on Hard next with D-13 right?

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

This is exactly my experience with the game. Should have stuck with a shorter game length. If you were to clear each of the 8 area bosses once, and then head to the Darkest Dungeon, I think that would be about right.

Counter - you are welcome to enter DD from day one, and don’t have to fight the bosses at all!

Ok, I get your point though - you really need Level 6, we’ll kitted our heroes to fight, which is where the grinding sets in. I think there is a radiant mode that accelerates character growth - that’s a fairly good start for people new to DD. I played regular, then radiant, then Stygian with CC.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Monolith needs to be on switch

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It needs portrait/tate mode on pc, if nothing else :argh:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
As someone who enjoys but is bad and will never get better, is the monolith dlc for me?

Should start on my unexplored guide today. In totally unrelated news I just finished quest 5 in demon crawl and

Well

I wasn’t really expecting that

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Monolith temple I think there's an extra spicy bonus boss at the end of temple 4 too

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Would turning on the aiming laser and hitbox be cheating, do you think, 'cos I'm getting trounced as D-13 :(

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

LordSloth posted:

As someone who enjoys but is bad and will never get better, is the monolith dlc for me?
Yes, it adds a ton of stuff even in the first five floors.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

Would turning on the aiming laser and hitbox be cheating, do you think, 'cos I'm getting trounced as D-13 :(

No why would it be. Laser just confuses me though (w/ kb&m)

And yeah the dlc like overhauls the whole game, changes the way the maps are structured, adds multiple perk systems and huge numbers of new rooms and enemies. It's worth it

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 28, 2019

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Hello friends I've spent my entire vacation playing Hades

I've gotten good enough that I can reliably escape with pretty much any weapon as long as I can pick up a key Boon or Daedalus Upgrade. Part of me wants to try and make a Hard Mode save, but I also don't want to spend a ton of time re-grinding all of the Gemstones and other stuff.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

lets hang out posted:

No why would it be. Laser just confuses me though (w/ kb&m)

iunno. prideful proscription i guess :shrug:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
In Monolith I know for certain I've ended a boss at 2.1x but didn't get the Gameboy for the temple shortcut -- I think in that case I entered with a Shield so it might be a "no-hit" requirement rather than a multiplier requirement.

By the way, does anyone know if there's a secret connected to the rooms where each exit is lit by skull torches? I notice they're called out as well on the minimap, otherwise I would've assumed they were just decorative.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Does anyone happen to have the big effortpost someone made about how wands work in Noita? I've been having trouble trying to figure out the interactions (and surviving past the second or third world).

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

The aiming laser in Monolith is reasonably helpful for playing with controller. Makes some weapons like Railgun a lot nicer to use.

RoboCicero posted:

In Monolith I know for certain I've ended a boss at 2.1x but didn't get the Gameboy for the temple shortcut -- I think in that case I entered with a Shield so it might be a "no-hit" requirement rather than a multiplier requirement.

By the way, does anyone know if there's a secret connected to the rooms where each exit is lit by skull torches? I notice they're called out as well on the minimap, otherwise I would've assumed they were just decorative.

I think those are just extra dangerous rooms.

Dalaram posted:

Counter - you are welcome to enter DD from day one, and don’t have to fight the bosses at all!

Ok, I get your point though - you really need Level 6, we’ll kitted our heroes to fight, which is where the grinding sets in. I think there is a radiant mode that accelerates character growth - that’s a fairly good start for people new to DD. I played regular, then radiant, then Stygian with CC.

I started on Radiant, and it was still too much of a grind for me.

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 28, 2019

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Catacomb Kids is getting updated again and is still crushingly difficult and stupidly fun. It's a nice little break from playing Hades just up.to, but not beyond, the edge of burnout.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
sometimes monolith is hard, other times you get a god gun and shred everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i26uCh7A7x4

Ciaphas posted:

iunno. prideful proscription i guess :shrug:
Most bullet hells have a way to see your hitbox location so it's not a big deal at all.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
So I played a bunch of Hades.

It's a great game. It's pretty much what I envisioned when we were discussing a arpg roguelike years ago, probably in this thread.

What I dislike: once you figure out the basic win condition - two debuffs and one aoe, it becomes trivial until somewhat high heat.

If your daedalus/weapon upgrades come late, you can get sorta hosed since some are alot better on specific attacks. This mostly applies to the weaker weapons. There's already a reroll system in place, why not let us reroll boons?

I'd like to see some dead cells branching between areas. I imagine this is something that will come later since there's barely enough enemies to fill out the branches as it is.

The ganeplay is top notch. You feel like 2D dante murdering the poo poo out of demons and almost every skill and weapon is unique. Pushing buttons feels great. If you like arpgs, buy this or pm me a haiku and I might gift you one.

*limit of one.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Seconding Hades, it's great. It's not finished though, so I'd suggest people wait until release before getting it; currently it seems that everyone (myself included) just binges on it horribly, plays around with the NG+ difficulty modifiers, then loses interest when they see the grind the devs put in it for the voracious EA players. It's a good game, a drat good one. With a ton of polish. Just don't spoil christmas and open the gift early, imo.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

On one hand, there's a solid argument for waiting until it's in a more complete state.

On the other hand, there's a ton of writing and interactivity that will likely disappear once it reaches said complete state - there are a lot of references to things being unfinished and the vast majority of them are pretty funny.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Does anyone happen to have the big effortpost someone made about how wands work in Noita? I've been having trouble trying to figure out the interactions (and surviving past the second or third world).

This one?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

experience was tuned so clearing a floor would leave you at the same level as normal mode, but item density was about the same so you'd have way fewer total items with how much smaller the floors were. I was conflicted about it it since it cut down on a lot of fluff but it massively hurt the smithing/tinkering/alchemy skills, which I enjoyed using.

Provided a big relative boost to ripping off shops though which was my favorite method of getting new stuff anyway. I liked NTTG, it was the only way i ever had the patience to actually finish a dredmor run.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Tons of Roguish games on switch eshop sale atm
Wondering if Im missing out on any lesser known good switch ports,
Robot Named Fight is 99cents
Any other notables?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Is anyone psychotic enough to play Tomenet with me?

I'm both terrible solo and indecisive enough that I never know what I want to play.

https://tomenet.eu/

Multiplayer, realtime version of Tome 2 (I think). Pretty good dungeon crawling experience, gets pretty intense. You can play a 1 life mode, or a few similar finite variants, or go "Everlasting" where death is merely a setback.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Heavily based on Tome 2, but very different in some key ways (other than the obvious ones). Way less races and classes, primarily. No RohanKnights or Thaumaturgy or anything. Infuriatingly, there isn't a subwindow for visible monsters which has gotten me killed at least twice. It's really neat, though, and was fun to gently caress around with with friends when the US was up (maybe it still is?).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I love how Dungeonmans gives you opportunities to showboat, while also being perfectly willing to shove your face in for trying to showboat. There's a scroll named "Xespera's Challenge" that instantly promotes all enemies within 5 spaces to champion (which levels them up, gives them significant stat boosts, and gives them enemy-specific special abilities, e.g. champion liches can drain your strength and champion skeleton archers can throw a whole mess of bones at you). In dungeons, you can find a portal to the Hall of Champions...which, appropriately, dumps you into a room with a bunch of champion enemies. If you survive, the exit portal will say "Ready to leave, champ?" Similarly, you can find portals to monster parties, which look like this:

(that's me in the middle, with the purple shadow effect)

It took a great force of will for me to not read Xespera's Challenge as my first action here. Good thing too; they would have pasted me fast; as it is I barely survived to turn the party into this:

The exit prompt for that one included "This party is dead anyway." :v:

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

Heavily based on Tome 2, but very different in some key ways (other than the obvious ones). Way less races and classes, primarily. No RohanKnights or Thaumaturgy or anything. Infuriatingly, there isn't a subwindow for visible monsters which has gotten me killed at least twice. It's really neat, though, and was fun to gently caress around with with friends when the US was up (maybe it still is?).

Don't think US is still up. I've been playing a little on EU recently, and it seems fine from the East Coast.

My deaths have 100% because of me deciding to take my level 5 warrior to orc caves with no blink scrolls or enough healing, not lag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratt
Nov 3, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know of any roguelikes where you control a party of adventurers, instead of a single character? Ideally one with real time combat, similar to Baldur's Gate or Infested Planet. I'm slowly plinking away on one of my own, and I'm curious how other games might approach it.