Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Ya'll know you can be dissapointed that 3 didn't win without being asses about it, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

GunnerJ posted:

What's going on

there's an official fan tourney going on to get people to make art in the comic's universe and people are upset that the goon lost to the non-goon in the latest round

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GunnerJ posted:

What's going on

some sort of comic accessible only to the worshipers of Eris

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
strike while the iron is hot but strike in the right place

start your own project you mentioned

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

kinda sucks that the copout idea came from abbadon, all else aside

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Eh, I think one can fairly be critical of ‘death by old age’ in this context - but then I’m generally pretty tired of the trend of insisting heroic characters never actually have to commit to antagonism which pops up in plenty of media, especially when it’s not well-supported by the story. It used to be surprising or exciting but now it’s painfully cliche, and serves to avoid real conflict by having the hero erase it. In this particular context, it feels like a cop out, even though Abbadon suggested it.

I’m sure the comic was well written and drawn overall, but Trolley Problem was pretty much precisely at my limit for ‘protagonist avoids actually doing the downside of what they set out to do, by sheer virtue of protagonism’ - and this goes a few steps further.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I really liked Shyster's last round against Kara, they did a brilliant job with Effie. I just think that 3 got robbed.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

flatluigi posted:

there's an official fan tourney going on to get people to make art in the comic's universe and people are upset that the goon lost to the non-goon in the latest round

3 being a goon has nothing to do with it. I was rooting for Jolly King in this last round but I'm not upset that he lost because Magi did a great job with the character and brought his story to an end that left me satisfied. Everything about Shyster's comic was pointless, the monster didn't matter and nobody was in any actual danger. Then it goes and gives a good character a wet fart of an ending that doesn't actually bring any of her plot threads to a close.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

GunnerJ posted:

What's going on

Battle of the fan fics :getin:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Joe Slowboat posted:

Eh, I think one can fairly be critical of ‘death by old age’ in this context - but then I’m generally pretty tired of the trend of insisting heroic characters never actually have to commit to antagonism which pops up in plenty of media, especially when it’s not well-supported by the story. It used to be surprising or exciting but now it’s painfully cliche, and serves to avoid real conflict by having the hero erase it

Why are we talking about Rise of Skywalker all of the sudden?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

ThingOne posted:

3 being a goon has nothing to do with it. I was rooting for Jolly King in this last round but I'm not upset that he lost because Magi did a great job with the character and brought his story to an end that left me satisfied. Everything about Shyster's comic was pointless, the monster didn't matter and nobody was in any actual danger. Then it goes and gives a good character a wet fart of an ending that doesn't actually bring any of her plot threads to a close.

3 played well with the sentiment that Operant was trying to combat this round, plus with a brilliant, character forward w/ backstory narrative that was brilliantly delivered, with a stub to possibly rescuing other fan fav in the future. It was super well done.

The competition's comic was also ver good, and in the other semi I literally flipped a coin because it was the SAME STORY but 3 was levels beyond IMO :perfect:

But, good luck with your future project, I will read 3

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
3's opponent had some major discomfort issues with the topic theme which is why they did the comic the way they did.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I'm disappointed Fei's not going forward. I really thought your comic was the best of the two, 3. I'm also of the mind, Operant be damned, that "died of old age 30 years in the future" is a terrible ending. You did an awesome job, though, in all of them! I've had to reread them all several times because it's such a fun character you've built.

I'm also disappointed the Jolly King isn't moving forward, too. I'll still be rooting for Tanri but I hope this final comic has more substance than the semifinal.

EDIT:

Operant posted:

3's opponent had some major discomfort issues with the topic theme which is why they did the comic the way they did.

Oh, that's unfortunate. They did a cool job with the Combining Robots Idea for the puppet and Jade Rabbit, though.

Malpais Legate fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 29, 2019

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Neopie posted:

Ya'll know you can be dissapointed that 3 didn't win without being asses about it, right?

That's not Royal

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Huh weird, the last chapters written in crayon.

Neopie posted:

this is the party line on the discord too but like, its more the naked shittiness of someone not quite understanding the core conceits of the material they're working with and pulling rank on something frankly pretty innocuous (the death of a fictional character) taking everyone else out of the experience and we have to pretend they're not acting like an infant because that ripcord, that relief valve needs to be there, but at the same time they shattered all sense of stakes that Abbadon clearly was intending to build by instituting the rule in the first place. Its lovely writing and it wasn't just 3 getting robbed, its anyone invested in what was supposed to be some interesting tangential worldbuilding, now poisoned by a clear seam of emotional illiteracy that shatters a well built sense of inertia and stakes like a bollard on a highway.

BUT ALSO MY BOY GOT ROBBED!!

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 30, 2019

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
I really thought 3 won by a mile too, finding out Shyster made it through was a complete shock. Not because of the ending or whatever, the Fei comic was like getting punched in the stomach. Can't believe I'm this attached to characters in fan comics, really says a lot about all the artists.

The whole tournament has been like this though, it's amazing how great it's been and how much it sucks every round to see some of them go. I can't think of a single story in the entire thing I didn't enjoy.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I understand Abaddon's point about why he picked Tanri's comic to move forward; I don't agree with him and I think that Fei's comic really took the round theme by the horns and solidly engaged it in a way that Tanri's didn't. It's fine that Abaddon didn't think that was as important as I did and didn't feel like Tanri's version was a sidestep; when I start my own fabulous comic and get to judge my own fanart tourney then I'll get my chance. :shrug: I did think both comics were very well executed and done and I can't really fault the decision on any other point. Also, Abaddon explicitly did not weigh the other media 3 created, which I think was a significant choice because the additional stuff has been really good and helps elevate Fei's version. I don't want to come down on Shyster for winning, they've done good work the whole time and when you come to the final 4 isn't basically going to be two really good entrants losing; there aren't any duds to cull.

3 posted:

It's been a wild ride, and I'm also about to do something incredibly stupid because I'm terrified of losing my edge without a hard deadline, so I'm just gonna go ahead and draw a counterfactual alt-history Round 6 comic anyway.
I am so excited to hear this because the biggest issue I had with you losing the round is that Fei's arc wouldn't get the conclusion I want to read really badly. Also if you have/start your own comic please let us know, I'd love to see more of your work.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Also I hope someone's compiling all the alternate universe stuff and other things everyone drew while they were goofing around between rounds, that's easily been the best part of watching this happen. It's all scattered across a million discord posts and really hard to find now.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Motherfucker posted:

Huh weird, the last chapters written in crayon.

this is the party line on the discord too but like, its more the naked shittiness of someone not quite understanding the core conceits of the material they're working with and pulling rank on something frankly pretty innocuous (the death of a fictional character) taking everyone else out of the experience and we have to pretend they're not acting like an infant because that ripcord, that relief valve needs to be there, but at the same time they shattered all sense of stakes that Abbadon clearly was intending to build by instituting the rule in the first place. Its lovely writing and it wasn't just 3 getting robbed, its anyone invested in what was supposed to be some interesting tangential worldbuilding, now poisoned by a clear seam of emotional illiteracy that shatters a well built sense of inertia and stakes like a bollard on a highway.

Oh gently caress off motherfucker, it's a comic, chill your rear end.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Neopie posted:

Oh gently caress off motherfucker, it's a comic, chill your rear end.

yep, still not above critique.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Motherfucker posted:

yep, still not above critique.

Yeah, critique isn't going 'they're an infant and an emotional illiterate' and, also, making GBS threads up the discord :v

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
i would like to reiterate that i want to see the thing 3 does next

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Neopie posted:

Yeah, critique isn't going 'they're an infant and an emotional illiterate' and, also, making GBS threads up the discord :v

I mean, yes it is.

Also I didn't poo poo up the discord, that was you guys. I posted four lines of ambiguous distaste and got fourteen pages of 'You're salty you're salty, lalalala, mods?? mods?? Now lets all pointedly go back to not discussing what this chat is ostensibly about' so I figured they were probably too close to it and couldn't really have a discussion without feelings being involved.

But I can, because I don't care and I'm of the opinion this person made the entire competition worse using emotional blackmail, at worst, or at best, was not intelligent and / or emotionally mature enough to understand and reasonably engage with the source material and either way by their direct and pathetic actions they made a pretty bad comic that hamstrings the tension.

I'm sure this persons freak-out at game-night isn't the entirety of their personality but I don't give a poo poo since that's all they are to me. I'd have the same feelings if some rear end in a top hat ruined my DnD game because they didn't want their bard to die.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Motherfucker posted:

the fact that you've thrown two separate tantrums in both the discord and this thread over something that I'm 100% fine with proves that there is a clear seam of emotional illiteracy but it isn't where you think it is, chief

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
It's Operants game, and hence his rules, but man I just don't see it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

3 posted:

the fact that you've thrown two separate tantrums in both the discord and this thread over something that I'm 100% fine with proves that there is a clear seam of emotional illiteracy but it isn't where you think it is, chief

cool, like I said you're close to it. I'm not and as a member of the audience and peanut gallery, this show got loving kneecapped in the last chapter.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

is there any way to view all these tournament comics that isn't a dang discord chatroom? not really a fan of discord.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The competition is irrelevant I just really really want to see where Fei’s story goes next

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Grand Prize Winner posted:

is there any way to view all these tournament comics that isn't a dang discord chatroom? not really a fan of discord.

Master list of comics here, provided by Karagna (Effie's artist)

M_Gargantua posted:

The competition is irrelevant I just really really want to see where Fei’s story goes next

You will :toot:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I don’t agree with but I can kinda understand the reaction to 3 losing. I think the 80/20 split of the poll is pretty much the most one sided of the recent comics? And this is the first of the rulings where I couldn’t go “I disagree with the ruling but understand the reasoning”. It’s a thing you have to deal with with fans and I’m sure it’s a pain in the rear end

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm really glad you entered this contest, 3, it's been fun to read your comics over the course of the tournament and I'm happy you've decided to continue the adventures of Li Feitian, space dumbass.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
All right, I didn't read any of the fan content but having caught up on the situation, I too am very mad in a normal way that the fanfic I liked didn't win

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

This is an unfortunate situation and while I respect liking other people's OCs and not wanting to hurt them, this is definitely the kind of situation that needs a frank and emotionally honest discussion between all the folks involved to ensure that this sort of thing doesn't happen when you're kicking it off. The entire tourney was a good and neat idea and it's a bummer that this conflict cropped up in the semi-finals. I'm glad that the competitors and the GM are talking it over and while it sucks it's just how poo poo goes sometimes.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

3 posted:

You will :toot:

+1 to the "if you decide to run another comic, I'll follow" sentiment, and personally, I'm really excited that you're going to have Fei's creator-canon arc coming out as an alt-history thing, that's really cool of you. Your style of storytelling is really good, and it's been a lot of fun following Fei through this.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Hostile V posted:

This is an unfortunate situation and while I respect liking other people's OCs and not wanting to hurt them, this is definitely the kind of situation that needs a frank and emotionally honest discussion between all the folks involved to ensure that this sort of thing doesn't happen when you're kicking it off. The entire tourney was a good and neat idea and it's a bummer that this conflict cropped up in the semi-finals. I'm glad that the competitors and the GM are talking it over and while it sucks it's just how poo poo goes sometimes.

"Wait you're telling me I might get punched in the face?? Thats illegal! What kind of art tournament is this?"

"What the gently caress is a martial art?"

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Motherfucker posted:

"Wait you're telling me I might get punched in the face?? Thats illegal! What kind of art tournament is this?"

"What the gently caress is a martial art?"
Yes, this is a conversation that should be had with participants in a frank and constructive manner.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

make mockery posted:

strike while the iron is hot but strike in the right place

start your own project you mentioned

this stunningly handsome person is correct

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im gonna use secret posting arts to register my displeasure with this turn of events

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

martial farts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
drat y'all enter a martial arts tournaments and aren't willing to cull the weak and slay them, hosed up. Alicio is over here slaughtering every loving being in the ring and would probably have killed a couple dozen bystanders had Salami Dave not specifically foreseen furious dumbass poo poo threatening civilians and put up a shield (but remember White Chain is a jerk for being upset with this because clearly they need to scroll down to interpret the lore to understand that this is good), but apparently everyone's like "oh I hate killing, let's all be pals".