Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

ThomasPaine posted:

It boils my piss that these dumb fucks can't look at their own loving actions while they take their loving 'unflinching' look

Am I out of touch?

No, it is Corbyn who is wrong.

409: The Visigothic king Alaric I lays siege to Rome a second time, bringing the inhabitants close to starvation. Emperor Honorius, safe in inaccessible Ravenna, refuses to negotiate for peace, despite repeated offers from Alaric, who then comes to terms with the Senate and sets up a rival emperor, Priscus Attalus, prefect (praefectus urbi) of the city. This is all Corbyn's fault.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's like I keep saying: the Labour Right has had 4 years to think and come up with a better direction and set of policies, so let's hear it!

They honestly seem to think that all they need to do is shout and scream until they're ushered back into leadership unopposed, in order to do...?

Back to the 2010 - 2015 strategy of bland, timid triangulation which proved such a success then, I guess!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Ague Proof posted:

Jolyon Maugham QC is a murderer. He beat a fox to death with a baseball bat. We will probably never know exactly what he was thinking. Obviously I did not know Jolyon Maugham. I never saw him in person and never spoke to him. But he represented something very special to me. In such a cut-throat, dirty, dark, often disgusting, business he was one of the good ones. When people talked poo poo about Remain and the bastards involved in it, you could always muffin out Jolyon Maugham as the exception to the rule. He was the one you could muffin to as a true professional who honored the cause he loved, who was passionate about it, who proved that you could dedicate your life to the law without being insane or scum or a monster. He was the ace in the hole. He was the one who wasn't in it for the pussy or because he was a failed lawyer in another profession because he wanted to get rich quick or because he wanted to be a movie star or because he saw FBPE as a means to an end. He was in it for the EU. He was dedicated to being the best professional lawyer he could be, and it showed in the courts.

Jolyon Maugham is a murderer. And I don't know how to accept that.

:qq:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

Jolyon Maugham QC is a murderer. He beat a fox to death with a baseball bat. We will probably never know exactly what he was thinking. Obviously I did not know Jolyon Maugham. I never saw him in person and never spoke to him. But he represented something very special to me. In such a cut-throat, dirty, dark, often disgusting, business he was one of the good ones. When people talked poo poo about Remain and the bastards involved in it, you could always muffin out Jolyon Maugham as the exception to the rule. He was the one you could muffin to as a true professional who honored the cause he loved, who was passionate about it, who proved that you could dedicate your life to the law without being insane or scum or a monster. He was the ace in the hole. He was the one who wasn't in it for the pussy or because he was a failed lawyer in another profession because he wanted to get rich quick or because he wanted to be a movie star or because he saw FBPE as a means to an end. He was in it for the EU. He was dedicated to being the best professional lawyer he could be, and it showed in the courts.

Jolyon Maugham is a murderer. And I don't know how to accept that.

Someone is back?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's like I keep saying: the Labour Right has had 4 years to think and come up with a better direction and set of policies, so let's hear it!

They honestly seem to think that all they need to do is shout and scream until they're ushered back into leadership unopposed, in order to do...?

Back to the 2010 - 2015 strategy of bland, timid triangulation which proved such a success then, I guess!

I think it's worth mentioning to them that, whilst we're self examining, we should as why the vote share shot up in 2017, what Corbyn did better than Brown and Milliband, and why following Smith Blair only ever lost support.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That's an edit of the PSP "Chris Benoit is a murderer" copypasta just so people know

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Coohoolin posted:

"Progressive patriotism"

Hmmmm... sound familiar?

quote:

Britain has a long history of patriotism rooted in working life, built on unity and pride in the common interests and shared life of everyone. This history is internationalist: as in 1862 when Lancashire’s mill workers supported Abraham Lincoln’s anti-slavery blockade of cotton from the American south. To win we must revive this progressive patriotism and solidarity in a form fit for modern Britain. While Boris Johnson criticises single mothers and likens Muslim women to bank robbers, we must stand for pride in our communities, dignity in our work and a common purpose that unites communities across the country.

I could get behind a "patriotism" that was reflective of diversity, solidarity, and internationalism. It could be a strong tent pole in a campaign. My only concern would be that you have to waste momentum explaining what we mean by "patriotism", otherwise we'd just be confusing people

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought Brits knew what patriotism was, and that it's the last refuge of the scoundrel.

And also suspiciously American.

And also requires a patris.

[Gordon Brown lighting a solitary firework to celebrate the 300th anniversary of the Union as everyone else watches X Factor or something]

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I think this discussion about strategies and Left Vs. Center has gone full circle a few times. I want to inject a few new questions into it if I may.

How do you think the Tories are going to change the political landscape over the next 5 or possibly 10 years? There's some pretty direct things they'll do like gerrymandering but to give an example of what I mean:

If the tories pull off a withdrawal of some kind and then implement an Australian points based immigration system, do we go into the following election campaigning on reversing the immigration system and changing our terms with the EU? I know questions like this tend to come down to "how did the policy go? Was it catastrophic/unpopular enough to present an opening?" which is why I've put the question as I have. How do you think the Tories are going to change the political landscape over the next 5/10 years?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
'Progressive Patriotism! Controls on Immigration, but written on a Starbucks frothy coffee cup!' :byodood:

Also a pitch worryingly devoid of any real substance.

Pesmerga fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 30, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I could get behind a "patriotism" that was reflective of diversity, solidarity, and internationalism. It could be a strong tent pole in a campaign. My only concern would be that you have to waste momentum explaining what we mean by "patriotism", otherwise we'd just be confusing people

Yeah the actual substance of it seems fine I just don't get why you'd call it patriotism because there's large sections of the country and the state who did and do exactly the opposite of that.

Also yeah it's mostly just guff, guff that identifies some of the right problems re: credibility, sure, but still guff.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah the actual substance of it seems fine I just don't get why you'd call it patriotism because there's large sections of the country and the state who did and do exactly the opposite of that.

What substance?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
She's saying that there's still a need to democratise the party which is better than Keir Starmer or Emily Thornberry managed

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Progressive patriotism sounds a lot like an Australian points based immigration system but we say sorry in the rejection letters imo.

Patriotism is racism and if you need to be racist to win you're fighting the wrong battle.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pesmerga posted:

What substance?

As in the clarification about what "progressive patriotism" means, if she'd just wrote that without calling it that I'd have less concern.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I feel like the substance is "keep most/all of the current manifesto" which is pretty substantial already. Just dressing it differently

If the only other left option is Lavery then RLB is probably my choice - while I'm sure Lavery would go on the attack quite well I think it's a problem that Labour has never had a female leader besides Harman.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

StarkingBarfish posted:

Patriotism is racism and if you need to be racist to win you're fighting the wrong battle.
But civet nationalism.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

I thought Brits knew what patriotism was, and that it's the last refuge of the scoundrel.

Pesmerga posted:

'Progressive Patriotism! Controls on Immigration, but written on a Starbucks frothy coffee cup!' :byodood:

Also a pitch worryingly devoid of any real substance.

With no inside knowledge of where RLB is going with this, my hope is that it's a rebranding of what we're already offering. We're supposed to be a popular movement, so why not steal and repurpose populist language?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because the people using that language know what they mean and you're not gonna trick them by trying to make it mean something else.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

With no inside knowledge of where RLB is going with this, my hope is that it's a rebranding of what we're already offering. We're supposed to be a popular movement, so why not steal and repurpose populist language?

Because it doesn't work. That's what Labour tried to do with immigration, and it didn't stop the right going further right on immigration, if anything, it just legitimised what they were saying, rather than challenging the narrative. And if it's a rebranding of what we're already offering, what exactly is it that we are offering?

Maugrim posted:

I feel like the substance is "keep most/all of the current manifesto" which is pretty substantial already. Just dressing it differently

If the only other left option is Lavery then RLB is probably my choice - while I'm sure Lavery would go on the attack quite well I think it's a problem that Labour has never had a female leader besides Harman.

As for Lavery, I'm not thrilled with either, but if it was a vote to keep him out, rather than actually voting for something I believe in...

OwlFancier posted:

As in the clarification about what "progressive patriotism" means, if she'd just wrote that without calling it that I'd have less concern.

I think there needs to be a little more to it than 'some Lancashire mill owners supported anti-slavery once'.

"Britain has a long history of patriotism rooted in working life, built on unity and pride in the common interests and shared life of everyone.' - really?

MikeCrotch posted:

She's saying that there's still a need to democratise the party which is better than Keir Starmer or Emily Thornberry managed

She starts by saying 'no more New-Labour triangulation', and then tries to triangulate between all the different views in the Labour Party. The democratisation of the party bit is vague, and Corbyn also used the same rhetoric, while using Party Conference in the same way as his predecessors. It ended up being party democracy as legitimising tool, rather than a dedicated effort to do so.

Also, lol.

Tony Blair in the Guardian in 2001 posted:

We must set out our vision for a 'new patriotism'

Britishness is not de fined by clinging to the status quo. I define it rather by reference to our common purpose and sense of mutual belonging, born of shared values."

Those values, the prime minister said, were freedom, tolerance, and an ethic of citizenship, public service, equity and equality, and a sense of fair play. "We admire individuality, but we are not exclusively individualists. Emphatically we believe that there is such a thing as society with all the rights and responsibilities that go with membership of a community of people. These are the values that make me proud to be British. And I believe a forward-looking modern patriotism can be built on them.

"A true modern patriotism for Britain is to promote the acceptance abroad of the values of Britain today and crucially to make the patriotic case for international engagement and against isolation. We must work outwards from our domestic doctrine of community to a doctrine of international community, based on enlightened self-interest."

RLB in the Guardian posted:

Britain has a long history of patriotism rooted in working life, built on unity and pride in the common interests and shared life of everyone. This history is internationalist: as in 1862 when Lancashire’s mill workers supported Abraham Lincoln’s anti-slavery blockade of cotton from the American south. To win we must revive this progressive patriotism and solidarity in a form fit for modern Britain. While Boris Johnson criticises single mothers and likens Muslim women to bank robbers, we must stand for pride in our communities, dignity in our work and a common purpose that unites communities across the country.

Pesmerga fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Dec 30, 2019

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

It boils my piss that these dumb fucks can't look at their own loving actions while they take their loving 'unflinching' look

Everyone I know from the left is quiet and deflated after the election.
The centrists are enthused and energised.
Because centrists saw the result as a "victory".

Which is all you need to know about them.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Well, she's clear enough in the article: by progressive patriotism she means reviving the spirit of ordinary people coming together and improving the country based on their shared interests, without being horrible to other groups of people. It's a positive patriotism as opposed to the exclusionary nationalism of the Tories.

Also, it's striking how Guardian readers have simply transferred their hatred of Corbyn to RLB. She hasn't even become leader yet and they're already shrieking that she's a weak, useless, unelectable woman.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Welp.

It wasn't my fault, I can count on an exemplary reference and essentially time and a half for the past month, and I don't have to go in again but gently caress this hurts.

3 times in 18 months.

And I'm sick :smith:

Conversely, i got a tax rebate :unsmith:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ sorry bud, I hope you find something

OwlFancier posted:

yeah sounds more like trying to tie "pride in Britain" to an idea of solidarity and internationalism and progressiveness, getting ahead of the game before the media defines the new leadership as haters

after the hack job done on Corbyn we need to be assertive about countering this stuff and pushing a message, so stuff like "patriotism" which shouldn't be an issue still has to be handled one way or another. It's better to make it a positive position than Controls On Immigrationing yourself into a reactionary take in the hopes the bullies will be nicer to you

hell maybe it's the solitary fig leaf for the remaining blairites in the party. cool britannia is back baby

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 30, 2019

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pesmerga posted:

I think there needs to be a little more to it than 'some Lancashire mill owners supported anti-slavery once'.

"Britain has a long history of patriotism rooted in working life, built on unity and pride in the common interests and shared life of everyone.' - really?

It's not total bunk but as written it's more One Nation Tory than the actual radical and egalitarian movements they should be making reference to. An international patriotism runs into the same problems as civic nationalism - it's an appeal to two concepts which don't really gel.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

namesake posted:

It's not total bunk but as written it's more One Nation Tory than the actual radical and egalitarian movements they should be making reference to. An international patriotism runs into the same problems as civic nationalism - it's an appeal to two concepts which don't really gel.

Blair already tried it in 2001 with limited success. And again, if that's what she's doing, it's 'no more triangulation', while triangulating as hard as possible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Welp.

It wasn't my fault, I can count on an exemplary reference and essentially time and a half for the past month, and I don't have to go in again but gently caress this hurts.

3 times in 18 months.

And I'm sick :smith:

Conversely, i got a tax rebate :unsmith:

Employment sucks poo poo and looking for it sucks more. I hope you find somewhere decent eventually.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pesmerga posted:

Blair already tried it in 2001 with limited success. And again, if that's what she's doing, it's 'no more triangulation', while triangulating as hard as possible.

The actual justifications between the two are incredibly different though, Blair is saying 'Export British Values', RLB is specifically referencing 'Remember the time people got together to fight slavery?'. It's a bad pitch I agree but they aren't the same thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What she's hinting at could as easily be described as localism so I don't get why you'd call it patriotism.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

DickEmery posted:

Everyone I know from the left is quiet and deflated after the election.
The centrists are enthused and energised.
Because centrists saw the result as a "victory".

Which is all you need to know about them.

To be fair though, if the centrists had the party leadership and lost the election, we'd see the result as a "victory" because it would be a vindication that the party wasn't left-leaning enough.

The difference is we'd be right because the leftist policies have popular support, which the centrists seem to have no answer for (seriously I've never seen a single one of them ever address that, has anyone here?)

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Pesmerga posted:

What would an acceptable left position on patriotism look like from your perspective? I feel like "you dumb assholes with your flags are all racist", however you try to present it, is going to have all the issues that made the remain campaign so amazingly toxic.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

What she's hinting at could as easily be described as localism so I don't get why you'd call it patriotism.

Yeah it's an attempt to change the definition to a more inclusive tone. It's not impossible, in the same way that the actions of an individual scientist or sports team or whatever is biggened up to be reflective of a whole nation, it's just going against the grain because typically the radicals were fighting or utterly unsupported by the authorities and dominant cultures of the day which makes it hard to really see it as part of the whole and the superstructure has no interest in making it appear as if they were either.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Why is RLB writing in the guardian? Don’t you guys have alternative socialist journals/websites like Jacobin and CommonDreams?

It seems to me that the American left is more autonomous than the
British left, which is weird when here in America, child labor laws are seen as a pinko conspiracy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/425043/

Look at this advertisement for a left nationalism.

PawParole fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 30, 2019

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Wolfsbane posted:

What would an acceptable left position on patriotism look like from your perspective? I feel like "you dumb assholes with your flags are all racist", however you try to present it, is going to have all the issues that made the remain campaign so amazingly toxic.

It doesn't work. It looks very obviously like trying to chase the voters on the right, and will be seen through as such. You're either progressive, or you're patriotic, this whole idea that nationalism can be wrapped up in a red flag and then suddenly its ok will not work for the left. The right will still see the red flag, and the nationalism will turn off a lot of the voters who would otherwise be supportive. The left should be challenging these narratives, not trying to co-opt them.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Progressive patriotism means billionaires saluting to the flag as they pay their progressive taxes. :patriot:

capital has no patria, so capitalism is inherently unpatriotic

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

PawParole posted:

Why is RLB writing in the guardian? Don’t you guys have alternative socialist journals/websites like Jacobin and CommonDreams?

Maybe she wants it to be read by more than one person

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

StarkingBarfish posted:

Patriotism is racism

It really, really isn't, and if you believe that then you must also believe that anyone who likes the country they live in is a racist.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing is that a political party in a representative democracy is, at some level, a nationalist entity. It can only gain power with the consent of those who a nation deems to be its citizens, and both it and its electorate have a vested interest in maintaining their sovereignty in order to continue to have a say in how their nation is run. This was one of the EU's big problems - it didn't present a convincing or obvious case for how it could be trusted to aid the British electorate's interests. As such, any political party needs to present a pitch on its willingness to prioritise the electorate's interests and the system that gives them power. If you're presenting an internationalist message, you'd better be damned sure you can package it in a way that would appeal to the people who actually get to vote for you, and that's tricky for Britain because we're a wealthy, privileged country who takes a lot more from the rest of the world than we give.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Guavanaut posted:

And also suspiciously American.

And also requires a patris.

[Gordon Brown lighting a solitary firework to celebrate the 300th anniversary of the Union as everyone else watches X Factor or something]

Patria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

PawParole posted:

it's exactly the kind of place that needs it tbh

I got that article as a notification on my phone, just the headline so I didn't know who wrote it, and seeing "The Guardian: This is How We Can Take the Labour Party Into Power Again" I just assumed it was an editorial about getting Blair back in now that pesky Corbyn's out of the way