Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My kid's about 4 and a half. 3 and early 4 have been the most difficult part so far and I feel like things are finally starting to get easier. They go through phases constantly, though, and each one is usually the process of some developmental breakthrough unfolding.

My wife and I follow an "intuitive eating" approach. If she doesn't want to eat dinner, we remind her that she'll get hungry later and won't have food again until breakfast. That way there's no fighting around food. The goal for us is not to make sure she always eats, but to make sure she doesn't develop some pathology around food when she's older by keeping mealtime low-stress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

rt4 posted:

If she doesn't want to eat dinner, we remind her that she'll get hungry later and won't have food again until breakfast.

My kids eat snacks before bed. I dunno if that's a good thing, but I always did as a kid. I feel like I'm undercutting dinner a bit, but I force them to eat healthy-ish snacks (usually apples or blueberries lately) so whatever I guess?

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

SpaceCadetBob posted:

So my three year old son is suddenly having some real attitude issues. They mainly occur when we need to get ready for school or sit down for dinner. Today the school also called to say he is being antisocial with wanting to just play by himself.

I understand the need for social play at that age, but how frequently does a kid just wanna dive into his imagination on his own before the school calls home?

Not being pedantic, I'm in infant mode and I guess just not looking forward to having these kinds of awkward calls/conversations down the road.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Three-to-four is the WORST for drama and attitude. I survived my now (wonderful) 5 year old by refusing to engage in a fight as often as I could.

Not hungry? Fine, this food goes in the fridge you can have it later when you are hungry.

Don't want help to get dressed? Fine, do it yourself, I'm going out the door in five minutes, here's the set timer. I'm going to do something else.

Don't want to clean up? No worries, I'll do it and put the toys in the garage since you don't care about them anymore.

It got SO much better at around 4.5, I just had to maintain sanity until then. My motto was just - don't engage unless absolutely necessary. Pick your battles, because if you try to fight every single one you'll be exhausted and crazy.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Counterpoint. It has absolutely gotten worse for us at 5.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I preferred to play by myself at 3. Also every other age. Please leave me alone.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Hey just wondering when and how people started getting their kids using utensils?

Our girl just turned one and loves her food. We have her eating off her tray table by grabbing it or spooning her food depending on what’s appropriate. Afterwards we give her the spoon and she plays with it a bit but she seems to sometimes understand what to do?

But like I can only picture giving her control of it being a huge disaster :kingsley: of mess and food everywhere. I get that that’s just a thing (same with finger food) but how do you even start it? Soups? Small spoon?

To make matters worse my wife’s family has a Malaysian / Chinese background so we will need to teach her how to use chopsticks. My in laws are hopeless and don’t even remember when they taught my wife and her siblings.

I know it’s probably too early but just don’t want to wake up and realise I’ve got the kid that doesn’t know anything one day :/

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
My son is almost 16 months and refuses to eat without utensils. He doesn't really succeed at all but it's not much messier than his usual grabbing and flailing with hands. Today he ate some scrambled eggs at breakfast and ravioli at dinner after successfully stabbing them onto his fork.

eta: Could you use training chopsticks? We picked up a pair for my 5 year old from Daiso for funsies and she figured it out pretty quickly. She's not great at it by any means but she can successfully feed herself a few bites before she gets mad that she's not an expert at them and goes back to a fork.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

teacup posted:

Our girl just turned one and loves her food. We have her eating off her tray table by grabbing it or spooning her food depending on what’s appropriate. Afterwards we give her the spoon and she plays with it a bit but she seems to sometimes understand what to do?
Our kid is about the same age. This is what has been working for us:

1) We got a set of bowls with suction cups on the bottom that make a nice seal with her table. She can't use the path of least resistance and bring it to her face.

2) She likes to hold the spoon a lot, so we load it up with food and hand it to her. She can sort of awkwardly backhand it into her mouth. We will rotate between two spoons for this: fill one, hand it over, fill another while she's working on the first, swap, repeat.

3) When she gets insistent that she hold the spoon the whole time, we just let her have it with a bowl of paste-consistency oatmeal. She stabs at it with the spoon and mashes it around in the bowl and eventually some gets picked up. It's not the cleanest technique but it's less messy than using her hands.

Good luck on the chopsticks though, I can barely manage those myself.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Our guy is 11mo, since we started giving him solid food at 6mo we have been letting him have a spoon of his own while we spoon the food into his mouth. He doesn’t get to drive the real spoon, but he bites his and throws it around without making a mess, and I guess it’s good practice. Also if he’s being a dick about eating, I can sneak food in around his spoon when he’s chewing on it. He also eats a lot of pouches, so he can chew a spoon in between slugs of pouch.

We got some silicone pouch tips for Christmas and by George they are excellent. He can’t make any more pouch fountains if we let our guard down. In fact, he solo consumed an entire pouch this morning. No mess. Amazing.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Yeah, learning to use utensils is basically a gradual monkey-see-monkey-do process. It's been faster and/or easier with kids #2 - #4 because they want to ape their older siblings.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Big Taint posted:

Our guy is 11mo, since we started giving him solid food at 6mo we have been letting him have a spoon of his own while we spoon the food into his mouth. He doesn’t get to drive the real spoon, but he bites his and throws it around without making a mess, and I guess it’s good practice. Also if he’s being a dick about eating, I can sneak food in around his spoon when he’s chewing on it. He also eats a lot of pouches, so he can chew a spoon in between slugs of pouch.

We got some silicone pouch tips for Christmas and by George they are excellent. He can’t make any more pouch fountains if we let our guard down. In fact, he solo consumed an entire pouch this morning. No mess. Amazing.

That's the problem we've been having with pouches. She squeezes it, but half the time it's not in her mouth when she does. I'll have to get some of those.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

What are some good resources/advice for sleep training a ~14 month old? My wife and I have boxed ourselves into a corner by not establishing good sleeping habits with my kid and things are kind of coming to a head right now.

We tried crib sleeping when the kid first came home but around 3 or 4 months my wife decided that she wanted to do cosleeping, in part to make it easier to feed at night. So we've been doing that for most of the year with varying success - night sleeping got somewhat better but the he has a hard time napping at daycare. However, recently the kid has just been refusing to sleep through the night - he'll wake up every 90 minutes out so. This has made life much more stressful for everybody.

We've tried sleep training before, around 6 months but my wife found it too hard to deal with letting the baby cry for 5-10 minutes at a time so it didn't last. I feel like now we've reinforced a bunch of bad habits that are gonna be hard to deal with - he can't really soothe himself if he wakes up, he has a hard time sleeping without someone next to him, refuses to sleep in a crib at all, etc. Friends have told me that until he weans that there's not much we can do but I don't think another 2-3 months of this status quo is sustainable.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

hellotoothpaste posted:

I understand the need for social play at that age, but how frequently does a kid just wanna dive into his imagination on his own before the school calls home?

Not being pedantic, I'm in infant mode and I guess just not looking forward to having these kinds of awkward calls/conversations down the road.

Yeah, at three I think they are being a bit extreme unless he never ever wants to play with others. Our oldest who's now 4 preferred to play alone most of the time until he turned 4. Now he likes social stuff a lot, but it took time. There was no pushing, it just happened naturally. His interests didn't match those of other kids I think and he's super gentle so kids stealing stuff and such made him avoid social games

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

What are some good resources/advice for sleep training a ~14 month old? My wife and I have boxed ourselves into a corner by not establishing good sleeping habits with my kid and things are kind of coming to a head right now.

We tried crib sleeping when the kid first came home but around 3 or 4 months my wife decided that she wanted to do cosleeping, in part to make it easier to feed at night. So we've been doing that for most of the year with varying success - night sleeping got somewhat better but the he has a hard time napping at daycare. However, recently the kid has just been refusing to sleep through the night - he'll wake up every 90 minutes out so. This has made life much more stressful for everybody.

We've tried sleep training before, around 6 months but my wife found it too hard to deal with letting the baby cry for 5-10 minutes at a time so it didn't last. I feel like now we've reinforced a bunch of bad habits that are gonna be hard to deal with - he can't really soothe himself if he wakes up, he has a hard time sleeping without someone next to him, refuses to sleep in a crib at all, etc. Friends have told me that until he weans that there's not much we can do but I don't think another 2-3 months of this status quo is sustainable.

I'm a co-sleeping fan, so take it with a grain of salt: my kids did the crazy wake-up thing at this age, and it didn't matter where they slept. It passes pretty fast, though it feels like an eternity when it's happening. Everything you're describing sounds super familiar to me.

You have NOT ruined your kids or missed the boat or anything like that. My older one started sleeping in her own in her own bed at 3, and my little one will probably be about the same. They both figured out how to nap at daycare just fine after maybe a few weeks of adjustment.

What you're probably going through is either teething or an extinction burst of frequent night feedings or something like that. Either way, remember the kid is waking up for an actual reason, and that a parent soothing him is a good and reasonable thing even if you're really goddamn tired, damnit, and that reason *isn't* just to try and kill you.

So I guess my tl;dr is if your wife doesn't want to stop co-sleeping, please don't pressure her to stop. What's happening is normal and you haven't permanently ruined your child. If you need sleep, it's okay to sometimes sleep (or have them sleep) somewhere else.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yikes, there's a lot here. I'm sure you'll see lots of differing opinions, and there's no right answer except the one that works for you. So mine will be the hippy dippy gentle opinion, because I also couldn't deal with sleep training.

I read the No Cry Sleep Solution, and it pretty much amounted to "slowly step down your soothing methods and stay consistent." So there, saved you 10 bux or whatever it is.

For the refusing to sleep in a crib, have you considered side-carring the crib to your bed? That way, you can slowly increase the distance between mom and baby until he's mostly in the crib, then work on getting him ok with the crib rail up but still next to your bed, then moving the crib a few inches away, etc...

Since it sounds like he's slept longer stretches in the past, the 90 minute wakeups could be a sign of teething discomfort, a developmental thing, or illness, and I wouldn't freak out that you broke your kid's ability to sleep from this rough patch.

As for the weaning, extremely been there, and yeah that's what ultimately led to sleeping through the night. My son would sleep a 3-4 hour block, then wake every 2-3 hours until I night weaned him over two weeks at 12 months. He was waking up genuinely hungry, in the same way you'd be hungry if someone woke you up at 3am and fed you a sandwich every night. After a while, you'd wake up hungry for that sandwich on your own. I also thought I broke him, but once we gently weaned, it turned out he could sleep longer bits just fine. I'm not promising that your kid can too, just don't dispair. I can post more about the night weaning strategy we used if you guys think you might go in that direction.

Hang in there.

Edit: /\/\/\ This too. Bed sharing and night feeds aren't a problem unless it's no longer working for you/your wife.

2DEG fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 29, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

cailleask posted:

What you're probably going through is either teething or an extinction burst of frequent night feedings or something like that. Either way, remember the kid is waking up for an actual reason, and that a parent soothing him is a good and reasonable thing even if you're really goddamn tired, damnit, and that reason *isn't* just to try and kill you.

So I guess my tl;dr is if your wife doesn't want to stop co-sleeping, please don't pressure her to stop. What's happening is normal and you haven't permanently ruined your child. If you need sleep, it's okay to sometimes sleep (or have them sleep) somewhere else.

I already get up about half the nights in any given week to sleep with him so my wife can get some uninterrupted hours. We're not giving up on co-sleeping but it's been pretty rough the past few weeks so we're just trying to find a better equilibrium for everybody. My wife is pretty worn out and has been talking to friends who also co-sleep for advice, so I figure I'd ask around as well so that we can combine resources and hopefully find a strategy that works.

2DEG posted:

For the refusing to sleep in a crib, have you considered side-carring the crib to your bed? That way, you can slowly increase the distance between mom and baby until he's mostly in the crib, then work on getting him ok with the crib rail up but still next to your bed, then moving the crib a few inches away, etc...

Since it sounds like he's slept longer stretches in the past, the 90 minute wakeups could be a sign of teething discomfort, a developmental thing, or illness, and I wouldn't freak out that you broke your kid's ability to sleep from this rough patch.

As for the weaning, extremely been there, and yeah that's what ultimately led to sleeping through the night. My son would sleep a 3-4 hour block, then wake every 2-3 hours until I night weaned him over two weeks at 12 months. He was waking up genuinely hungry, in the same way you'd be hungry if someone woke you up at 3am and fed you a sandwich every night. After a while, you'd wake up hungry for that sandwich on your own. I also thought I broke him, but once we gently weaned, it turned out he could sleep longer bits just fine. I'm not promising that your kid can too, just don't dispair. I can post more about the night weaning strategy we used if you guys think you might go in that direction.

We did try the side sleeper crib when he was around 6 months, but it didn't really stick for various reasons. I do think this particular bout of sleep regression isn't like some permanent developmental thing - there's been some disruption to his routine due to the holidays and also our attempt to start weaning him - so hopefully as things return to normal he can kind of get back on track. It just feels interminable in the moment.

Any advice on the night weaning would be greatly appreciated.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

We had to wean our eldest at 12 mo due to teeth/biting but she actually took to it super easy. I slept with her in a different room for a few nights and gave her formula instead of breast milk whenever she woke up - they seem to require way less nightly feeds from formula. I guess it's just a bigger hit of calories at once or something. Anyway I had a rough couple nights but the mrs had the best sleep she'd had since the birth and afterwards the daughter took a bottle at bedtime and sometimes another one during the night and we mostly all slept pretty good. If you go this route try to be vigilant with a toothbrush or some water after each bottle, a milky mouth is not great for baby teeth and she's got a few incisors now that aren't looking great.

It might be worth a try, i built it up so much in my head like it was going to be the hardest thing ever but luckily it just went well. I'll be attempting the same for our youngest soon and I'm in no way expecting the same results.

Edit: one more thing, for the ultimate in as-little-effort-as-possible keep a pre-filled bottle of water at the right temperature in a warmer or thermos next to the bed, you can roll over and dump in the formula and feed the poor screaming wretch without even needing to bend at the waist

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 29, 2019

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
For what it’s worth, we sleep trained at 4 months and our girl still had some kind of nightmare regression at around 14 months.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Unfortunately there isn't any medical sub-forum in GBS...
My whole family (me, wife, toddler, baby) are currently plagued by scabies. It started in one of the kids, the whole family then caught it. Supposedly medication should be effective if everybody gets treated at the same time. Unfortunately we have already been through 4 1-week cycles of treatment, and although things have improved, we haven't gotten completely rid of it. We are either suffering the ping-pong effect or not actually getting rid of them, we are not sure.

We have been to quite some dermatologists/pediatricians already. Advice is usually quite standard, and some of them claim that resistance to the medicine (permethrin in particular) does not exist, and that we are surely applying it wrong. What I see is that at least one of the creams (permethrin) has repeatedly failed. We are applying the full gamut of measures: washing clothes at 60 degrees Celsius, packing in bags whatever can't be washed for 3 days at least, etc.

Has anybody been through this kind of situation already? Is there an appropriate thread for this? I am at the end of my wits. Each time we think we are clean, new spots appear in one or two of us.

AndreTheGiantBoned fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 30, 2019

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
If your wife isn't okay with 5-10 minutes of tears, sleep training isn't going to really be an option right now, which is totally okay. As mentioned upthread, we sleep trained using Ferber. The first few days are going to involve tears and it's going to likely be more than 5-10 min. If you aren't going to be consistent it can be really confusing for the kiddo. Both parents (or whoever is involved in bedtime) need to be on board and in total agreement with sleep training if that is what you want to do.

I'm wondering if baby is really overtired from lack of sleep during the day making nights rough? Not sure what a good suggestion is though since we did some sleep training for naps as well.

As for my grain of salt, our baby never coslept, I slept on a twin bed in the nursery with baby in her crib until we sleep trained and I moved back to my bed. We also follow a loose schedule during the day and she naps in her crib at home and pack n play at daycare without too much hassle.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

We went through scabies in our house. I got them the worst because my skin is delicious, I suppose. The pharmaceutical grade of permethrin is what worked for us. The over-the-counter kind wasn't strong enough to kill the scabies. This sucked because prescription permethrin is ~$75 a tube on our insurance, and we needed 6 tubes to do the proper two coats a week apart for all of us.

We also did the washing clothes on high, steaming carpets and fabric furniture, avoiding things we couldn't clean for ~4 days, etc.

If it really is scabies, prescription permethrin should work because they don't have a resistance from everything I researched when we were going through that hell. And they aren't as pervasive as bed bugs, so getting them out of your house isn't as involved.

I feel your pain, though, and hope you can figure out how to get them to go away. The itching at night was madness for me.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

teacup posted:

Hey just wondering when and how people started getting their kids using utensils?

But like I can only picture giving her control of it being a huge disaster :kingsley: of mess and food everywhere. I get that that’s just a thing (same with finger food) but how do you even start it? Soups? Small spoon?

To make matters worse my wife’s family has a Malaysian / Chinese background so we will need to teach her how to use chopsticks. My in laws are hopeless and don’t even remember when they taught my wife and her siblings.

I know it’s probably too early but just don’t want to wake up and realise I’ve got the kid that doesn’t know anything one day :/

Start with handing them loaded forks/spoons and things that are easy to stab/scoop. We introduced utensils around a year but he preferred to eat with his hands until like 2.5 and we didn’t force the issue. Overnight he started expertly eating all his meals with utensils. His younger brother (14mo) does well with loaded forks but can’t handle a full plate of food in front of him without throwing it all so he doesn’t get to practice stabbing/scooping yet.

Second the suggestion for trainer chopsticks - we have these and they work well (but he didn’t start using them until 3)
Miraclekoo Training Chopsticks for Children,4 Pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P9FN814/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XVvcEbVTFF6JV

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Chadzok posted:

If you go this route try to be vigilant with a toothbrush or some water after each bottle, a milky mouth is not great for baby teeth and she's got a few incisors now that aren't looking great.

Here’s a stupid question. I breastfeed until my baby falls asleep, then I put her down in her crib. I know I should be brushing after, but... how? Are you supposed to feed and brush before they fall asleep, then hopefully soothe them to sleep after?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

So my kid is now thrashing and hitting and kicking each diaper change with or without rash, and it’s super fun to continue to be ignored when I tell him not to do something. He’s also doing the thrashing at nights after the bath which doubles the time it takes to get him dressed for bed. We have made a point of only doing time out when he does something he’s not supposed to and/or ignores us if it’s carrying a possibility or risk of hurting himself, otherwise we are trying to teach him stuff and I really hope the willfulness is a phase.

Also how is everyone dealing with the MINE MINE MINE phase? This is terrible and I know it’s normal at this age but holy gently caress.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Koivunen posted:

Here’s a stupid question. I breastfeed until my baby falls asleep, then I put her down in her crib. I know I should be brushing after, but... how? Are you supposed to feed and brush before they fall asleep, then hopefully soothe them to sleep after?
It's much less of a problem with breastfeeding. The advice our pediatrican gave was to brush twice a day rather than after every meal during breastfeeding. I don't think anyone is advocating waking a sleeping baby up to brush their teeth unless there are problems already.

The problem with bottles is a baby can fall asleep with a bottle dripping into their mouth, swallowing reflexively but having some milk in their mouth the whole time. Not a mom but my understanding is that after a meal babies have to work at getting milk out, so if they fall asleep they don't get more mouthfuls of milk.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

life is killing me posted:

So my kid is now thrashing and hitting and kicking each diaper change with or without rash, and it’s super fun to continue to be ignored when I tell him not to do something. He’s also doing the thrashing at nights after the bath which doubles the time it takes to get him dressed for bed. We have made a point of only doing time out when he does something he’s not supposed to and/or ignores us if it’s carrying a possibility or risk of hurting himself, otherwise we are trying to teach him stuff and I really hope the willfulness is a phase.

Also how is everyone dealing with the MINE MINE MINE phase? This is terrible and I know it’s normal at this age but holy gently caress.

one of mine does not like laying down to change diaper or clothes, and thrashes like yours. depending on the grossness of the diaper we change him standing up. sometimes we have to put him down, and we tell him that he needs to lie down, and about half the time he complies, and half the time he doesn't.

as far as the "mine" phase: it's going to happen, but see if he's communicating something else if it's constant. maybe he needs a space of his own, or maybe he wants to flex his independence, and you can find some way to show him to be more independent (like picking his own clothes). is there a certain place, or time it happens, or an object he's especially focused on?
i really think kids are usually frustrated about failed communication when their behavior gets exhausting for parents.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Unfortunately there isn't any medical sub-forum in GBS...
My whole family (me, wife, toddler, baby) are currently plagued by scabies. It started in one of the kids, the whole family then caught it. Supposedly medication should be effective if everybody gets treated at the same time. Unfortunately we have already been through 4 1-week cycles of treatment, and although things have improved, we haven't gotten completely rid of it. We are either suffering the ping-pong effect or not actually getting rid of them, we are not sure.

We have been to quite some dermatologists/pediatricians already. Advice is usually quite standard, and some of them claim that resistance to the medicine (permethrin in particular) does not exist, and that we are surely applying it wrong. What I see is that at least one of the creams (permethrin) has repeatedly failed. We are applying the full gamut of measures: washing clothes at 60 degrees Celsius, packing in bags whatever can't be washed for 3 days at least, etc.

Has anybody been through this kind of situation already? Is there an appropriate thread for this? I am at the end of my wits. Each time we think we are clean, new spots appear in one or two of us.

From what I've heard and seen, general human medicine has a poo poo understanding of parasitology, it's like this huge gaping hole in the collective knowledge bank that apparently requires specialist level attention. Anyway, like most insecticides of course resistance bloody exists, especially if it's an over the counter medicine that's been out for ages and has had compounding years of resistance building. Given you've said topical treatment has failed, you could ask for oral ivermectin. I can't even imagine the hell of having scabies throughout the whole family, good luck. The Goon Doctor subforum (under YLLS) may have other ideas too.

teacup posted:

Our son is 13 months and until about 2 weeks ago he was happy to be spoon fed and only really played around with the spoon when we gave it to him. Then one day the switch flipped and he HAD TO DO IT HIMSELF and started trying to scoop and eat with the spoon, and screamed at us if we tried to take it off him. Now he holds the spoon and we just hold the end to help angle it so he gets enough food on it and it goes into his mouth instead of down his face.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Thanks for your support! I will ask the goon docs about scabies.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Re: night weaning. This is going to sound super obvious, but for some reason seeing it spelled out helped me enormously. Decide how long your taper is going to be, make a plan, go slow, and be consistent and vigilant. It's important to wean gradually to avoid engorgement issues and so baby can redistribute calorie intake from night to day.

For the first couple of nights, just time how long it takes kiddo to fall asleep on the boob. Do a test unlatch at 10 or 15 min and see if they resist and try to get back on. I'll admit I used to fall asleep sometimes with baby latched, so keeping myself awake through every feed was a struggle some nights. This may be even harder if you do side lying nursing. Anyway, that's your starting point. Decide which feeds you want to drop. I'd recommend dropping the earliest first. There is very little sleep pressure in the early morning, so you'll have a far harder time resettling without nursing. Save that battle for last. You can do multiple feeds at once, or stagger them. Personally, staggering feeds was too much for my sleep deprived brain to deal with, so I just worked on all but the 4-5 am (and 6 am) feeds at once.

Now you start cutting that time back. You can do 1 minute/day, or do 2 min and do that for 2 nights, or however you want. Once you get to 5-10 minutes, you might start encountering some resistance when you unlatch. The one useful trick I got from the No Cry book was when you unlatch, press baby's chin up to close his mouth and hold it gently closed. It seemed to help settle him during this light resistance phase. Hold, rock, shush, do whatever it takes to get him to sleep without the boob. He might get pissed, and it's ok to give him the boob for a minute or two to help resettle him and try again. This is good practice for falling asleep without the boob, so try to make sure that happens.

When you're down to around 5 minutes, the really hard part starts. You can continue to decrease the time, or just drop the feed altogether. From here, I'm just going to tell you how it went for me, because beyond this you may have a different experience. I kept stepping down, and we got to the point where only 3-4 minutes of nursing would settle him enough that I could unlatch and quickly rock/shush him back to sleep without too much crying, but that was his absolute floor. As we got closer to 0 minutes, there was resistance, and a whole lot of crying. I rocked, shushed, bounced, sang, whatever I had to do to settle him and maintain my sanity without going back to nursing. I will say that I found the screaming far far easier to bear when I was actively trying to comfort him. Sometimes it was only for a couple of minutes, sometimes it was 10 that seemed like forever due to how riled up and seemingly inconsolable he was. Eventually though, I'd get him back to sleep. And after a few nights, when he woke up and started crying, as soon as I picked him up, he'd settle right back down and be out cold in 2 minutes. Then he stopped waking up until 2 am, then 4. We never did drop that last feed because by then he'd slept a solid 7-8 hour block and I no longer felt like a re-animated rear end zombie.

That last home stretch loving sucked, and admittedly I did give in once or twice and just let him nurse for a bit. But that made me feel even worse than his crying because I had committed to seeing this through and I knew that consistency was the key. BUT, if it's going really really badly, it's ok to stop and try at a different time, there's no point driving yourselves insane! We were lucky we got it done when we did, because after 2 weeks of good sleep, we got round 1 of molars + canines and wakings every 1-2 hours, and then again with the other set a month later. If we'd tried to wean then, it probably would have been a disaster.

I'm not sure if bedsharing will make this process easier or harder; the closeness of mom might be enough to help settle down, but on the other hand, the boob being right there but not available might piss him off.

One other important point. Night weaning will probably affect supply. Mine was apparently heavily dependent on those night feeds and completely tanked once the process was over. This finally gave me an excuse to stop pumping, so that was actually a plus. He was 12 months and 95th percentile by weight by then and eating 3 solid meals a day, so it's not like he needed it.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

killer crane posted:

one of mine does not like laying down to change diaper or clothes, and thrashes like yours. depending on the grossness of the diaper we change him standing up. sometimes we have to put him down, and we tell him that he needs to lie down, and about half the time he complies, and half the time he doesn't.

as far as the "mine" phase: it's going to happen, but see if he's communicating something else if it's constant. maybe he needs a space of his own, or maybe he wants to flex his independence, and you can find some way to show him to be more independent (like picking his own clothes). is there a certain place, or time it happens, or an object he's especially focused on?
i really think kids are usually frustrated about failed communication when their behavior gets exhausting for parents.

Yeah. 19mo old and recently started this poo poo. He used to have absolutely no problem with any of this. This morning he thrashed and screamed and refused to listen when I tried to get him dressed for day care. It’s happening every time now and he didn’t want to sit up or stand up either so I have no idea what to do. Last night he actually refused to sit up simply because we wanted him to sit up, so I had to put his pajama shirt on like when he was younger and couldn’t sit up on his own yet. This is already getting old. I read that with diaper changes this behavior could indicate its time to start potty training but it’s really early and we won’t even think about starting that until our son can tell us he’s gone poopy or peepee, and can understand what we mean when we ask.

As to “MINE” he’s mainly doing this with objects he doesn’t want to give to us, especially objects he previously cared little about, or objects that belong to us. Or, things he’s shown he knows he’s not supposed to have, he now grabs, refuses to give to us on request or order, carries off to get away from us, and yanks away from us if we have to grab for it. Then he screams MINE and cries and throws a fit when we get it from him, as if he’s just decided that whatever object is now his.

I know we are about five months away from 2, so this is kind of expected but this week my wife has been sick, housework we were supposed to do together has fallen on me, and 95% of the caretaking for our son AND my wife has fallen on me, so of course it’s time to start acting like a little poo poo. I’ve been nanoseconds away from just going into another room and screaming and it’s been hard to keep my cool with him because everything is a fight now and my wife can’t help so, this hasn’t been a great holiday. Also, my wife is coughing all night and I can’t sleep for poo poo either—on days he went to daycare last week we had poo poo to do but my wife insisted on getting him from daycare early so we could experience his tantrums and MINE MINE MINE phase and not getting anything done in the house and I’m about fried.

Lord Hawking
Aug 8, 2002

SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!!!

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Thanks for your support! I will ask the goon docs about scabies.

I hope this is not your circumstance, but they can be hiding not just in the clothing and sheets but in the actual mattresses, too.

As a summer camp counselor, I caught scabies from an infested mattress. Twice. The first was during orientation/training period when we switched the cabin where we slept every couple of nights, so I couldn't be sure which bed had carried it or if I had gotten it from some other source on my time off, but when they reappeared later that summer after I had slept in one particular bunk again, I made sure maintenance crew had the mattresses destroyed and replaced.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

14 month old started having a really dry cough the last two nights. It’s not happening during the day. He doesn’t have a fever or runny nose but tonight he was coughing in his sleep a bunch and sneezing a bit.

Any idea what this could be? We gave him some honey and some water just now. It sounds just like a dry hoarse hack and it’s not constant. No wheezing either.

He had a small cold maybe a week ago that didn’t seem to last long, but I don’t know if it’s related since he didn’t have any symptoms the last few days.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Our doctor said that post nasal drip can cause a cough, so maybe he’s still got some of that from the cold? I don’t know, we’ve had a dry cough for at least a month now after the initial bronchiolitis diagnosis.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

nwin posted:

14 month old started having a really dry cough the last two nights. It’s not happening during the day. He doesn’t have a fever or runny nose but tonight he was coughing in his sleep a bunch and sneezing a bit.

Any idea what this could be? We gave him some honey and some water just now. It sounds just like a dry hoarse hack and it’s not constant. No wheezing either.

He had a small cold maybe a week ago that didn’t seem to last long, but I don’t know if it’s related since he didn’t have any symptoms the last few days.

Honestly it's probably the cold. I think everyone in our house is like on week loving four or something of this crud. Everyone has just this lingering cough.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm quick to administer a couple milliliters of Benadryl for any ENT issue. A humidifier might also help, if the air is dry.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah after I slept a few hours after my post at 2 am I figured it’s probably just the cold. We have a humidifier on every night because it’s so loving dry in the house.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Our kiddo seems to have gotten what my wife had, which was a bad cold with a terrible cough that kept us both up each night last week. For the first time in months we had to suck out his nose today and give him claritin.

Also four times in the past week he's woken up hysterically screaming and taking two of us to console him, often he reaches for whoever walks in his room second and doesn't want whichever one of us walked in first. But last night I went in as I was still up and my wife was in bed, and it took me thirty minutes to console him.

I still have no idea why he's been doing this. No gas, coughing doesn't usually cause this, and no diaper rash to be bothering him. All I can figure is maybe growing pains? We'd been giving him tylenol last week in case it was diaper rash, and it seemed to help--no tylenol last night and he woke up. I figure if it's growing pains maybe some tylenol again will help.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Dads- when did y'all opt for the ole snipperoo? i'm waiting to be comfortbly out of the SIDS window but i scheduled a consult just to get that out of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
There's a thought. Hadn't really considered it, actually.