Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

DoubleT2172 posted:

I remember seeing something this or last week saying party and social functions will require a Facebook account now

The funny thing to me is people not noticing that an Oculus account is, for all intents of purposes, also an account controlled and data-mined by Facebook. So not much of a difference in between before and now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Chin Strap posted:

I let my 4 year old nephew try my quest, the main problem is to find a game that will adjust height that low I've found.

I bet a 4 year old would loving devastate poo poo in Blade & Sorcery like god drat Yoda or something, loving zoomers :bahgawd:

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Been following at least a couple of VR threads here, and got £400 to spend for a PCVR system. Thinking of buying a Quest and an extension cable though worried about getting tangled while moving around. Is it worth saving for an Index or buying the knuckles seperately (not that I've seen them for sale)?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Desdinova posted:

Been following at least a couple of VR threads here, and got £400 to spend for a PCVR system. Thinking of buying a Quest and an extension cable though worried about getting tangled while moving around. Is it worth saving for an Index or buying the knuckles seperately (not that I've seen them for sale)?

I'd get the Quest. Might be you don't actually enjoy VR that much, then you've wasted £400, not the £919 an Index costs, and the Quest has the whole, "Play games without being tied up with a cable" aspect going for it, so you're not just getting an Index but worse.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Gort posted:

I'd get the Quest. Might be you don't actually enjoy VR that much, then you've wasted £400, not the £919 an Index costs, and the Quest has the whole, "Play games without being tied up with a cable" aspect going for it, so you're not just getting an Index but worse.

Don't you need the cable to make the Quest PC ready?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turin Turambar posted:

The funny thing to me is people not noticing that an Oculus account is, for all intents of purposes, also an account controlled and data-mined by Facebook. So not much of a difference in between before and now.

Oh no, Mark Zuckerberg is gonna blackmail me with recordings of when I beat small children in Creed VR

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Desdinova posted:

Don't you need the cable to make the Quest PC ready?

Any decent USB3 cable will work (Oculus even endorses using Anker ones), the official Link cable is just one that's guaranteed to work.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Desdinova posted:

The Index shouldn't be an option unless you already have a relatively beefy PC or the budget to build one. Running at 120 or 144hz at that kind of resolution is marvelous but you'll want at least a 1080/1080ti or RTX 2070 or better to take advantage of the Index's capabilities as much as you'd like. Otherwise, you'll end up playing games at 80hz with resolution downscaled to match your system and you'd might as well be using a cheaper headset at that point or waiting for hardware to get cheaper.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I recommend measuring IPD and checking out a Rift S if you already have a gaming PC. I don't understand at all how the Quest is so popular among people with VR-capable PCs because it is so front heavy and hurts to wear for longer than 30 min. Adding the cable just adds more weight and then you have all the negatives of a wired set with none of the positive. Plus, particle and smoke effects look like rear end on a linked Quest due to its video compression. It is a good headset if you don't have a gaming PC but everyone overlooks comfort. My face hurts just thinking about wearing a Quest again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bloodplay it again posted:

I recommend measuring IPD and checking out a Rift S if you already have a gaming PC. I don't understand at all how the Quest is so popular among people with VR-capable PCs because it is so front heavy and hurts to wear for longer than 30 min. Adding the cable just adds more weight and then you have all the negatives of a wired set with none of the positive. Plus, particle and smoke effects look like rear end on a linked Quest due to its video compression. It is a good headset if you don't have a gaming PC but everyone overlooks comfort. My face hurts just thinking about wearing a Quest again.

It's got a far better IPD range than the Rift S, and being able to disconnect it and play portably makes the Quest pretty drat good value for money.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Comfort depends on the person, I have no problem wearing it for a long time, personally. There are also various comfort mods you can do, ranging from more $$$ like getting a Vive Deluxe Audio Strap, to just hanging something that weighs a few hundred grams to the lower back strap (adding more weight isn't inherently a huge deal, it's the weight distribution that matters, so adding weight can make it feel lighter overall). Being able to do both things is a pretty fantastic bargain, and even with a good PC you'll probably end up spending a good amount of time just playing it standalone.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's got a far better IPD range than the Rift S, and being able to disconnect it and play portably makes the Quest pretty drat good value for money.

I suggested measuring IPD before anything else. If 70% of the population can use it then there's a good chance they are in that range.

Lemming posted:

Comfort depends on the person, I have no problem wearing it for a long time, personally. There are also various comfort mods you can do, ranging from more $$$ like getting a Vive Deluxe Audio Strap, to just hanging something that weighs a few hundred grams to the lower back strap (adding more weight isn't inherently a huge deal, it's the weight distribution that matters, so adding weight can make it feel lighter overall). Being able to do both things is a pretty fantastic bargain, and even with a good PC you'll probably end up spending a good amount of time just playing it standalone.

128GB Quest + link cable + deluxe audio strap is like 2/3 of the way to an Index. I think it is important to point out that the Quest is not very comfortable out of the box and if it is something you can only wear for a bit at a time, you might not want to use it on a regular basis. If you don't have a gaming PC, fine, but there is no way I would have ever spent half as much time playing VR if I had to use a Quest instead of the Rift S. I am able to wear it for 4+ hours which is over 8x longer than the longest session I was able to stomach with the Quest strapped to my face. All of that said, I am not knocking the Quest if it works for you. Just as it is important to point out IPD requirements on the S, it is important to point out Quest comfort issues.

Edit for game talk:

Pick up the Croteam VR bundle for $15.95. TFE has been worth the price of admission alone. I have never seen so many different comfort or graphics options in a VR game before.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 30, 2019

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Desdinova posted:

You can’t really buy the knuckles controllers by themselves and do anything with them. You need to also buy $300 in lighthouses in which case you are $500 from the full index kit which is the cost of the Index HMD.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Time to make a fake Facebook account if you don’t have one :shrug:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

128GB Quest + link cable + deluxe audio strap is like 2/3 of the way to an Index. I think it is important to point out that the Quest is not very comfortable out of the box and if it is something you can only wear for a bit at a time, you might not want to use it on a regular basis. If you don't have a gaming PC, fine, but there is no way I would have ever spent half as much time playing VR if I had to use a Quest instead of the Rift S. I am able to wear it for 4+ hours which is over 8x longer than the longest session I was able to stomach with the Quest strapped to my face. All of that said, I am not knocking the Quest if it works for you. Just as it is important to point out IPD requirements on the S, it is important to point out Quest comfort issues.

Nobody should buy either the 128gb quest (64gb is fine) or the link cable (get a short 1-3ft a to c cable and a 15 foot active usb 3 extension cable for ~$30 max) unless you're happy to set money on fire. But yeah I agree comfort can be an issue, but again that depends on the person and can potentially be a very easy fix (if putting weight on the back fixes it for you, which it seems to for a lot of people). This was also largely in response to your saying "I don't understand at all how the Quest is so popular among people with VR-capable PCs because it is so front heavy and hurts to wear for longer than 30 min." and my point was you can mitigate comfort and the standalone nature is probably worth it even if you initially planned to use it mostly hooked up, because that part is usually more enjoyable than people think it'll end up being.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I was pretty surprised after being so used to the OG Rift and Vive at the weight at the front of the Quest. Still more comfortable than a few of the WMR ones I've used.

I'd still like to get a Deluxe Audio Strap to help distribute the weight and improve the sound, which is pretty good but noticeably not as nice as the original Rift.

More uncomfortable for me was it's propensity to get hot. I don't sweat in VR but I found it noticeably warm and off putting compared to what I'm used to.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well after several hours of Wurstworld in H3VR I can confirm that Index controllers do indeed let you throw poo poo better... and that watching a horseshoe land right beside the pole is frustrating as gently caress.

Also I am now exhasted, and my arms are tired :shepface:.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I was having issues with the Quest comfort at first, but everything changed with an Anker 10k pd Powerbank strapped to the back. Now I barely feel any difference from my old CV1 even if the actual weight is more. The real issue is that by default it's very badly balanced.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 30, 2019

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I've just got a roll of two pence coins strapped to the back of mine. Makes a big difference.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Or, just, you know, just not connect your Facebook account to your Oculus account and let them turn off the social features? :shrug: Why use Oculus social features but not Facebook social features? There doesn’t seem to be much reason to value Facebook employees that Oculus PMs farmed work out to any differently than Facebook PMs directly.

Kinda sucks but trying to merge online social graphs is par for the course for Facebook since its inception.

Also reality is boring and most of the data they want is probably going to be “do you play VR” so companies can target ads specifically to that demographic on Facebook/Instagram. It’s not much of a bullet to bite tbh since I lock my Facebook account down on recommendations/targeting and privacy anyways.

[Edited for clarification]

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 30, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I lock my Facebook account down on recommendations/targeting and privacy anyways.

incredibly cute that you think this actually does anything

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Or, just, you know, just not connect your Facebook account to your Oculus account and let them turn off the social features? :shrug: Why use Oculus social features but not Facebook social features? There doesn’t seem to be much reason to value Facebook employees that Oculus PMs farmed work out to any differently than Facebook PMs directly.

Why does Facebook suddenly demand you must have a Facebook account to use Oculus features that didn't need them before? :shrug:

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Kinda sucks but trying to merge online social graphs is par for the course for Facebook since its inception.

Also reality is boring and most of the data they want is probably going to be “do you play VR” so companies can target ads specifically to that demographic on Facebook/Instagram. It’s not much of a bullet to bite tbh since I lock my Facebook account down on recommendations/targeting and privacy anyways.

[Edited for clarification]

The reality is that people in VR headsets tied to a Facebook account are functionally giving themselves up wholesale biometrically in a world of AI assistants and algorithms with everything they say and do. And that's worth a shitload more money than "I play Beat Saber, target me with ads for Pistol Whip". If that was the entirety of it, VR would not be something Facebook was so driven to push so aggressively.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i see your vr movements have been a bit sluggish lately, here buy some isostar

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Truga posted:

43% of people in Facebook Horizon are currently talking about Trump. 35% of those people are against impeachment.

26% of people are talking about Rise of Skywalker. It's mostly negative.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Truga posted:

I bet my left testicle that we're just a couple of years, if not months, away from that scenario becoming a reality.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Truga posted:

incredibly cute that you think this actually does anything
FWIW I once worked there. Notwithstanding the occasional bonehead that conflates phone number with 2FA SMS number, it generally does.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why does Facebook suddenly demand you must have a Facebook account to use Oculus features that didn't need them before? :shrug:

[...]
If that was the entirety of it, VR would not be something Facebook was so driven to push so aggressively.

Why wait? My guess is that they were waiting for a moment of explosive growth to happen first. See also: Quest. Nothing kills deployment of social features faster than lack of critical mass. Useful features can die because they’re early to be good. A reputation for being empty guarantees itself.

Facebook accounts get poo poo on but even though I wish they didn’t trigger growth in almost any product they touch, most people would rather push a Facebook login button than think hard or even remember a password.

And it comes with the biggest social graph in the world included. Even Snapchat, Battle.net, and Steam have all made use of it. The latter two are pretty directly applicable. They wouldn’t want to make it actual login integration lest they lose control of owning their own user data but there’s no mistake that they were willing to and did share with Facebook to benefit their platform, as long as their users approved.

Also ads tend to be stupid and stupid profitable. It’s hard to get to the point where you can even offer the option of “target VR users” but I’m willing to bet that once you do, your business customers don’t necessarily shrink their advertising budget because it’s more effective, they reallocate their budget, because it’s the most effective, and the money prints itself.

People see ads as some big brained AI playing 12d chess when it’s really just a ton of complicated poo poo to make a GUI so you can tell some chef to buy a sous vide cooker, or a teacher to buy a new stapler, or some neckbeard running Gentoo to buy a raspberry pi or some poo poo.

tl;dr ads are actually dumb and stupid but people can’t believe that people superficially like them are thinking about buying the same thing they are so they fantasize about a spy agency instead of a boring marketing firm. gently caress, I wish tech was that cool.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

tl;dr ads are actually dumb and stupid but people can’t believe that people superficially like them are thinking about buying the same thing they are so they fantasize about a spy agency instead of a boring marketing firm. gently caress, I wish tech was that cool.

Hey Google; Play Spotify.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
you really don't think the NSA has access to facebook's marketing data, google's adsense data, etc etc? that seems very unlikely to me. It's the new frontier of information and they've been tapped into every previous one so far.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Walrus posted:

you really don't think the NSA has access to facebook's marketing data, google's adsense data, etc etc? that seems very unlikely to me. It's the new frontier of information and they've been tapped into every previous one so far.

Also Facebook have quite openly stated they're working an in-VR smart assistant, so they'll have all that information regardless.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hey Google; Play Spotify.
Touché, but those products don’t optimize ads so much as, through convenience, route a lifestyle through the services that do. Maybe siphon some value through referrals/affiliate revenue though.

The Walrus posted:

I unironically think that intelligence agencies across the world have infiltrated large tech companies with more money and influence than a lot of countries, and that access to those numbers is restricted with that being considered as a part of the threat model, yes.

EDIT: s/word/world

(Also I happened to google for raspberry pi 4 gentoo recently because I was thinking of tinkering with mine and lol that was a surprise)

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 30, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Touché, but those products don’t optimize ads so much as, through convenience, route a lifestyle through the services that do. Maybe siphon some value through referrals/affiliate revenue though.

Still missing the point; You're feeding everything you say into a system built specifically to recognise and parse complete sentence structure. Accurately. How it parses it for user commands is irrelevant compared to what the rest is going towards. Targeting ads at people means gently caress-all compared to pulling market research data in real-time 24-7, 365 days a year, and it's something that Marketers would sell their mothers for. You are not the customer at Facebook, you are the product farmed, by them, to anyone who'll buy.

Amazon's already gotten dinged for this exact thing with their Echo units.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 30, 2019

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So I found a way to fix all my problems with PAYDAY 2 and it's this mod: https://gitlab.com/znixian/payday2-vr-improvements

Adds push-to-talk, fixes you not being able to jump certain gaps by giving you a proper sprint and jump buttons, adds option for head-based movement and let's you rotate with right stick.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh noes, they will use the knowledge I'm a 30 something white man playing video games to do slightly more targeted ads instead of generic ones. Which I won't see because I use an ad blocker.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh noes, they will use the knowledge I'm a 30 something white man playing video games to do slightly more targeted ads instead of generic ones. Which I won't see because I use an ad blocker.

Don't forget the data they'll pull from you watching vr porn.
I'm sure that one of those Rift S/Quest cameras are pointed right at your dick. What did you think the hand tracking was ACTUALLY developed for?

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
Thanks for the replies, decided to go with a Rift S, mainly due to me having a decent enough gaming PC and the seemingly big improvement on gfx.

Is it worth buying an extender cable in case I start wrapping myself up and garotting myself with cable? I'll only be using VR in a 2m x 2m room.

RE: Facebook spy chat - I'd rather have targeted ads then untargeted ones, and I'm fairly sure that every website uses Google in some way and they've got similar government involvement. Not saying I don't care about privacy but it seems they've already got that info, so may as well resist the upcoming Skynet's intelligence as long as poss

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
Edit: Double post :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Walrus posted:

This isn't even a secret. If you go looking facebook and google have both been pretty open to installing back-ends for the FBI and so forth. Brave new world we live in.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The larger issues with Facebook and friends isn't even the privacy issues, it's the spread of propaganda, misinformation, and radicalization. I wonder how that's going to affect VR communities and even stuff outside that's just linked to your account.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This, plus a dedicated $30 Android burner phone just for fake social media accounts seems like an increasingly wise plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Facebook is poo poo, but it's kind of a dumb stance to avoid Oculus because they're controlled by Zuckerberg. What exactly are they going to datamine from you that they aren't already mining more efficiently? Do you think not "linking" your accounts by pressing that button is going to stop them from figuring out that you're the same person? What biometrics do you all think a VR headset is able to figure out while you're playing Beat Saber?