Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

like mike portnoy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
yes v similar but instead of boring prog drums he beats his hog for hours at a time

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

WatermelonGun posted:

yes v similar but instead of boring prog drums he beats his hog for hours at a time

A man jerking off to the cadence of Pull Me Under

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I'm watching the Ghibli film I've looked forward to seeing the least: Giant Tanuki Balls: The Movie, AKA Pom Poko. It's pretty weird

Edit: Kinda wishing this movie was more like a realistic one about actual raccoon dogs instead of weird gross cartoon monsters. The animation on the realistic animals is great

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 30, 2019

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I had to watch a bunch of Ghibli for college and I never understood why anyone would willingly watch that stuff. To each their own and all that. I am, however, appreciative that in such a disposable genre Ghibli's managed to keep their name going.

Re-reading Triplanetary for like the jillionth time. Its got everything, casual sexism, eugenics, and heroes who think their strong jawline is a defining trait.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

If you didn't like movies like Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies I don't know what to tell you

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mononoke was decent but it was no Hakaider.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
calling anime a disposable genre in the same post as admitting to reading the same pulp sci fi novel over and over is some sort of power move

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WatermelonGun posted:

calling anime a disposable genre in the same post as admitting to reading the same pulp sci fi novel over and over is some sort of power move

I am very powerful yes.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
cocopower

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

when I catch pokemon I do a modified version of the ciero miedo taunt because I want to put all the little bastards in balls.

my wife deeply regrets getting me this game.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
my partner’s brother got us ring fit adventure for christmas (rude) but there’s a dog kettlebell called a kennelbell and i wish there were more fitness themed pokemon

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Still need to watch Mononoke sometime in my life time

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

yea ok posted:

Still need to watch Mononoke sometime in my life time

It's good my dude, I hope you do. Some people consider it to be the best Ghibli film which I don't have a problem with even though it's not my #1

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Miyazaki has made 0 bad movies it’s wild

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

so have I. its not hard.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Ponyo was pretty bad and carried by the always excellent animation the studio does. It would not be as praised as it is if someone else made it.

But 1 bad movie while the rest are instant classics is still an amazing record.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
lol no ponyo is dope. smoke more weed.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

extradite THIS! posted:

It's good my dude, I hope you do. Some people consider it to be the best Ghibli film which I don't have a problem with even though it's not my #1

Yeah, it's the big gap in those for me. Seen all the rest or maybe most of the rest, I don't know

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

I know I'm a heretic but I've always thought that Howl's Moving Castle is better than Spirited Away. I do love Mononoke though, and Grave is in that category of "spectacularly beautiful but good Lord I never want to see it again it's so crushingly sad".

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Akira > any Ghibli movie

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

But also Akira Manga >>>>>>>>> Akira Anime

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Wasn’t there some Steam Boy one he made? I didn’t like that.

Looked it up. That was the Akira guy. Steam Boy was not good.

Princess Mononoke is the kind of movie that you don’t want to watch until about 15 minutes in and you realize there’s a part of your life just been waiting to watch it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Ok so maybe I just finished season 1 of The Witcher and now I want to play Witcher 3 what of it? WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE ME?!

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

NienNunb posted:

Akira > any Ghibli movie

yes

NienNunb posted:

Akira > any Ghibli movie

no they are both perfect

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah they're both perfect for their mediums. I adore all the manga stuff they left out of the movie, but I've literally never seen a movie that looks as good as Akira. Nobody will make a movie with that amount of detail ever again.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Witcher 3 is next on my list of poo poo to play. I kept trying to get back to it when all the DLC came out but life is an ugly mother sometimes.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

It’s weird and stupid that animation is considered a genre

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Kvantum posted:

I know I'm a heretic but I've always thought that Howl's Moving Castle is better than Spirited Away. I do love Mononoke though, and Grave is in that category of "spectacularly beautiful but good Lord I never want to see it again it's so crushingly sad".

My problem with Howl's Moving Castle is that I love the book uncontrollably and it uses about 10% of the plot of the book. And while the rest of the film is excellent, it's so different from the book that it's jarring.

Basically, imagine that you're a huge fan of Hamlet, and you see a movie of Hamlet that reveals at the end of the first act that his father faked his own death and is trying to recruit him into the secret war against the dark elves. It could be great, but it will definitely require gear changes.

I fully accept that I am likely the only person with this problem.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i need to watch mononoke also. But i don't need to watch it.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i'm still doing a death march run of witcher 3. its way harder in the beginning than it is later. i'm waltzing through it now lol

also snagged pillars of eternity so i can get ready for deadfire

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ghibli is tainted for me by the discovery that miyazaki is an unbelievable poo poo on almost every level

he abuses his son, he's a nightmare boss that has traumatized his employees, his dream is to watch everyone except him die, he's just the worst

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it was profoundly sad and funny when those one guys showed miyazaki their procedural animation or whatever it was, and he thought it was just making fun of people with disabilities, and that it was the worst thing he'd ever seen, absolutely destroying the hearts of those guys

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

TOSS A COIN TO YOUR WITCHER, O'VALLEY OF PLENTY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0XgPwiY6X4

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he can't be bleat

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yinlock posted:

ghibli is tainted for me by the discovery that miyazaki is an unbelievable poo poo on almost every level

he abuses his son, he's a nightmare boss that has traumatized his employees, his dream is to watch everyone except him die, he's just the worst

lol yeah, it's kind of weird that he's vocally and loudly anti-war and anti-fascist but also seems like a pretty destructive crummy person to be around. He's not great at practicing what he preaches.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Cavauro posted:

it was profoundly sad and funny when those one guys showed miyazaki their procedural animation or whatever it was, and he thought it was just making fun of people with disabilities, and that it was the worst thing he'd ever seen, absolutely destroying the hearts of those guys

I think he also said God would punish them for making it. Everyone in the room looked like their life was flashing before their eyes in real time.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

hypocrisy is the most common element in the universe.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Critical posted:

I think he also said God would punish them for making it. Everyone in the room looked like their life was flashing before their eyes in real time.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJudurbkv1E