Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Relayer posted:

I played a shaman up to like level 58 on shards of dalaya, and this was about a decade ago, and even then getting to any of the endgame content felt hopeless. Although the content I did get to do was quite fun and good and I was poised to not like it because it's "custom" but that feeling completely evaporated once I started playing

In SoD I duo boxed a monk shaman to level 15 or so and I remember having a lot of fun with it, I vaguely remember finding a custom dungeon hidden in the Qeynos Sewers. Shame about the population though. If we had another goon drive I'd consider giving it another shot. Was kind of thinking what I would want to do and thought of a Beastlord/Mage duo, spam out with pets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Does anyone know if pets in SoD can tank for players? I don't particularly want to scour the forums for hours trying to figure it out and I also don't really want to install it if I can't play a bst with my pet tanking for me

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

One of the p99 goons was a dev on shards of dalaya and that is basically all I know about it.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

hello friends, please remember that melee/hybrid classes/wizards are Not Good In Vanilla. should you against all sense and reason decide to roll one anyway, expect to have to put in staggering amounts of hours just to have fun past level 20 or so. roll a good class.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Zodium posted:

hello friends, please remember that melee/hybrid classes/wizards are Not Good In Vanilla. should you against all sense and reason decide to roll one anyway, expect to have to put in staggering amounts of hours just to have fun past level 20 or so. roll a good class.

Paladins and SKs and Monks and Rogues are fine, honestly. Stuns and Disease cloud do wonders for snap aggro for the former 2, and the latter 2 have utility beyond their current gear as pullers and scouts. Pal/SK just get got by the exp penalty really bad. Rangers are savagely, indefensibly bad pretty much for the entirety of the timespan that project 99 lives in. Warriors can be OK, they just need a lot of gear and there really won't be a flood of cheap well statted warrior stuff and cheap proc weapons until Kunark / velious when Crusty armor becomes a thing and the market cools off on SSOYs due to other options, they are just boring as gently caress and nothing in the course of P99 is going to change that fact.

Edit: Also Bards are pretty much useful and pretty fun at all points in the game full stop, hybrid exp penalty be damned. You're liked and wanted in groups, you're FAST AS gently caress, you're almost entirely gear independant (minus instruments, though MM drums are basically the standard you live by). You have several methods to solo by, even if you're not swarm kiting an entire zone (They can fear kite! They can Charm Kite, they can just sing a badguy to death while they run slightly faster than the bad guy!) Once you get the mana song you are the caster's best friend alongside enchanters. If poo poo starts going bad you have the preeminent ability to escape between mez/speed song / ect.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 30, 2019

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

none of those classes are "fine" in vanilla. they aren't as utterly useless as warriors? they are still completely dependent on being carried by a good class and add little value outside a few niche encounters. melees do dogshit damage at every point in vanilla because sufficiently good weapon ratios just don't exist till high end kunark, and they similarly can't tank for crap because they won't have enough HP, AC or discs to mitigate damage enough to match pet regen. they aren't useless but their utility is so marginal they may as well be. i'm not even talking compared to silly classes like enchanter here, even a shaman's max pet hits for 51 and has 1800 base hp while regenerating like 2%/tic.

(bards aren't counted here, bards are good and not generally considered "hybrids" but I guess they aren't casters either.)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It is pretty hilarious that the worst class in the game gets an xp penalty.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

aren't monks like king poo poo of gently caress mountain for the entirety of vanilla -> velious or are the p99 rules that garbage

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zodium posted:

none of those classes are "fine" in vanilla. they aren't as utterly useless as warriors? they are still completely dependent on being carried by a good class and add little value outside a few niche encounters. melees do dogshit damage at every point in vanilla because sufficiently good weapon ratios just don't exist till high end kunark, and they similarly can't tank for crap because they won't have enough HP, AC or discs to mitigate damage enough to match pet regen. they aren't useless but their utility is so marginal they may as well be. i'm not even talking compared to silly classes like enchanter here, even a shaman's max pet hits for 51 and has 1800 base hp while regenerating like 2%/tic.

(bards aren't counted here, bards are good and not generally considered "hybrids" but I guess they aren't casters either.)

Who is tanking if not a warrior or a hybrid????

Like yeah you shouldn't ever play a warrior or wizard as your first character, you should only roll them if you're twinking or building specifically to raid, but like... IDK man you're going a bit overboard here.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Why is it that wizards are bad? The other casters doing a lot more damage?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

apparently the only classes worth a poo poo are the ones that are OP for small group content.. which makes sense since this is P99 and like 10 people on the server will get to see raids

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Groovelord Neato posted:

They are a one trick pony with Evacuate / Teleport and no other utility and when they blast themselves out of mana they have nothing else. An out of mana mage still has the pet slaps, enchanters and necros have ways to feed themselves and others mana to keep online (and both have charm and pet slaps as well) or druids that have buffs and heals and such to bring to the table as well as succor/teleports. There's also the problem that doing all of your damage in GIANT FUCKOFF HUGES SPIKES makes it hart to gauge how much hate you have, and mobs are more likely to turn on you and make you a grease spot before the cleric can say 'wtf?'

If you want to play a nuke caster, play mage, if you want to run a taxi service and solo kite, play druid. Avoid wizard - they don't really get objectively good until Luclin and beyond anyways.

(I say this as a Kunark -> Planes of Power Wizard main from back in the day :smithicide:)

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 30, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Wizards aren't bad per se, but they're just not very good in camping groups and that's what 99% of EQ is for most people.

They do good damage but have bad mana efficiency, so they run out and spend all the time meditating, not contributing as much as another class would.

But they're ideal at raiding endgame, so hardly a "bad" class.... just one that you want to twink and grind solo.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Is the server "vanilla" as in wizards get resisted like crazy 35+, rogues have terrible bonuses to backstab, rangers have paper thin defenses in combination with bows sucking poo poo, and halfings get an experience bonus instead of humans? Those were good times.

Can you equip a necro pet with steel daggers, buff it, cast haste on it and watch it wreck poo poo with no experience penalty?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Zaphod42 posted:

Wizards aren't bad per se, but they're just not very good in camping groups and that's what 99% of EQ is for most people.

They do good damage but have bad mana efficiency, so they run out and spend all the time meditating, not contributing as much as another class would.

But they're ideal at raiding endgame, so hardly a "bad" class.... just one that you want to twink and grind solo.

I mean, wizard nukes are the most mana efficient DDers in the game by a fair margin over mages and Druids, the problem is everything else. They have the biggest nuke costs compared to mage or druid, but that's also because Wizard nukes do like 1.5-2x the damage of other classes similar leveled main nuke spells. No natural mana regen boosts until luclin familiars, no buffs/debuffs. You stand up, cast a spell, sit down and maybe die when the mob decides he had enough of your poo poo.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, wizard nukes are the most mana efficient DDers in the game by a fair margin over mages and Druids, the problem is everything else. They have the biggest nuke costs compared to mage or druid, but that's also because Wizard nukes do like 1.5-2x the damage of other classes similar leveled main nuke spells. No natural mana regen boosts until luclin familiars, no buffs/debuffs. You stand up, cast a spell, sit down and maybe die when the mob decides he had enough of your poo poo.

The problem is that until the addition of lure spells (I think that's what they were called) you will be lucky to get 1 in 5 casts to get through. I don't think there were partial resists at release. Wizards were next to useless when PoF was released. It was fun.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Indecisive posted:

aren't monks like king poo poo of gently caress mountain for the entirety of vanilla -> velious or are the p99 rules that garbage

monks go from not good in vanilla to very good in kunark to stupid good in velious because verant dispensed with the "inherently strong class that gets zero gear, gently caress you" class concept and just gave them a ton of extremely good gear.

Zaphod42 posted:

Like yeah you shouldn't ever play a warrior or wizard as your first character, you should only roll them if you're twinking or building specifically to raid, but like... IDK man you're going a bit overboard here.

a pet.

Groovelord Neato posted:

no pet means no sustained damage.

Indecisive posted:

apparently the only classes worth a poo poo are the ones that are OP for small group content.. which makes sense since this is P99 and like 10 people on the server will get to see raids

yeah there are three (3) raid targets, play Blue if you want to raid

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Zaphod42 posted:

Charms and pets in group content, a single twinked melee in raid content (you will not be this melee character)

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Yea we had our GL who was a warrior and our main tank, and his wife, who played an SK and was our off tank until PoP forced us to gear up another warrior. I had no life and was in THE raid guild on Rodcet.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

My brother just happened to roll enchanter back in the day. I unfortunately rolled paladin.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

hilariously, prior to kunark, in a lot of cases rogues in particular are passively harmful to groups, like moreso than the hybrid exp penalty, because they do gently caress all dps while preventing the group from using pet tanks that self-heal with regen

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
My dad and I both played at launch. I rolled a warrior and he rolled a wizard. I don't think either one of us hit level 20 until Kunark lol

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ya I had a rogue join my premade trio the other night and all it did was leech xp, take aggro from me (monk) and contribute mediocre dps.

That said, play whatever you want who the hell cares about minmaxing in this ancient game, or even reaching max level for that matter.

But ya if you want to actually do good play a necro or something.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I mean, wasn't launch EQ rogues main problem is that Backstab is a flat multiplier off your main hand weapon damage and the only weapons in the base game above 9ish base damage were straight up raid drops? I mean, Poison making was hot garbage too, but poison making was basically always hot garbage in terms of time/money investment vs payout.

Or was things like hide/sneak to shirk aggro not a thing in classic either?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, wasn't launch EQ rogues main problem is that Backstab is a flat multiplier off your main hand weapon damage and the only weapons in the base game above 9ish base damage were straight up raid drops? I mean, Poison making was hot garbage too, but poison making was basically always hot garbage in terms of time/money investment vs payout.

Or was things like hide/sneak to shirk aggro not a thing in classic either?

all of the above and more like the no pet tank issue

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
You should just roll what you want to play. If optimization and being useful is your thing, roll one of the core good classes. If you really want to play a Wizard for whatever reason, just fuckin do it. Who cares. It's an old game. You'll have fun if you like the class.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

You should just roll what you want to play. If optimization and being useful is your thing, roll one of the core good classes. If you really want to play a Wizard for whatever reason, just fuckin do it. Who cares. It's an old game. You'll have fun if you like the class.

this is terrible advice, and "you'll have fun if you like the class" is a terribly dumb thing to say, for reasons I hope are obvious. there are exactly two "whatever reasons" someone might "really want to play a Wizard":

1) they have spent entirely too much time playing classic everquest, are aware of and have a plan for how to overcome the weaknesses of the class, and goals for how to use the class in the limited circumstances it can be. even in this case, people frequently do not end up enjoying their wizard because it is of very limited usefulness at best.
2) they are imagining what a "Wizard" are like. wizards are not like that. do not roll a wizard.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What’s your top classes to roll Zodium?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
EQ1 doesn't have a cool/viable melee or nuker class in vanilla

Play a mage if you want to nuke and just pretend your pet is a friend

Don't play melee, I tried playing melee on blue with twink gear and it sucked, playing it on green/teal is just asking to hate yourself. Only do it if you know what it's like and you have friends willing to carry you, because you will need carrying

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
You're all exagerating. Of course mages, necros, enchanters etc are the strongest, but anything without an exp penalty is fine, and the things with exp penalties would be fine if they didn't have them.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
Except wizards, don't play wizards.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

soy posted:

What’s your top classes to roll Zodium?

you can't go wrong with druid, or enchanter if you can pay consistent attention.

"play what you want" generally does go as long as it's for any of DRU/CLR/SHM/NEC/ENC/MAG/BRD. outside of raids, the ~optimal group comp~ will always involve mostly enchanters, but as those classes you'll be able to do or contribute reasonably well to all content. other classes need to be carried by those classes.

S tier
ENC, DRU

Vanilla tier:
SHM, CLE, MAG, NEC, BRD

Kunark tier:
RNG, ROG, MNK

Velious tier
SK, PAL, WAR

Stop Hurting Yourself tier
WIZ

Zodium fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 30, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

S Tier:
MAG, NEC, ENC, BRD

A Tier:
DRU, SHM, CLE

B Tier:
MNK, SK

C Tier:
PLD, RNG, ROG

D Tier:
WAR, WIZ

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that's cool I'm sorta maining a druid and I have a monk at 16 but I only level when my two other friends are on so it's like 10hrs a week max, so by the time I give a poo poo kunark will probably be out or nearly out on green

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I started a barbarian rogue last weekend and only just hit 10 today. I am throwing in the towel and starting a necro or sk. Can't get a group and waiting to heal sucks.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Zaphod42 posted:

B Tier:
SK

do not heed the above poster's advice on anything

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
i like sneaking around as a rogue you just gotta accept that you are dead weight in most exp groups so just be a chill dude and you'll be fine

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Zodium posted:

this is terrible advice, and "you'll have fun if you like the class" is a terribly dumb thing to say, for reasons I hope are obvious. there are exactly two "whatever reasons" someone might "really want to play a Wizard":

1) they have spent entirely too much time playing classic everquest, are aware of and have a plan for how to overcome the weaknesses of the class, and goals for how to use the class in the limited circumstances it can be. even in this case, people frequently do not end up enjoying their wizard because it is of very limited usefulness at best.
2) they are imagining what a "Wizard" are like. wizards are not like that. do not roll a wizard.

Any reason to want to roll a Wizard is a good reason to play a Wizard. I wouldn't recommend it to a new player but yes like you said if someone understands what goes with it and still wants to do it then they absolutely should. "You'll have fun if you like the class" implies a level of familiarity with the class. Some people enjoy playing gimp classes. I had a fuckin blast in classic eq playing a Ranger. They suck, but I liked the things the class could do.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

please knock Mom! posted:

Charms and pets in group content, a single twinked melee in raid content (you will not be this melee character)

Just curious about the difference here between TLP EQ servers and P99.

In TLP, obviously pets are nerfed in terms of raid content, forcing you to use actual tanks rather than pets. But I'm more curious about the raid bosses that death touch. Do pets tank those just fine, or is there a need for a few tanks there?

Also, it's a shame that PLD and SK are looked upon so poorly because of their EXP penalty. It's not like there's anything to do once you hit level 50, and both classes contribute quite a bit more to a group than a warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
It's ironic that the people who say not to play certain classes are the reason said classes aren't fun to play during those eras. Being shunned by groups isn't fun. It especially sucks because even the worst of the classes can easily hit the level cap and see all the content worth seeing.
Not talking about raids, but that stuff is poison.