Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I love listening to Holidays on Ice around this time of year. I’ll never forget the first time I heard it on the radio driving in interminable snowstorm traffic a couple days before Christmas. It was magical.

XBenedict posted:

Grover Gardner does mostly non-fiction, history in particular, so his fiction stuff can seem a little dry. Some notes about the Shirer book:

1. I can't believe it's only 57 hours. I've read that book a few times, and that seems VERY generous.
2. If you like it, one of Shirer's other books, "The Nightmare Years", which is also thoroughly excellent, releases in audio form after the first of the year. It's shorter...not short, just shorter.

Thanks for the recommendation - I’ll wishlist it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Lordshmee posted:

I love listening to Holidays on Ice around this time of year. I’ll never forget the first time I heard it on the radio driving in interminable snowstorm traffic a couple days before Christmas. It was magical.

Thanks for the recommendation - I’ll wishlist it.

The Crumpet the Elf story is now an Annual Holiday tradition for me.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I'm listening to civilized to death by Christopher Ryan

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
And what do you think about it? The ideas hinted at in the blurb can be taken to extremes with little effort. I am instantly leery of the Noble Savage take on our glorious past. Personally I do agree with the idea that as a species we are WAY out on the evolutionary ledge in terms of our ability to handle our own successes, but romanticizing a usually fictitious past is a dangerous fantasy.

I’m not necessarily trying to bash this book unread - just looking to see whether or not it goes that way.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

XBenedict posted:

The Crumpet the Elf story is now an Annual Holiday tradition for me.

Absolutely. It was always a treat when I'd happen to catch it on NPR during their annual replay, but now I just dial it up on YouTube

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Lordshmee posted:

And what do you think about it? The ideas hinted at in the blurb can be taken to extremes with little effort. I am instantly leery of the Noble Savage take on our glorious past. Personally I do agree with the idea that as a species we are WAY out on the evolutionary ledge in terms of our ability to handle our own successes, but romanticizing a usually fictitious past is a dangerous fantasy.

I’m not necessarily trying to bash this book unread - just looking to see whether or not it goes that way.

It has plenty of empirical data and does a good job of challenging outdated historical notions, so far.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

XBenedict posted:

Anything and Everything by David Sedaris. Seriously...all of it.

Eat This Glob posted:

I listened to John Hodgman's "Vacationland" over a portion of a long roadtrip and it made those 6 hours quite bearable. He also just released "Medallion Status," which I also enjoyed. That ticks three of the four boxes lol

Thanks, I'll check those out!

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Any must haves from the Black Friday sale? I am thinking about

True Grit $5
By: Charles Portis
Narrated by: Donna Tartt

No Country for Old Men $5
By: Cormac McCarthy
Narrated by: Tom Stechschulte

The Road $7

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Does anyone know if there's an Amadis of Gaul audiobook that's worth a drat? I've been looking all over and all I can find are youtube uploads for which the audio quality and narration is, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_kzcWYBVmU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtowjlQnfTE

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

loudog999 posted:

Any must haves from the Black Friday sale? I am thinking about

True Grit $5
By: Charles Portis
Narrated by: Donna Tartt

No Country for Old Men $5

The Road $7

I've listened to both no country and the road. The same narrator did both (as you noted), and he has McCarthy's prose down pat IMO. I'd be happy spending $12 for both of them rather than using a pair of credits for 13ish hours of content. Between the two, I'd go with "no country," if you were picking just one, but both are excellent, brutal reads.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Get both, without question.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Just finished The Conspiracy Against the Human Race by Thomas Ligotti. I liked it but it could be REALLY heavy to someone who hasn’t already done a great deal of thinking about its thesis. I recommend it but only if you’re currently well nailed down psychologically. The narrator was particularly good.

E: would love more recommendations on a similar theme if anyone knows any. I’d imagine this topic is not well represented in popular audiobooks for obvious reasons.

Lordshmee fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 15, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Lordshmee posted:

Just finished The Conspiracy Against the Human Race by Thomas Ligotti. I liked it but it could be REALLY heavy to someone who hasn’t already done a great deal of thinking about its thesis. I recommend it but only if you’re currently well nailed down psychologically. The narrator was particularly good.

E: would love more recommendations on a similar theme if anyone knows any. I’d imagine this topic is not well represented in popular audiobooks for obvious reasons.

I'm going to get this because I love "The Better Angels of Our Nature"; not sure if you'd think they're as similar as I do, but the two of them together remind me of William Blake's paired poems.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Lordshmee posted:

I recommend it but only if you’re currently well nailed down psychologically.

Imagine this stipulation on these gay, dead forums.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm going to get this because I love "The Better Angels of Our Nature"; not sure if you'd think they're as similar as I do, but the two of them together remind me of William Blake's paired poems.

You don’t mean the Steven Pinker book do you? Because I don’t think that book has anything remotely to do with the one I mentioned. I tried googling an alternative and came up empty.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Lordshmee posted:

You don’t mean the Steven Pinker book do you? Because I don’t think that book has anything remotely to do with the one I mentioned. I tried googling an alternative and came up empty.

No, that's the one, and I meant it as a contrasting work on a similar topic, and I could be completely wrong about that.

Please don't take this in a negative way, it's just that I'm at work right now and can't type out a longer, more detailed response, but I looked at your book in audible and it seemed something like "an examination of why people do bad things", which I thought contrasted with Better Angel's gist of "why people are increasingly less bad".

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Jack B Nimble posted:

No, that's the one, and I meant it as a contrasting work on a similar topic, and I could be completely wrong about that.

Please don't take this in a negative way, it's just that I'm at work right now and can't type out a longer, more detailed response, but I looked at your book in audible and it seemed something like "an examination of why people do bad things", which I thought contrasted with Better Angel's gist of "why people are increasingly less bad".

No worries. I took no intention from your post. However, your assessment of The Conspiracy Against the Human Race is not anything like what it’s about. The basic premise of the book is that consciousness is a terrible evolutionary mistake that renders human life a horror. I guess there is a small and obscure genre around the idea, generally called Pessimism, but it’s a relatively new idea to me.

So, nothing at all like Pinker’s book, heh.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Lordshmee posted:

The basic premise of the book is that consciousness is a terrible evolutionary mistake that renders human life a horror.

:stare: Oh good, a book that will give voice to deeply unsettling suspicions I try to avoid. Yep, I'll get on that as soon as Wolf Hall is done.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Audible's "Holiday Relief" 2-for-1 sale this week includes outright white supremacist recruitment literature. Anyone know if there's a way to report that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Audible's "Holiday Relief" 2-for-1 sale this week includes outright white supremacist recruitment literature. Anyone know if there's a way to report that?

That is probably working As Intended for Amazon.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

So, I just had to drive ~3200 miles from Maine to Los Angeles, which is ~52 solid hours of on-road driving (traffic, gas/food/restroom/let-my-cat-out-on-leash stops not included) and I did it all by myself. Well, I mean, my cat was there too. And you know, I was actually REALLY looking forward to the drive in part, just because, like, I love listening to audiobooks and driving long distances - I always find it to be a distinct pleasure, if I'm being really honest.

The other thing was that I had just started the Dune series a week or two ago, and had finished the first two books in the serious - Dune and Dune Messiah - and I was really blown away and TOTALLY immersed and drawn in by the setting, characters, tone, even the performances were fantastic on the audiobook. So on this trip, I plowed through Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune - which really worked well, even with the 3500 years between the two books! It was really perfect for this trip, because what I wanted was something truly immersive and intriguing on the sci-fi level, and this more than fit that bill.

I would sometimes get sick of Dune on a trip like this, though. The other thing I listened to was William Peter Blatty reading his own original novel The Exorcist, and I was really impressed with that. I'm a big fan of the original and the Legion/Exorcist 3, and as a book the original Exorcist reminded me more of Legion, but I guess that makes sense. Blatty did a fantastic reading of his own book, though. He does a very good demonic voice.

Oh, the only sad thing about the Dune audiobooks is that the first one is like, REALLY great and a number of dialogue scenes are performed with specific actors voicing major characters like Paul, Duke Leto, Jessica, Baron Harkonnen, etcIt's a bit disappointing that all successive books are more or less narrated by Scott Brick on his own, but he is still very good and consistent in his performances so I didn't mind. I heard a bit of how George Guidall handled the voices in his original version, though, and it made me realize Scott Brick basically followed his lead on the vocal characterizations quite a bit. Not that this was a bad thing!

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Hey, what are everyone's favourite cast recording books? I'm on them after listening to Murder on the Orient Express (Audible recording- absolutely fantastic, reccomend it), WWZ (works perfectly for the format) and some of the Audible Alien books (nice casual stuff, Out of the Shadows seems the best one so far).

I picked up American Gods which is apparently pretty good, and Dune which has some cast.

Obviously there's the old BBC radio dramas, though I've only listened to Hitchhiker's (obviously great).

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I thought the Audible production of Dracula was good. Alan Cumming plays Seward and Tim Curry plays Van Helsing. Since it's an epistolary novel you have stuff like Seward's chapters being journal entries he recorded on a dictaphone so the format works nicely.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 30, 2019

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I thought the Audible production of Dracula was good. Alan Cumming plays Seward and Tim Curry plays Van Helsing. Since it's an epistolary novel you have stuff like Seward's chapters being journal entries he recorded on a dictaphone so the format works nicely.

Was about to post this!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Audible's Dracula is fantastic.

Ender's Game is a majority-solo narration like Dune, and it works quite well.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I hope they rerecord Dune before/during/after the movie comes out.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Why was The Martian rerecorded by Wil Wheaton? Why was the RC Bray version memory holed? Who asked for this?

https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Martian-Audiobook/B082BHJMFF?qid=1577888090

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kraps posted:

Why was The Martian rerecorded by Wil Wheaton? Why was the RC Bray version memory holed? Who asked for this?

https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Martian-Audiobook/B082BHJMFF?qid=1577888090
That's bizarre. Maybe if it's their own version audible gets a bigger cut this way? Maybe they think that more people will buy it if it's Wil Wheaton (a scary thought)?

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 1, 2020

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
R C Bray is the one true one true Mark Watney. Even over Matt Damon too

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Wil Wheaton sells for things aimed at "NERD(TM) CULTURE" in the mind of the suits who have no idea what that is besides knowing it has a ton of disposable income and the brand "Big Bang Theory."

Not to discredit him though, he does a great job playing snide know-it-all rear end in a top hat characters, especially in the first person. Of course... that's pretty much all that he is good at.

Great for the Martian-- if it already didn't have a perfect read from the narrator before.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Someone answered on twitter https://twitter.com/rialtus/status/1212447815013584896

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Good grief, what could R C Bray have been asking and Audible offering that they couldn't agree on, when they dropped the Wes Crusher cash later?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe Wheaton does it for free.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Heners_UK posted:

Good grief, what could R C Bray have been asking and Audible offering that they couldn't agree on, when they dropped the Wes Crusher cash later?

Reminder that Amazon is very much in the habit of undercutting the competition.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Heners_UK posted:

The success of the audiobook, due in large part to his narration, made him feel that he could ask for more money. Audible didn't agree.

https://www.facebook.com/1101118303234671/posts/3039072632772552/

quote:

Hey Folks!

Happy New Year! I wish you all a safe, happy, healthy and prosperous 2020!!

Now, here's my one time talking about what happened. I put it that way not to be an rear end, but because if I don't I'm going to be asked over and over again what happened and I just don't want to have to keep doing it. Makes sense, right?

So here goes...

Audio rights, unless otherwise specified, usually last for 7 years. When 7 years is up, the audio rights owner has the opportunity to re-up another 7 or make other plans. That's what happened here. Podium Publishing's 7 years were up, Audible wanted the rights, so they bought them from Podium. What Audible didn't get were the rights to the audio I recorded for Podium. Audible approached me to rerecord the book. Because of the impact my performance had on the success of the audiobook, I have no problem telling you it came down to money. Audible was very gracious to ask me to record it again, but not only was I ready and OK for my association with The Martian to come to a close, we just couldn't come to terms on a number. So Audible went another direction. I didn't know who the new narrator was until this morning, same time you all did; I suggested Matt Damon. Seemed like a natural choice. But they chose Wil. Love Wil! I wish him the best with it.

How do I feel about it? 's all good, man (Saul Goodman).

The Martian was and always will be a part of me personally and professionally. I'm thrilled that so many people were able to hear my performance of it these past 7 years. I'm also very happy those of you who bought it will always have it (in case you were wondering if the new version will replace the original one in your library) in case you ever want to give it another listen some time down the road.

Besides, I'm still a badass beer can. LOL!

Thanks for giving this a read. Looking forward to a 2020 full of outstanding books for you to listen to. Hope you enjoy them as much as I'm sure I'll have recording them.

All the best!

~Bob

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Capitalism is fuckin stupid

At least I will have the correct version in my library. Wheaton is great with books like The Interdependency but no way could he do better with The Martian.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Been collecting a bunch of books by an author called Annette Marie, narrated by Cris Dukehart. Female main characters, shared universe, modern fantasy setting, not overly dark or serious. Takes place in British Columbia, in Victoria, I think? Not sure; doesn't come up very often.

First series is five books about a muggle bartender in a magic guild. The second series of two books is about a demon contractor. They're in the first person. Not sure what I like so much about them, but I'm enjoying following them.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Any recommendations for audio dramas? I checked out Alien: Out of the Shadows and it's surprisingly decent, great for listening in the car. I usually drive in ~20 minute bursts, so it's hard for me to keep track of traditional novels, but this is more like a long movie. I'm interested in SF/F and horror but any suggestions are welcome.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lester Shy posted:

Any recommendations for audio dramas? I checked out Alien: Out of the Shadows and it's surprisingly decent, great for listening in the car. I usually drive in ~20 minute bursts, so it's hard for me to keep track of traditional novels, but this is more like a long movie. I'm interested in SF/F and horror but any suggestions are welcome.

Do you follow this thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826110&pagenumber=46&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

A bunch of Star Trek TNG alumni did the War of the Worlds radio broadcast. I thought it was alright.
And I bought Ender's Game: Alive, but I've yet to listen to it.