Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
The Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in honor of Vladimir Ilyich Lenin wasn't plopped down in a swamp next to a large fuckoff river for the nice view, what are you guys talking about :confused:

Of course you need a plentiful, reliable and as cool as possible water source for a NPP.
There are ways to get around just diverting river water over your closed loop and calling it a day, the problem is as always cost. More/larger condensation towers, a secondary semi-closed cooling loop, canals and whathaveyou. They're building a plant in the Emirates somewhere iirc where the intake water is 35°C+ on a regular basis, maybe look it up and see what they have to do to compensate for that.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

sauer kraut posted:

The Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in honor of Vladimir Ilyich Lenin wasn't plopped down in a swamp next to a large fuckoff river for the nice view, what are you guys talking about :confused:

They got some very big catfish now

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

sauer kraut posted:

They're building a plant in the Emirates somewhere iirc where the intake water is 35°C+ on a regular basis, maybe look it up and see what they have to do to compensate for that.

The problem isn't that you can't use water like that to cool a nuclear reactor, the problem is that if you add in the heat of a reactor to an already hot river you'll kill everything in it. Hence why the French shut down a couple of their reactors last summer. Of course, if we don't switch to nuclear everything in those rivers is gonna die anyway but since that's a decade or three down the line everybody can pretend it'll never happen and simply build out natgas or whatever today. It's the ~environmentally friendly~ thing, since the alternative is dead rivers after all. After the river dies 'naturally' then nuclear can be renewed as a thing since there won't be any damage left to do to it.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Hexigrammus posted:

Kill them all, let the Blue Mighty Eternal Heaven sort them out.

The Mongols' leave-no-enemies-behind-you policy depopulated a wide band across Eurasia and their repeated invasions allowed farmland to regrow as forest. The CO2 decrease is visible in ice cores and other reconstructions.

Therefore it is my incontrovertible conclusion that Gengis Khan was a pioneer of fighting climate change through arboreal carbon sequestration and therefore cool and good and I really don't like where this line of thought is leading.

The Guardian beat you to it, because of course they did

'genghis khan killed a lot of indigenous peoples, but he also helped create ecofascism, so, it;s impossible to say if he's bad or not'

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Complications posted:

After the river dies 'naturally' then nuclear can be renewed as a thing since there won't be any damage left to do to it.

Ah but then the nuclear plant would impede "restoration efforts" and also spew dangerous nucular chemicals that give little Timmy autism.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Complications posted:

The problem isn't that you can't use water like that to cool a nuclear reactor, the problem is that if you add in the heat of a reactor to an already hot river you'll kill everything in it. Hence why the French shut down a couple of their reactors last summer. Of course, if we don't switch to nuclear everything in those rivers is gonna die anyway but since that's a decade or three down the line everybody can pretend it'll never happen and simply build out natgas or whatever today. It's the ~environmentally friendly~ thing, since the alternative is dead rivers after all. After the river dies 'naturally' then nuclear can be renewed as a thing since there won't be any damage left to do to it.

Yeah there are regulatory limits to the temp of the outflow water, usually 28-30C depending on the country iirc.
The problem is not unique to NPPs, fossil and solar thermal plants suffer from the same issue (maybe 20-30% less severe depending on efficiency) unless they had the foresight to invest in better cooling from the get go.
You'll see it on your electricity bill soon enough when throttling of power plants becomes a more common occurrence and they're forced to upgrade.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 28, 2019

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Venomous posted:

The Guardian beat you to it, because of course they did

'genghis khan killed a lot of indigenous peoples, but he also helped create ecofascism, so, it;s impossible to say if he's bad or not'

:stare:

I will never be rich because I don't get why people like to buy the crap they do and I will never be a professional writer because I can't grasp the idea that somewhere there's someone willing to pay money for my shitposting.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Depending on the design, they still source their cooling water externally.

There's technically 2 loops: reactor and turbine, and then an open cooling water sourced from a pond or natural water for steam generation.

The water in the both reactor loop and the turbine loop are going to be distilled and chemically treated. One isn't directly using pond/natural water for steam generation either. Only the cooling water for the condenser is going be untreated from river / pond / ocean.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Nuclear power consists of some really hot rocks and it's absurd that we spend billions to develop a better way of holding them when oven mitts and barbecue tongs already exist.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

Nuclear power consists of some really hot rocks and it's absurd that we spend billions to develop a better way of holding them when oven mitts and barbecue tongs already exist.

Looks like we found a volunteer rockholder

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

sauer kraut posted:

The problem is not unique to NPPs, fossil and solar thermal plants suffer from the same issue (maybe 20-30% less severe depending on efficiency) unless they had the foresight to invest in better cooling from the get go.

Yep any steam cycle has this problem, about 2/3 of the heat generated by whatever source leaves in the cooling medium.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The water in the both reactor loop and the turbine loop are going to be distilled and chemically treated. One isn't directly using pond/natural water for steam generation either. Only the cooling water for the condenser is going be untreated from river / pond / ocean.

I'm well aware. The reactor loop water is deionized and borated in most American BWR/PWRs.
Both the Turbine and Reactor loops are closed loops. That's exactly what I said, re-read my post.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
At least one modifying clause is inappropriately placed.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Qatar Airways doing their part to ensure everyone knows what it's like to live in Qatar: https://onemileatatime.com/qatar-airways-787-victorville/

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Hexigrammus posted:

The Mongols' leave-no-enemies-behind-you policy depopulated a wide band across Eurasia and their repeated invasions allowed farmland to regrow as forest. The CO2 decrease is visible in ice cores and other reconstructions.
i told you. my divine mission just wasn't what i thought it was

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

fauna posted:

i told you. my divine mission just wasn't what i thought it was

For what it's worth I thought you were really great in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
our burning country goes from bad to worse.

https://twitter.com/k_morrissey/status/1211104612133953536

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
two of the main threads I have bookmarked are this one and Auspol and I keep not being able to tell the difference between them

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

bobvonunheil posted:

two of the main threads I have bookmarked are this one and Auspol and I keep not being able to tell the difference between them

there's still hope in the Auspol thread.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Yeast posted:

there's still hope in the Auspol thread.

you must be reading a different thread to me

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

bobvonunheil posted:

you must be reading a different thread to me

ok, admittedly we've replaced hope with Whiskey, I can't argue that.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
What ever happened to the person who used to post like the ice totals monthly? Or was that a different climate science thread?

https://twitter.com/Ad_Inifinitum/status/1210652504968585217?s=20

I don't really know how people in the comments can watch this and be like "this is fine" for real.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Australia, you've got to be kidding me.

Some Death Cultist posted:

The City of Sydney has maintained the fireworks will go ahead, regardless of conditions.

“Cancelling the event would seriously hurt Sydney businesses. It would also ruin plans for tens of thousands of people from across the country and overseas who would have booked flights, hotel and restaurants for New Year’s Eve.”

ScoMo has weighed in on the side of continuing with the Sydney New Years fireworks. I can only conclude that your leadership hates you and wants you all to die in a fire.

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
No need for a fireworks show. Australia itself is already the world's largest Roman candle.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

silicone thrills posted:

What ever happened to the person who used to post like the ice totals monthly? Or was that a different climate science thread?

https://twitter.com/Ad_Inifinitum/status/1210652504968585217?s=20

I don't really know how people in the comments can watch this and be like "this is fine" for real.

Interestingly extent grew by zero yesterday though right now the real story is how much and how fast Antarctica is melting.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

silicone thrills posted:

What ever happened to the person who used to post like the ice totals monthly?

It got less exciting, I suspect:

Still terrible, though. Lots more here.

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of. What's your favorite sites for keeping track of the unfolding climate disaster?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

BrokenGameboy posted:

Speaking of. What's your favorite sites for keeping track of the unfolding climate disaster?

My favorite is Environment 360. It's very serious and really quite good.

A couple good articles:
Also, twitter has many climate-focused scientists and journalists. @Zlabe's my #1.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

BrokenGameboy posted:

While the Arctic Sea Ice forums are primarily known for general arctic circle monitoring, the rest of the subforums are almost all devoted to various aspects of the climate disaster.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Hexigrammus posted:

Australia, you've got to be kidding me.

ScoMo has weighed in on the side of continuing with the Sydney New Years fireworks. I can only conclude that your leadership hates you and wants you all to die in a fire.

This is good, it means there's still hope for Sydney itself to be consumed by an intense urban wildfire and destabilize the continent.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/CharEKing/status/1211464627793489920

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
https://twitter.com/tomlowrey/status/1211494876610613253

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

shits hosed

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Silver lining: tourists are becoming more comfortable with virtual tourism

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Given the huge amount of emissions from vehicles etc, how much of an impact would putting the whole power grid on nuclear have on overall emissions? Would it be enough?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

baw posted:

Given the huge amount of emissions from vehicles etc, how much of an impact would putting the whole power grid on nuclear have on overall emissions? Would it be enough?

A huge impact.

No, it wouldn't be enough; we need to shrink.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

A huge impact.

No, it wouldn't be enough; we need to shrink.

Are you calling me fat?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

baw posted:

Kind of depends on what you mean by "enough." If we could immediately decarbonize the entire grid, that would be enough to keep us on track if we could then also decarbonize transportation and manufacturing by 2040 or so. It's not nearly enough by itself, no.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Oh poo poo, here we go.

There's a small group of forest fire researchers who are becoming expert on pyrocumulonimbus formations. I suspect most of them are now in eastern Australia oscillating between :fap: and :stonk: as they were when things started to get really interesting with the Fort Mac fires in Alberta a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
people already answered but I like to use graphs/pictures whenever I can

the red part is coal and natural gas powering electric grids (mostly)

here's another good one

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 30, 2019