Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Oath Completed!

The Panserbjorn, men of the north stop their mighty 'steeds'.

A trio of Owlbears awakened to defend their forest habitat, and looking none too pleased about it! Lots of heavy fur and feathers for the challenge here!

Bonus picture of them alongside my previously painted Owlbears from earlier seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

LazyAngel posted:

I, LazyAngel, Oath for December... a tree!

TBH, it's a base for a GW Phoenix that I've gone *way* overboard on, but it's still mostly a tree.

Approved!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ijyt posted:

Sorry all for the late judging, I’ll be getting it done this weekend!

Wow I'm a massive liar! With all apologies, please find below the latest judging any iteration of this thread has likely ever had.

August Judgement

3rd Place (1 Point): LazyAngel

Fantastically savage, the contrast you've got on these really helps the various details pop without overwhelming - the splash of turqoise blue on the leader works brilliantly with the overall scheme.

2nd Place (2 Points): Duct Tape

When all in a group like this, the black and gold scheme really comes into its own, and it's made me rethink how I want to paint my own custodes.

1st Place (3 Points): Galaspar

What a great kitbash and conversion this is, I especially like the (greenstuff?) stretched face on the poleaxe. Gruesome and a great example of the months challenge.

Bonus Point: Galaspar

The gross decomposing warband won me over completely.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

September Judgement

3rd Place (1 Point): Ashcans

The design of the freehand work really throws me back to the 3rd edition artwork that got me into the hobby in the first place, especially nice work on the fire.

2nd Place (2 Points): KingMob

A lot of care and attention has been put into the faces here, which really helps a model stand out.

1st Place (3 Points): Brock Samsonite

Holy poo poo. I've really enjoyed seeing your models over the season, and this one works brilliantly. The clean and well planned paintjob is good enough, and then you throuigh in that freehand work (on an uneven surface to boot).

Bonus Point: Zark the Damned

An abundance of yellow and then some very neatly done freehand definitely deserves the bonus point, in addition to everything else painted up.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

October Judgement

3rd Place (1 Point): KingMob

These models are great and the paint job better! The augmented kick boxer is especially well done.

2nd Place (2 Points): Zark the Damned

A great little group, and more thatn I could paint in a single month. The hazard stripes are super neat and I like the added freehand on the banner.

1st Place (3 Points): LazyAngel

I really like the scheme used here - green is used so often for wood elves that the turquoise is a really nice breath of fresh air. Your colour palettes are always on point.

Bonus Point: Galaspar

Sticking to the theme, and it's a primaris getting beatdown so definitely a bonus point for that. I really like the bone look for the blight drones carapace.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

OATH COMPLETE!

December - Through thick and thin
Thick: Got lots of fur trim and hair on the group.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

OATH COMPLETE!

Claiming Through Thick and Thin for the fur texture.

This was a fun mini even though it involved a lot of struggling with the soft Bones sculpt and mushy detail. Even drybrushing the fur was a pain in the rear end because the detail was so shallow that it just filled everything in. Tried to compensate by pushing painted textures and volumes wherever I could. Definitely a learning experience!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

OATH COMPLETE!

Claiming Through Thick and Thin for the fur texture.

This was a fun mini even though it involved a lot of struggling with the soft Bones sculpt and mushy detail. Even drybrushing the fur was a pain in the rear end because the detail was so shallow that it just filled everything in. Tried to compensate by pushing painted textures and volumes wherever I could. Definitely a learning experience!

Something about this just makes me happy.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Ugleb posted:

Something about this just makes me happy.

Thanks! I wanted to see if I could keep a winter-y feel while using as many warm tones as possible to go for a kind of cozy feeling, so hopefully that came through a bit.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Oath Complete

My promise for the new year is getting a decent photo setup because winging it in my kitchen with my phone is not a good trend.

I was looking up pictures for inspiration before painting my griffin and thought that a red-shouldered hawk looked awesome. I forgot that I would have to actually paint the super cool wing patterning onto my miniature, so spent a ton of time trying to get the striping/dappling on before giving up at the current incarnation. My wife is on orders to throw this at me the next time I think that stripes/spots/dapples is a good paint idea (excluding Harlequins, where it is required)

Claiming the monthly as this guy has both fur and feathers!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
:siren: November Judgements! :siren:

Third Place, 1 point:  Galaspar

Tough & gritty, yet gaudy enough to obviously fit the 40K universe.  The color scheme on the tabards really works against the drabness of their weapons and gear.  (Also, nice inclusion of decades-old murder mystery graffiti on the barricades.)

Second Place, 2 points:  Brock Samsonite

This figure just screams "no nonsense," and the slightly grimy color scheme really sells it.  Excellent skin tone and shading on the muscles.  (Were you going for a 90's Lara Croft universe crossover on this one?  It's been a long couple of months.)

First Place, 3 points:  Duct Tape

Very subtle shading as usual, on a color scheme with a good deal more "pop" than your Martians.  The contrast between the bright orange and the teal/lavender is very eye-catching and cool.  I like the nods to the Rebel flight suits as well; they're strangely fitting in a universe where everyone is the bad guy.

Bonus Point:  gameraMan

I'm a sucker for well-done miniature props, and these are nicely detailed and really crisp.  I like what you've done with the transparent castings.

Happy New Year, Oath Thread! May your paint jobs only improve more in 2020.  :toot:

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Oath Complete!

Went for a fast and loose approach, playing with brown and purple undershading, then heavy washes and drybrushing to finish it off. Now just to finish the thing the base is intended for...

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
gameraMan Oath Complete!

One chilly Frost Giant to bring in the new year!

Claiming Through thick and thin for his heavy fur cloak

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Oath Complete!

Squeezing it in at the last minute. Thought I'd have way more free time this month than I did.

https://imgur.com/jn3FUvi

https://imgur.com/OmLD0zl

Claiming Through Thick and Thin for the Oznat's hair.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm way too busy, so presented almost without comments.

:kingsley:November judgement!:kingsley:

Third place, 1 point: Zark the Damned

Second place, 2 points: LazyAngel

First place, 3 points: Duct Tape

Bonus, 1 point: Galaspar

Who DID put Bella in the slime hole?

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete

Fur for the challenge

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OK folks, December (and indeed 2019) is over! Happy New Year all! Onward to 2020...

quote:

January - First, draw a circle
Take at least three work in progress pictures of your Oath (or part of it). If you want to include more that's fine, but you should put them in a gallery somewhere to not clutter up your completion post.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I, KingMob, Oath for Jan 2020:

Killmonger and Black Panther from AMG

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

I, Cat Face Joe, oath the following for January:
Hexa Spitfire, 28mm, Corvus Belli

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I, Grizzled Patriarch, hereby oath the following for the month of January:

1x Chaos Beastman Champion by Citadel Miniatures.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 2, 2020

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
:catdrugs: November Judgement :catdrugs:

3rd Place (1pts): LazyAngel

Not only does the model look great, but the base for it make it look like it plucked right off the battlefield.

2nd Place (2pts): Ashcans

Something about those teeth and eyes just drew my attention and sucked me right in. All the highlighting make this model just fantastic and I really love how it turned out!

1st Place (3pts): Brock Samsonite

The attention to detail on this is crazy. Everything from the subtle shadows on the skin down to the mismatched socks, it really makes the model come alive.

Bonus (1pts): Galaspar

These models have just about every color under the sun on them: blues, orange, yellow, green brown, purple, green. Absolutely chaotic, but they all work together to create a fantastic looking set of minis.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Oath Complete!

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan, oath 2 townspeople for January!

Both WizKids.

Will include the progress pics for the monthly challenge.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Duct Tape posted:

2nd Place (2pts): Ashcans
Something about those teeth and eyes just drew my attention and sucked me right in. All the highlighting make this model just fantastic and I really love how it turned out!
Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!

KingMob posted:

Oath Complete!

Gosh, these are amazingly clean and well done, I love them.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Oath Complete!

Claiming January - First, draw a circle. Pictures in the album below:
https://imgur.com/a/vvjn4sY

Claiming A Recipe for Success:
Coat: basecoat in Reaper Dragon Red, highlight with Vallejo Flat Red. Reaper Sorcerous Mist, wash twice with GW Druchi Violet.
Armor: basecoat in Vallejo Sky Gray and German Gray. Wash with GW Nuln Oil.
Gun: basecoat in Vallejo German Gray, highlight with Vallejo Sky Gray. Reaper Candle Yellow, wash with GM Casandora Yellow.
Backpack: basecoat in Vallejo German Gray, highlight with Vallejo Sky Gray
Eyes: Vallejo Blue Fluo, highlight with Vallejo Sky Blue.
Base: Vallejo Black, Vallejo SKy Blue.
Varnish entirely with Vallejo Matte Varnish.

Cat Face Joe fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 6, 2020

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Duct Tape posted:

:catdrugs: November Judgement :catdrugs:

3rd Place (1pts): LazyAngel

Not only does the model look great, but the base for it make it look like it plucked right off the battlefield.

Thanks! Wish I could have got the lightbox picture up in time...

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Ashcans posted:

Gosh, these are amazingly clean and well done, I love them.

Thanks! The MCP models are a joy to paint.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I, Zark the Damned, oath the following for January 2020:

Elementalist and bodyguard from Hasslefree, 28mm
8 lost treasures from Crooked Dice, 28mm

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

I, LazyAngel, Oath for January , a Nomad Prince, from GW

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
For January I, Galaspar, oath three very old mercenaries by GW

If all goes well, I'll also be entering these guys into a contest called Naismithery in the Oldhammer community, as each one was sculpted by Bob Naismith.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath this Reaper Berserker Dwarf Jester for January

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I, with a rebel yell she QQd, Oath to paint the following Blood Bowl Vampire Team (GW) for January!
Also going for Rescue Ranger with this, as they have been in this state for the past 2-3 years.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath for January a Skorpius Disintegrator from GW and five miniatures from HeroForge. Sorry for the crap picture quality. I took the picture and started painting, only realizing the photo was garbage when I got back to my computer.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Yeah 2020 let's do this!

I, Brock Samsonite, Oath a Ratcatchers Team from Steamforged Games Guildball

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I, Icon of Sin, oath to paint this Director Krennic mini from Star Wars: Legion (FFG).

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Oath Complete!

An ice mage and her sister acting as bodyguard.

WIP to show progression. First blocking out the colours, then highlighting and adding glossy metallic over the top part of the dress. Then shading via washes, and finally re-highlighting, smoothing out the dress and adding details.

And as if it wasn't obvious enough, here's the inspiration, claiming A Faithful Replica

A collection of strange treasures found in museums and jungle ruins. Claiming Get the Crystal as they'll most likely be used as treasure markers in Ghost Archipelago.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

I, Icon of Sin, oath to paint this Director Krennic mini from Star Wars: Legion (FFG).

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath for January a Skorpius Disintegrator from GW and five miniatures from HeroForge. Sorry for the crap picture quality. I took the picture and started painting, only realizing the photo was garbage when I got back to my computer.

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I, with a rebel yell she QQd, Oath to paint the following Blood Bowl Vampire Team (GW) for January!
Also going for Rescue Ranger with this, as they have been in this state for the past 2-3 years.

Ashcans posted:

I, Ashcans, oath this Reaper Berserker Dwarf Jester for January

Galaspar posted:

For January I, Galaspar, oath three very old mercenaries by GW

If all goes well, I'll also be entering these guys into a contest called Naismithery in the Oldhammer community, as each one was sculpted by Bob Naismith.

LazyAngel posted:

I, LazyAngel, Oath for January , a Nomad Prince, from GW

Zark the Damned posted:

I, Zark the Damned, oath the following for January 2020:

Elementalist and bodyguard from Hasslefree, 28mm
8 lost treasures from Crooked Dice, 28mm

gameraMan posted:

I, gameraMan, oath 2 townspeople for January!

Both WizKids.

Will include the progress pics for the monthly challenge.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I, Grizzled Patriarch, hereby oath the following for the month of January:

1x Chaos Beastman Champion by Citadel Miniatures.

KingMob posted:

I, KingMob, Oath for Jan 2020:

Killmonger and Black Panther from AMG

Cat Face Joe posted:

I, Cat Face Joe, oath the following for January:
Hexa Spitfire, 28mm, Corvus Belli

Approved!

Brock Samsonite posted:

Yeah 2020 let's do this!

I, Brock Samsonite, Oath a Ratcatchers Team from Steamforged Games Guildball

Sadly I cannot accept this due to the lack of Amercian Samoa timestamp.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

December's Gallery is up! https://imgur.com/a/pk5jQnx

Go check your stuff is there, next weekend it's off for judgement!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Oath Complete!

Claiming First, Draw a Circle for the following WIP shots:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Oath Addition!

Adding five Arkanaut Company, from AoS, which have been gathering dust for over a year now.