Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Kids On The Slope was such a good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

net work error posted:

:hmmyes: Intersecting a kid's brain expanding as he finds the form of music that really gets his fire going with the leftist student protests of the 60s that Watanabe was born into was a great combination, mashing up the American art that Japan fell in love with and a teenager expanding his world against the American political influence that stirred up strife in a country still unsure of its identity and a battle between the youthful hope for a world where they, as a country, would be self-reliant and not following the big gorilla in the world for fear of the gorilla turning on them and the elder generation that looked at it as the gorilla now being a "friend" and not to jostle it into turning against them, made for a hell of a show.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

All of Watanabe's anime are "I really like music" anime, they just have a different genre theme. Kids on The Slope has a particular focus on animating the instrumental performance of musicians while C&T has more of a focus on the body language of singers.

Cowboy Bebop: the jazz anime
Samurai Champloo: the hip hop anime
Kids on the Slope: the jazz anime, but this time it's ABOUT jazz
Space Dandy: the disco/dance anime
Terror in Resonance: the post-rock anime
C&T: the pop music anime

This is a good summing up of his work. I think your two posts have sold me on checking it out.

Also, holy crap, has he not directed a show since Terror? drat, that seems like a shame, unless most of his five years since then has been just concentrating on this.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

parasites popularity among the pseudo intellectual liberal class which includes most film critics is largely a function of it being a korean movie most of these people have convinced themselves that the class critique in parasite can only possibly be applied to south korean culture even though they use the same economic system we do and the basic story structure could be easily adapted the specific cultural references are about the only thing youd really need to change

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i should probably add that while i liked parasite and am having trouble seeing how anything can credibly challenge it for best picture at this point its not even my favorite korean movie of the year that honor goes to the decidedly less cspammy house of hummingbird which does a much better job of showing a quintessentially south korean social and economic environment but i cant imagine it would have gotten halfway decent distribution even if parasite wasnt hogging all the south korean glory this year

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Space Dandy is the greatest anime about nothing

I like the episode where they dance until the universe collapses, then dance some more

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Dofmau5/status/1211467688813436929?s=19

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

parasites popularity among the pseudo intellectual liberal class which includes most film critics is largely a function of it being a korean movie most of these people have convinced themselves that the class critique in parasite can only possibly be applied to south korean culture even though they use the same economic system we do and the basic story structure could be easily adapted the specific cultural references are about the only thing youd really need to change

lmao even the director said as much when he was surprised how the film Parasite had a similar reaction across different cultures.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Cameo posted:

Also, holy crap, has he not directed a show since Terror? drat, that seems like a shame, unless most of his five years since then has been just concentrating on this.

There was an 8 year gap between Champloo and Kids on the Slope. Anime isn't the kind of industry where you can get consistent director gigs. He's been working on other stuff.

coathat
May 21, 2007

net work error posted:

The manga is much better

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

i taste copper help

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Probably Magic posted:

i taste copper help

white people should have never been allowed to do rock and roll

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

just saw star wars, gosh that was bad

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

itll be so sick when we get to the 2030s and literally literally nobody listens to rock anymore so its like we actually live inside a 1970s scifi prog concept album

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rewatched Empire Strikes Back last night and I'm now half convinced that the actual reason the originals are good is practical effects

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I watched The Equalizer 2 tonight.

It does that thing that Jack Ryan does where it's CIA-paganda, But Woke. Denzel Washington's McCall character goes through a list of 100 great books of all-time, he frees children kidnapped by Turkish gangsters in his spare time, he reunites Holocaust survivors with their siblings, he brutalizes rapists, and so on. The latter two contacts he meets through his Lyft job (such an everyman!), and the first one he got from the bookstore where he buys all his classics from.

And when he goes abroad for such personal projects, he gets his information from Susan, his former colleague/mentor at the CIA, which becomes the focus of the movie after she gets murdered and McCall goes on another crusade for vengeance.

Now, that main plot is pretty okay, as Taken-esque films go: the trailers might have you believe that it's some kind of foreign terrorist plot, but as it turns out, it's a completely domestic affair, with one of McCall's other former CIA buddies having gone mercenary after the agency shut-down their operations, and Susan was just another target taken out for a price.

From a left-wing perspective, the villain isn't even wrong: all he's doing is changing who gets to pick who to shoot, and money's as good an excuse as any, especially when the private sector pays better and the VA won't cover what ails you. McCall gives the slightest standard conservative pushback of appealing to "patriotism", but then just defaults to "you killed my friend, so I'm going to kill you", which is really the only answer you can offer up if you're not going to interrogate the eventual conclusion and contradiction of capitalist ideology.

And if it was just that, the movie would have been... okay I guess, as Taken-esque action flicks go. The real hot take comes in this secondary plot where McCall tries to get his teenaged next door neighbor to Straighten Up And Fly Right. He lectures him on the value of a dollar, literally rescues him from getting caught up with some gang-bangers, and at one point gives him a copy of Ta Nehisi Coates's Between The World And Me (which McCall was himself reading at the beginning of the film). The movie ends with his protege all sweatered up in a private school uniform as he heads off to get a formal art education as the school bus passes a mural of Frederick Douglass.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Rewatched Empire Strikes Back last night and I'm now half convinced that the actual reason the originals are good is practical effects

The practical effects and sound design have also aged well especially when you compare them to the dated visual effect cheesiness of the prequels.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

And if it was just that, the movie would have been... okay I guess, as Taken-esque action flicks go. The real hot take comes in this secondary plot where McCall tries to get his teenaged next door neighbor to Straighten Up And Fly Right. He lectures him on the value of a dollar, literally rescues him from getting caught up with some gang-bangers, and at one point gives him a copy of Ta Nehisi Coates's Between The World And Me (which McCall was himself reading at the beginning of the film). The movie ends with his protege all sweatered up in a private school uniform as he heads off to get a formal art education as the school bus passes a mural of Frederick Douglass.

so don't join a gang, unless it's the CIA, which is the world's biggest gang

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

:barf:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

foobardog posted:

white people should have never been allowed to do rock and roll

The best part is all those songs came out in the past four years, lmao.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

My extremely neolib imagination

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did you guys know that superheros are just modern day mythical figures

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

It is sort of right but it's in no way good or acceptable.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

A franchise where one company that can dictate canon isn't a mythology, it's a property.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Grevling posted:

It is sort of right but it's in no way good or acceptable.

It doesn't even make that much sense because actual mythological characters are used in comics, so they're... what exactly?

Which just hits the problem of, "Do we say that comics are a religion?" In which case, what is canon? How shall we worship? Is it therefore permissible to kill whoever offends the gods by blaspheming their names?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

A franchise where one company that can dictate canon isn't a mythology, it's a property.

ok boomer

coathat
May 21, 2007

Didn't Ken Kesey have that same take a long rear end time ago?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Probably Magic posted:

It doesn't even make that much sense because actual mythological characters are used in comics, so they're... what exactly?

Which just hits the problem of, "Do we say that comics are a religion?" In which case, what is canon? How shall we worship? Is it therefore permissible to kill whoever offends the gods by blaspheming their names?

Ancient Greeks also liked to tell stories and stage plays about their mythological characters with variations on their portrayals, for example the Oedipus Rex myth we know being Sophocles' version with older versions likely having Oedipus just become king and gently caress his mother without being bothered by it. It's not clear to what extent much these stories and plays had "religious" significance, and certainly they didn't in the way we think of religion. I think they're similar, they believed in indifferent gods and capricious forces of nature and we believe in the same just that it's free market forces and the hero figures reflect that. It could never be a perfect analogy of course but it's not completely off.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Except all of those stories and characters were "public domain." Anybody could've done their own take on them so long as they didn't violate the taboos too much.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow, dismissing the inclusive and creative fan communities around super hero (modern day mythical figures) movies and their many valid storytellers

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Of its many crimes I think the most offensive thing postmodernism did was to give several generations of grad students permission to write extended treatises on how their favorite comic book character or pop song was actually a profoundly subversive challenge to capitalist hegemony.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Except all of those stories and characters were "public domain." Anybody could've done their own take on them so long as they didn't violate the taboos too much.

Nothing's stopping anyone today from having their own take either. They won't be asked or allowed to make a big-budget Hollywood movie about them, but neither would any ancient Athenian shmuck get to stage a play at the yearly festival, just for very different reasons.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In fact if you aren't doing a leftist reading of the modern day mythical figures (super heros) you are abandoning the culture to reactionary forces in a counter productive display of elitism.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Helsing posted:

Of its many crimes I think the most offensive thing postmodernism did was to give several generations of grad students permission to write extended treatises on how their favorite comic book character or pop song was actually a profoundly subversive challenge to capitalist hegemony.

Actually think of all the smart and capable people who have been enlightened by 4 hour youtube book reports on how the star wars prequels had themes.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

They weren't loving myths back in Greece/Rome, they were religion.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Helsing posted:

I may have written a paper in college doing a compare/contrast of Falstaff and Iroh from Avatar: The Last Airbender using the double nature of Bacchus as key, so I can't really comment against that.

Far difference between having fun with that and then using that as an excuse to rattle off dates from Harry Potter as if they really happened though. There's a difference between deep analysis and religion, IMO, and with more people having read all seven HP books and none of the Bible, you see more and more this worrying deification of pop culture.

Grevling posted:

Ancient Greeks also liked to tell stories and stage plays about their mythological characters with variations on their portrayals, for example the Oedipus Rex myth we know being Sophocles' version with older versions likely having Oedipus just become king and gently caress his mother without being bothered by it. It's not clear to what extent much these stories and plays had "religious" significance, and certainly they didn't in the way we think of religion. I think they're similar, they believed in indifferent gods and capricious forces of nature and we believe in the same just that it's free market forces and the hero figures reflect that. It could never be a perfect analogy of course but it's not completely off.

Oh yeah, certainly, and Ulysses was either a fun guy or a dick and even worthy of hell depending on the authorial interpretation, but... I dunno. You could ignore various myths if they didn't fit your canon, while nerds increasingly demand stuff like all of Game of Thrones' final season be refilmed or Last Jedi struck from the record, which implies something far less casual in their enjoyment and far more spiritual. This also gets into why people demand moralism from pop culture more often, which rises the even more alarming note that they see all the corporate centerism of modern pop and think... that's good and worthy of emulation.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Grevling posted:

Nothing's stopping anyone today from having their own take either. They won't be asked or allowed to make a big-budget Hollywood movie about them, but neither would any ancient Athenian shmuck get to stage a play at the yearly festival, just for very different reasons.

Except superhero stuff doesn't get impacted by a communal oral tradition in the same way that mythology was. Fanfiction doesn't have cultural penetration.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite part is I don't think it's gonna stop and people will increasingly be demanding that you treat fandom identity like religious identity

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm a star wars sedevacantist

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

My favorite part is I don't think it's gonna stop and people will increasingly be demanding that you treat fandom identity like religious identity

Whether you like TLJ is already decided along political lines despite it just being mediocre neither-here-nor-there Star Wars, we're absolutely already there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

I'm a star wars sedevacantist