Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

zenguitarman posted:

Why does EPS have some free game releases for Windows only even though there's a Mac release too? They had Shadow Tactics up the other day and I was like, oh sweet I've always wanted to give this a shot, but it was Windows only, and a couple days before that I grabbed Into The Breach, which they had for both Windows and Mac.

It's already slim pickins for Mac users, don't tease me like that.

It's because no-one uses a Mac, OP.
:smugmrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Go make music or art or whatever you man Mac people do

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Coolguye posted:

is anyone familiar with this game? it looks pretty sick but i'm kind of preoccupied right now, want to know if i should shuffle something around for it.

It's alright. The exploration elements feel like a 90's dungeon crawler and the combat has a lot in common with the tower defense genre.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They know Mac users have money.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Genpei Turtle posted:

The VR port of Talos is good but it’s also the only VR title I’ve played that consistently makes me want to vomit. If you don’t get motion sickness though it’d be excellent.

Absolutely play Subnautica in VR though. It takes some fiddling to get right as the UI can be a little too close to your face but it’s worth it. After playing through Subnautica in VR I can’t go back to the non-VR version.

The main comment everyone throws out is that it's motion sickness-inducing but not why...Also that they abandoned updating it and that it's missing features the 2d version has at this point. Still on the fence about playing the port over the normal version.

The only thing that gets me sick in VR is smooth turning for some reason. Being able to free spin in place ruins me, whereas I can spin around just as fast with no ill effect with snap turn..no clue why it's not the reverse like I'd expect.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

also why doesn't egs give free games for ouya??

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

zenguitarman posted:

Why does EPS have some free game releases for Windows only even though there's a Mac release too? They had Shadow Tactics up the other day and I was like, oh sweet I've always wanted to give this a shot, but it was Windows only, and a couple days before that I grabbed Into The Breach, which they had for both Windows and Mac.

It's already slim pickins for Mac users, don't tease me like that.

the difference is whether or not the developer has made a mac port natively or if they are using Steam Play to make it happen. shadow tactics does not have a native mac build and only runs on mac because steam's tools make it easy.

Magitek posted:

It's alright. The exploration elements feel like a 90's dungeon crawler and the combat has a lot in common with the tower defense genre.
awesome, will leave for the "is rainy day" pile.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

zer0spunk posted:

The main comment everyone throws out is that it's motion sickness-inducing but not why...Also that they abandoned updating it and that it's missing features the 2d version has at this point. Still on the fence about playing the port over the normal version.

The only thing that gets me sick in VR is smooth turning for some reason. Being able to free spin in place ruins me, whereas I can spin around just as fast with no ill effect with snap turn..no clue why it's not the reverse like I'd expect.

You get loading hitches regardless of your rig because the engine is so lovely. They're small, but over time the framerate fluctuations when you have no other point of references to focus on can cause severe vertigo in a lot of people.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

This is very normal. Smooth turning makes nearly everyone sick because your ears aren't matching the rotation. We're used to snap turning because it basically feels like a saccade.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

If there are any features missing from the VR version I haven’t noticed them—granted I’ve only gotten about 25% of the way through the game though.

The sliding movement in Talos is what kills me. It’s not turning since you have to physically do that yourself. If you use the teleportation option it’s a lot better but the game doesn’t feel as satisfying that way. I don’t know why it’s just Talos that does it because that same motion style in other games, e.g. The Mage’s Tale I’m perfectly fine with.

The one advantage that VR Talos has is that precise placement of objects feels so much more natural than standard. I don’t know if that alone is worth it though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Coolguye posted:

the difference is whether or not the developer has made a mac port natively or if they are using Steam Play to make it happen. shadow tactics does not have a native mac build and only runs on mac because steam's tools make it easy.

Shadow Tactics is on the Mac App Store though, surely that's a native port?

My guess is they might have outsourced the Mac port to another company and there's complications with licensing it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

repiv posted:

Shadow Tactics is on the Mac App Store though, surely that's a native port?

My guess is they might have outsourced the Mac port to another company and there's complications with licensing it.

oh probably then. i came to that conclusion by checking their store page and noting that the steam play emblem was on it, didn't bother to check the mac store.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Could be a 32 bit issue.

MGS claims Shadow Tactics has poor compatibility with recent OS and 32 bit only.

https://www.macgamestore.com/product/6464/Shadow-Tactics-Blades-of-the-Shogun/

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Looks like Darksiders 2 and Steep for tomorrow.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I have Steep through Uplay and I don't even think it's worth bothering with.

Also today is Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair, so the actually good one supposedly.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
wow did not think they’d give away Impossible Lair. Either it bombed or Epic is paying a lot for some of these freebies

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Barry Convex posted:

wow did not think they’d give away Impossible Lair. Either it bombed or Epic is paying a lot for some of these freebies

I'd put money on it bombed given how burned a lot of people were by Yooka Laylee.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://steamcharts.com/app/846870

it bombed pretty hard

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
well, I'll eat my hat

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i played impossible lair and its a pretty solid dkc game. i guess i should say i didnt bother trying to 100% it and just played all the levels once, but it was fun enough for the time i spent with it

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

njsykora posted:

I'd put money on it bombed given how burned a lot of people were by Yooka Laylee.

I liked the first game a lot, riiiiight up until it the first boss fight, where it started to reveal how bad the controls were and how hard the game was tuned. gently caress that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

OgNar posted:

Looks like Darksiders 2 and Steep for tomorrow.

worth noting that these are weekly giveaways, not part of the 12 days event

some people assumed the 12 days would be the last freebies but apparently not

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Barry Convex posted:

There's something deeply ironic about the first Yooka-Laylee game having so many potshots at big evil corporations who buy out their competitors and then them turning around and partnering with Epic to promote their sequel.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
both yooka games are on steam and gog as well tho

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
also epic is not a larger company than valve by any means

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Guy Mann, wrong again

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

repiv posted:

worth noting that these are weekly giveaways, not part of the 12 days event

some people assumed the 12 days would be the last freebies but apparently not

I wouldn't be surprised if the giveaway program continues indefinitely but at a slowed pace; bi-weekly or monthly

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sleeveless posted:

There's something deeply ironic about the first Yooka-Laylee game having so many potshots at big evil corporations who buy out their competitors and then them turning around and partnering with Epic to promote their sequel.

Grabbed by the Sweenies

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

elf help book posted:

I want the 2D Yooka-Laylee for free cuz I wanna try it but also hate the original

I'm enjoying this game

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Magitek posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the giveaway program continues indefinitely but at a slowed pace; bi-weekly or monthly

That was already the old pace

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Now that I’ve got 6 indie treasures on the epic game launcher that I haven’t installed yet, they have defeated Steam via capitalism

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Darksiders 1 & 2 (the remastered versions) and Steep are free on EGS now

We're back to weekly giveaways now, these are available until the 9th

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I hope one day that EGS figures out how to do a shopping cart.

Amazon music had that problem a long time ago, where if I wanted 3 songs from an album I had to make 3 transactions.
My card was always blocking me for sketchy transactions.

Luckily thats not the case here.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Are those Darksiders games DRM-free, or will they require the Epic launcher to be running?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PCGW says they are DRM free

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Darksiders_Warmastered_Edition#Availability
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Darksiders_II:_Deathinitive_Edition#Availability

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
had them both on Steam for a while, but Darksiders I and II for free is a pretty great giveaway.

I prefer the original (it doesn't aspire to be anything more than Zelda with God of War combat, and mostly does a good job of that). the sequel is unnecessarily bloated both in terms of length and extraneous RPG elements, but it's still worth playing if you liked the original

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

EGS updated to show that For The King is the next giveaway so don't buy that in the next week. Never heard of it but the reviews look decent.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 3, 2020

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New batch of Twitch Prime games is up already:

Dandara
Anarcute
Kingdom: New Lands
A Normal Lost Phone
Splasher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

repiv posted:

EGS updated to show that For The King is the next giveaway so don't buy that in the next week. Never heard of it but the reviews look decent.

While i'm sure the gameplay is completely different, For the King looks remarkably like Ylands.