Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Jerry Cotton posted:

Rise of the Triad has better music than Doom or Quake.

In ROTT if you changed the date on your system bios to christmas it would change all the music to "god rest you merry gentlemen" and your character would be wearing a Santa hat on the loading screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Applesnots posted:

In ROTT if you changed the date on your system bios to christmas it would change all the music to "god rest you merry gentlemen" and your character would be wearing a Santa hat on the loading screen.

Or, you know, if you spent your Yule playing Rise of the Triad :mmmhmm:

(I know a lot of other games do stuff with dates but I think the earliest one I remember running into it was D/Generation which, apparently, is available on PS4 nowadays. Not going to ever play it again because it kind of sucks.)

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Jerry Cotton posted:

(I know a lot of other games do stuff with dates but I think the earliest one I remember running into it was D/Generation which, apparently, is available on PS4 nowadays. Not going to ever play it again because it kind of sucks.)

Yeah, but changing the date on my bios made me feel 1337.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Applesnots posted:

Yeah, but changing the date on my bios made me feel 1337.

Oh yeah, typing "date 25.12.2019" and pressing ENTER is very 1337.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh yeah, typing "date 25.12.2019" and pressing ENTER is very 1337.

13 year old me thought so. :(

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Applesnots posted:

13 year old me thought so. :(

Everyone's quest to computer literacy starts somewhere :)

And you probs knew more at the time than your average normie bothers to know now.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's not art til it's about rich white people being sad

let me tell you, Ethnic person who moved to my sleepy small town because by comparison to where you came from it's absolutely ripe with opportunity and you now live in a place where you no longer need to go into debt just to buy groceries, about how growing up in suburban white america and playing in a garage band with my friends gave me the malaise

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

olives black posted:

Everyone's quest to computer literacy starts somewhere :)

And you probs knew more at the time than your average normie bothers to know now.

How does anyone know anything about computre nowadays when they literally don't come with instructions of any sort?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jerry Cotton posted:

How does anyone know anything about computre nowadays when they literally don't come with instructions of any sort?

guessing mostly

sometimes you delete the registry but them's the breaks

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

lol if you ever read instructions for anything. gently caress it up don't do that

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What remains of Edith finch after you get the chain gun. Nothing!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Everybody should have their parents' hand-me-down computer to play with until it breaks, you've got to learn all the harsh lessons on something that doesn't matter.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Everybody should have their parents' hand-me-down computer to play with until it breaks, you've got to learn all the harsh lessons on something that doesn't matter.

My dad bought first an Atari 2600, then a Commodore 64, and then an IBM. They'll never break, sorry.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jerry Cotton posted:

My dad bought first an Atari 2600, then a Commodore 64, and then an IBM. They'll never break, sorry.

That just sounds like quitter talk.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My parents both have old gaming PCs now

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

lol if you ever read instructions for anything. gently caress it up don't do that

The Warcraft 2 instruction manual was really cool though

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Holy poo poo. I was just thinking of this game cause I liked it back in the day, but couldn't remember what it was called. Thanks, forums poster Jerry Cotton!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I wish games would start having manuals again and I don't care if they're only digital. Also, they don't need poo poo like instructions for controls and gameplay, that's what tutorials are for. Instead give me a bunch of fluff and some cool artwork as a nice bonus.
A recent good example would be The Signal from Tölva, a STALKERish FPS where you fart about some mysterious planet hijacking robutts and shooting other 'butts. Very little in the game itself is explained and you don't really need to understand any of it. If you do on the other hand, it comes with a 48 page booklet that explains the whole backstory, has a glossary and a bunch of concept art. It was a cool little discovery.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Lodin posted:

I wish games would start having manuals again

Yeah. I skipped the entire PS3/360 generation of console gaming. I went from PS2 to PS4. I remember buying my first few PS4 games, cracking the case open and being like where's the manual?! :corsair:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

One thing I like is when the case insert is reversible:

sometimes they don't put the name of the game on the spine though, which sucks :(

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Now this is a hot take.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Honestly the free games is what convinced me to finally try the Epic launcher, and you know what? It's clean, simple and doesn't hog weird amounts of resources like Steam does.

They've been giving away 1 game every day for the last few weeks and not gonna lie, it's been an extremely solid selection. Highlights include

-Hello Neighbor
-Talos Principle
-Hyper Light Drifter
-FTL
-Celeste
-Superhot
-Into the Breach
-The Wolf Among Us
-Jotun
-Rayman Legends
-The Messenger
-Nuclear Throne

not to mention they normally also do 1 free game every week, and it's been AAA stuff like Metro 2033 Redux, the Batman Arkham games, Transistor, etc. in the past, along with AA games like Surviving Mars, The Witness, For Honor, etc.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
when the Epic launcher gets an official Ubuntu package I'll give it a shot

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

They've been giving away 1 game every day for the last few weeks and not gonna lie, it's been an extremely solid selection. Highlights include

-Hello Neighbor
-Talos Principle
-Hyper Light Drifter
-FTL
-Celeste
-Superhot
-Into the Breach
-The Wolf Among Us
-Jotun
-Rayman Legends
-The Messenger
-Nuclear Throne
I'm mad that I missed Rayman Legends.

Really, though, same. I'm not happy with Epic but Valve/Steam hasn't been much better, and I really like how straightforward Epic's launcher is.
The store isn't as easy to browse but it seems to have consistently have higher quality games.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Honestly the free games is what convinced me to finally try the Epic launcher, and you know what? It's clean, simple and doesn't hog weird amounts of resources like Steam does.

-Hello Neighbor
-Talos Principle
-Hyper Light Drifter
-FTL
-Celeste
-Superhot
-Into the Breach
-The Wolf Among Us
-Jotun
-Rayman Legends
-The Messenger
-Nuclear Throne

not to mention they normally also do 1 free game every week, and it's been AAA stuff like Metro 2033 Redux, the Batman Arkham games, Transistor, etc. in the past, along with AA games like Surviving Mars, The Witness, For Honor, etc.

Yeah bribes work. I am very resist to change (be it lazy, not wanting yet another account etc.), and rather see a superior product being offered than bribery and kidnapping games. Steam is such a low loving bar to be better then and then they release their store without a loving shopping cart? gently caress that. The attitude of oh we'll get to it, but first let's mention all these sweet exclusives is loving poo poo. I don't like when I see betas with huge stores well before release either, but hey guess what WHO CARE CAPITALISM RULES!

I get it though, free stuff, games you want to play. It's not like you the individual is going to make a difference when the majority of people who play games hate to make anything close to a short term sacrifice for long term gains. Of course that can be applied to other things as well, but I think gamers are super duper bad about it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah bribes work. I am very resist to change (be it lazy, not wanting yet another account etc.), and rather see a superior product being offered than bribery and kidnapping games. Steam is such a low loving bar to be better then and then they release their store without a loving shopping cart? gently caress that. The attitude of oh we'll get to it, but first let's mention all these sweet exclusives is loving poo poo. I don't like when I see betas with huge stores well before release either, but hey guess what WHO CARE CAPITALISM RULES!

I get it though, free stuff, games you want to play. It's not like you the individual is going to make a difference when the majority of people who play games hate to make anything close to a short term sacrifice for long term gains. Of course that can be applied to other things as well, but I think gamers are super duper bad about it.

As I mentioned at the start of my post, I actually like Epic's launcher more than Steam. I'm not one of those weirdos freaking out about having multiple launchers installed, it was mostly because there weren't any Epic-exclusive games that I wanted enough to download the launcher.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Duck and Cover posted:

more competition in storefronts is good you absolute dingus

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I don't understand why games need to be some kind of high/legitimate art form. Games are stupid but fun. Who cares?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

fridge corn posted:

I don't understand why games need to be some kind of high/legitimate art form. Games are stupid but fun. Who cares?

Very insightful post thank you.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i think its good that capitalists are blowing up their own money like artillery to destroy competition. i hope epic games store and steam both die as a result. the only descent way to buy PC games is Good Old Games

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

more competition in storefronts is good you absolute dingus

Did I say it isn't you loving moron? Also there are examples of it being poo poo. See Netflix/Hulu/HBO Now/ Disney Plus/Amazon Prime.

Rutibex posted:

i think its good that capitalists are blowing up their own money like artillery to destroy competition. i hope epic games store and steam both die as a result. the only descent way to buy PC games is Good Old Games

It's more just buying into a share of the market. Kind of like how Microsoft made Xbox. Neither will die.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 30, 2019

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

fridge corn posted:

I don't think anyone is saying that games need to be art and I'm not even sure what that means but some people want to make games that are art and some of them are even successful at it, hth.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Games aren't art and never will be.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

100 years from now nobody is going to look at EA's latest lootbox extravaganza and say "Breathtaking" and the same is true of Undertale.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

100 years from now nobody is going to look at EA's latest lootbox extravaganza and say "Breathtaking" and the same is true of Undertale.

much like your posting

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
art is video games

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Games aren't art and never will be.
We're worth more than this. Not much, but more than this.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Yes this is true of any medium if you only pick garbage examples from them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

is pepsi ok posted:

Yes this is true of any medium if you only pick garbage examples from them.

I'm pretty sure the Teletubbies will live on in people's hearts forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I feel it’s not competition if the games are exclusive. True competition would be having the choice between which platform to buy a specific game. Otherwise you just go on the platform your game is, which is not competition, just annoyance at having to find what is being sold where.

Like, I don’t think anyone considers uPlay and Origin to be competitor with steam, unlike the humble store and gog