Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
A week late, this just came across my twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/Brucedraws/status/1206651388760977409

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Froghammer posted:

He's pretty clearly into both revolutionary politics and kink, so of course those two things are major themes in his work and worlds.

Then it turns out that no, he's not passionate about those things, he's just another lovely dom using kink acceptance as a shield for emotional abuse.

I'm totally not bitter about it at all.

You can be passionate about something and still be a complete rear end in a top hat about it, and revolutionary politics have never stopped anyone from being abusive.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The UK's TERF problem stems primarily from the fact that our country's slow progress towards LGBT rights isn't as hampered by far-right religious extremist culture pervading our society, due to our somewhat secular nature. So said far-right religious extremists needed an "in" to start attacking LGBT folks and dismantling their protections under the law, and that was trans folk. Every bit of anti-gay propaganda from the 80s and earlier, "dangerous bathroom predators out to convert your child to a life of sin" and etc., has been repurposed and repackaged to cover trans folk. It's a divide-and-conquer methodology, trying to get us queers to slowly abandon each other and be a smaller, more manageable opponent for their horseshit.

American groups have been sinking a lot of money into promoting TERF poo poo here, but it's hardly all down to foreign influence. The UK has always had a serious problem with bigotry of all kinds. I remember back when I was a kid, "gay" was basically a synonym for "bad", to say nothing of how much comedy shows used crossdressing and blackface.

Can't help but think the bigotry thing is going to be getting a lot, lot worse over the next few years :(

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kai Tave posted:

A week late, this just came across my twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/Brucedraws/status/1206651388760977409

Didn't they do this to writers not all that long ago, too?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

A while back, although that was due to embezzlement and mismanagement, not direct malice, as appears to be the case here.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Honestly at this point it'd be more astounding for Catalyst to produce something without bilking some creative talent that helped make a product.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Whoever said that british feminism feels like it never intersectioned is pretty much spot on.

Fuego Fish posted:

American groups have been sinking a lot of money into promoting TERF poo poo here, but it's hardly all down to foreign influence. The UK has always had a serious problem with bigotry of all kinds. I remember back when I was a kid, "gay" was basically a synonym for "bad", to say nothing of how much comedy shows used crossdressing and blackface.

Can't help but think the bigotry thing is going to be getting a lot, lot worse over the next few years :(

Apparently there has been nothing funnier to british people than a dude with a beard wearing women's clothes. I don't think there's a single Monty Python thing where Terry Jones doesn't play a woman at some point. The panto dame is just.. A Thing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fuego Fish posted:

The UK's TERF problem stems primarily from the fact that our country's slow progress towards LGBT rights isn't as hampered by far-right religious extremist culture pervading our society, due to our somewhat secular nature. So said far-right religious extremists needed an "in" to start attacking LGBT folks and dismantling their protections under the law, and that was trans folk. Every bit of anti-gay propaganda from the 80s and earlier, "dangerous bathroom predators out to convert your child to a life of sin" and etc., has been repurposed and repackaged to cover trans folk. It's a divide-and-conquer methodology, trying to get us queers to slowly abandon each other and be a smaller, more manageable opponent for their horseshit.

If it helps at all, my impression is that the forces of bullshit decided to turn their focus to trans folks almost entirely because they realized they had lost the war on gay marriage/rights, which suggests they can - and, I suspect, will - be defeated in the same way, especially since their core constituency group has a certain overlap with the far end of the life expectancy chart.

All of this, for tax cuts.

EthanSteele posted:

Apparently there has been nothing funnier to british people than a dude with a beard wearing women's clothes. I don't think there's a single Monty Python thing where Terry Jones doesn't play a woman at some point. The panto dame is just.. A Thing.
What the hell is up with that, anyway? Like is it an outgrowth of theater being a lot bigger there than here (the US in my case)? Is there some kind of sociocultural analysis of why this seems to be the height of English comedy? Someone must have written a paper at some point. If not, congratulations any aspiring students in that general field reading this, now you have a topic.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 23, 2019

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Nessus posted:

What the hell is up with that, anyway? Like is it an outgrowth of theater being a lot bigger there than here (the US in my case)? Is there some kind of sociocultural analysis of why this seems to be the height of English comedy? Someone must have written a paper at some point. If not, congratulations any aspiring students in that general field reading this, now you have a topic.

if you're talking about panto it's because it's a Long Standing Christmas Thing like how the dutch will never give up their blackface elf. all the really horrid european christmas traditions are that way because they have roots in the medieval or early modern. but all the funny and good ones do too, some people just can't selectively give things up if it's all Tradition

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 23, 2019

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Men dressed as women is considered the height of comedy in several countries of Asia too, even in Thailand where gender fluidity and trans people are pretty common and largely accepted.

In Korea and Taiwan whenever we had a performance during a school festival, there'd always be cross dressing by students and teachers and it was the most popular act of the night. If video games have taught me anything, Japan is similar.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

That's a transphobe problem. The TERF problem I'd blame at entrenched trans-negative radical feminists that won a lot of victories in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, and are now skirting along on past fame and gratitude well past its use-by date, instead of being replaced with slightly more sensible people. Like how Julie Bindel can continue to vomit transphobia onto the pages of every British newspaper because she used to be someone back when pogs and slap bracelets were fashionable.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

EthanSteele posted:

Whoever said that british feminism feels like it never intersectioned is pretty much spot on.

The thing is, it has, but it's a yoof thing, and, well...

LatwPIAT posted:

The TERF problem I'd blame at entrenched trans-negative radical feminists that won a lot of victories in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, and are now skirting along on past fame and gratitude well past its use-by date, instead of being replaced with slightly more sensible people. Like how Julie Bindel can continue to vomit transphobia onto the pages of every British newspaper because she used to be someone back when pogs and slap bracelets were fashionable.

LatwPIAT is entirely correct. It's another symptom of the suicide pact old people have signed with this country. Everyone under forty is on their own.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

spectralent posted:

The thing is, it has, but it's a yoof thing, and, well...

LatwPIAT is entirely correct. It's another symptom of the suicide pact old people have signed with this country. Everyone under forty is on their own.

Yeah, that's fair, if there's anything britain is good at its letting awful people get entrenched and then not calling them out until after they're dead.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Or just quietly burying their legacy after they've died while launching a bunch of governmental investigations into the aftermath.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Hostile V posted:

Or just quietly burying their legacy after they've died while launching a bunch of governmental investigations into the aftermath.

Haven't you heard? That's just spaffing money up the wall.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fuego Fish posted:

Haven't you heard? That's just spaffing money up the wall.

the hell is spaffing

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Mors Rattus posted:

the hell is spaffing

Toff-speak for "ejaculating", our current prime minister said that exact thing with regards to investigating the sexual abuse of children.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
I'm late but can someone give me a source on the mieville thing because this is the first time I'm hearing about it and google isn't really telling me anything useful?

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
it's a harrowing read

CW: very frank discussion of abuse

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

Didn't he have a list of dozens of "Salieris" conspiring to destroy him on one of his harassment blogs?

I think you’ll find that was the exact post I was talking about.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Dreqqus posted:

it's a harrowing read

CW: very frank discussion of abuse

I neither have personal experience with this kind of emotional abuse, nor have I read articles before that go into detail on the actual things the abuser says the way this article does. Things that are grim truths about the world to others are things to me that, while I know intellectually, I haven't put words to or considered in detail.

I doubt anything about this style is unique; there are probably many "functioning" sociopaths out there working off the same playbook. But I'm disquieted and disturbed that there are people out there who can say the things in the "I can barely write this" paragraph and then baldly say, when the game falls apart or they lose interest, that "I never told you I loved you, I was very careful about that."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mors Rattus posted:

Didn't they do this to writers not all that long ago, too?

They still do this to writers. They posted earlier this year for writers for their live campaign... asking for spec work that might lead to getting to write a module at less than 1c a word.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Liquid Communism posted:

They still do this to writers. They posted earlier this year for writers for their live campaign... asking for spec work that might lead to getting to write a module at less than 1c a word.

lmao I completely forgot about this scam because of the overriding haze of all their other scams

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

At this point I assume that after final manuscript delivery for anything for Shadowrun, the Mr. Johnson has you attacked by a corporate security team.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Me, an idiot planning a kickstarter: "Hmm, can i get away with paying my writers .20 pr word? i want to pay them generously and make sure i don't devalue their work"
Shadowrun missions, big brain geniuses: "You'll get .01 after you to spec work for us."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There was a 'for exposure' thing recently where some YouTuber said they wanted a whole lot of art and animation and ended it with '$50.' The artist said 'uh, no, that's way too low.' And the YouTuber says "you fool, you absolute buffoon, $50 was the bargain price you'd pay ME for the exposure." I pray CGL never reads that because it might give them ideas.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dawgstar posted:

There was a 'for exposure' thing recently where some YouTuber said they wanted a whole lot of art and animation and ended it with '$50.' The artist said 'uh, no, that's way too low.' And the YouTuber says "you fool, you absolute buffoon, $50 was the bargain price you'd pay ME for the exposure." I pray CGL never reads that because it might give them ideas.
Old freelancer saying: "Exposure is something you die from"

There are whole channels of freelancers and creative types posting horror stories about rip-off gigs and clients:

https://twitter.com/forexposure_txt

https://clientsfromhell.net/

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The freelancer creed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XGAmPRxV48&t=14s

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Magnusth posted:

Me, an idiot planning a kickstarter: "Hmm, can i get away with paying my writers .20 pr word? i want to pay them generously and make sure i don't devalue their work"
Shadowrun missions, big brain geniuses: "You'll get .01 after you to spec work for us."

Average 1 cent. They pay flat rate.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
As best I can tell, one of the shareholders of By Night Studios, the folks making the current V:tM LARP rules, is some kind of violent MAGA fire who likes to post on FB about shooting immigrants. Does anybody have more information?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Looking at their Facebook/Twitter page, they are "taking it seriously" and will make a decision about something soon. Plenty of people on the FB page just going "why haven't you shitcanned this one guy yet?"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Green Intern posted:

Looking at their Facebook/Twitter page, they are "taking it seriously" and will make a decision about something soon. Plenty of people on the FB page just going "why haven't you shitcanned this one guy yet?"

Not trying to be snarky: can you shitcan shareholders?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Bruceski posted:

Not trying to be snarky: can you shitcan shareholders?

Yes. Though it gets harder if he owns more than 25%.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO TEACH YOU THIS LESSON, ANTEDILUVIAN?!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
So, yeah. Shane Robinett is one of their shareholders. Someone found some fairly disgusting stuff he posted on Facebook. Most of it was just fairly standard "Waahhh! It's so hard to be a white Christian male" whining, but there was also one saying that the US needs to start murdering immigrants using drones with .50 caliber guns.

By Night Studios has said they will make a statement tomorrow (12/31).

EDIT: According to their website, he's "Project Lead for Technology; Partner; Investor."

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
well, that article about the terrible poo poo mieville did was horrifying, but is there anywhere that gives more evidence that it is him, so i can show it to someone who is a fan of that monster (and a friend of mine) and they don't go like "well it doesn't mention him so therefore it MUST not be true" or some loving similar bullshit, I do believe the accusation, but I find people just straight up refuse to accept evidence when stuff depicting their favorite creators as terrible people appears.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the original version of the blog post named names and was changed in response to legal threats, it's unlikely you're going to get anything better than that

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

By Night Studios has released the one shareholder partner. An "apology" and resignation letter was posted to their Facebook page as well. Shane forgives everyone who labeled him a "Nazi" (quotation marks his) for their "hateful comments" and hopes that everyone can forgive him for the hurt he has caused.

Also apparently there was some fiasco with him not thinking that artists needed to be paid, judging by the letter. All around a real piece of work.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Mandy Morbid's GoFundMe has raised $10K for her legal defense, and she seems to be in a better emotional place right now if the latest update is any indication. So that's good news, I think.

quote:

Hi
I am completely blown away by the support the community has shown me.
It means a lot. It really does, and it's got me feeling a lot better about everything, come what may.
I'll keep you updated.
Thank you all so so much.
Oh and I've decided, that if there is any money left over after I'm finish with Zak-legal stuff I'm going to donate it to a local lgbtq friendly domestic violence shelter.