Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lambert Lambert, what a prick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not bad.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

codswallop posted:

Wait, Druid? Mousesack wasn't the Court Mage?

Druids are not D&D/WoW druids. They are still "Mages" in the d&d sense, but instead of being part of the cloak&dagger order Yennefer and the other are members of, they are part of a different one, and they have different philosophical beliefs (Mousesack is from Skellige, and Druids are more common over there. Cintra has refused the "assistance" of Yennefer's order for many years, but Ciri's grandfather is from Skellige, so it makes sense he would welcome a druid to court. Also Mousesack decides to stay at court to teach Pavetta how to use her powers after they become evident).

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Hope for season 2 in kaer moran they include the witcher guy that didnt take the mutations well and then ciri tells him via one of her moods that he's gonna die

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Good news for The Witcher:

quote:

Netflix's 'The Witcher' dethroned 'The Mandalorian' as the biggest TV series in the world

- Netflix's "The Witcher" is the most in-demand TV show in the world, according to the latest figures from the data company Parrot Analytics.
- The fantasy series dethroned Disney Plus' "The Mandalorian" as the top global series last week.
- "The Witcher" is also one of Netflix's most popular series in the US, second only to "Stranger Things," the streaming company said on Monday.
- "The Witcher" has been a hit with audiences despite poor reviews from critics.

Netflix has found its next global hit, and it's giving even "Star Wars" a run for its money.

"The Witcher," based on the fantasy novel series by the Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski, is the most in-demand TV series in the world across all platforms, according to the data company Parrot Analytics. The company's ranking is based on "demand expressions," its globally standardized TV measurement unit to reflect the desire, engagement, and viewership of a series, weighted by importance.

The show, which arrived on Netflix on December 20, passed Disney Plus' "Star Wars" series, "The Mandalorian," as the top show in the world the week of December 22 to 28. "The Witcher" was also the top show in the US, with nearly 127 million demand expressions compared with "The Mandalorian's" 115 million demand expressions in the US that week.

It's an impressive start for "The Witcher" considering the popularity of "The Mandalorian," which last month dethroned Netflix's "Stranger Things" as the most in-demand streaming series in the US, breaking its 21-week streak at the top of Parrot Analytics' charts.

"'The Witcher's' immediate worldwide success highlights the impact that a binge-released series can have on driving audience demand," a Parrot Analytics representative said. "Its success is also crucial for Netflix heading into the 2020s as the streamer fights off new SVOD players and declining global digital original demand share."

Parrot Analytics' data backs up Netflix's assertion that "The Witcher" is one of its most popular shows of the year. The streaming giant revealed its top 10 TV shows of 2019 on Monday, with "The Witcher" second only to "Stranger Things" in the US. "The Witcher" was Netflix's most popular series in the UK and Australia.

Netflix's lists are based on how many households streamed a title for at least two minutes in its first 28 days of release. For "The Witcher," which hasn't been available for that long, Netflix used projections based on its viewership so far, though the company did not disclose actual numbers.

"The Witcher's" popularity comes despite poor reviews from critics. The show, starring Henry Cavill as a monster-hunter for hire, has a 59% critic score on the review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes based on 63 reviews, but a 93% audience score based on more than 14,000 user ratings.

Time magazine's Judy Berman wrote that the series "heightens our confusion by fumbling details that would have helped it set a cohesive tone."

Not all the reviews have been bad. Indiewire's Ben Travers wrote that "The Witcher" is "a pretty entertaining spectacle."

Hopefully Netflix puts more money into it and it finds its feet in the next season.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It should be fine. I think production wise this first season was better than season 1 of GoT. I’m excited to see where it goes.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Brown Moses posted:

Hopefully Netflix puts more money into it and it finds its feet in the next season.

What is the Witcher's "justice for Barb" season 2 hotfix going to be?

Edit: scrotum armour aside.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
good. well deserved.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Doltos posted:

Hopefully they get a budget for more set pieces and CGI battles too.

They had like $90 million to work with for 8 episodes. Not sure what tossing more money is going to do. The people in charge are just not good at that stuff.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

https://twitter.com/alexhosgh/status/1208858034824450050

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Cavill as Geralt being the worst part of the show is a helluva take, but to each their own!

That's not what i'm saying at all. Cavill would probably had been fine as Geralt if he had been allowed to actually act.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Alhazred posted:

That's not what i'm saying at all. Cavill would probably had been fine as Geralt if he had been allowed to actually act.

Right, but that still means that, to you, he was a poor Geralt, which is where I disagree. But that's ok, it's subjective. Cavill does what the character needs, based on the books at least. He's not a super expressive or emotive character. He broods and complains a lot.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, there aren't really rules, but Geralt likes to pretend there is a Witcher's code so he can make up excuses to turn down jobs.

From what I remember the 3rd game even calls out Geralt on the “the witcher code” being BS. It’s is really used as excuse to for geralt to justify whatever he does.

It may only be a journal or encyclopedia entry. But this is pointed out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think Lambert says something like "you and your stupid code" during his revenge quest.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DropsySufferer posted:

From what I remember the 3rd game even calls out Geralt on the “the witcher code” being BS. It’s is really used as excuse to for geralt to justify whatever he does.

It may only be a journal or encyclopedia entry. But this is pointed out.

Pretty sure it’s Lambert making fun of Geralt.

efb

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
I always thought witchers having dulled or dead emotions was a thing, primarily because it would seem super important to not feel fear when your job is to go into a dark crypt and fight something terrifying, to the death.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

physeter posted:

I always thought witchers having dulled or dead emotions was a thing, primarily because it would seem super important to not feel fear when your job is to go into a dark crypt and fight something terrifying, to the death.

Nah, it's just a rumour the witchers themselves perpetuate. Though Geralt sometimes struggles with admitting he has feelings.

You have to remember these men are all broken manchildren. They're not great at emotions in general, so why not pretend they don't have any?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea the "no emotions" thing is a combination of perpetuated lies from emotionally immature men. They don't necessarily feel fear because for the very specific thing they do, they are very well trained. Not to mention that as a chemical reaction, between their mutations and imbibed chemicals, fear itself is just another chemical reaction that can be moderated.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Geralt's code isn't just an excuse. Not killing sentient "monsters" that are just stealing food or scaring people because they look mean is a good thing.

And Lambert's a prick. He wanted to kill the rock trolls. That's unforgivable. :colbert:

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Niwrad posted:

They had like $90 million to work with for 8 episodes. Not sure what tossing more money is going to do. The people in charge are just not good at that stuff.

Imo the cgi and set pieces were fine, what they really need is a proper DOP cuz the lighting in some of the shots was real bad and made the otherwise good set design and costuming look like a cheap syfy show (the obvious exception being the Nilfgaardian armour of course).

Starks fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 30, 2019

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

itry posted:

Geralt's code isn't just an excuse. Not killing sentient "monsters" that are just stealing food or scaring people because they look mean is a good thing.

And Lambert's a prick. He wanted to kill the rock trolls. That's unforgivable. :colbert:

It's an excuse in the sense that it's much easier to refer to some made up guild bylaw prohibiting the killing of intelligent monsters than to argue with an angry village elder that you aren't going to kill the local godling because it would be wrong.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

itry posted:

Geralt will kill sentient monsters if they attack first or if they are causing other kinds of damage to people. Trolls are a thing of the past in my Drunken Bomb Flinging rear end in a top hat playthrough.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Right, but that still means that, to you, he was a poor Geralt, which is where I disagree.

I think that Geralt was a poor character and that any actor would struggle with doing anything interesting with him.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I like how Geralt loosened up both vocally and expressively when he's taking to Roach, and I feel like that should have been the baseline for his normal interactions. The books can have Geralt acting all stern and serious because his inner monologue shows that he's anything but. But in the show it just comes off wooden

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Someone said it up thread, but Geralt interacting with Ciri will, I think, have Geralt being a lot more emotive. And just like the books, if anything comes between him and Ciri, I feel sorry for them. Poor Michelet Bros...

Herostratus
May 1, 2013

quote:

Netflix Has Reportedly Already Greenlit Season 3 Of The Witcher

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/netflix-reportedly-greenlit-season-3-witcher/

TLDR, sources (hopefully reliable) say the show has been greenlit for a third season, to be based on the second Witcher novel, Time of Contempt.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Cavill as Geralt is by leaps and bounds the best part of the show

— to the degree that I literally can’t understand the perspective of someone who thinks otherwise

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I haven't read the books or played the video games and this entire thing felt like the show is very much intended for people who have. I think the only reason I made it through was because I accidentally read somewhere that there was timeline fuckery which made the story a little easier to pick out. Maybe I'm just bad a watching TV, but it felt like the timeline stuff on top of mumbly dialog with a dazzling array of eastern-european fantasy names pronounced in different accents made it very hard to keep up. On the other hand, titties, monsters, and awesome swordfights can make up a lot of ground.

edit: I wonder if RT has a way to tally reviews from people who know the story and characters already separately from people who are watching it cold.

withak fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 31, 2019

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

straight up brolic posted:

— to the degree that I literally can’t understand the perspective of someone who thinks otherwise

Him interacting with guys in the party / banquet thing, standing up for outcasts everywhere, not wanting to kill renfri and so on all gave me the idea he had plenty of emotions inside without showing it in big letters.
Guy is just really lonely, closed-up, and horny for emotional affection.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Okay can someone clear up for me when stuff is taking place. I'm at episode 4 and it seems that the Witcher dude is at a party protecting the bard, and that this take place before the events in episode 1. But along with this we have cirila in a magic forest, and yennifer 20 years later in a cart. What the ef is going on?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's pretty easy. All the Ciri stuff is happening in the present over the course of a few weeks. All the Geralt and Yennifer stuff is happening way earlier spread out over several decades, but they're in chronological order with themselves.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Okay can someone clear up for me when stuff is taking place. I'm at episode 4 and it seems that the Witcher dude is at a party protecting the bard, and that this take place before the events in episode 1. But along with this we have cirila in a magic forest, and yennifer 20 years later in a cart. What the ef is going on?

The three main characters have scenes that are in order when only considering their scenes, but are three converging timelines that have different starting points.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is the queen of Centra related to Foltest or was the Foltest curse story just a separate thing? Is Milfgard also seperate from the Foltest story line? I'm at the dinner scene where Sonic the hedgehog came and everyone is fighting and I have no idea why.

Edit: okay so Cirilia was married to the hedgehog guy at some point?

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 31, 2019

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is the queen of Centra related to Foltest or was the Foltest curse story just a separate thing? Is Milfgard also seperate from the Foltest story line? I'm at the dinner scene where Sonic the hedgehog came and everyone is fighting and I have no idea why.

Edit: okay so Cirilia was married to the hedgehog guy at some point?

Foltest is King of Temaria. Calanthe is Queen of Cintra. Seperate kingdoms. Geralt goes to Temaria looking for Witcher work. Both are kingdoms in the North. Nilfgaard is a kingdom in the South that invades the North, starting with Cintra in episode 1.

Calanthe is Ciri's Grandmother. Pavetta is her mother. She is the one at the banquet who goes nuts. Ciri also has this power. Sonic the hedgehog (Duny) is her father. Ciri states that both of her parents are deas which is why she is being raised by Calanthe.

Bananasaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 31, 2019

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Regarding timeline confusion it's worth noting that Witchers and Mages can live for a VERY long time. So that explains why Geralt and Yennifer seem to never age over decades. Though the show doesn't do a very good job of showing Calanthe aging either. Though that was only 13 years passing I suppose. Or Jaskier for that matter, aside from Yennifers crow feet comment. But he was always described as looking youthful depsite his age in the books.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uwbjC_8Nd0

Something I find interesting is how most European languages have their own name for Geralt's profession.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

straight up brolic posted:

It owns how he kept hounding the production company for a audition when heard the series got greenlit.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just when I finally got it out of my head

https://twitter.com/kyle_reclaim/status/1210832873944690688

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dude sucks at Fruity Loops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Not to be a super pervazoid but god drat Yennifers boobs are perfect. Move over Bad Pussy, you no long have the best boobs in Fantasy TV.

Horny posting over,

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Regarding timeline confusion it's worth noting that Witchers and Mages can live for a VERY long time. So that explains why Geralt and Yennifer seem to never age over decades. Though the show doesn't do a very good job of showing Calanthe aging either. Though that was only 13 years passing I suppose. Or Jaskier for that matter, aside from Yennifers crow feet comment. But he was always described as looking youthful depsite his age in the books.

Yea i wish they made that a lot clearer because I know people who know nothing about the show will be confused by it. It may of helped if Jaskier had aged visibly in some way, like maybe made him up to be super young when he first meets Geralt, like he's meant to be in his teens, and when he meets him later he's whatever the actors actual age would have been. Though both Geralt and Yenn have had magic done to them, that could explain their long lives.

Also anyone wondering, this is what Nilfgaard armor looked like in the game

So very clearly inspired by German Gothic Plate, the sallent helmet is a dead giveaway. Which makes sense because to a Polish person, Austria/German states would be the invaders. Though no one seems to fit in the role of Russia as far as I can tell, and they liked to invade Poland a lot too. This is something I really like about Witcher 3 is they used real world armors because they worked, they would protect and give freedom of movement. Most fantasy stuff just goes for stuff that looks cool and forgets if the armor would actually be useful.

Most of the show armors look pretty good, like Cintra and Temeria looked like real world stuff, but still, wtf is with Nilfgaard?