Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Korea
Feb 15, 2012

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I found these in a box of free books being dumped by someone moving out of my apartment complex couple of months ago:

I'm keeping this one because the cover makes me laugh:

I had a few of these books as a kid. Whoever wrote clearly hated the show, hated the audience and resented that their career had floundered so much they were having to write tie-ins for little girls. It especially shone through in the Stephanie ones, since they were writing about the most annoying character on a show of nothing but annoying characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Gutter Phoenix posted:

For those who haven't seen this video yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6iduWmgKFo

LMAO :psyduck: :wtc:

Gettin telepathed at by the mspaint sasquatch

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Have we talked about house of leaves yet?

Mild spoilers
The book is an holistic work that really plays with the medium of a book while also being very well written

Beginning normally enough with a framing device that is a report/collection of notes about family moving into a new house that doesn't quite make sense, with internal hallways that can't fit into external foot print and rooms that seemingly appear at the whim of the house

While also getting a Hunter S Thompson stream of consciousness ramble from the (ostensible?) Main character who is reading through the notes as you are and struggling to cope with his day to day life because of it (not that he was doing well before)

It does appear a bit intimidating but , it really instructs you into how to read it and builds to some beautiful bits that almost play in your head

Highly recommend, definitely get the full colour version

Jestery fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 30, 2019

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I got a copy of that from a pile of free books, I need to actually read it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Jestery posted:

Flip to the glossary index and look up the word "where."

Heath fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 30, 2019

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Lazyhound posted:

I got a copy of that from a pile of free books, I need to actually read it.

There is a lot of white space, it's a lot smaller than you think

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Heath posted:

Flip to the glossary and look up the word "where."

The index? It's not there :confused:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Jestery posted:

The index? It's not there :confused:

Yeah. The word does not occur anyplace in the book.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Heath posted:

Yeah. The word does not occur anyplace in the book.

Oh snap

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
So this may be the wrong thread, but I’m not sure where else to ask. My parents have a lot of old books. The house they are living in was bought 50+ years ago from a book collector and his wife. For unknown reasons, she was pissed at him when they moved out, and only let him bring one box of books to their new place. The rest have sat in my parent’s basement library until now. Sadly, a leak in the steam heating system led to many of them being destroyed. There are a few things left, and I would like to find good homes for them. There’s some neat things, like an 8 book collection on the history of Egypt from the mid 1800s, and set of old natural history books that have some hilariously wrong info in them (Did you know dolphins are thought to have poor hearing, as they have no ears?). My own house is full of books I don’t read, so they can’t come here. Nice editions of some of these are worth money, but I doubt that these copies are worth much. Is there any good place to donate them to?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jestery posted:

Mild spoilers
The book is an holistic work that really plays with the medium of a book while also being very well written

Beginning normally enough with a framing device that is a report/collection of notes about family moving into a new house that doesn't quite make sense, with internal hallways that can't fit into external foot print and rooms that seemingly appear at the whim of the house

While also getting a Hunter S Thompson stream of consciousness ramble from the (ostensible?) Main character who is reading through the notes as you are and struggling to cope with his day to day life because of it (not that he was doing well before)

It does appear a bit intimidating but , it really instructs you into how to read it and builds to some beautiful bits that almost play in your head

Mark Z Danielewski has been toying around with doing a "TV" version of the book for about a year now. He "leaked" a pilot script that gets very weird and he is currently putting out stuff on Patreon.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I like the idea of it and it's all very cinematic in my head , but like I'm not sure if it's pragmatically possible

Mark me down for curious

I think a listen along audiobook could be cool, could really supplement well and allow for cool stuff

Zealander
Aug 3, 2006
I got the pop up Book of Phobias

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Jestery posted:

Mild spoilers

I've never heard of this. Looks pretty gimmicky, and is giving me horrible flashbacks to forcing myself to finish reading Tristam Shandy and/ or Finnegan's Wake (and less horrible flashbacks to reading Pale Fire). Is it actually any good?

EDIT: You said highly recommended, so I'll assume it is good. I'll leaf through a physical copy next time I'm at a book store and see what I think.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 31, 2019

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Zealander posted:

I got the pop up Book of Phobias

This looks fun!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I grabbed a stack of turn of the century hardcovers this morning from someone moving out of my apartment building, and scored some good stuff, including the first 3 volumes of Das Kapital, and a version of the Divine Comedy illustrated by George Grosz! I am most excited about that one. I won't be able to scan any pictures today, but will post some in the near future.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I've never heard of this. Looks pretty gimmicky, and is giving me horrible flashbacks to forcing myself to finish reading Tristam Shandy and/ or Finnegan's Wake (and less horrible flashbacks to reading Pale Fire). Is it actually any good?

EDIT: You said highly recommended, so I'll assume it is good. I'll leaf through a physical copy next time I'm at a book store and see what I think.

House of Leaves is a book that you can put varying amounts of effort into. First time readers should just focus on the main text and then afterwards they can go back and start going over the footnotes which add a whole meta layer to everything. But if you just read the story you'll still have a good experience as it is an effectively creepy tale.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I found a 1939 reader from the other side of the country in a Masonic thrift store.
Normally I'm not terribly interested in "slightly old book" but this has at least two children's worth of liner notes in it!

1 and 6 seems a bit expensive to me, but it does have extensive colour plates.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I've never heard of this. Looks pretty gimmicky
It is.

The actual story is... fine? But it would never have gotten anywhere near the attention it has if you didn't have to keep rotating the book to read it. Oh, and a couple of specific words are always printed in particular colours and this is absolutely vital for some reason.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
House of Leaves' mystery is in its aesthetic. It's an attempt to blend written media with the physical medium in which it's made. Whether it's successful in that or not is up to the reader, but it's interesting nonetheless and it has a lot of thought put into the presentation. It's the rare sort of thing where the story is using words as building blocks of something mimicking a physical space, rather than a more conventional narrative that uses language to paint a picture. It's a bit of a victim of its own success, because I remember thinking it was much more interesting at the time it came out than it seems to me now, although I still respect it for what it is. It is one of those books you can get lost in looking for the little hidden details, which works towards its overall conceit of a landscape that never stays static.

It's worth checking out and it was a crazy popular book so you can probably find it at any Salvation Army or whatever without much digging. Even if you don't read it I recommend giving it a good flip through to see if it interests you, just to see what it's like.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

It is a bit of a gimmick , but if it wasn't so well written it would become insufferable

What save it from said insufferableness is that the non-twisty parts are very competently written and that the book doesn't use it as a crutch.

The story itself has very clear themes and every 15 minutes or so there is just a cool thing, be it a narrative device or character development or piece of writing

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Jestery posted:

It is a bit of a gimmick , but if it wasn't so well written it would become insufferable

What save it from said insufferableness is that the non-twisty parts are very competently written and that the book doesn't use it as a crutch.

The story itself has very clear themes and every 15 minutes or so there is just a cool thing, be it a narrative device or character development or piece of writing

You have me curious. Gimmicky things can be cool if done well. I'll check it out one of these days.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

These are related to the bizarre paranormal Sasquatch/ UFO rabbit hole we went down recently in the magazine thread:

This is a book by the lady who painted all of those sasquatch portraits:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

A few new books (only peripherally related to UFOs and Sasquatch):

This is by actor George Kennedy, and also stars George Kennedy. This is one of 2 he wrote. More on this and the other book soon.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Stealing this from the Blessed thread cause I just love neat cover and spine designs:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Pershing posted:

Stealing this from the Blessed thread cause I just love neat cover and spine designs:

That's loving rad! I've never seen that set before.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I scored a last minute free fourth row ticket to see a Mike Nesmith and Mickey Dolenz Q&A hosted by the SF Sketchfest yesterday:

Please enjoy this blurry picture I managed to get:

(Left to Right: moderator blurry Paul Myers, blurry Mickey Dolenz, blurry Mike Nesmith)

It was cool. The most interesting thing I learned was that Mickey Dolenz and Alice Cooper were friends and neighbors. Alice Cooper babysat Mickey's kids.

Anyway, the moderator, in addition to being Mike Myers' older brother, also wrote the excellent biography of the Kids in the Hall I posted awhile back:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

who among us hasn't searched for a used copy of Electrocution Night '78?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

who among us hasn't searched for a used copy of Electrocution Night '78?

Fernwood 2-Night was goofy as hell. I need to watch that show again. It's has literally been decades since since I've seen an episode, but I still remember bits, like the guy in the iron lung.

Martin Mull and Fred Willard are so goddamn funny.

From this book:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Fernwood 2-Night was goofy as hell. I need to watch that show again. It's has literally been decades since since I've seen an episode, but I still remember bits, like the guy in the iron lung.
Any opinion on Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman? It seems like something that would be extremely up your alley.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

wa27 posted:

Any opinion on Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman? It seems like something that would be extremely up your alley.

That show, against all odds, did get a DVD release and I've watched ~75% of it and it's really dang good.

It's a huge investment of time, so I couldn't say, honestly, "hey, go watch every episode of this unusual 70s soap" but I'm really fond of it and found it full of surprises above and beyond its spawning Fernwood 2-Night.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I have never seen that, although I was vaguely aware of it. I had no idea Fernwood 2 Night was a spin off until I just looked it up.

I'll have to check it out and see what I think before I commit to watching 325 episodes!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

That show, against all odds, did get a DVD release and I've watched ~75% of it and it's really dang good.

It's a huge investment of time, so I couldn't say, honestly, "hey, go watch every episode of this unusual 70s soap" but I'm really fond of it and found it full of surprises above and beyond its spawning Fernwood 2-Night.

I have the DVD set and want to get back into watching it every night. It can be tedious at times (it is a soap opera, after all), but it's really something special. I've actually never seen Fernwood 2Night but I know the set includes several episodes as bonus content so I should probably check it out.

It looks like someone has uploaded most of MHMH on youtube, though I don't know if there's gaps in the episodes or not.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I've been looking for a copy of this for years:

I love that the wall is labeled "PETition" rather than "PARtition."

Also, the font nerd in me noted that this book is typeset in Souvenir.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

wa27 posted:

I have the DVD set and want to get back into watching it every night. It can be tedious at times (it is a soap opera, after all), but it's really something special. I've actually never seen Fernwood 2Night but I know the set includes several episodes as bonus content so I should probably check it out.

It looks like someone has uploaded most of MHMH on youtube, though I don't know if there's gaps in the episodes or not.

There's a very good and admirably thorough episode guide here (PDF link).

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

oh dope posted:

I've been meaning to contribute to this thread for a while, so here goes.

For my birthday a couple years ago, my wife bought me a book from a used book store.

Note the handwriting real quick, it's relevant.

I'm not big on egyptology, but I had just acquired a new, bigger bookcase and she thought this would be a good addition, and it is. It's an early edition of "An Ancient Egyptian The Book of Hours", which is R.O Faulkner's translation of an ancient Egyptian scroll of invocations and prayers. R.O. Faulkner was a fairly prominent egyptologist in England back in the day, but that's not the cool part.

Apparently, at the register, right after my wife paid for it and they were bagging it up for her, this fell out from between the pages.

The person at the register, who happened to be the owner, said they could've charged her three times the price if they knew that was in there. See that handwriting? It's an original letter by Faulkner himself to a colleague, explaining that the colleague's submission to his book was cool and good, but he didn't get it in time for publishing. The date on the letter is from January 1958, and I think the book came out in December of that year. It's addressed to what looks like "Miss Van Voss". I don't know who that is, but on the inside cover is this:

It's a sticker that says "Ex Libris (from the library of) MSHG HeermaVanVoss". A little googling brings up a Dutch professor of Egyptology at the University of Amsterdam, whose full name is * deep inhale* Matthieu Sybrand Huibert Gerard Heerma Van Voss. I'm not sure how his copy of the book ended up in a used book store in suburban Minnesota. He passed away only a couple years before I ended up with it. I've wondered if someone over at the University would be interested in this letter for their archives, but for now, I guess I have Matt's book.

I keep thinking about this book that was posted last month. I need to dig out my copy of the Egyptian "Book of the Dead" and read it again.

EDIT:
Speaking of which, I got a copy of the Tibetan "Book of the Dead" from the free pile of books at my apartment building I mentioned a couple of weeks ago. I've never read that, and don't even really know what it's about, but it's on my short list of things to read (or at least peruse) in the very near future.

I still need to post pictures of the rest of those books. They are in my car trunk, so maybe later today if I get the chance. Oh, and scan some of the George Grosz drawings for Dante's Divine Comedy. Those are rad. I like George Grosz' art a lot. I posted his autobiography at some point earlier in this thread. It's worth a read, even if you don't know who he is (I didn't). The Portland (Oregon) art museum has (or use to have) a really great collection of his drawings from the Weimar period.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 14, 2020

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

wa27 posted:

I love this thread (and the magazine thread) because I learn about so many new and interesting things that I should already know about, but somehow don't. I just wish I had more free time to explore it all!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

I love that the wall is labeled "PETition" rather than "PARtition."

Also, the font nerd in me noted that this book is typeset in Souvenir.

LOL, I didn't even notice that.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

On the subject of TV, I just made a new thread about the reality show Love After Lockup:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911040

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013