Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

A Bad Poster posted:

A brilliant idea that would gain him 0 votes.

It would probably get him my dad's vote, which as a middle-aged white man in Michigan is clearly worth more than yours or mine (:negative:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Inside the U.S. military's raid against its own security guards that left dozens of Afghan children dead

quote:

U.S. military officials publicly touted the August 22, 2008, Azizabad raid – Operation Commando Riot – as a victory. A high-value Taliban target had been killed; the collateral damage was minimal; the village was grateful.

None of it was true.

The Taliban commander escaped. Dozens of civilians were dead in the rubble, including as many as 60 children. The local population rioted.

It remains one of the deadliest civilian casualty events of the Afghan campaign. But the story of how the operation turned tragic has been largely hidden from the public.

USA TODAY spent more than a year investigating the Azizabad raid and sued the Department of Defense to obtain almost 1,000 pages of investigative files previously kept secret because it had been deemed “classified national security information.” The records included photographs of the destruction in Azizabad and sworn testimony from the U.S. forces who planned and executed the operation.

USA TODAY also obtained Afghan government records, evidence collected by humanitarian groups, including the Red Cross, and a confidential United Nations investigation into the incident.

In addition, a reporter traveled to western Afghanistan to interview government officials, investigators, first responders, witnesses and the villagers who survived.

Together, the records and interviews tell the story of a disaster that was months in the making as military and company officials ignored warnings about the men they had hired to provide intelligence and security. The records also reveal that the Defense Department has for years downplayed or denied the fatal mistakes surrounding the tragedy.

The problems began in 2007 when ArmorGroup, a private security company working on a Pentagon subcontract, hired two local warlords on the U.S. intelligence payroll to provide armed guards at an airfield on the western edge of Afghanistan.

Those warlords fought each other for control of the weapons and money ArmorGroup was giving out. The tangle of espionage and tribal infighting eventually drew in the very same military units that had helped empower the warlords in the first place.

The breakdowns in the U.S. military intelligence machine culminated with the raid itself. Some troops were never warned of Azizabad’s civilian population, and the special operation commanders who did know unleashed devastating force from the air anyway. Ground troops directed an American gunship to demolish house after house where at least one insurgent took cover, without knowing who else was inside.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/mikebloomberg/status/1211781268922359810?s=21

Brilliant, all foreign intelligence has to do is constantly call the White House press office and they’ll hear every classified conversation in the background!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Christ proposing open office on the eve of 2020.

Talk about being out of touch.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

FrozenVent posted:

Christ proposing open office on the eve of 2020.

Talk about being out of touch.

Boomers willl love it. Bloomberg Analytica says so!

Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn has fled his house arrest in Tokyo, turning up in Lebanon.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/30/ousted-renault-nissan-boss-carlos-ghosn-violates-house-arrest-in-tokyo-lands-in-lebanon-reports-say.html

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 31, 2019

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

https://twitter.com/mikebloomberg/status/1211781268922359810?s=21

Brilliant, all foreign intelligence has to do is constantly call the White House press office and they’ll hear every classified conversation in the background!

Hahahhahahahhahahahha this stupid gently caress.

People like having their own space and some semblance of privacy, you loving dickhead.

Not to mention the obvious OPSEC poo poo as stated above.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

Hahahhahahahhahahahha this stupid gently caress.

People like having their own space and some semblance of privacy, you loving dickhead.

Not to mention the obvious OPSEC poo poo as stated above.

Uh yeah but have you considered that management likes to be able to easily spot slackers from within their private office?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The only people who like open offices are the ones who sit in corner offices. Bloomberg must be something of an accelerationist because there are few things that will get the millennial :guillotine: vote quicker.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I don't think he really expects/intends to win. He's a spoiler to keep the liberals out.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Godholio posted:

I don't think he really expects/intends to win. He's a spoiler to keep the liberals out.

Bloomberg has earmarked about $400 million for this run. He's hoping the same thing happened that got him into into the mayor's office in 2002 - some unforseen event. Bloomberg was absolutely toast, was told he was toast, and his numbers showed that he was toast, then 9/11 happened and jumbled everything.

Rich fucks think they know better than everyone because they're rich fucks. So, he thinks everyone else is wrong and that he can run a no-debate, high-ad strategy and win the thing somehow.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
So what you're saying is, Michael Bloomberg has $400 million to cause another 9/11 which will get him elected, eh :birdthunk:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I come from a blue collar family, and have worked mostly blue collar or service jobs in my life, and...Joe I gotta disagree that -literally anyone- who can shovel coal can learn to code.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

A Bad Poster posted:

So what you're saying is, Michael Bloomberg has $400 million to cause another 9/11 which will get him elected, eh :birdthunk:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
:birdthunk: is the greatest thing

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

Kesper North posted:

Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn has fled his house arrest in Tokyo, turning up in Lebanon.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/30/ousted-renault-nissan-boss-carlos-ghosn-violates-house-arrest-in-tokyo-lands-in-lebanon-reports-say.html

Ghosn with the wind.

e: also Ghosn in 60 seconds.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 31, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Scrolling past this image was an adventure

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kesper North posted:

He was saying something about “escaping injustice” so yeah he flew the coop. Be interesting to see what happens to Nissan now.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Why do these people evade house arrest? Dont they pretty much just ask and go wherever? The one fucker only had to do jail on weekends and got time out to use his superbowl tickets ffs

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

sharknado slashfic posted:

I come from a blue collar family, and have worked mostly blue collar or service jobs in my life, and...Joe I gotta disagree that -literally anyone- who can shovel coal can learn to code.

I'm sometimes considered a smart guy irl and have a couple degrees in what could be considered smart guy fields, and through some cosmic accident I even used to actually work for a major tech company occasionally adding some (bad) code to production. Despite that, all my attempts at learning to program for real have ended in ruin. I can't hack it.

Also lol at the idea that if someone does know how to code they just hand you a job now, let alone one that pays decently. It's not 1995 (except in Joe Biden's mind, forever)

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Best Friends posted:

I'm sometimes considered a smart guy irl and have a couple degrees in what could be considered smart guy fields, and through some cosmic accident I even used to actually work for a major tech company occasionally adding some (bad) code to production. Despite that, all my attempts at learning to program for real have ended in ruin. I can't hack it.

Also lol at the idea that if someone does know how to code they just hand you a job now, let alone one that pays decently. It's not 1995 (except in Joe Biden's mind, forever)

That said various people in my STEM non-CS program went thru coding boot camps and are employed as software engineers. Not all STEM jobs pay well, gotta go into software for that.

Also any coding job requires an ecosystem, be it a website to develop, databases to query, or spreadsheets to write macros. Coding itself won't work in a vacuum, and anyone who says "just teach them to code" is pretty misguided. Plenty of jobs exist today that don't require coding skills, it's just harder to pitch them since they're either bullshit or don't demand as specific a set of skills as coding.

Never mind what I'm saying though, Uncle Joe is just saying that so coal miners and other blue collar workers can feel tech workers are no better than them.

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 31, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's amazing and I mean truly, truly amazing how bad he is at everything. I'd run any of my pets for president before him and I'm sure they'd do a better job. Except mittens.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

https://mobile.twitter.com/thestevennabil/status/1211952280074780674

:stare:

oh poo poo

Edit: shiiiit

https://mobile.twitter.com/thestevennabil/status/1211950832645595137

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 31, 2019

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

whelp

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

2020 kicking off early, i see

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nope, even in nz it's still 2019

Thanks Killary

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Will Trump be getting his own Benjamin Ghazi?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

GoGoGadget posted:

Will Trump be getting his own Benjamin Ghazi?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Nope

Thanks Killary

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

lol, i forgot that was purpose built to be a fortress of an embassy.

https://www.wired.com/2007/05/building_a_fort/

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

It's the response to the US bombing Iran backed militias or w/e.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

ded posted:

It's the response to the US bombing Iran backed militias or w/e.

Yup, Kataib Hezbollah members in the crowd. Along with several Iraqi government members.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Smiling Jack posted:

Yup, Kataib Hezbollah members in the crowd. Along with several Iraqi government members.

Almost like Iran is better at playing this game than we are.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So we get to see the dumpy, orange fuckface on trial for 11 hours now right? It happened on his watch after all. Hell he's not even secretary of state, he's the guy in charge. Testify you poo poo head.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Erik Prince referred to Dept of Treasury for possible sanctions violations. In this admin nothing will happen but here's hoping.

https://apnews.com/0641c2b37886a08240d0ba64c9319699

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
2019 giving us one more kick in the teeth before loving off for good, I see.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bird food bathtub posted:

So we get to see the dumpy, orange fuckface on trial for 11 hours now right? It happened on his watch after all. Hell he's not even secretary of state, he's the guy in charge. Testify you poo poo head.

The Dems will never support a sustained "Benghazi" type narrative. Joe will announce that he'd return Pompeo to sec state to help the nation heal.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Calling it now: the RW narrative will be the president was so distracted from this fake, sham trial (witch hunt!) that he was unable to bravely defend it all by his lonesome

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Guys, I bet this means republicans demand a multi-month investigation into the Secretary of State’s handling of embassy security!

:v:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
We are so bad at this

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

mlmp08 posted:

Guys, I bet this means republicans demand a multi-month investigation into the Secretary of State’s handling of embassy security!

:v:

"The question is simple; what did Secretary Clinton know, and when did she know it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stravag posted:

Why do these people evade house arrest? Dont they pretty much just ask and go wherever? The one fucker only had to do jail on weekends and got time out to use his superbowl tickets ffs

They frequently confiscate your passport in the US, but who knows how it works for rich guys in Japan.