Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Kalenden posted:

We are celebrating with us two and would like to pick options from our cellar if possible.
What do you guys think?

If you're this advanced as a wine drinker you probably already have a good idea. Splash out on the price/quality, yes champagne, especially if you already bought it. Biggest choice is how much body and tannin you want on the red. 2001 high end right bank bdx has got to be nicely mature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I think you should just drink some wine and stop jerking off about your cellar

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
You posted this same exact post on that wine board. I now know your name and didn't really need to

I don't know jack poo poo about the wines in your collection but yeah an early 2000s Bordeaux should be fine

I think wine pairings are vastly less important than most people think

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

got off on a technicality posted:

I think wine pairings are vastly less important than most people think

As a working sommelier in fine dining, I agree. Unless you have the budget to whip out multiple wines and try them with the dish beforehand to really nail a pairing, I think your best guess is good enough when drinking at home. Hell, just Google "butter poached lobster wine pairings" or whatever the dish is and check the popular advice and get as close as you can. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've curated my wine to my dinners at home. If we have people over we all just pop fun bottles and drink good stuff.

If, however, you're in the camp that wine pairings are not a thing at all, then I'll find you and stab you.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
i think that most people generally overthink the hell out of wine pairings and try to nail these super specific flavor matches that they think will be spectacular vs mainly looking at body/weight, acid, and amount of fruit and aiming for pairings that should work pretty well together for the most part and getting some serendipitous luck now and again.

also lol on the other board call

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Yeah these days when we host wine people for dinner we make simple food (eg roast chicken) without too much acid (and definitely nothing sugary) so all the different wines can shine

Crimson posted:

If, however, you're in the camp that wine pairings are not a thing at all, then I'll find you and stab you.
Oh no no, I've had enough amazing (eg sauternes and lobster :monocle:) and lovely (too many to list) pairings in my time to know that I definitely agree

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Oh I know his name now too :v: .

On a different note, I’ve been slightly addicted to Jerome Prevost Fac-Simile with the downside that bottles are few and far to come by. Any suggestions for grower stuff similar and perhaps a bit cheaper too?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Furious Lobster posted:

Oh I know his name now too :v: .

On a different note, I’ve been slightly addicted to Jerome Prevost Fac-Simile with the downside that bottles are few and far to come by. Any suggestions for grower stuff similar and perhaps a bit cheaper too?

Savart Le Mont Benoit is a bdn not a rose but in my mind has that similar sort of complex red fruited profile. But yeah I tried the Facsimile a couple months ago for the first time and have to say it’s a hard one to match

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Understood Goons. Overthinking stuff is something I do. Apologies.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I've recently been on a Chardonnay hype. Trying out some large producers that have been around for a while. I'm currently drinking a 2016 Heitz Cellars, Napa Valley. Lots of bright fruits, apple, lemon skins, peach, little to no toast, tart, white flowers on the pallet. That's pretty much all I can get from it.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Cool, man.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

I got a kick out of this - fifty year old advice on building a cellar. 50 bottles of champagne every two years is doable.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
I'm surprised to see no mention of Sherry. And a mention of Huelva, which I actually had to google.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

obi_ant posted:

I've recently been on a Chardonnay hype. Trying out some large producers that have been around for a while. I'm currently drinking a 2016 Heitz Cellars, Napa Valley. Lots of bright fruits, apple, lemon skins, peach, little to no toast, tart, white flowers on the pallet. That's pretty much all I can get from it.

My man you should check out 2017 white burgundies they’re all excellent. Fevre and Jadot should both be easily findable in supermarkets

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

I got a kick out of this - fifty year old advice on building a cellar. 50 bottles of champagne every two years is doable.

Good find and surprisingly durable advice except they didn’t anticipate the modern day Northern Rhône craze

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I've been drinking some of the Jean-Pierre Robinot bottles I had hidden away, and I'm a bit torn on them now. They're nice, and unusual without being super weird, but they are perhaps a bit too... subtle. I wish they jumped out of the glass a lot more. They're not exactly cheap either, but I keep picking them up, mostly because I love their labels.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

got off on a technicality posted:

Good find and surprisingly durable advice except they didn’t anticipate the modern day Northern Rhône craze

Agree, but also apart from "red Burgundy ... for drinking within three, four or five years".

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hey thread, what would y'all recommend for babby's first foray into Italian reds, preferably on the lighter-bodied side? I've started gravitating more towards lighter-bodied reds because they pair better with the cuisine where I live.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

anakha posted:

Hey thread, what would y'all recommend for babby's first foray into Italian reds, preferably on the lighter-bodied side? I've started gravitating more towards lighter-bodied reds because they pair better with the cuisine where I live.

I went to a tasting with Olek Bondonio. His Dolcetto d'Alba was great. He said he was trying to make it in the old style, when Dolcetto was more covered than Barolo. Not sure how well distributed it is. Another I got recommended which is supposed to be in the same style is Fiorenzo Nada. Have bought one bottle but not tasted it yet.

Barbera is easy to get everywhere, but pretty ho hum in my opinion. Chianti Classico is also worth checking out of course, but is often made in a fuller bodied style.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

anakha posted:

I usually go for nero d'avola because it's cheap and fairly available here.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

anakha posted:

What they said and as well, if you have it available, look at Freisa. Almost uniformly medium-light bodied, but often in a more herbal/savory direction than the "bubblegum" you can get in light southern reds.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

anakha posted:

Good suggestions ITT; would personally pick a Dolcetto from a warm year like 2015. Also you could consider Nerello Mascalese from Sicily; it's very aromatic and light on tannin

e: try also Gattinara from the '70s, say Travaglini :v:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions. Got a Dolcetto d'Alba yesterday that I'll try after New Year's.

So what's everyone drinking this Christmas Eve or Christmas Day? Opened a nice Argentinean Malbec for Christmas Eve dinner that my family all enjoyed, even those that aren't normally wine drinkers.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Aussie Shiraz lol, a present from a friend as I know jack poo poo about Australian wine (1998 Kay Brothers Amery Block 6)

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
some by.ott estate rose because it’s bloody hot. Had the traditional sparkling Shiraz last night from Bests which is consistently excellent. Day before that we had two Prum 2009 Kabinetts. I probably need to switch from buying 65% red wine because all I’m drinking at the moment is white and pink.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Serving Huet Vouvray Clos du Bourg Sec to family, as a pairing for the fatty pork and lamb dishes with sweet sour sides that make up norwegian Christmas dishes. Drinking Antoine Sunier Regnie 'Montmerond' and Domaine David-Beaupère Les Trois Verres Juliénas myself as natty Gamay is my bag these days.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

some by.ott estate rose because it’s bloody hot. Had the traditional sparkling Shiraz last night from Bests which is consistently excellent. Day before that we had two Prum 2009 Kabinetts. I probably need to switch from buying 65% red wine because all I’m drinking at the moment is white and pink.

Ya this is happening to me too. It seems like I open reds for special occasions only and whites/champagnes otherwise

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

thotsky posted:

Serving Huet Vouvray Clos du Bourg Sec to family, as a pairing for the fatty pork and lamb dishes with sweet sour sides that make up norwegian Christmas dishes.
Nice one

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Just a friendly reminder that smaller (emphasis smaller) US retailers, importers, and distributors are all about to eat poo poo hard with potential 100% tariffs on Euro wines. Contact your reps or comment here among other places. Think there’s a second regulation action available for public comment somewhere, too.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Possibly pretty good for US winemakers? Will South African / Australian wines be hit with tarrifs?

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Nothing is set in stone, but it will certainly only affect EU wines. Definitely bad for US consumers, definitely good for US winemakers. Definitely good for non-US consumers, definitely bad for many EU producers, but how bad it is for them really depends on their model. High-volume producers with significant US presence like Jadot and LVMH will be hit hard, as will the small number of producers with cult status in the US but relatively little clout elsewhere like Clos Rougeard, Raveneau, etc., though I'm not really shedding any tears for any of them. Low-volume artisinal producers with less prestige will likely see a bit of a hit in the short term, but should be able to recover by expanding their presence in other markets. If it happens we will likely see US wine prices increasing beyond its already exorbitant international pricing and EU pricing holding or dropping, and certainly allocations of EU wine increasing outside the US; all in all it would be mostly good news for consumers outside of the US.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

High end, low volume stuff can just sell more in Europe and Asia. They won't have any problems. Maybe they'll have to drop prices a tiny bit, probably not. But smaller, non-famous artisan shops who only deal with one or two markets will be hit hard. As I understand it, many of them get to know only a few importers and deal with just them instead of spreading out over many markets with lots of overhead and admin. But from my point of view, as a European consumer mostly buying European wines,

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Europe, please send us all the good wine to spite the perfidious Yankees. Particularly Alberta, where we have cool and good importers who don't mind dealing with small importations if the quality is there.

Best regards,

A Canadian

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Ola posted:

High end, low volume stuff can just sell more in Europe and Asia. They won't have any problems.

It's not that easy to replace the world's biggest wine market. The US represents more than HALF of the revenue for some EU producers. And even if it's not that high of a percentage for some producers, if you're someone the size of Jadot, Moet, Mouton Cadet, etc., even a small percentage represents a LOT of wine to sell elsewhere.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

As someone living in Southeast Asia, anything that will potentially drive down prices of Old World wines or make those producers try to expand into more markets I will automatically favor.

LOL at the thought of Yellow Tail dodging the tariffs though.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I mean, good for my short term wine prices, not good when my distributors go bankrupt and the small shops that sell my wine go bust from supply issues.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
I don't think it's as simple as those saying it'll be good for domestic wines. Here's one of many prominent winery owners in California speaking out against the tariffs, Jason Haas of Tablas Creek.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
To your point I bet there will be a substitution effect away from wine altogether, which is bad for the whole industry :smith:

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

That's fair. I think the real damage will be more what GOOAT is getting at, that this will cause damage to the wine culture of the US as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
This is what I love about Trump: just when you think there’s some corner of human existence he can’t ruin with his stupidity and malevolence, BAM, there he goes! It’d actually be really impressive if it weren’t so frustrating.