Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

It’s weird and stupid that animation is considered a genre
it’s to separate it from proper films while letting the manchildren down gently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cavauro posted:

it was profoundly sad and funny when those one guys showed miyazaki their procedural animation or whatever it was, and he thought it was just making fun of people with disabilities, and that it was the worst thing he'd ever seen, absolutely destroying the hearts of those guys

miyazaki loving haaaaates any kind of new animation technology(or any kind of animation that isn't the old sweatshop style he likes) which is part of why he's such a nightmare to work for

this is also why he regularly shits on his son(who has done everything possible to try to connect with his father on some level)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjApJaXt_xU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

quote:

Miyazaki returned and watched the rest of the film. When it finished, he was asked for what he thought. He replied, “I saw my own child. He hasn’t become an adult. That’s all.”

Then, he paused and said, “It’s good that he made one movie. With that, he should stop [making movies].”

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

gainax > ghbli

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

What’s the worst movie to get nominated for best picture awards this year? My money is on Cats to get a GG nom somehow.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

yea ok posted:

gainax > ghbli

the ghibli employees are good imo, i'll give miyazaki any credit at all when he starts doing something besides smoking 20 packs a day and writing in his "My Son Is Useless" diary

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I should rewatch NGE for the new year. Not the Netflix version, obvs.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Spikegal posted:

Ok so maybe I just finished season 1 of The Witcher and now I want to play Witcher 3 what of it? WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE ME?!

I haven't watched it yet because I'm scared it'll make me replay the Witcher 3 100% all over AGAIN instead of playing one of the many other games I own and haven't gotten through yet (just picked up Hades, it rules).

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

He's right

But he doesn't realize that trash, such as anime and pro wrestling, is in fact good

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

all trash is someone's treasure.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Some trash is good because it treats the matter respectfully and earnestly like most Godzilla movies. Love em

Other trash is bad because it doesn't even care enough about its own continuity for you to be able to follow along for the ride like Rise of Skywalker.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Pulpy fiction is the highest form of fiction. Direct storytelling without all the pretense; pulp fiction does not lie to us and knows we are just poo poo-producing fleshbags made to orgasm and eat.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So Miyazaki is just Shinji's Dad. Got it.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Never forget that the guy who made Grave Of The Fireflies thinks the moral is "see what happens when you disrespect your elders".

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jiro posted:

So Miyazaki is just Shinji's Dad. Got it.

get in the robot goro

NienNunb posted:

Never forget that the guy who made Grave Of The Fireflies thinks the moral is "see what happens when you disrespect your elders".

it's always fun when you see these amazing visionary works and then it turns out the author's intent was some petty grudge or whatever

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The modern concept of Hell is heavily influenced by one Italian poet's petty grudges.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

the only good anime is angel's egg when you're tripping balls

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

What’s the worst movie to get nominated for best picture awards this year? My money is on Cats to get a GG nom somehow.

Paramount completely withdrew Cats from consideration.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

TTBF posted:

Cowards

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

takahata is a homie

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TTBF posted:

Euthanized it due to a mass case of Feline AAAAAAIIIIIIDDDSSSSSSS

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

NienNunb posted:

I would love to know where you've heard this because this is the first time I've seen it

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

TTBF posted:

Boooooo

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
Cats is the best movie ever made. why watch a movie that just does what every other movie does, when you can watch the most original movie of all time. there is no movie on earth that has this structuring or pacing or flow. Cats is like the first crustacean that realized it could become a formless parasite in the body of a hapless host fish. Cats doesn't care or understand what a movie is supposed to be, or what an audience expects, and gives you two hours of a sexual feline hurricane katrina that never explains itself or justifies its actions. Cats has killed movies and replaced them with something new. if you see only one movie this year, make sure you see Cats.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i really need to see cats

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm one of the people who only sees one movie every year and I think the film industry has been really unfaur to us for a lot of years. Ever since i've been alive, a lot of good or interesting movies come out very late in the year, long after i've seen a movie. It's high time for reform and for every film each year to be released on January 1. Then if you only see one movie every year you can make an informed selection right then, and everyone else can watch all of them throughout the year if they so desire, so no one is negatively affected.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Someone probably could say, "Why don't you wait until December 31 to see a movie? that's one day's difference for you," and I wouldn't respond to that at all. I'd report something like that because it's trolling

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

I would love to know where you've heard this because this is the first time I've seen it

"director Takahata repeatedly denied that the film was an anti-war anime. In his own words, "[The film] is not at all an anti-war anime and contains absolutely no such message." Instead, Takahata had intended to convey an image of the brother and sister living a failed life due to isolation from society and invoke sympathy particularly in people in their teens and twenties, whom he felt needed to straighten up and respect their elders for the pain and suffering they had experienced during arguably the darkest point in Japan's history."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grave_of_the_Fireflies?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf#Themes_and_analysis

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
whats your 2019 film cavauro?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Cavauro posted:

i'm one of the people who only sees one movie every year and I think the film industry has been really unfaur to us for a lot of years. Ever since i've been alive, a lot of good or interesting movies come out very late in the year, long after i've seen a movie. It's high time for reform and for every film each year to be released on January 1. Then if you only see one movie every year you can make an informed selection right then, and everyone else can watch all of them throughout the year if they so desire, so no one is negatively affected.

Why don't you wait until December 31 to see a movie? that's one day's difference for you

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Ok, but that really doesn't mean this

quote:

"see what happens when you disrespect your elders".

It means he thinks the youth of today should respect the pain and suffering the earlier generations went through. Takahata himself experienced the war.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Ok

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Zeta Acosta posted:

whats your 2019 film cavauro?

Ford v Ferrari

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
rush is better

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I didn't see that film as my film for the year back when it was released, and I only watch one per year, so maybe some day time machines will exist, for people like me. I imagine a lot of us are very intelligent and have high motivation for something like that coming into existence

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

My film in that year was called Pokémon the Movie: Genesect and the Legend Awakened

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Parasite was the best movie of the year and it wasn't even close, and if you disagree then you have a different subjective opinion to mine :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i feel very bad for hana, and would be predisposed to thinking of vivi as a bully or nuisance. however she's actually quite cool herself. i enjoyed the mature debate she had with tupas, and how she helped him. loveing yourself is very important, and even if you have not received much love before, recognizing the loving behaviors that you already express toward others should help give you the confidence you need to love anyone including yourself, even if you don't think you're very good at it or don't know how. cleaning for housemates. being considerate of them. tupas has a great capacity to love. you can do it tupas.