Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Uh excuse me, but I believe you are liking Wrong Thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sure, it's no...

*throws dart at Walking Simulator board*

...Death Stranding, but few things are

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
At this point I'd hardly rank Bloodborne in the top 5 PS4 games, graphically, unless you're purely talking about art style, and even then ehhhh it's great, but the best.

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

I don’t regret having paid full price but if I could have gotten it for some of the sale prices I’ve seen, I’d feel better about it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Trilla is pretty great. This game generally has much better characters and scenes than other AAA games, though admittedly that isn't exactly a big hurdle. It manages to avoid the constantly goofy feel that all dialogue in a game like Assassin's Creed Odyssey seems to have.

Zeffo is way too loving big tho. Jesus Christ. A fully zoomed out image of the full map for that zone is almost comical in its size and complexity.

Regarding the tomb on Zeffo, am I supposed to have any way to deal with the falling water in certain places yet? Near the end of this segment I swung over to this part where there were vines blocking the way but I couldn't burn them because there was water pouring in front of them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ytlaya posted:

Trilla is pretty great. This game generally has much better characters and scenes than other AAA games, though admittedly that isn't exactly a big hurdle. It manages to avoid the constantly goofy feel that all dialogue in a game like Assassin's Creed Odyssey seems to have.

Zeffo is way too loving big tho. Jesus Christ. A fully zoomed out image of the full map for that zone is almost comical in its size and complexity.

Regarding the tomb on Zeffo, am I supposed to have any way to deal with the falling water in certain places yet? Near the end of this segment I swung over to this part where there were vines blocking the way but I couldn't burn them because there was water pouring in front of them.

You never get something to affect the water.

As for that one in particular, look behind the vines for help.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This would’ve been an excellent $60 game 3-4 years ago, it’s a $30 game now IMO

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
Am I crazy or is Merrin the only person you really “recruit”? After she joined the team, an achievement popped up saying that I had recruited everyone, but I don’t recall anyone else ever being recruited. Is it maybe including the stowaway as part of that, since (I assume) that’s missable? It makes me wonder if, originally, they planned on having more side characters that you could get to join you, and maybe they ended up having to cut a lot of that back.

Speaking of the stowaway, does anything more ever happen with that? There was so much dialogue from Greez about finding it but it seems like there was never any closure on that. Maybe I just didn’t fly between planets enough to trigger the end of the storyline via dialogue?

Also, I wish they let you do something with the extra points you earn after completing the skill tree. Like, dumping a point or two into an already-earned skill to power it up or something. I remember Control had the same issue.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I figured that the thing you spoilered was a storyline that got dropped, but they couldn’t be bothered to go back and remove all references to it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
you can see it in the vent next to the couch and hear it squeak occasionally, but that was it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Wasn't there a whole collection of creatures to find? I only found the one before I went back to the main storyline, but I thought there was a counter or something suggesting there were more that'd be running around if you caught em.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It also can appear under the map table and duck behind the legs.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is this game worth $60 or not? I see a bunch of great reviews, bad reviews, and also reviews saying the previous two types of reviews are hyperbole.

It's good, but not quite $60 good. This game should have been $40. Unlike a From Software game where you have plenty of pathways to go through, different orders to fight bosses and the option for new game+ to allow for different endings or events, Fallen Order forgoes all of that and will always play the same every playthrough and it kinda kills a lot of the replayability. There's like... one place where you can deviate and get one upgrade early but that's it. For instance, I put 79 hours into Sekiro over several playthroughs seeing all endings and getting all of the achievements and I only put in 25 hours into Fallen Order for a single playthrough and didn't even bother for 100% because most things you can find in the world are completely worthless.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This game is absolutely worth $60 imo.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

It's good, but not quite $60 good. This game should have been $40. Unlike a From Software game where you have plenty of pathways to go through, different orders to fight bosses and the option for new game+ to allow for different endings or events, Fallen Order forgoes all of that and will always play the same every playthrough and it kinda kills a lot of the replayability. There's like... one place where you can deviate and get one upgrade early but that's it. For instance, I put 79 hours into Sekiro over several playthroughs seeing all endings and getting all of the achievements and I only put in 25 hours into Fallen Order for a single playthrough and didn't even bother for 100% because most things you can find in the world are completely worthless.

This is completely correct. I bought it full price when it came out because I was itching for something new to play, but there are so many gaps where they were unable to finish storylines or features. It’s clearly just a shell of the game they wanted to make and was pushed out because of a deadline. A lot like Rise of Skywalker actually :smug:

It’s good but it’s $40 good. It’s a 20 hour game with minimal replay value. The likely sequel should be full price good.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
My friend and I are Let's Playing this, and as I'm watching his run, it's decently different than mine because I made him skip Dathomir. But also because I think I went right to the underground after completing the first Zeffo tomb, and he instead went and got the scomp link immediately, which is letting him go into the imperial base, which I didn't even know you could do that early. I don't think I got the scomp link until one of my last few upgrades, like right before or after the double jump. I distinctly remember being unable to open locked chests for the longest time.

Point being, I think the game is less linear than it seems, it's just that most of the paths you take seem one way, so it appears that there is no way forward other than the one you're already on.

Aquasnake fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 29, 2019

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm a world where Steam sales routinely put some of the most interesting games ever made it there for $10, I'm not sure anything should be a $60 game any more. Something like the Witcher 3 maybe, but it has to be a masterpiece of it's genre.

This just feels like every AAA game I've ever played.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/9_volt_/status/1211060319679926275?s=21

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lookit this fool who hasn't found the pink poncho

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The fact that games are only $60 to begin with considering the amount of work and number of man hours put into them, on top of how many hours you get out of them, is kinda crazy. I mean, people routinely pay $20 to go see a movie in IMAX 3D and that's only 2 hours and you're just sitting there watching. A 20 hour game where you're engaged and having fun for over 80% of it and it costs $40-60 is actually a ridiculously good deal by that logic. It's also why hours of length is a lovely metric... Super Metroid can be beaten in under 3 hours, it's still one of the best 2D games ever made, as an example, and was totally worth the $60 price tag in 1992 when it came out. If you enjoyed it, it was worth it, regardless of length or linearity.

This game is worth $60, whether it's worth YOUR $60 depends entirely on whether you like this sort of game and/or how snooty and obnoxious/up your own rear end you are.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Aquasnake posted:

My friend and I are Let's Playing this, and as I'm watching his run, it's decently different than mine because I made him skip Dathomir. But also because I think I went right to the underground after completing the first Zeffo tomb, and he instead went and got the scomp link immediately, which is letting him go into the imperial base, which I didn't even know you could do that early. I don't think I got the scomp link until one of my last few upgrades, like right before or after the double jump. I distinctly remember being unable to open locked chests for the longest time.

Point being, I think the game is less linear than it seems, it's just that most of the paths you take seem one way, so it appears that there is no way forward other than the one you're already on.

I want to get the scomp link as early as possible. Just started Zeffo. Can you give some relatively spoiler-free directions?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lookit this fool who hasn't found the pink poncho

Pink Vader was too much, but Pink Poncho+Saber is the better combo anyway

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I think the ponchos all look dumb and have just been wearing the all-black outfit the whole game.

It would have been so much cooler with better aesthetics/skins. The Imperial outfit you wear in that one short part is easily the coolest-looking thing in the whole game.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SirSamVimes posted:

I’m happy having paid $60. It’s a really fun game, probably fun enough for me to 100%. Challenging but not punishing. That moment when the combat really clicks is great. And I want more like it, so spending money on it sends the message that there’s a market for good, single-player Star Wars games without any loot box bullshit.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I felt like the game was a bit too short with repetitive platforming elements to be worth $60 to me, but I really wanted to play some good star wars stuff and I have confidence that they could make a good sequel out of this. Probably shouldve done that sub for $15 tho.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Chill Penguin posted:

I want to get the scomp link as early as possible. Just started Zeffo. Can you give some relatively spoiler-free directions?

And I am now lost on Zeffo.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Chill Penguin posted:

And I am now lost on Zeffo.

Have you completed the tomb? Once you do that you can “open” some doors on Zeffo that were closed to you before. They will turn to green from red on the overhead map. The link is behind one of those.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chill Penguin posted:

After doing the thing you first go to Zeffo for, there are two ways to leave, one more clearly pointed at than the other (the one you want). Follow the wind to a ramp leading back to a checkpoint you've visited before (the other way is a ramp to ice caves) and there's a door right there that needs the new stuff you have. Behind that door is a tower to climb, the scomp link is inside there.

If instead of the tower you start headed towards a command center with a large landing pad, you've passed it. The door is right next to a swarm of about 5-6 troopers.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Midniter posted:

I think the ponchos all look dumb and have just been wearing the all-black outfit the whole game.

It would have been so much cooler with better aesthetics/skins. The Imperial outfit you wear in that one short part is easily the coolest-looking thing in the whole game.

I was kidding earlier, but pink is the only poncho color I actually liked enough to wear (and coordinate with the saber, obvs). It sucks that the unchangeable plain outfit is cooler than pretty much any collectible you find, meaningful outfit changes are honestly right up with fast travel in terms of things I can't believe aren't in the game.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anyone know why Origin would recognize my DS4 when it's connected by USB, but not when it's connected by bluetooth? Not a special bluetooth dongle or anything like that, just a standard USB dongle that provides bluetooth to my stationary computer.

With a USB cable it works without DS4Windows, and I'd love to keep it like that because DS4Windows is really acting up on bluetooth.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I used Steam Big Picture to play wirelessly with a DS4, but I also use the Sony USB DS4 Wireless adaptor.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
I paid 50 for FO and was pretty happy with it. I paid 60 for Outer Worlds and I'm still mad about that one

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Fiddling with steam settings made the controller work better with DS4Windows, but it's kinda bad compared to just wiring it up.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
So I picked this up on sale over the weekend and its interesting, but man I hate the parrying system. I can pretty reliably land a parry with most enemies and get the flash and stagger, but even if their block stamina drops to zero its like I can't get a solid hit in after that; I still have to wear everything down with mosquito bites. At what point does this become a proper light saber, because right now it feels like I'm beating most enemies to death with a baseball bat.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Indiana_Krom posted:

So I picked this up on sale over the weekend and its interesting, but man I hate the parrying system. I can pretty reliably land a parry with most enemies and get the flash and stagger, but even if their block stamina drops to zero its like I can't get a solid hit in after that; I still have to wear everything down with mosquito bites. At what point does this become a proper light saber, because right now it feels like I'm beating most enemies to death with a baseball bat.

The combat never really feels good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

JBP posted:

nah it feels great against humanoid enemies

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I had the same problem starting the game and posted about it in the thread. Basically you have to treat the lightsaber as a bit of a baseball bat. You need to be relentless, brutal and unyielding, hitting the enemy from every angle until you get the tools to create the openings you need. What you can't parry, you block, and you block until you can rain plasma upon the enemy anew. It ain't an elegant weapon for a more civilized age, it's just a slab of superheated matter.

With that mindset, the combat got a lot more fun.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

JBP posted:

It'll feel better if you clean out your console. Get some canned air or something

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Black Griffon posted:

I had the same problem starting the game and posted about it in the thread. Basically you have to treat the lightsaber as a bit of a baseball bat. You need to be relentless, brutal and unyielding, hitting the enemy from every angle until you get the tools to create the openings you need. What you can't parry, you block, and you block until you can rain plasma upon the enemy anew. It ain't an elegant weapon for a more civilized age, it's just a slab of superheated matter.

With that mindset, the combat got a lot more fun.

That's how I played, but the combat is still weak. It lacks the depth of similar titles and being that it's a light saber with no weight to it, it tends to feel weak. Also all of the force abilities you get and bonus moves suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It is absolute bullshit that you cannot unlock the Inquisitor outfit.

I would absolutely wear that all game.