Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Chokes McGee posted:

hold ice in one hand, switch when it gets unbearable

seriously, it helps

neat ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

seriously, it helps

doctors hate him

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Chokes McGee posted:

seriously, it helps

I've never heard of this before but I can totally get how it helps

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
If they're closing CSpam we should petition to have this thread moved. This is a good thread that people need.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zeroisanumber posted:

If they're closing CSpam we should petition to have this thread moved. This is a good thread that people need.

THey're not closing cspam, everyone calm down :rolleyes:

GlassLotus
Mar 16, 2014

I once got a fortune cookie that said "Ask your mom". I've also gotten several blank fortune cookies... I guess that explains why I'm broke.

Chokes McGee posted:

seriously, it helps

I used to have a palm-sized flat, rounded piece of jade I would hold in my palm and flip over repeatedly for hours on end when stressed and it always worked best when I'd left it on a cold window sill. Was very useful for trying to stop my brain's babble when trying to fall asleep.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

GlassLotus posted:

I used to have a palm-sized flat, rounded piece of jade I would hold in my palm and flip over repeatedly for hours on end when stressed and it always worked best when I'd left it on a cold window sill. Was very useful for trying to stop my brain's babble when trying to fall asleep.

Yup, anything cold you can hold onto works.

The cold shock is something my last therapist taught me for aborting panic attacks and I'll be goddamned if it doesn't work!

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Chokes McGee posted:

THey're not closing cspam, everyone calm down :rolleyes:

I agree, but sometimes i wonder what would happen if SA finally shut down. Would cspam move to a different forum? Where?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Discord probably.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

cool dance moves posted:

I agree, but sometimes i wonder what would happen if SA finally shut down. Would cspam move to a different forum? Where?

There's always NCTV, but that's more of a chillpost hangout zone that does events and not so much a forums for posting. I assume an offsite would spring up somewhere but it probably wouldn't last.

that being said it's absolutely pointless to speculate over because that is such a catastrophic event that any plans you could make for it would be upended so easily that it's not worth spending processing power on

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
how synch tube hasnt caught on for like slack and discord blows me away. like it's simple and easy and it's fun to shitpost with your friends about movies. patent that poo poo.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I didn't donate money to the new spine fund so that I'd have to find a whole new community less than a year later.

OK Boomer
Sep 2, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thread:

thanks for your encouragement. I stopped drinking the day before yesterday and I'm doing fine. I just picked up 7 week old trash out of my apartment and took my hoarded garbage (FIVE BAGS) to the apartment dumpster

an old friend invited me out to a Chanuka gathering with an average age of 65 and I forced myself to go. I forgot how funny I am and that people like being around me

I'm going to send helpme texts to all my old friends begging to invite me to any gathering, no matter how obscure, and I'm going to go no matter what

I think that perhaps having fun and telling jokes at these events I might even (finally) get a job.

Thank you all.

THOT PATROL
Nov 16, 2017

Chokes McGee posted:

Yup, anything cold you can hold onto works.

The cold shock is something my last therapist taught me for aborting panic attacks and I'll be goddamned if it doesn't work!

mammalian diving reflex ftw :hai:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

OK Boomer posted:

thread:

thanks for your encouragement. I stopped drinking the day before yesterday and I'm doing fine. I just picked up 7 week old trash out of my apartment and took my hoarded garbage (FIVE BAGS) to the apartment dumpster

an old friend invited me out to a Chanuka gathering with an average age of 65 and I forced myself to go. I forgot how funny I am and that people like being around me

I'm going to send helpme texts to all my old friends begging to invite me to any gathering, no matter how obscure, and I'm going to go no matter what

I think that perhaps having fun and telling jokes at these events I might even (finally) get a job.

Thank you all.

Another mental health thread success story :hai:

I still miss booze to this day, and it's hard to be around it and would honestly probably relapse if I didn't have my wife looking after me at most social events. But, I feel tremendously better without it than with. That's the problem with alcohol and mental illness: it's never an immediate reaction, but it settles in a few days after, and there's enough time between the two that you never directly associate it.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

OK Boomer posted:

Thank you all.

Congratulations, friend. :unsmith: I want to say more stuff to cheer you on, but my words won't come out, so I'll leave it at saying that we all support you and are happy you are doing better.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

OK Boomer posted:

thread:

Thank you all.

Sweet! Keep it up!

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Chokes McGee posted:

That's the problem with alcohol and mental illness: it's never an immediate reaction, but it settles in a few days after, and there's enough time between the two that you never directly associate it.

Yeah, it's the worst, and it took me way too long to associate a binge with the feelings I would get 24-48 hours after. I would put down a couple bottles of wine on Friday, then wonder why I couldn't get thoughts about my loved ones dying out of my mind on Sunday. Alcohol is the most insidious depressant drug I've ever used.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Every time I talk to people who drink I am glad for my continued distaste for alcohol and being drunk. I'll stick to weed.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Chokes McGee posted:

Another mental health thread success story :hai:

I still miss booze to this day, and it's hard to be around it and would honestly probably relapse if I didn't have my wife looking after me at most social events. But, I feel tremendously better without it than with. That's the problem with alcohol and mental illness: it's never an immediate reaction, but it settles in a few days after, and there's enough time between the two that you never directly associate it.

my therapist explained some sort of double smash hit of the booze ramping up the good feelings and then sucking them all out during the hangover and after. she used science terms like serotonin and stuff but it was very helpful

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Consummate Professional posted:

my therapist explained some sort of double smash hit of the booze ramping up the good feelings and then sucking them all out during the hangover and after. she used science terms like serotonin and stuff but it was very helpful

dr. mariana marijuana horchata pepsi van dyke once told me the mechanism by which MDMA works (dumps all the serotonin in your brain RIGHT loving NOw and then there's none left after) and it wouldn't surprise me if alcohol worked the same way to a lesser degree

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Chokes McGee posted:

dr. mariana marijuana horchata pepsi van dyke once told me the mechanism by which MDMA works (dumps all the serotonin in your brain RIGHT loving NOw and then there's none left after) and it wouldn't surprise me if alcohol worked the same way to a lesser degree

most drugs work that way

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Get some hearts going in the chat

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

That loving rules, dickeye. The job, not the turmo. best of luck, it seems like a much nicer gig

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I was talking to one of my regulars this morning who works at the parent company, which isn't union,and his take was "job sucks, don't do it if you have kids because they'll gently caress you around, but it makes bank" so, I'm cautiously optimistic

The only thing I'm worried about is my insurance changing and having to change therapists

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Get some hearts going in the chat

hell yeah

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I had a really stressful day today, bringing my mom into the hospital to have a G-J tube put in. Her blood sugar was 389 (normal is 80-120) and they had to hydrate her and regularly inject insulin to bring her sugar down to a safe operating range. It took 7 hours, but they did it and successfully inserted the G tube. They're going to wait three weeks to make sure she's OK before putting in the J tube and I'm probably going to have to take FMLA time to take care of her, but I have ~70 days of FMLA eligible leave so whatever.

So, despite lovely news and the fact that my mom will likely never going to be able to eat solid food again, things are pretty good considering she was diagnosed with Stage IV Pancreatic cancer and estimated to have a few weeks left in April 2017.

Chokes McGee posted:

hell yah. I just grabbed it and will put it in the op if it looks good.
:tiphat:

OK Boomer posted:

thread:

Thank you all.
Dude, you just went from here [puts hand on floor] to here [hand at head height, wiggling fingers]. Get a paper calendar. Mark this day on your calendar with a big smiley face and pin that page by your new calendar and any time you feel yourself sliding back, draw a big arrow from that day to the next day, and try to make it worth drawing a smiley face tomorrow.

Consummate Professional posted:

Alcohol is really complicated and fucks with GABA primarily, then robs you of your dopamine while suppressing serotonin transport.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Interview at 3 on Friday

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Interview at 3 on Friday

good luck!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Between my wife having an emotional breakdown after her first session of EMDR and the admins refusing to even listen to the effortposts we're putting in, I'm having a real normal one this morning

how are you guys

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Chokes McGee posted:

Between my wife having an emotional breakdown after her first session of EMDR and the admins refusing to even listen to the effortposts we're putting in, I'm having a real normal one this morning

how are you guys

I need to get some EMDR eventually. It was the therapy that did the best for my mom's PTSD. But yeah, it usually jiggles some stuff open. Hoping the best for your wife, I think it's ultimately a good thing though.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Probably Magic posted:

I need to get some EMDR eventually. It was the therapy that did the best for my mom's PTSD. But yeah, it usually jiggles some stuff open. Hoping the best for your wife, I think it's ultimately a good thing though.

I agree but she is not taking it well and is clearly unable to continue with it at this time.

I'm super worried about her.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

yo the seasons changed and it's been one long depressive episode since. fuckin

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

hello i hope wife mcchokes feels better :(

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

juche avocado posted:

hello i hope wife mcchokes feels better :(

ty me too

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Chokes McGee posted:

I agree but she is not taking it well and is clearly unable to continue with it at this time.

I'm super worried about her.

I'm sorry. :( I hope everything works out.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chokes McGee posted:

how are you guys

Interview Friday and I'm hoping, I'm really hoping

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Interview Friday and I'm hoping, I'm really hoping

go get em :)

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Please take care as best as you can, everybody. Get some sleep, if at all possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If you stay up past midnight you won't sleep until the next decade. Think about it.