Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

SlyFrog posted:

Do people play this with keyboard and mouse? I really can't imagine playing this for long without a gamepad.

I play with mouse and keyboard and played like 6 hours straight when I first bought it with no problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

kaschei posted:

I bet the people who can’t stand the default bow or Exagryph are stuck without a point and click interface!

There's aim assistance for ranged weapons on gamepads. Sometimes it's annoying when I actually don't want to aim at something, but for the most part it makes using those weapons a breeze.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

How does Artemis double cast boon interact with Hera bow?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kaschei posted:

How does Artemis double cast boon interact with Hera bow?

splendidly!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Aphrodite's pink shotgun blast is one of the better casts, too, especially with the Hera bow.

Really? I used Aphro's cast with Hera bow and found it awful, it almost seemed buggy awful in that sometimes it seemed to work v well but most of the time it was a wet fart. I've had way more success with other casts like Poison Bog, Ares blade, or even chain lightning. I regretted it the whole run and should have purged it because it was just not working for poo poo.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Well, I think I've about experienced 99% of what the game has to offer at the moment after 60 hours. Can't wait for the next update. It really scratched the action RPG itch that so few games can satisfy for me nowadays. This and Wizard of Legend are pretty much it. I wish I could find one that controlled similarly to those, but were more traditional and less rogue-y in terms of character progression/permanence.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Xaris posted:

Really? I used Aphro's cast with Hera bow and found it awful, it almost seemed buggy awful in that sometimes it seemed to work v well but most of the time it was a wet fart. I've had way more success with other casts like Poison Bog, Ares blade, or even chain lightning. I regretted it the whole run and should have purged it because it was just not working for poo poo.

The bow is buggy as poo poo, it seems, if the thread and my own observations are anything to go on. Sometimes it doesn't fire off all the casts and the UI gets confused. But when it works, it's really good. The reason I like the Aphrodite cast in particular is because it can deliver a lot of burst damage to a lot of foes at the same time, hopefully killing them, and dropping the bloodstones in a convenient location to pick up and repeat. Dionysus's fog and Ares's blade whirl lock your bloodstones up for so long and a lot of the time ends up being spent not hitting enemies when all you want to do is cast, recover, repeat. Plus, you miss out on taking advantage of the second ability on the bow if you never embed any bloodstones. On bosses it's even worse, as you miss out on the +50% damage dealt to enemies with bloodstones in them with those spells (not that you necessarily do a lot of Attack damage with the Hera bow anyway; it's mostly a delivery vehicle for your casts). Plus, cutting a boss's damage in half with the Weak debuff is real good, and some of the boons you can get make Weak enemies take more damage, which really makes the shotgun work.

Poseidon's cast is pretty good too, but it has a tendency to knock enemies away too much and his other boons are not very synergistic with the bow gameplay. I'm not terribly fond of Zeus, it performs so badly against single targets and against multiple targets you end up with your stones all over the place again. Now Artemis, there's a good one. More ammo for your casts, Exit Wounds to take advantage of the low stone drop time, double spellcasts and extra random arrows with all your casts. Slamming eight Aphrodite shotguns at the same time into a boss or group of enemies deals a shitload of damage.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

kaschei posted:

I bet the people who can’t stand the default bow or Exagryph are stuck without a point and click interface!

I found those fine with a gamepad

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

A Cup of Ramen posted:

I play with mouse and keyboard and played like 6 hours straight when I first bought it with no problems.

Wow. My biggest issue was the movement. The keyboard seems so clumsy, particularly sloppy for diagonal movement.

It's been a long time since I played Robotron on an Apple II.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Game is essentially a twin stick shooter, it's really no problem playing those with KB/M.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

gandlethorpe posted:

Well, I think I've about experienced 99% of what the game has to offer at the moment after 60 hours. Can't wait for the next update. It really scratched the action RPG itch that so few games can satisfy for me nowadays. This and Wizard of Legend are pretty much it. I wish I could find one that controlled similarly to those, but were more traditional and less rogue-y in terms of character progression/permanence.

You gently caress with hyper light drifter? Might still be too progressiony, idk.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

ILL Machina posted:

You gently caress with hyper light drifter? Might still be too progressiony, idk.

I did play a bit of that a few years ago and liked it. I should pick it back up and finish it, but I'm honestly a little afraid to have to re-learn wtf is going on again. I've got a backlog of similar indie games I need to finish. But I wouldn't say they're particularly the kind of gameplay I'm craving.

I think I want something that, like Hades, is about killing progressively stronger hordes of mobs and perfecting your build. But the only other games I can think of like that are Diablo/PoE/Titan Quest and I can't stand the point-to-click controls.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Risk of Rain 2?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Woo finally got my first win last night after 11 or so hours and getting so close too many times. I'm stoked, but it felt like the shield was doing everything during Hades' final phase; blocking all of those beams is really silly. Aphrodite's call snaps him out of any of the channeled attacks as well. The extra 3x cast Artemis Legendary and faster cast drop really helped too. Super fun game, really loving the differences between the weapons. Glad the devs let 1 Heat be enough to get more Titan Blood or w/e they're called for the Aspect upgrades.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Managed to stack enough damage resistance and weakening effects to practically facetank the last boss. I mostly spent the second phase mashing attack without bothering to move.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ragnar34 posted:

Managed to stack enough damage resistance and weakening effects to practically facetank the last boss. I mostly spent the second phase mashing attack without bothering to move.

Yeah Myrmidon Bracer trinket (40% DR) + 15% DR + 29% DR from standing in Poison Bog, ontop of Athena Guard Dash, with 315 HP, was a loving crazy run.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Meg don't bitch about me using the Mirror of Night when you bring your sisters to every fight we have now

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

CharlestonJew posted:

Meg don't bitch about me using the Mirror of Night when you bring your sisters to every fight we have now

I do love that the devs realised you were gonna see that first boss a shitload so gave it a shitload of permutations.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

CharlestonJew posted:

Apparently they patched in dialogue so that if you beat Meg with no mirror buffs active after she talks about this, she will acknowledge it the next time you speak

I tried, but after like four runs of zero darkness I never saw meg as the boss and eventually I cared more about actually clearing some runs than I did proving my skill

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Meiteron posted:

Apparently they patched in dialogue so that if you beat Meg with no mirror buffs active after she talks about this, she will acknowledge it the next time you speak

I tried, but after like four runs of zero darkness I never saw meg as the boss and eventually I cared more about actually clearing some runs than I did proving my skill

I'm surprised she doesn't make more excuses. You do still have god boons and centaur hearts.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

gandlethorpe posted:

I did play a bit of that a few years ago and liked it. I should pick it back up and finish it, but I'm honestly a little afraid to have to re-learn wtf is going on again. I've got a backlog of similar indie games I need to finish. But I wouldn't say they're particularly the kind of gameplay I'm craving.

I think I want something that, like Hades, is about killing progressively stronger hordes of mobs and perfecting your build. But the only other games I can think of like that are Diablo/PoE/Titan Quest and I can't stand the point-to-click controls.

Does it need to be hack and slash? Slay the spire is the only other recent thing I've cracked out like this to. This game feels like isometric rogue legacy imo.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 30, 2019

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

ILL Machina posted:

Does it need to be hack and slash? Slay the spire is the only other recent thing I've cracked out like this to. This game feels like isometric rogue legacy imo.

That's been on my list of games to get into, and this endorsement will probably push me into getting it before the sale ends. But it's not quite the void I'm trying to fill. I definitely want something actiony, H&S, and all that jazz that makes you feel godlike when crushing hordes of monsters, but with more character permanence. I've played tons of great action games, but lately they're all doing the Rogue Legacy "get as far as you can with one life" thing, whereas I want to make tons of alts with different builds for however I'm feeling. D3 does give that visceral satisfaction, but the controls aren't twitchy enough, and the same goes for its progeny. Has no one really thought to make a Diablo clone with tighter controls? (except Westwood 20 years ago, RIP)

I guess I could just pick GW2 back up to satisfy my altoholism until the Trials of Mana remake comes out.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

If you're struggling for Titan Blood and can't beat Hades (reliably) selling your boons in Styx for a guaranteed Diamond or Titan's Blood can eke out a few extras. Obviously, this can make defeating Hades more difficult. But hey, that's what the shield's for!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

At 5 heat, I just maxed out time limit on the pact of punishment, and it became a "speedrun" of sorts.

Pretty sure you can still blow my time away by at least 5 minutes but quite happy with this. All the criticals!

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

That seems crazy to me, but I'm bad at this game. I just got my first two clears back to back, both within 7s length @ 49 min. For what it's worth I have more darkness, but only a couple lvl 1 weapon upgrades.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Picked this up a few days ago and haven't been able to put it down. I just unlocked the ability to upgrade my weapons, but I haven't spent any of the Titan Blood because I don't know if it's refundable like Darkness or permanent. Also I get really bad frame drops in the 2nd and 3rd floors (haven't made it further than that yet). Any fixes for that? My PC is will beyond the recommended specs.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lester Shy posted:

Picked this up a few days ago and haven't been able to put it down. I just unlocked the ability to upgrade my weapons, but I haven't spent any of the Titan Blood because I don't know if it's refundable like Darkness or permanent. Also I get really bad frame drops in the 2nd and 3rd floors (haven't made it further than that yet). Any fixes for that? My PC is will beyond the recommended specs.

Titan's blood upgrades are permanent.

I used my early blood on unlocking all weapon aspects and then upgrading the ones that seemed to benefit from it the most (like the Chiron bow)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Andrast posted:

Titan's blood upgrades are permanent.

I used my early blood on unlocking all weapon aspects and then upgrading the ones that seemed to benefit from it the most (like the Chiron bow)

Yeah Chiron Bow is godly when maxed, but pretty poo poo otherwise. When you get that +4 Special shots from Daedelus, +100% special damage, +special damage from chaos, +special speed from Hermes, and Auto-Attack (it helps keeping the Chiron target-selection applied while being mobile), 2 debuffs with +50% damage from Mirror to debuffed targets, it's just disgusting how fast you utterly delete everything with impunity and can just shoot around walls. It's pretty reliable even with mismatched boons, though certainly helps to at least get several of those.

I kind of feel I wasted all my blood trying to max out Zeus Aspect on the Shield, it's fine, but it's sometimes hard to tell how much it's actually contributing and iffy procc-ing. I think I'd have been better served with Chaos Shields.

Can't go wrong maxing out Poisedon Sword even though it's good at Lvl1. Spear is probably my least used weapon (which I used to use all the time back in very early EA) so I don't really know what's worth pumping other than Achilles seems like the only thing worth a drat.

I've dabbled a little bit in the Railgun Aspects but not much. I tried the the +Dmg% while under Special, but at it's low level its +12% is iffy and it's semi-hard to tell if it's applied and for how long, plus not always optimal to dash into your Special when you're keeping the distance. It generally feels like the +ammo might be better just to round it out. I didn't really like the bonus after reloading but maybe it's good maxed?

Xaris fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 30, 2019

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Maxed Hestia Rail + Artemis Dash Attack is the most powerful combo in the game, fight me if you're wrong about this.

It's not worth playing "bolt action" style at lower ranks, and if you don't get the boon offers you want it's important to remember that you can keep shooting the drat thing (also against the rats in Styx), but at 150 base damage a lot of enemies just... evaporate. If you can get a source of crit and Artemis dash you will see damage numbers over 1000, 1500 if everything goes right (this might require Distant Memory).

It's a bit like if the bow always powershot and you could move around and cast while charging it. But then you add 50 base damage on top of that and it "charges" really fast.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I really like this game, but it really dislikes my AMD-based PC. It shouldn't lag as much as it does on a Ryzen 5 2600 and a RX580, Elysium and the stupid Hydra are basically running at 20FPS.

Oh well. Maybe next patch it's gonna be ok?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I hadn't touched the game since June and finally got the itch to play again, managed to make it to the 2nd and then 3rd bosses for the first time today! Killed 3rd boss once so far but got destroyed by a room full of exploding rats immediately after. Is the last zone all tight little corridors like that because that makes my strategy of max range bowmanship not terribly functional.

I thought the fakeout with 'prepare yourself' when you run into Cerberus was really funny.

I'm still a few keys short of unlocking the last weapon so I have been doing everything with the base bow, it just sorta speaks to me. Hoping once I get to use the upgrades I've been banking things get a little smoother.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Dias posted:

I really like this game, but it really dislikes my AMD-based PC. It shouldn't lag as much as it does on a Ryzen 5 2600 and a RX580, Elysium and the stupid Hydra are basically running at 20FPS.

That sounds like something is actually wrong with your system. This game is really, really easy to run. Is everything else running the way it should?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Dias posted:

I have the exact same hardware and get terrible FPS drops in Asphodel and Elysium. It seems like it gets worse when I take damage.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

There's a slow down effect when you take damage. You're probably noticing the explosions.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So for the Temple of Styx...is there any way to know which one is the correct chamber?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
In my experience it's always the third chamber if it's normal, or the next chamber after the third you take if the third one is an elite room.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

It is never a boss chamber, I don’t know any way to improve the odds beyond one in three.

Edit: I may have been assuming randomness where there was none...

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I've gotten it on the first chamber before though. Also got it in a boss chamber once, but only once, in 31 runs.

It's the main thing that adds time when blasting through the game, so I was wondering if there's a way to tell.

I do believe it's weighted to a non-boss room at least.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Artelier posted:

I've gotten it on the first chamber before though. Also got it in a boss chamber once, but only once, in 31 runs.

It's the main thing that adds time when blasting through the game, so I was wondering if there's a way to tell.

I do believe it's weighted to a non-boss room at least.

I'm surprised it could even be a boss chamber, it feels like it's always not. I got lucky with my Speed Run Pact but I think I would have been up poo poo creek if I had to go through most of them to find the right one. Would rather the Hades fight has it's own timer at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is this game good if you don't like Diablo 2 style ARPG?