Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

We already knew he could do Ford because he dubbed him in a bad lip reading of Episode 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv_hGITmNuo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

RBA Starblade posted:

What in the gently caress

Harry Knowles was really hosed up. I say "was" because I no longer have to read his weird hosed up view points. I'm sure he's still somewhere being weird and hosed up, but it doesn't cross my path anymore.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Colonel Whitey posted:

Mandalorian is an okay show but it’s a shame about the main character.

I'm only 2 episodes in, but does he ever unmask? His costume and posture/movement aren't exactly expressive.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Blood Boils posted:

I'm only 2 episodes in, but does he ever unmask? His costume and posture/movement aren't exactly expressive.

He unmasks himself precisely once in the 4th episode

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Neo Rasa posted:

Sorry I missed this person's name and reviews being mentioned and so didn't post the obligatory review content til now, forget about Blade 2:

:trumppop:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Captain Splendid posted:

He unmasks himself precisely once in the 4th episode

Also in the finale a droid unmasks him to give him medical aid

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

PostNouveau posted:

Also in the finale a droid unmasks him to give him medical aid

I was trying to keep that bit secret...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Captain Splendid posted:

I was trying to keep that bit secret...

That's what spoiler tags are for

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The point is that the actor never gets a chance to emote or convey anything at all. Mando remains a boring emotionless appliance at least through episode 6 (haven't seen the rest yet). It's like if you took the Man With No Name and told Clint Eastwood he could have zero charisma, put a helmet on him, and gave him no good lines. Tough job for the actor, that one's on the bad writing.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Gonna agree with an earlier post that said you don't hire Pedro Pascal to put on a helmet your entire show. I think it could be a thing that changes in the coming seasons.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Cheaper to have him just do a voice.

I think he tried to claim it was him the whole time in the suit but then Amy Sedaris was like "Nah I never worked with him once. It was a body double in the suit the whole time."

Now that it's a hit maybe they can pay him for some actual screen time. It's definitely super dumb to have the super charismatic guy wear a helmet the whole time. That would be like putting Kerri Russell in a helmet for all her appearances!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Just saying, for future proofing they cast Pedro Pascal for when he inevitably becomes helmetless. Finish the season and get back to me! Besides what happens with the IG, Moff Gideon knows his true identity so I think things are pointing toward him not always being in a helmet. Which is cool, because Pedro Pascal is cool!

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 30, 2019

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

It's also kind of a problem because so many of the fans think the helmet is really cool and it's iconic so they can't lose it entirely. Taking him out of the helmet makes him just a guy in armor, not a badass mandalorian (at least I think that's how fans will see it).

For the same reasons it puzzles me that JJ put Kylo back in the helmet. Adam Driver is so loving dynamic and interesting to watch, and you have him hide his performance in a helmet for half the movie or more. Rian Johnson solved that problem in a very cool way but no, JJ needs Kylo to look how he designed him. Just bleh.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I think JJ had him masked because he wanted Not-Vader, which works IF you are interested in maintaining a mystery around the character. Like, if you get glimpses of the character outside of the mask, like we do with Vader and his hosed up head and face. That all gets thrown out the window if you have him unmasked in the first part of your trilogy, and you present him as a Sith LARP-er. :shrug:

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

I think JJ had him masked because he wanted Not-Vader, which works IF you are interested in maintaining a mystery around the character. Like, if you get glimpses of the character outside of the mask, like we do with Vader and his hosed up head and face. That all gets thrown out the window if you have him unmasked in the first part of your trilogy, and you present him as a Sith LARP-er. :shrug:

Yeah, there's no thematic reason to put him back in the helmet, it's just "I like the way it looks" which tbh is the ethos behind JJ's entire approach to filmmaking. "I like the way it looks/feels" without any regard to theme, character, or message.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah, there's no thematic reason to put him back in the helmet, it's just "I like the way it looks" which tbh is the ethos behind JJ's entire approach to filmmaking. "I like the way it looks/feels" without any regard to theme, character, or message.

JJ likes showing moments, but he doesn't always put in the necessary storytelling to build toward them. Starkiller Base blowing up seemingly random planets is a great example. It's a cool scene seeing energy beams tear across space while victims and bystanders watch. It's bad and scary, but confusing because it lacks context. We don't know why those planets are the ones that are targeted, or even if they are planets we're familiar with (are they Coruscant, Corellia, X-tooine?). It also doesn't carry as much weight as the Death Star blowing up Alderaan. The OT sets it up with Tarkin looking for a suitable planet to test out his new toy, uses the threat of blowing the planet up to get Leia to seemingly betray her allies, and then he proceeds to blow it up anyway. We never see the planet or any of the people living there, but the movie lays the story groundwork to establish its importance.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Mandalorian has plenty of fan service but it feels more like the writers/directors playing around with Star Wars without the pressure to create The Next Great Saga. Even if Rian Johnson had a bit more freedom on Last Jedi than Disney normally allows, he still had to deliver the serious middle chapter to a big sweeping epic and he's working in that formula. Mando feels like "Okay, we're doing Lone Wolf and Cub, also with a bit of a Western vibe, the baby is a tiny Yoda, and we're in negotiations for Nick Nolte to play an Ugnaught." I don't know the actual story behind its development, obviously everything had to go through layers of approvals, but it feels organic.

A bit of a western vibe? It’s 100% western. Not criticizing just pointing out. Western is a very good genre so it of course works.

Also it’s Favreau whom Iger loves so he probably had free reign to do whatever he wanted.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

JJ likes showing moments, but he doesn't always put in the necessary storytelling to build toward them. Starkiller Base blowing up seemingly random planets is a great example. It's a cool scene seeing energy beams tear across space while victims and bystanders watch. It's bad and scary, but confusing because it lacks context. We don't know why those planets are the ones that are targeted, or even if they are planets we're familiar with (are they Coruscant, Corellia, X-tooine?). It also doesn't carry as much weight as the Death Star blowing up Alderaan. The OT sets it up with Tarkin looking for a suitable planet to test out his new toy, uses the threat of blowing the planet up to get Leia to seemingly betray her allies, and then he proceeds to blow it up anyway. We never see the planet or any of the people living there, but the movie lays the story groundwork to establish its importance.

Yeah, on a purely emotional level as a kid I thought "oh my God that's her home!!" The whole buildup to it escalates so well but even when it's happening it's a "they wouldn't do this would they? Eliminate an entire planet?"

Then Obi Wan feeling it from across space was this revealing moment of his powers, as well as the tragedy of it underlined with one line of dialogue from Alec Guinness. JJs problem is he just recreates moments from the original movies but without any of the stakes or weight.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Donovan Trip posted:

Yeah, on a purely emotional level as a kid I thought "oh my God that's her home!!" The whole buildup to it escalates so well but even when it's happening it's a "they wouldn't do this would they? Eliminate an entire planet?"

Then Obi Wan feeling it from across space was this revealing moment of his powers, as well as the tragedy of it underlined with one line of dialogue from Alec Guinness. JJs problem is he just recreates moments from the original movies but without any of the stakes or weight.

:agreed:

Star Trek Into Darkness is a prime example of that. He twists the Wrath of Khan ending with Kirk dying from radiation poisoning while fixing the ship instead of Spock. However, there are zero stakes because the beginning of the movie shows that Khan has magic blood that can cure anything. Just in case you forget that detail, when Kirk dies, it immediately segues to VULCAN RAAAAGE!!! rather than giving the audience a moment to let his death sink in. One of the best shots IMHO in Wrath of Khan is when it pans away showing Kirk slumped on the ground next to his dead best friend. He looks broken and forlorn, letting the death have gravity. It lets the OH poo poo, THEY KILLED SPOCK?!? moment sink in.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You know what set piece Abrams has to have kept from Treverrow's original script? The bit where Rey goes to the remains of the Death Star II. It feels exactly like it came from Jurassic World.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Bogus Adventure posted:

I think that moment landed, actually. It played with expectations in sort of a fun, interesting way.

And "Sith LARP-er" describes a version that we sort of got in TFA (between that and the temper tantrums), but got left behind as the trilogy let on. Like, If they had TFA-Kylo in charge of the FO for this movie, it could have been a different enemy. Rather than the cold, calculating Palpatine or whats-his-name from RoS, or even Hux, there's a rabid, petulant child with a lightsaber and a military apparatus capable of crushing a planet. That's an interesting villain in a very different way than what we've had. I don't think these are original thoughts, I'm sure I've read them somewhere.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Bogus Adventure posted:

:agreed:

Star Trek Into Darkness is a prime example of that. He twists the Wrath of Khan ending with Kirk dying from radiation poisoning while fixing the ship instead of Spock. However, there are zero stakes because the beginning of the movie shows that Khan has magic blood that can cure anything. Just in case you forget that detail, when Kirk dies, it immediately segues to VULCAN RAAAAGE!!! rather than giving the audience a moment to let his death sink in. One of the best shots IMHO in Wrath of Khan is when it pans away showing Kirk slumped on the ground next to his dead best friend. He looks broken and forlorn, letting the death have gravity. It lets the OH poo poo, THEY KILLED SPOCK?!? moment sink in.

Remember when Bones just injects a loving dead Tribble with some of Khan's blood?

"Hey, whatcha doing Bones?"
"I'm injecting the prisoner's blood into this dead animal."
"Oh... well, then..." >backs away slowly while drawing phaser<

Man, Into Darkness sucked.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Boxman posted:

I think that moment landed, actually. It played with expectations in sort of a fun, interesting way.

And "Sith LARP-er" describes a version that we sort of got in TFA (between that and the temper tantrums), but got left behind as the trilogy let on. Like, If they had TFA-Kylo in charge of the FO for this movie, it could have been a different enemy. Rather than the cold, calculating Palpatine or whats-his-name from RoS, or even Hux, there's a rabid, petulant child with a lightsaber and a military apparatus capable of crushing a planet. That's an interesting villain in a very different way than what we've had. I don't think these are original thoughts, I'm sure I've read them somewhere.

Honestly, that whole "rabid, petulant child" shtick rubbed me the wrong way. I couldn't take him seriously as a villain, especially when his tantrums were treated as jokes, like Stormtroopers pulling this:

JonathonSpectre posted:

Remember when Bones just injects a loving dead Tribble with some of Khan's blood?

I remember hoping that Into Darkness was involving Gary Mitchell and weird space powers, but no. It was the laziest remake of Wrath of Khan without any of the backstory, coherence, or tension. gently caress that movie.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The problem with having a rabid petulant child ascend to complete domination over the galaxy's most powerful military machine is, Disney clearly doesn't want these movies to draw parallels to real life politics.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Which is funny since the politics of the times are intrinsically linked to OT/PT/sci-fi/fantasy in general

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
They wanted to tease a depth and thematic resonance to Kylo's character that they never intended to expand upon in a satisfying manner, and the end result is that everyone had a different interpretation of what he's "meant" to represent. Is he the toxic alt-right Star Wars fan? The franchise poking fun at itself admitting it could never replicate Vader? The brooding love interest? The abuse victim? The revolutionary who would end the cycle?

And then he's unceremoniously disposed of and nobody's happy.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Co-writer of TROS on some of the uh, storytelling decisions https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-writer-sets-record-straight-perceived-last-jedi-jabs-1265168
Example:

quote:

Rey Palpatine. What were the ins and outs of that significant choice?

We also thought that Rey’s arc cannot be finished after Episode VIII. You can leave Episode VIII and say, “Well, now, Rey is content. She’s discovered her parents aren’t Skywalkers, or whatever, and that’s fine.” But so much of her personal story was about where she came from, what kept her on Jakku all those years and the trauma that shaped her. We see quite strongly in Episode VII that something mysterious and troubling happened to her. Although she did get some answers in Episode VIII, we didn’t feel that that story was over. We felt that there were still more questions in Rey’s head about where she came from and where she was going. So, that was the other big idea that we had to address in this film. Rian’s answer to, “What’s the worst news that Rey could receive?” was that she comes from junk traders, and that’s true. She does come from junk traders; we didn’t contradict that. But when J.J. and I spoke, he said, “Well, what’s an even worse answer or elaboration of that news?” And we thought the worst answer was that she descended from the family who are the enemies of her new family, her adoptive family. Leia is a mother figure to Rey in a way that no one has ever been since she lost her real mother (Jodie Comer). So, the idea was that Rey, who’s had inclinations towards the Dark Side, would learn in the course of this movie that Leia is training the descendant of her greatest enemy and that she has the Force strength of Leia’s greatest enemy. Discovering that you actually descended from your adoptive family’s greatest enemy, the same enemy who corrupted Anakin Skywalker and is responsible for the destruction of the Skywalker family in the first place, felt most devastating to us. Based on that, we were very moved by the idea that Leia would have known that from the very beginning, but since she still saw such hope, heart and spirit in Rey, she decided that she was going to take a chance on putting all the hope of the galaxy into the hands of a descendent of her greatest enemy. As Luke says, some things are stronger than blood. That felt like a really strong story point to us.

Therefore, at the end of the movie, when Rey declares herself a Skywalker, that felt like the end of that conversation, which is to say that you get to choose your family, and really, you get to choose your ancestry. Rey rejects the blood ancestry that she has inherited, and instead, she chooses the ancestry of the Jedi. When all the Jedi come to Rey at the end, one of the Jedi lightly says, “We are your ancestors now,” in the background, and I think that’s true. She chooses the spiritual ancestry of the Jedi instead of the blood ancestry of Palpatine.

They don't ask about the kiss 2/10 interviewer.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One thought I've had:

Bringing Palpatine "back" might have worked, had he been, like, a ghost. So far we've seen "good" Jedi/Force-people rematerialize as helpful ghosts, but maybe somehow the vilest Sith ever known found a way to keep his soul alive, like some kind of weird sci-fi demon, and that's what's on the Sith planet that has to be defeated. That would resonate more than him being hauled around on a machine. He honestly doesn't seem much worse for having been thrown into a reactor on a space station that then exploded.

Really, the thing is on paper I don't hate most of what literally developed, except the Rey Palpatine nonsense. It's mostly the presentation which is rushed and makes everything feel inconsequential.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

One thought I've had:

Bringing Palpatine "back" might have worked, had he been, like, a ghost. So far we've seen "good" Jedi/Force-people rematerialize as helpful ghosts, but maybe somehow the vilest Sith ever known found a way to keep his soul alive, like some kind of weird sci-fi demon, and that's what's on the Sith planet that has to be defeated. That would resonate more than him being hauled around on a machine. He honestly doesn't seem much worse for having been thrown into a reactor on a space station that then exploded.

Really, the thing is on paper I don't hate most of what literally developed, except the Rey Palpatine nonsense. It's mostly the presentation which is rushed and makes everything feel inconsequential.

Yeah or maybe the main threat is that he’s trying to return to corporeal form and that’s what they need to stop from happening. It feels like they chose the laziest, most thoughtless version of their ideas and said “gently caress it, good enough.”

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Haven't seen the movie but I assume literally nothing would be different if he was just a spooky ghost haunting the Death Star ruins?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Colonel Whitey posted:

The point is that the actor never gets a chance to emote or convey anything at all. Mando remains a boring emotionless appliance at least through episode 6 (haven't seen the rest yet). It's like if you took the Man With No Name and told Clint Eastwood he could have zero charisma, put a helmet on him, and gave him no good lines. Tough job for the actor, that one's on the bad writing.

You don't need to see his face to understand that he's having a major problem trying to prop up his warrior identity. It's been obvious since the start.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You know those parents that died protecting me? Yeah, gently caress those people.”

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 31, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Maxwell Lord posted:

One thought I've had:

I thought this is what they were going to do until the leaks started because there's already a precedent in the old Tales of the Jedi comics which is where the KOTOR time first got its start. In those I forget if it's said outright but the difference was thematically cool like a Jedi force ghost doesn't really physically do much but they're "one with the force" and can be anywhere/etc. like we see in the movies all the time. But like a Sith force ghost is more like a reject of that, like a poltergeist where they can actually effect the physical world to a pretty powerful extent but they're bound to a place because the Sith had a more physical approach to the force with a wider variety of like weapons and gauntlets and things instead of just a lightsaber and doing stuff with you're own mind.

A lot of that is my own projection on how those comics played out but like, because of Ren having Vader's helmet/etc. it seemed like they were considering doing stuff like that at some point.

Palpatine on a machine, now forever known as Puppetine, was pretty fun though.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

JonathonSpectre posted:

I'm still in awe that the movie opened with them dropping a cold fusion bomb on a volcano because someone thought cold fusion meant "extremely cold"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

Palpatine on a machine, now forever known as Puppetine, was pretty fun though.

lmao

Seemlar posted:

I'm still in awe that the movie opened with them dropping a cold fusion bomb on a volcano because someone thought cold fusion meant "extremely cold"

:ughh:

I loving hate Into Darkness...

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I saw Rise of Skywalker a week ago and liked it. I'm actually a bit surprised how poorly people here seemed to react to it. The leads were fun, the uneasy relationship between Rey and Kylo Ren was well done, it was nice to see Lando again, and the action was neat (if occasionally silly). Some things, like the return of Palpatine and the Final Order fleet, felt very pulpy in a good way, which Star Wars has often veered into.

So why do people here seem to dislike the movie much? I haven't followed behind-the-scenes stuff, but I'll admit that this new trilogy suffered from a lack of central vision and planning, with the different movies having somewhat incongruous tones and characterizations. Is that the main problem, or is it a case of people having specific expectations that weren't met?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DorianGravy posted:

I saw Rise of Skywalker a week ago and liked it. I'm actually a bit surprised how poorly people here seemed to react to it. The leads were fun, the uneasy relationship between Rey and Kylo Ren was well done, it was nice to see Lando again, and the action was neat (if occasionally silly). Some things, like the return of Palpatine and the Final Order fleet, felt very pulpy in a good way, which Star Wars has often veered into.

So why do people here seem to dislike the movie much? I haven't followed behind-the-scenes stuff, but I'll admit that this new trilogy suffered from a lack of central vision and planning, with the different movies having somewhat incongruous tones and characterizations. Is that the main problem, or is it a case of people having specific expectations that weren't met?

Honest to god non-troll question: what did you think of The Last Jedi?

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Pollyanna posted:

Not OP but I have pretty similar positive sentiments towards Episode IX, and I think TLJ feels more like a TV episode and less like a movie in scope, in the sense that the plot has advanced very little between the beginning and the end.

In more concrete terms, there isn't a strong sense that the characters at the end of the movie have really grown since the beginning. Poe is still an immature hotshot squadron commander who can't see the big picture, and Finn is still trying to find his place in the resistance.

Rey and by extension Kylo have grown the most over the movie, and Rey's subplot was by far the most interesting.

If I had to change things as little as possible, I'd play up Finn's depression and suicidal ideation, which makes his attempted sacrifice less heroic and more futile and tragic, and gives him a character arc growing from feelings of worthlessness as a disposable, replaceable soldier to an appreciation for the lives of not just his comrades but also for himself.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I initially liked it, but have come to dislike it as time passes. My main problems with it:

1) The space-chase and mutiny subplots felt like they went on for ages and the payoff (Poe learning to respect authority) seemed unnecessary. Plus, the First Order should have been able to simply jump ahead of them and put a stop to it.
2) I felt like the tone of the movie was fairly bleak, which I didn't like. Watching as helpless resistance ships are slowly destroyed was dour. Toward the end of the movie, the entire resistance is dwindled down to a small enough cast that they can fit into the Millennium Falcon.
3) I disliked Luke's behavior. You can chalk this up to me having expectations that weren't met, but to me, Luke was largely an optimist in the original trilogy. For him to hide away (for years?) after a single failure, rather than try to help, seemed out of character. Sure, characters should grow and change, but like the point above, it contributed to the bleak tone of the movie.

There were also some smaller things. The casino planet seemed somewhat pointless, and the action scenes which happened there weren't very interesting. It was also strange that they never explained who Snoke was supposed to be. Also, the light speed kamikaze, while visually neat, seems to invalidate a lot of the combat in Star Wars. Why build a Death Star if you could strap a hyperdrive to an asteroid/moon and have a similar effect? (Tangentially, I always thought that ships in hyperspace were in some sort of wormhole and couldn't smash into things, as suggested by the name "hyperspace" and the tunnel-like special effects.)

To the movie's credit, I liked the characters (although I wish the main characters got to interact with each other more), I liked the growing connection between Rey and Kylo Ren, Snoke's death was surprising and well done, and Rose's message about saving the things that you love was nice. I was fine with Rey not being related to anyone, because I hadn't really expected her to be.

I wanted to like the movie, and I can see why other people do, but for me it's not much fun or optimistic and spends too much time on things that aren't that interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's just way too drat dumb, it just keeps getting dumber as it goes on and seems to try to disguise it with this breakneck pacing where every few minutes the situation completely changes and we're flying to a new planet. "Star Wars" isn't charging around between set pieces, and it also isnt running through a star destroyer mowing down stormtroopers like a video game. The big climax is full of poo poo that genuinely feels like they couldn't think of something so they put some placeholder bullshit in and said "we'll refine it in the next draft" but then there was no time for a next draft so they had to film the placeholder