Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm 100% out of the loop, is uncut gems joining Punch Drunk Love in the category of "Adam Sandler can act, apparently once every twenty years"?

No. His performance is entirely one note and still too much Adam Sandler playing Adam Sandler. His character is also one note, but Adam adds nothing to it.

edit: here's my highest rated of the decade, no particular order

code:
spiderverse
grand budapest
mad max fury road
her
blade runner 2049
drive
the vvitch
room
hell or high water
first man
the master
parasite
edge of seventeen
ladybird
dallas buyers club
true grit
mary poppins returns
tully
free solo
mid 90s
nebraska
vox lux
Hostiles
jiro dreams of sushi
waves
boy erased

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Liked Waves that much?

I really wasnt a fan of the mary poppins sequel, id give it like 2/5

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The second "half" of Waves has really stuck with me and the contrasting whirlwind that proceeded was just as well made I think (unless that was just a joke of my typo of putting it twice :v:). Mary Poppins (original) has a special place in my heart and I went in expecting the sequel to be terrible but it hit me hard in a good way.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Bottom Liner posted:

The second "half" of Waves has really stuck with me and the contrasting whirlwind that proceeded was just as well made I think (unless that was just a joke of my typo of putting it twice :v:). Mary Poppins (original) has a special place in my heart and I went in expecting the sequel to be terrible but it hit me hard in a good way.

Waves is really solid. It's on my best of list for sure.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zer0spunk posted:

If you have Hulu, you should look up sharp edges, a short doc done by Tonya's skating bud when they are 16. It's a bit of a mind gently caress after seeing I Tonya

No Hulu for me, but thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it. Maybe it'll show up somewhere.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm 100% out of the loop, is uncut gems joining Punch Drunk Love in the category of "Adam Sandler can act, apparently once every twenty years"?
He's good in The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected).

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
1917 - 4/5 - holy cow

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Was hoping to catch that and A Hidden Life before the end of the year but no luck. How's the one shot style?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I get why Waves is divisive but I think that film is drat good, and is formally impressive on at least a half-dozen levels.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Was hoping to catch that and A Hidden Life before the end of the year but no luck. How's the one shot style?

Speaking as a huge Malick admirer for over 20 years I think A Hidden Life might be my least favorite film that he's made. Whereas Tree of Life benefits immeasurably from the added time on the Criterion cut (which I am dead set on as the definitive version)...A Hidden Life needed to be like 90 minutes long to maintain its poignancy. It is absolute drudgery at 3+ hours, and Malick isn't politically keen enough at this point in his life to engage meaningfully with the darker and more irreconcilable complexities of the European fascist tragedy.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Bottom Liner posted:

How's the one shot style?

Pretty much the main attraction.

The story is OK, very straight forward..nothing too complex. Perfectly serviceable.

The technical feat though..good god. There was times were I'd say "deakins you madman" out loud. Or just wonder how the hell they got the camera in the place they got it...or marvel at the choreography and blocking working in perfect unison.

To be fair, I'm a sucker for this kinda movie. I loved Rope in film school. I saw russian ark without any subtitles in a dutch theater and it didn't matter that I had no idea what the dialouge was. Birdman was my fav example of this style, but this movie supplants that.

Oddly enough I also saw Climax this week, which has a 42 min long take thats also totally insane, but this is less artsy wank, and more story driven camera movement..plus..the lighting..jesus. Deakins, you're too good for this planet.

I haven't seen the 3d tracking shot in long days journey yet, so maybe that's my ultimate fav, but holy hell this movie was incredible visually. Would easily watch this multiple times just to study the movement alone.

e: was as good as anything theyve done together visually in jarhead or skyfall...they pair well together

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 31, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Speaking as a huge Malick admirer for over 20 years I think A Hidden Life might be my least favorite film that he's made. Whereas Tree of Life benefits immeasurably from the added time on the Criterion cut (which I am dead set on as the definitive version)...A Hidden Life needed to be like 90 minutes long to maintain its poignancy. It is absolute drudgery at 3+ hours, and Malick isn't politically keen enough at this point in his life to engage meaningfully with the darker and more irreconcilable complexities of the European fascist tragedy.

That’s almost the opposite of what another Malick fan told me so now I don’t know what to expect!

1917 sounds awesome, I’m totally down for a Deakins masterclass.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The Nightingale

:dogbutton:

I do not even know what score I would give it at this time. Easily one of the most disturbing films I have seen in a LONG time

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 31, 2019

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
A Hidden Life - 3.5/5 (i wrote some spoiler free stuff on this in the thread/letterboxd. i can repost here if anyone cares enough)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

A Hidden Life - 3.5/5 (i wrote some spoiler free stuff on this in the thread/letterboxd. i can repost here if anyone cares enough)

Sure!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

I'll preface by saying I haven't seen most of Malick's later stuff, basically anything after thin red line. I'm aware that the last 3 or 4 have been way more experimental, but I can't compare and contrast like every other review, for better or for worse.

The storytelling is fairly linear, with the occasional jump back in time to underline an emotion. It's also 3 hours long, and VERY MUCH feels like the runtime. I mean, you know going into a Malick movie this dude loves shots of people tracing wheat with their hands as they slowly move across a plain. It's his thing, so you can't really fault a film for the directors calling card if you willingly go see the film in the first place.

Do I think if we cut out all these "stylized moments" (for lack of a better term) the movie would be an hour-long? Yeah.
It also wouldn't be a Terrence Malick movie, so, let's move past that.

The story itself is incredibly heartbreaking.
It didn't say anything new, nor did it really try and present anyone with any sort of depth outside of the main characters so I'm not sure it works as something fresh in the ww2 genre (but to be fair neither did things like Jojo Rabbit this year). The tale it tells though feels important enough to preserve and thematically this contradiction is all very much on point. It's a small story nestled in a large event...

So I liked the story, I thought the performances were also fantastic by the leads (and to a lesser extent most of the secondary or tertiary characters we meet with one particular standout). Let's get to what I thought were the best and worst things about this film:

The photography is STUNNING. We all know Malick can do incredible landscape shots, but when it comes to the more intimate moments he'll have the operator actually walk into the subject's face rather than switch to a closeup lens like most films.
The feeling of intimacy that comes from this is almost too uncomfortable and gives you an air of documentary movement that grounds the images to reality. Just pure mastery of frame size, positioning, and visual storytelling. The guy makes pretty images, no matter who is actually shooting for him. Swoon stuff.

What I thought failed over everything else was the ambiguity of the language chosen. We get a weird mix of English and German which left me frustrated when we randomly switch into German and get no subtitling. I understand why he made this artistic decision but I very much wanted to know what was being said most of the time he does this. I also feel like the entire thing would just be a stronger piece if he stuck to German with subtitles but let's be real, a 3-hour movie with subtitles is an even harder sell then without.

TLDR: A very long and slow movie, that is very pretty and ultimately really depressing. Tonally reminded me of A Thin Red Line, would pair well for the world's slowest double feature. I liked it overall, maybe more so chopped down. Go see it if you like Malick even a tiny bit.

e: sorry for anyone reading this a third time

e2:

if you're into cinematography, it's a good time to go to a theater right now. though they are both war movies (mehhh) 1917 and this one are just photographically gorgeous. Ironically the malick film is almost all natural lighting and the mendes/deakins film is his mad genuis giant lighting rigs and setups...like yeah the stories are both ok and not groundbreaking, but the visuals mannnnn. i see you 2019.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 2, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

I'll preface by saying I haven't seen most of Malick's later stuff, basically anything after thin red line. I'm aware that the last 3 or 4 have been way more experimental, but I can't compare and contrast like every other review, for better or for worse.

The storytelling is fairly linear, with the occasional jump back in time to underline an emotion. It's also 3 hours long, and VERY MUCH feels like the runtime. I mean, you know going into a Malick movie this dude loves shots of people tracing wheat with their hands as they slowly move across a plain. It's his thing, so you can't really fault a film for the directors calling card if you willingly go see the film in the first place.

Do I think if we cut out all these "stylized moments" (for lack of a better term) the movie would be an hour-long? Yeah.
It also wouldn't be a Terrence Malick movie, so, let's move past that.

TLDR: A very long and slow movie, that is very pretty and ultimately really depressing. Tonally reminded me of A Thin Red Line, would pair well for the world's slowest double feature. I liked it overall, maybe more so chopped down. Go see it if you like Malick even a tiny bit.

e: sorry for anyone reading this a third time

e2:

if you're into cinematography, it's a good time to go to a theater right now. though they are both war movies (mehhh) 1917 and this one are just photographically gorgeous. Ironically the malick film is almost all natural lighting and the mendes/deakins film is his mad genuis giant lighting rigs and setups...like yeah the stories are both ok and not groundbreaking, but the visuals mannnnn. i see you 2019.

Two things I'll say,

His recent trilogy wasn't exactly my bag but I could appreciate it on an experimental level, like an actor's workshop, or an exercise in minimalist process, and it showed that he had new tricks up his sleeve. These tricks didn't really work properly for Knight or Wonder...but Song to Song was excellent, in my own humble, and in that film he found an energy with his leads and cinematographer that was invigorating, which certainly demonstrates that Malick can explore his ideas without fields of grain. If you think pastoral is his only avenue then you owe it to yourself to watch Song to Song, which only grows more lovely in my head when I think back upon it. The energy of that film seems directly informed by the younger filmmakers he's influenced (Andrea Aronld, David Lowery, Harmony Korine, Trey Edward-Shultz)...and in-turn those director's most recent work even seems to bounce off of Song to Song in what I might describe as a dialogue of style. If Knight and Wonder had never come out and only Song to Song existed people would be talking right now about how regressive A Hidden Life feels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9t4SKWryWM

Second, I think if one is going to pair The Thin Red Line with anything in a double feature it should be The New World. Those two films echo each other to an insane degree, not only as a collection themes (regarding the intersection of society and nature)...but with regard to the method of production design, ensemble cast, sound design, score, etc, and they both feel like they germinated for a long time from ideas and screenplays he had developed decades beforehand but never filmed. Voyage of Time is basically a thematic bridge between TTRL/TNW and TTOL/STS

Knight of Cups, A Hidden Life, and To The Wonder are all kind of in the bag of Malick films that are disharmonious, even though I like parts of each.

My ranking of his films that nobody asked for is

The Thin Red Line
Days of Heaven
The Tree of Life
The New World
Badlands
Song to Song
Voyage of Time
To The Wonder
Knight of Cups
A Hidden Life

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 3, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The New World is insanely great and underrated.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

The New World is insanely great and underrated.

Certainly has one of the most moving endings I've ever seen.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I don't keep up with release and get to stuff as I get to it.
Suspuria 7/10 I liked it but it felt a bit overcooked.
The Witch 6/10 I appreciate the attention to detail for the setting and characters but found it lacking as an actual horror film.
Edit 2049 7.5/10 Also enjoyed this one. It's visually gorgeous but also felt a little overcooked.
Intolerable Cruelty 6.5/10 Fun but not the Coen's best work.

ChazTurbo fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 3, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I watched Harriet. B-

Not a bad biopic. I really liked Cynthia Erivo who i remembered from Bad times at the El Royale (she was actually better in that I thought). Harriet suffers from the thing biopics do of trying to overdramaticize aspects of the story and creating moments that seem just not believable when the source material is amazing enough without that kind of embellishment.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Beowulf 10/10 (high). Crazy.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Little Women - 4/5 overall but i let the emotions wash over me and i was bawling and picking off my gel nail polish from the tension, then felt drained after and wanted to be held

So i'll watch it every year now

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Parasite second theater viewing still 5/5 - after a few months of thinking about it it was even better the second time.

Marriage Story 5/5 - Adam Driver's song scene alone is Oscar worthy. Really appreciated the warmth and heart the movie had (as well as humor) despite the events depicted.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Uncut Gems is the best film I've seen this year.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Uncut Gems is the best film I've seen this year.

Beowulf is the best movie I've seen this year.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Uncut Gems is the best film from last year that I've seen this year or last year.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

oh no i thought you were making a joke about it being the first week of the year

I think I would have liked it a lot if it were 30 minutes shorter and had more quiet scenes like the one of him and Idina in the kitchen.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

I think I would have liked it a lot if it were 30 minutes shorter and had more quiet scenes like the one of him and Idina in the kitchen.

I would've hated this movie if it were as you just described.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Parasite is the best movie I've seen this year now. Last year too. Just great in every conceivable way.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

Parasite is the best movie I've seen this year now. Last year too. Just great in every conceivable way.

It's v good, and also relevant to the moment.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's v good, and also relevant to the moment.

Absolutely and I'd go further to say relevance is great but the nous on display and the overlapping criticism is absolutely spectacular. It's subtle and provocative while dropping some total Kojima level sledgehammers and I just love it.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
6 Underground - 0/5 just absolute camera shaking garbage

Miracle Mile - 4/5 really great. Havent seen a good 80s film in awhile. Tangerine Dream soundtrack really makes it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
1917 5/5

How the gently caress did they do that?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

mcmagic posted:

1917 5/5

How the gently caress did they do that?

Hard same. My jaw dropped many times but I almost stood up in awe at the night flares. God drat Deakins.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Long article about the shooting of 1917:

https://www.hurlbutacademy.com/the-look-of-1917-how-deakins-achieved-the-oner/

quote:

“The camera starts off mounted on a 50-foot techno crane when he’s down in the trench and it brings him up over the trench. “Then the grips take it off, it’s on a stabilized head obviously, they take it off this one crane, walk backward with George (Schofield). Put it on another crane that’s mounted onto a vehicle and then track for like a quarter of a mile or more with George. At the end, it booms out and goes down into the trench with him.

So a lot of long shots were really one takes with transitioning the camera from crane to handheld to vehicle to boom. Jesus.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 11, 2020

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Bottom Liner posted:

Long article about the shooting of 1917:

https://www.hurlbutacademy.com/the-look-of-1917-how-deakins-achieved-the-oner/

So a lot of long shots were really one takes with transitioning the camera from crane to handheld to vehicle to boom. Jesus.

I gotta see this thing before it leaves theaters, gently caress.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Eagle (1925, Clarence Brown) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
The White Reindeer (1952, Erik Blomberg) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5
Vertical Features Remake (1978 , Peter Greenaway) [Criterion Channel] - 4/5
Blue Velvet Revisited (2016, Peter Braatz) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Tammy and the T-Rex (1994, Stewart Rafill) [UHD] - 3/5
Diamantino (2018, Gabriel Abrantes/Daniel Schmidt) [Criterion Channel] - 3/5
Local Hero (1983, Bill Forsyth) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Jezebel (1938, William Wyler) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
200 Motels (1971, Frank Zappa/Tony Palmer) [MVD DVD] - 4/5
Polyester (1981, John Waters) [Blu-ray - Odorama] - 4/5
Lust in the Dust (1984, Paul Bartel) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
Knives Out (2019, Rian Johnson) [theatrical] - 5/5
They Live (1988, John Carpenter) [Blu-ray] - 4/5 - this was my last feature for 2019/2010s
Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949, Robert Hamer) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Gaslight (1944, George Cukor) [TCM] - 3.5/5
Mothra (1961, Ishiro Honda) [Blu-ray, subtitled] - 3/5
Dark Star (1974, John Carpenter) [Criterion Channel] - 3.5/5

GODZILLA: THE SHOWA-ERA FILMS (all Blu-ray, subtitled unless noted)
Godzilla (1954, Ishiro Honda) - 4/5
Godzilla Raids Again (1955, Motoyoshi Oda) - 2.5/5
King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962, Ishiro Honda) [US Version] - 2.5/5
Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964, Ishiro Honda) - 2.5/5
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964, Ishiro Honda) - 2.5/5
Invasion of the Astro-Monster (1965, Ishiro Honda) [dubbed] - 2.5/5
Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966, Jun Fukuda) - 3/5
Son of Godzilla (1967, Jun Fukuda) [dubbed] - 3/5
Destroy All Monsters (1968, Ishiro Honda) [dubbed] - 3/5
All Monsters Attack (1969, Ishiro Honda) - 3/5
Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971, Yoshimitsu Banno) - 3.5/5
Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972, Jun Fukuda) - 3/5
Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973, Jun Fukuda) [dubbed] - 3/5
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974, Jun Fukuda) - 3/5
Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975, Ishiro Honda) - 2.5/5

Rewatches:
Blue Velvet (1986, David Lynch) [Criterion Blu-ray] - 5/5
The Circus (1928/1968, Charles Chaplin) [Criterion Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
The Irishman (2019, Martin Scorsese) [Netflix] - 5/5
The Thief of Bagdad (1940, Michael Powell/Ludwig Berger/Tim Whelan) [DVD] - 4/5
Rabbit's Moon (1950/1971, Kenneth Anger) [Blu-ray] - 5/5
Scorpio Rising (1964, Kenneth Anger) [Blu-ray] - 5/5
The Thin Man (1934, W.S. Van Dyke) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
A Face in the Crowd (1957, Elia Kazan) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
Footlight Parade (1933, Lloyd Bacon/Busby Berkeley) [Blu-ray] - 5/5
Candleshoe (1977, Norman Tokar) [Disney+] -

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 12, 2020

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Godzilla vs. Hedorah for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Godzilla vs. Hedorah for sure

After the '54 original, this is by far my favorite of the series. It has a lot of trippy stuff, a great opening song, not to mention a good environmental message.

While I rated these a little low (most were 2.5/5 or 3/5), they're still generally goofy fun. I'm going to rewatch King Kong vs. Godzilla via the Japanese version sometime.