Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

toplitzin posted:

Today in grocery store adventures.

Edit: I borrowed a car from a friend and a headlight is out. it's a through the fender liner replacement job, so he can do it when they get the car back.

I'm the terrible Cyclops you share a road with.

I just had one blow on my Cherokee and it's the same thing. I've got one working hand, however so that means I'll probably have to bring it to a shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Handiklap posted:

what kind of baby back bitch takes a profile pic from the passenger seat loving lmfao

He probably wrecked his truck the first time taking it from the driver's seat

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/6VDSXfr.mp4

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Super Doriftu!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Just taking those kids to drift school.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Big bear, CA got some snow this week so we drove up for the day to get some sledding in.

I'm originally from the Northeast and spent most of my life driving in snowy winters, and the amount of stupidity that goes on here is astounding.

Tire chains on clear dry roads. Tire chains on cars that I know for a fact have 4wd (on clear dry roads). Cars stuck in the middle of the street in an inch of slush. People pulling over on the shoulder to get out and stand in the snow.

And this person who drove off the road on a long straight section.

If you're from LA, stay in LA.

My truck was in RWD the whole time, come at me.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Entire parking lot was full, but by God don't want anyone so scratch my Toyota.

e: and the truck behind it too, wonder which was there first

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 29, 2019

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Tire chains on clear dry roads.

I am guessing this wasn't the case in this particular instance, but up in the Tahoe area on a number of occasions I've driven through areas with chain control in place, while snowing, but no snow actually accumulated on the road.

And yeah, I see a bunch of AWD cars with chains on; I imagine just people with no experience wanting to be cautious. The best, though, is 2WD cars with chains only on the non drive wheels.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

There was no chain control at this time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I’ve always suspected Calgary has the very finest of complete loving lunatics on the road and now I have some strong evidence:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/erratic-driver-charged-stoney-trail-dangerous-1.5410445

Recommended result: car crushed into cube with driver inside.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

I gotta imagine breaking down on the Skyway was not a fun experience for everyone involved.

madeintaipei posted:

I think they fine you for breakdowns on the Skyway. Yeah though, just hope your poo poo breaks on the hump or at the exteme ends of the bridge.
I wonder if you get charged toll for a vehicle on a tow truck?

I got a flat tire at the top of the Skyway about ten years ago. At night.

Picked up one of the emergency phones they have up there, and a state trooper was there within five minutes with an aluminum floor jack and I was gone in about ten minutes.

My wife was freaking out because I made her get out of the car because i was worried about an idiot rear ending it. The barrier is about waist high and it was super spooky looking down over it into the black abyss. Would not recommend getting a flat tire on the Skyway.

For those that don't know what the Skyway is:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Applebees Appetizer posted:

And for those who don't know why it looks like that: a ship crashed into the former Skyway in 1980, killing 35 people. Even knowing it was designed to avoid that happening again, the whole thing skeeves me out.

Oh, and it gets shut down because of high winds on the regular. I've been the last truck across before a restriction on heavy vehicles was activated. 20mph in a little Isuzu NPR box truck was truly terrifying.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 30, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Parking lot adventures at the big box home improvement store.

Two guys trying to fit several sheets of 4'x8' what looked like 1/4" thick plywood into the back of a mid 90's subcompact with fold down seats. They are sawing it down to try to ram it in the back of the trunk. Had the pleasure of being parked next to them and needed to ask them to move their mini-sawmill which consisted of a push cart and their knees as support as they ripped it down with a circular saw which of course was inches away from the femoral artery. They obliged so I could back out and apologized for their transgression.

But my god, it gave me and my wife an ephiany...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oops and here I thought we were talking about the Chicago Skyway.

Which is also a bridge (and an elevated highway) and a bad place to break down, just not quite as impressive a bridge.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
#1 rule of the road: People are stupid.

https://www.facebook.com/NBCMontana/videos/reading-a-book-while-driving-on-a-highway/2528301107415672/

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

madeintaipei posted:

And for those who don't know why it looks like that: a ship crashed into the former Skyway in 1980, killing 35 people. Even knowing it was designed to avoid that happening again, the whole thing skeeves me out.

I know people that refuse to go over it, some kind of bridge phobia mixed with the history. I remember when it happened, and then driving over the good span passing by the span that broke apart....THAT was loving spooky as a kid to see that knowing about all the people that died. I was a huge deal at the time.

Driving over the Skyway is the only thing with enough elevation in Florida to make my ears pop.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I figured you guys were definitely not referring to the Pulaski Skyway in New Jersey but that is also a place you wouldn't want to break down on, either. Even after the renovations that closed the Skyway to two-way traffic for four years, it only has two lanes in each direction, no breakdown lane, is 3.5 miles long, and is only one of two highways (and the only toll-free one) connecting the Holland Tunnel to the rest of New Jersey. At least trucks aren't allowed on the Skyway.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

I got a flat tire at the top of the Skyway about ten years ago. At night.

xzzy posted:

Nah, op (me) was talking about the buffalo skyway.

Its weak but yes I also would not like to break down there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like the idea of everyone talking about their own personal skyway and nodding in agreement about how it's a bad place to get stuck.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My Skyway is bigger than yours :colbert:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Well mine is an antique not designed to accommodate modern day traffic, had over $1 billion poured into it so it won't collapse over the next 90 years, and still can't adequately accommodate modern day traffic despite being one of two main thoroughfares into and out of lower Manhattan. :smug:

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 30, 2019

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Cage posted:

Nah, op (me) was talking about the buffalo skyway.

Its weak but yes I also would not like to break down there.

We had 2 trucks get flipped there during a windstorm 2 years ago.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Edward IV posted:

Well mine is an antique not designed to accommodate modern day traffic, had over $1 billion poured into it so it won't collapse over the next 90 years, and still can't adequately accommodate modern day traffic despite being one of two main thoroughfares into and out of lower Manhattan. :smug:

:perfect:

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
The fastest I've ever been (and most scared) is when when of my moron friends floored it going down the FL Skyway late one night. We were doing at least 130 (the speedometer stoped at 130) and I was screaming in a most unmanly fashion to slow down oh gently caress I'm gonna die. Haven't driven with him much since then.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

sleepy.eyes posted:

The fastest I've ever been (and most scared) is when when of my moron friends floored it going down the FL Skyway late one night. We were doing at least 130 (the speedometer stoped at 130) and I was screaming in a most unmanly fashion to slow down oh gently caress I'm gonna die. Haven't driven with him much since then.

Well, 130 isn't that fast, I frequently hit that on the highway during my comm... oh, wait, that's US moon units.

Yeah, that's no good.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

xzzy posted:

Which is also a bridge (and an elevated highway) and a bad place to break down, just not quite as impressive a bridge.

Oh, the bridge is impressive...if you appreciate rolling onto some rickety poo poo that's held together with a few cans of Rustoleum.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

PT6A posted:

Well, 130 isn't that fast, I frequently hit that on the highway during my comm... oh, wait, that's US moon units.

Yeah, that's no good.

Brösel's Werner comic Normal, ja! touches on that. The guys set out on a trip to Italy from Berlin in a 6-cyl Taunus, trading it for an Oldmobile Regency 98 (big car, big motor) on the way. "My God, it rides wonderfully at 120." "Those are miles, idiot!" "Oh."

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I came to a red light this afternoon, there was a boomer in a new-ish Audi A6 in the unprotected left turn lane across from me.

Light turned green, she gunned across the intersection in front of me and the car beside me. And drove into a UPS truck that was delivering on the street she turned onto.

I stuck around to give the police a statement because gently caress you lady. You got exactly what you deserved.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

.My wife was freaking out because I made her get out of the car because i was worried about an idiot rear ending it.

I understand your instinct to protect your loved ones and to distrust your fellow motorists' attentiveness, but unless you can get behind a barrier or far from the roadway, the safest place to be is in the car buckled up.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L8TASl0NcY

What a moron. I love the description text: "I Love Tesla, but yes my car crashed on auto pilot.".

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Tesla ownership is a cult for people with more money than sense.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
In other words, it's vehicular Scientology.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We all want to be a part of a tribe, but some of us pick really stupid tribes.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Protocol7 posted:

Tesla ownership is a cult for people with more money than sense.
I actually think CPOed model S mades a lot of sense. Like mid-30-40s for a model S with a new 4 year/50k b2b warranty v. a model 3 for the same money with basically the same warranty, but slower and less nice.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://i.imgur.com/GHAlU6S.mp4

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I was trying to figure out what was going on and then I saw the knife.

And then I saw the guy with the knife act like an absolute moron and repeatedly get clowned on, as much by himself as the guy with the shovel.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The slip off the roof is amazing.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Meth krokodil's a hell of a drug.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'm amazed that the self-pit maneuver worked out for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Great way to end a career.
https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article238903408.html#storylink=mainstage_card4