Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jboslund
Jan 27, 2009
I've learned that the Homing perk makes black holes go all squirrely and anger the gods. So... be careful with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

TeaJay posted:

A big benefit of Edit wands anywhere mod is to be able to switch the spells on the two starting wands around and be somewhat equipped for the first two levels even if you don't find any good wands there.

I just like it because you can take that one good spell you find and don't have to keep hauling the crappy wand all the way to the next temple when space is limited. Generally if you start to experiment with wand-building out in the zones some enemy will invariably come and blast you while you have inventory open, so I still tend to do that in the temples anyway.

Also stripping wands is really good.

One you can disarm wands you find. Two you can store good spells for when you get to temple.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Edit Wands Anywhere is absolutely the best perk for at least the first half of the game. I can't count the number of times I've been staring at 5 wands going "OK, I need this one to survive the rest of this zone, this one has good stats but crappy spells, this one has a spark bolt with trigger, this one has a bunch of cool spells, and this one can dig. poo poo." Being able to just strip the spark bolt with trigger off of a wand, or the multicast, or whatever other spell I want that's on a wand I don't want, removes one of the major sources of choice from the game.

I mean, I 100% get why people play that way, and I don't think you're somehow sullying your experience, but at the same time I don't think that it's the "right" way to play for everyone.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Lately I just wanna skip down to the second level and tackle it with spells swapped on the starter wands because I'm sick to death of the mines, but I know I'd survive way longer with the extra 100-200 HP fully exploring the first level usually nets :smith:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
There's gotta be a mod that just moves a guaranteed health pickup or two and the two tablets to the start so you can just rush to the second area.

Although I guess then you're missing out on the first 200-300 gold you get from the mines, which CAN be a big deal early on if you can pickup a solid wand / spell /reroll in the first temple.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If not, then I'm sure CheatGUI is more than capable of spawning you some.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly yeah, might be worth it to just give yourself 200g to start, a health pickup, and two tablets, then rush to the end. Can explore if you want on the off chance of getting a decent early spell or flask, or just say gently caress it and move on.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I bought this game a few months ago on a lark and refunded it almost immediately because I was in an unrelated bad mood and I didn't really get the game within the first 20 minutes. Bought it again the other day and it is amazeballs. Feel super great about giving it another try. I've put 10 hours into it so far.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I'm of the opinion that all spells cast by you simply shouldn't damage you.

Like, there's a growing list of spells/wands that I'm just never using because they're either too chaotic or inconsistent or bounce back to my face for damage. Buzzsaws, nope. Bouncing arrows, nope. Flame, explosions, icy stuff, zaps, poison clouds, NOPE NOPE NOPE. Only boring wands for me please. The consistent stuff that don't kill me after 2 uses.

It used to be that falling debris would auto-kill you. Doesn't seem to be the case anymore? Good change. Lets make our spells not kill ourselves too.

Maybe poison and fire could damage, but bouncing projectiles shouldn't smack us in the face.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Part of the joy of launching 5 spinning sawblades rapidfire out of your wand is managing NOT to kill yourself. I'd be sad if that element of risk was taken away. Luckily there are plenty of spells to choose from and you don't have to saw your own head off if you don't want to.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
A projectile modifier that means your projectiles don't hurt you would be a welcome feature so you can use it if you find it. Or weigh it up against other modifiers

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I could maybe see it being a perk, too.

At any rate, it's a matter of your personal risk aversion. Some spells hurt you but are much safer than others, and maybe some people are fine using those. Arrows, small buzz saws, and small fire / explosions are all generally safe enough that I tend to use them freely. Occasionally I'll ping myself but if I'm low on health I'll be very careful about not doing so. Then the big poo poo like nukes or giant explosion modifiers or acid clouds or whatever are there as a risky exciting "oh poo poo" button.

I think that removing self damage from the game as a whole would be a pure detriment, though. Beyond removing an element of risk / reward, it's also important in establishing the self-schadenfreude tone of the game. There's so much poo poo that can just kill you out of the blue with zero warning and through no fault of your own. Having spells that do the same thing actually does help alleviate some of that frustration, or at least helps filter out people who aren't into that sort of thing. Everyone has that experience early on when you don't really know how unsafe it is to use random wands you find, so you just fire one blindly and then blow yourself up or cover yourself in acid or something. I'd be SHOCKED if that wasn't the cause of death at least once for most people in their first ten or so plauthroughs. And if you're not into that, hey that's fine! But it does help establish that this is a game where you can quickly and randomly die, and you're going to need to be able to laugh at that if you wanna really enjoy the game. Without easily and quickly killing yourself early on, I suspect most people wouldn't get randomly blindly killed until much later in the game, and without that precedent set I imagine it would be far more frustrating and feel like way more bullshit.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, the risk/reward metagame of finding the best murderwand that won't kill you is part of the fun, I do not want it gone.

A modifier that makes affected projectiles pass through you or something like that would be fine, though. Works on projectiles, but if you kill yourself with an explosion, it's still your own fault.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

trip report: i've never seen this modifier or the piercing one before and they're a ton of fun with concentrated light and explosion immunity

e: (ignore that errant energy orb at the end)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

drat, that modifier would be killer with a standard Green Energy Shot multicast shotgun wand.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I found a wand with twelve (Twelve!) bombs on it, that cast 5 each time clicked.

I also got a modifier that made an explosion deal way more damage if the target was soaked in alcohol first. The next holy mountain had a spirits cloud spell for sale.

I immediately picked up the glass cannon perk, dropped 5 bombs down a long ice shaft and even after flying as far away as I possible, I still got caught in the explosion (as was everything else on the level) and died.

10/10 would take perk again.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Glass cannon isn't really objectively good but I will always take it because exploding entire levels is hilarious.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Glass cannon is extremely good if your goal is to have fun.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

any True Noita takes glass cannon every time it comes up, with the understanding that you will most likely die gloriously as a result

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

most of my deaths are from me going from ~200-0 hp instantly anyway so glass cannon can only increase my survivability

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

First time I see this Chain Bolt spell... and it's really freakin' effective. Thing melts turrets and everything else. :catstare:

Edit: I mean look at this thing:
https://i.imgur.com/5JdUKOT.mp4

Sure some of that is the heavy shot and my critical+ perk :v: but the chain bolt by itself does lots of damage and makes targeting super easy, see those three small guys above.

jaete fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 31, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Holy poo poo, seed 1016344525 has the most completely insane first level I've ever seen. I can't even describe it, you just have to try it.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Is Summon Hollow Egg supposed to (sometimes) physics-kill enemies for double gold, or is this a hilarious bug?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It just depends on what exactly they die from. Thunderbolt, that big gently caress-off lightning spell, counts as environmental damage nearly every time because so much of the damage comes from the thunderclap that surrounds the actual bolt itself - and that's an explosive attack, so double gold for you.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

KillHour posted:

Holy poo poo, seed 1016344525 has the most completely insane first level I've ever seen. I can't even describe it, you just have to try it.

This is a pretty crazy seed, that one heart container room especially on the first level. Lots of wands to be found and hearts too. You can also build a laser cannon:

or like in my latest gif, even better arrangement which turns the wand into a neverending stream of lazors

Or a wand which allows you to quickly flood everywhere with acid.

But then I let my hubris get to me and found out you should not go against the dragon with this wand because he will eat you alive.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 2, 2020

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Cardiovorax posted:

It just depends on what exactly they die from. Thunderbolt, that big gently caress-off lightning spell, counts as environmental damage nearly every time because so much of the damage comes from the thunderclap that surrounds the actual bolt itself - and that's an explosive attack, so double gold for you.

It was just a random crappy wand with 3x Summon Hollow Egg and no damage spells, and most of the time the egg(s) do nothing unless the enemy and/or projectile is moving relatively fast. Guess I could try stacking speed boosts to see just how silly it can get, once I stop dying in the mines.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

eke out posted:

any True Noita takes glass cannon every time it comes up, with the understanding that you will most likely die gloriously as a result

Yeah, that's exactly why I took it. I couldn't not take it. I was hoping to use the spirits mist + explosive modifier on someone but the bombs got me first. :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I love that being a booze wizard is a legitimate play strategy in this game.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I discovered acid trail, proceeded to anger the gods while testing it out, melted my way out of the temple and then melted myself too after falling into the ice caverns area because "oh acid trails hurt you too"

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 1, 2020

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Looking at this clip again, you can see that part of the drone turns into lava before it explodes. I guess because it's made out of steel and has a physics-enabled body.

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 1, 2020

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I've killed 3 robocops in this fungal caves by putting a pool of lava on the steel above their heads.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It cannot be contained

Shortly after I realized I can fly with this and

went up and flew to the sky and found The Moon and a secret message and some weird place in the sky with demons and giant worms who then killed me

I'm scared to play that seed any more.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TeaJay posted:

I'm scared to play that seed any more.

Good news - it's not just that seed! They're always there. Watching. Waiting. :unsmigghh:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Don't mind me, just walking my fish.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is this where y'all have downloaded the seed changer? I had it on my PC but it disappeared, re-downloaded it at that link but when I unzip it there isn't a .exe file to be found?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Johnny Truant posted:

Is this where y'all have downloaded the seed changer? I had it on my PC but it disappeared, re-downloaded it at that link but when I unzip it there isn't a .exe file to be found?

The windows unzipper removes .exe files that its thinks are unsafe (this happens with even completely legitimate .exe files), or it could be an anti-virus program.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
found out it's possible for mobs to anger the gods which gets me in trouble
also found out grabbing a perk super fast and beelining it causes the roof to crush Mr. Skeleton to death

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i made a gun that shoots a slow, delayed energy orb that explodes into quickly moving 6 toxic clouds that are on fire and have an energy field. enemies that survive are either on fire, and take 100% extra crit or poisoned, and get charmed. also the whole thing auto-tracks and i think counts as environmental damage because i get a shitton of gold from kills

alternatively, i can replace a few of the toxic clouds with death stars.

good thing i have toxic and explosion immunity

edit: oh yeah, the slow orb keeps bouncing back into shielded guys and breaks it pretty quickly before delivering the payload.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007