Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Malcolm XML posted:

nah that's some garbage knockoff. unless ur paying for the primo Nippon cup rubber, not worth it

e: https://www.nizkeyboard.com/products/niz-2019-new-atom-68-ec-bluetooth-keyboard-rgb-or-non-rgb?variant=30346364059719 drat if this sucker was programmable with qmk i'd finally replace my aging hhkb pro 2, the greatest of all keyboards

Yeah I have a plum and a real Force 84u. The plum is not bad though, the action is just a little gritty?

I like it still is smooth enough and I actually like the feedback in a weird way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Mike is good people, though I've only interacted with him online and through buying many of his products. He designed the Kailh BOX Royal switch, which I excitedly bought a sack of when they first came out, but it turned out not to be what I was looking for.

Shamefully, the v1 Zilents were there perfect switch for me :negative:

Are you selling your box royals?

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

As a beginner keyboard enthusiast I've been pretty happy with the Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate Cherry MX Blue. I used to have a problem at work where people would want to type poo poo on my keyboard. Blank keycaps are a good way to discourage guests, as well as the obnoxiously loud clacking noises. And in spite of it all I think it has helped force me to better learn certain keystrokes, to the point where I'm rocking the curly braces and parenthesis like a champ.

Someday I'll probably appreciate the minimalist keyboards but I currently do a lot of 10-key and I need those F-keys, weird CTRL+ALT+??? combinations, and of course the ubiquitous SysRq

Asimov fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 31, 2019

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Shaocaholica posted:

Are you selling your box royals?

Sorry, I sold those a while ago :shobon:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

v1ld posted:

Google the Hasu USB-USB converter. It's TMK, but you can flash QMK onto it - it's explicitly supported in the QMK tree.

It's a little USB to USB adapter that you plug any keyboard into to make it a QMK keyboard. Very nifty. I've used it with QMK to program an Atom 66, works great. No reason for it not to work with the Atom 68.

Hasu started the whole thing with TMK which was later forked to QMK, which is why QMK will run on most TMK devices.

E: For anyone who wants a function row with the exact same layout and width, check out the Niz Micro 82.

E2: If you want to buy it directly from Hasu: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72052.0

I did and they ship quickly. They're doing all kinds of cool things for HHKBs and Leopolds and reverse engineered a bunch of stuff, so it's kinda nice to support them.

Yeah my hhkb has the og has bt tmk mod

I don't see how the usb converter would work tho, how would it deal with fn

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Malcolm XML posted:

Yeah my hhkb has the og has bt tmk mod

I don't see how the usb converter would work tho, how would it deal with fn

Nice on the modded hhkb. I was very tempted to go with a Leopold FC660C with Hasu's mod for it to run QMK with electrocapacitative switches. Ended up buying a bunch of Niz boards instead: Atom 66 and then later two Micro 82s.

The usb converter doesn't see Fn as you'd expect, but you can do anything else you want with the keys you press. For eg, the Atom 66 has a shared right shift/up arrow key which the onboard firmware handles. But I disabled that in its firmware and got QMK to do the shared shift/up arrow much better.

So it depends on what you're going to do with QMK - I just treated the Atom 66 as a dumb keyboard with no Fn key and did all I wanted with the USB-USB converter.

Here's the QMK code for the converter: https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/tree/master/keyboards/converter/usb_usb

As it says, NKRO isn't supported but 6KRO is. This wasn't a big deal for me even with doing all kinds of stuff in QMK (I was playing with having shift/control/alt/win on the home row at the time for eg).

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

v1ld posted:

Nice on the modded hhkb. I was very tempted to go with a Leopold FC660C with Hasu's mod for it to run QMK with electrocapacitative switches. Ended up buying a bunch of Niz boards instead: Atom 66 and then later two Micro 82s.

The usb converter doesn't see Fn as you'd expect, but you can do anything else you want with the keys you press. For eg, the Atom 66 has a shared right shift/up arrow key which the onboard firmware handles. But I disabled that in its firmware and got QMK to do the shared shift/up arrow much better.

So it depends on what you're going to do with QMK - I just treated the Atom 66 as a dumb keyboard with no Fn key and did all I wanted with the USB-USB converter.

Here's the QMK code for the converter: https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/tree/master/keyboards/converter/usb_usb

As it says, NKRO isn't supported but 6KRO is. This wasn't a big deal for me even with doing all kinds of stuff in QMK (I was playing with having shift/control/alt/win on the home row at the time for eg).

Hmm does the niz software let u setup fn key combos? That's basically all I use qmk for, to get another layer of media keys and shortcuts

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Asimov posted:

Someday I'll probably appreciate the minimalist keyboards but I currently do a lot of 10-key and I need those F-keys, weird CTRL+ALT+??? combinations, and of course the ubiquitous SysRq

Are minimalist keyboards just an aesthetic thing? I understand how tenkeyless helps ergonomics, but losing F-keys and such just seems like a loss of functionality. IDEs always have weird keyboard combinations and having to rebind them all because a weird keyboard doesn't have that key seems annoying.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

FuzzySlippers posted:

Are minimalist keyboards just an aesthetic thing? I understand how tenkeyless helps ergonomics, but losing F-keys and such just seems like a loss of functionality. IDEs always have weird keyboard combinations and having to rebind them all because a weird keyboard doesn't have that key seems annoying.

I have a programmable 60% keyboard so all my fn keys are closer to the home row since they're on layer 2 on my number keys. It's not losing keys as much as it is moving them closer to the home row.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

I bought an actually split keyboard (Kinesis Freestyle Edge) to try to deal with persistent shoulder pain I've been getting on the computer (already have tenkeyless, trackball, good chair, adjustable desk, etc so I've gone down the usual routes). I wanted something I could easily return and had a normal key layout so I wasn't very interested in the more esoteric options (uhk, ergodex, etc). So far it feels super weird to type on. It's like I'm not even typing but just wiggling my fingers independently and words appear on the screen. I suppose I'll just get used to it eventually. Anyone have this keyboard and end up happy with it? Any tips for getting used to it?

Try a Microsoft sculpt. It’s not a mechanical, but it’s cheaper, less weird, and works really really well

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

I just purchased some key caps off KBDFans but I am missing a few keys (I am an idiot). I ordered Tada68 PBT KEYCAPS and ENJOYPBT MAC COMPATIBILTY KIT

Do you guys have any advice on how I could purchase my missing keys? What I should look for?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mewse
May 2, 2006

meta² posted:

I just purchased some key caps off KBDFans but I am missing a few keys (I am an idiot). I ordered Tada68 PBT KEYCAPS and ENJOYPBT MAC COMPATIBILTY KIT

Do you guys have any advice on how I could purchase my missing keys? What I should look for?

The mac kit should cover some of those missing modifiers but IDK how you'd get the right shift. The tada68 set is made by enjoypbt, it's cherry profile dye sub pbt. You'd probably be best off asking kbdfans if there's a way you can get the missing keys.

Or just get a tada68 board rather than a 60%

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Hiya. I'm really enjoying my ducky, and want some more guidance. I joined a new job and it turns out we basically have an 'unlimited' budget for peripherals.

So, any recommendations for a mech that will not make other workers want to kill me? What kind of switches, should they be damped with O-rings etc.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
You'll probably want something with silenced switches and if price is no object it's hard to beat 62g Zilents in that category. Pair them with a hot swappable board like the Drop Ctrl or GMMK if you don't want to solder anything.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

someone talk me out of dropping $400 on an alu niz atom68, the HHKB we need, but do not deserve

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If you've got that kind of money to drop on a keyboard, you should just give me some. Like I'd be happy with $350, saving you $50, plus you'd be happy knowing you helped out a fellow human. You could probably even afford both things, that's only $750, why thats cheaper than a 2080ti

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Malcolm XML posted:

someone talk me out of dropping $400 on an alu niz atom68, the HHKB we need, but do not deserve

Can you sell $400 of older boards?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Malcolm XML posted:

I missed that announcement. Not going to talk you out of it. Good thing they're not doing a Micro 82 version of the case or I may be 2x $240 lighter. Err, or maybe I'll be $400 lighter, who knows. I still have an Atom 66 to sell first.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103669.msg2843928#msg2843928 has their responses.

This bit is very interesting: "In fact, we've invested much more money than what we expect to earn in this Group buy. We are a for-profit company but we're willing to invest in advance. This keyboard is the first attempt for a new market from a capacitive keyboard company."

Sounds like they're consciously trying to enter the DIY/customer/enthusiast market. I hope they do well.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

It does look like a very nice keyboard. I hope they keep going.

Stupid idea ahead: Optical keys with a spring and oil damping for each key. They have little stuff for tiny rc cars, right? The annoyance of having to adjust each one and maybe buy some kind of special key response meter could be spun as the advantage of personalization per key

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Can you sell $400 of older boards?

Anyone want a Realforce RGB? O.G., mostly unused. Plus I'll throw in some PBT keycaps.

v1ld posted:

I missed that announcement. Not going to talk you out of it. Good thing they're not doing a Micro 82 version of the case or I may be 2x $240 lighter. Err, or maybe I'll be $400 lighter, who knows. I still have an Atom 66 to sell first.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103669.msg2843928#msg2843928 has their responses.

This bit is very interesting: "In fact, we've invested much more money than what we expect to earn in this Group buy. We are a for-profit company but we're willing to invest in advance. This keyboard is the first attempt for a new market from a capacitive keyboard company."

Sounds like they're consciously trying to enter the DIY/customer/enthusiast market. I hope they do well.

$240 is really expensive for an alu case. I think they could have done it cheaper if they optimized. Still,,,,,,

taqueso posted:

If you've got that kind of money to drop on a keyboard, you should just give me some. Like I'd be happy with $350, saving you $50, plus you'd be happy knowing you helped out a fellow human. You could probably even afford both things, that's only $750, why thats cheaper than a 2080ti

I will exchange $ for aluminum keyboards,,

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Malcolm XML posted:

It's fairly close to a build it yourself type thing. It's farking sweeeet but that price.. ouch.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Malcolm XML posted:

$240 is really expensive for an alu case. I think they could have done it cheaper if they optimized. Still,,,,,,

For sure. I'm quite happy with the Micro 82 with its plastic case and nice POM keys (on the black version). The case is quite small and unobtrusive, enough so that shelling out the extra for the alu case is probably too much even for the person that bought 3 Niz boards in less than a year.

I hope to see EC tech get into the DIY market. Would love to have a Corne with EC switches for eg. Niz has been selling their switches for a while now, what's lacking is the PCB tech and QMK support. There are a couple of attempts at an open source EC PCB on the net, but nothing that went all the way. I suspect the QMK support will follow quite soon if the EC PCB is understood well.

Niz getting involved in this market is an exciting step. They make quality products and prices are quite reasonable for what you get, aluminium cases notwithstanding. They also iterate quite rapidly - they went from the dual Fn keys in the Atom 66 and Micro 84 that meant non-standard keys to the Micro 82 and Atom 68 with standard key sizes in 6-8 months, which was quite quick. And now less than another 6 months later, here they are with assemble-your-own keyboards. So hopefully they keep iterating on that side of things.

E: Recommend getting the 35g membrane, by the way. I got an extra 45g membrane to swap into the Atom 66 and ended up never using it since the 35g is so smooth once you get used to it.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 3, 2020

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Really underwhelming alu case for $240. That beveled edge design looks like any other Chinese aluminium case in the DIY market except it looks like it's high profile. For that price just for the case, I'd expect something a little more eye-catching. (a RAMA M60-A is $360 right now for a full kit for example)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

v1ld posted:

For sure. I'm quite happy with the Micro 82 with its plastic case and nice POM keys (on the black version). The case is quite small and unobtrusive, enough so that shelling out the extra for the alu case is probably too much even for the person that bought 3 Niz boards in less than a year.

I hope to see EC tech get into the DIY market. Would love to have a Corne with EC switches for eg. Niz has been selling their switches for a while now, what's lacking is the PCB tech and QMK support. There are a couple of attempts at an open source EC PCB on the net, but nothing that went all the way. I suspect the QMK support will follow quite soon if the EC PCB is understood well.

Niz getting involved in this market is an exciting step. They make quality products and prices are quite reasonable for what you get, aluminium cases notwithstanding. They also iterate quite rapidly - they went from the dual Fn keys in the Atom 66 and Micro 84 that meant non-standard keys to the Micro 82 and Atom 68 with standard key sizes in 6-8 months, which was quite quick. And now less than another 6 months later, here they are with assemble-your-own keyboards. So hopefully they keep iterating on that side of things.

E: Recommend getting the 35g membrane, by the way. I got an extra 45g membrane to swap into the Atom 66 and ended up never using it since the 35g is so smooth once you get used to it.

based on looking inside QMK support is unlikely. Their software happens to do all I care about from QMK, so I can configure it once and forget it.

Constellation I posted:

Really underwhelming alu case for $240. That beveled edge design looks like any other Chinese aluminium case in the DIY market except it looks like it's high profile. For that price just for the case, I'd expect something a little more eye-catching. (a RAMA M60-A is $360 right now for a full kit for example)

Agreed. But Niz is the only alternative to topre, and EC switches are the best.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Malcolm XML posted:

Anyone want a Realforce RGB? O.G., mostly unused. Plus I'll throw in some PBT keycaps.

I'm interested. I've wanted one forever.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Niz posted a comparison pic of all their current keyboards: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/ehlpj1/niz_keyboards_collective_photo/

The Atom 68 and Micro 82 use standard key sizes and are the ones I'd recommend. The dedicated function keys on the 82 are useful if you game.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I'm interested. I've wanted one forever.

PM'd

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
What is with the price jump for GMK keycaps? Recently got a new keyboard and even though the ABS keys that came with it feel fantastic new, I know that nice smoth-surface-but-with-a-resistant-coating feel will disappear within a few months (it's a Coolermaster MK730 - was going to get a GMMK barebones + PBTs and Gateron blues but a local site had a sale that made the Coolermaster 30 or 40% cheaper, even if I replaced all the keycaps). I was looking at the main vendor in my country - Australia - for some higher-end caps and... The price jump from PBTs to GMKs is from $45 - $70 to $180+, with some at $250. That's insane. Do they just last forever without developing a shine, or something?

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 4, 2020

mewse
May 2, 2006

Neurosis posted:

What is with the price jump for GMK keycaps? Recently got a new keyboard and even though the ABS keys that came with it feel fantastic new, I know that nice smoth-surface-but-with-a-resistant-coating feel will disappear within a few months (it's a Coolermaster MK730 - was going to get a GMMK barebones + PBTs and Gateron blues but a local site had a sale that made the Coolermaster 30 or 40% cheaper, even if I replaced all the keycaps). I was looking at the main vendor in my country - Australia - for some higher-end caps and... The price jump from PBTs to GMKs is from $45 - $70 to $180+, with some at $250. That's insane. Do they just last forever without developing a shine, or something?

My understanding is they are made using the original molds from cherry, the sets have good layout coverage, and.. they come in nice boxes. I’ve never bought a set, the price seems even worse than sets from signature plastics

Bumpy Johnson
Oct 9, 2012

Everything mewse said. They're doubleshot ABS made from the original Cherry molds in Germany and most every set is extremely limited-run/group buy-only, so scarcity plays into pricing as well (though extremely popular sets sometimes return for additional production runs). Do note that GMK absolutely will develop shine just the same and just as quickly as any other ABS keycaps.

Bumpy Johnson fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 4, 2020

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Search around for PBT sets on AliExpress. You'll find plenty of Cherry and OEM profile if that's what you're looking for. GMK is very expensive.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I'm looking for a new keyboard for my new computer; after some testing at the local Best Buy I'm looking mainly at Cherry Greens, though I'm also considering a Unicomp. How do they stack up in terms of feel? I definitely want clicky and heavier, but the mechanics are different and I'm not sure what difference that is going to make. And of course I can't easily test a Unicomp board to see how I like it. Can anybody tell me roughly how they compare?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Meaty Ore posted:

I'm looking for a new keyboard for my new computer; after some testing at the local Best Buy I'm looking mainly at Cherry Greens, though I'm also considering a Unicomp. How do they stack up in terms of feel? I definitely want clicky and heavier, but the mechanics are different and I'm not sure what difference that is going to make. And of course I can't easily test a Unicomp board to see how I like it. Can anybody tell me roughly how they compare?

I went from a Unicomp to cherry blues to cherry greens. They're hard to define comparitively because the buckling spring is kind of a thocky sound and feel and the cherries are all more of a click. I prefer the buckling spring but changed because I play games and the 2 key rollover, while not bad on the layout of the model m or unicomp, was limiting sometimes. Also buckling springs have limited customization for keycaps and cases and boards.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Neurosis posted:

It's all about supply and demand and how custom keycaps are such a niche product for a niche hobby.

Like people have mentioned, GMK now owns Cherry's tooling for double-shot ABS keycaps. What does that get you? Really thick double-shot ABS, a poo poo ton of colours, legends are crisp and "authentic", i.e. isn't blurry or have poo poo like "CapsLock" or random misalignment. Oh, and GMK is based out of Germany. Combine the costs of commissioning GMK to make the keycaps, with custom molds/colours and how these keycaps runs are always low production runs, you see the costs adding up.

Now, obviously even with those things, $180+ for a set is way too much money. If you take a look at how keycap runs are made, you can kind of see how it gets to that point. Basically it goes:

1. Keycap designer wants to have keycaps made OR vendor wants keycaps made and commissions a designer to design one (i.e. pick out colours and poo poo)
2. GMK isn't going to sell to any old Johnny Keyboard, they want a minimum order quantity and the money upfront
3. Designer/vendor runs an interest check on reddit, geekhack, etc. to see if people are even interested in buying it to meet the minimum order quantity
4. If all goes well, a group buy is started and money gets collected from the enthusiast crowd until the MOQ is hit
5. Once MOQ is hit and they get paid, GMK agrees to make the keycaps but at their own schedule (custom keycaps for a bunch of keyboard nerds aren't really at top of their priority list)

Now, obviously, the vendor wants to make some sort of profit with this, especially with the pricey GMK costs plus misc. costs like paying the designer, shipping materials and labour for packing+shipping, shipping costs to the buyers, etc. For large runs, these are usually around $100 to $150, which to me is reasonable for a full GMK set. The problem is the only people who can typically do runs at this lower price are established ones like Massdrop and other bigger vendors. They typically already have their shipping and distribution figured out and since they're popular, they can easily hit the minimum order quantities.

For the ones you're finding at $180+, a couple of those are usually when the vendor went ahead and ordered a run from GMK on a set that they know will sell really well as a limited run. (getting into bullshit sneaker territory here if you ask me). This way they can still profit with the higher upfront cost of ordering low runs from GMK. An example of this is GMK Hyperfuse. Or they reserved a number of sets from a "regular" run and marking up the price afterwards since there's only limited quantities left. They can typically do this because they own the design and are the only ones that can order another run from GMK.

Now with that said, there's a lot more cheaper options from China and they can do it for much cheaper since everything above can be done in China for cheap. They also have a bigger market since custom keyboard stuff is doing pretty well in TaoBao. Though if you check out the actually good quality sets like enjoyPBT and (some) JTK, their prices are creeping up to be around $100 as well. This is for Cherry profile, but you can kind of apply the same thing for SA and DSA and just swap GMK with Signature Plastics.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Constellation I posted:

This is for Cherry profile, but you can kind of apply the same thing for SA and DSA and just swap GMK with Signature Plastics.

Good summary, but just to be clear on the price part: Signature Plastics are far more reasonably priced than GMK. If you want SA/DSA profile, they're a good choice.

Some of the Chinese manufacturers sell their stuff on Amazon, so you can find Cherry/OEM profile there as well. The quality can be a bit mixed. This cherry Carbon set for eg is a bit rough around the edges, literally, and the colors aren't great but I got what I paid for: https://smile.amazon.com/YMDK-Profile-StandardMechanical-Keyboard/dp/B07QYTNL17

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Thanks for replies. Makes sense. I was never considering them anyway, but good to know I'm not missing out on much.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

v1ld posted:

Good summary, but just to be clear on the price part: Signature Plastics are far more reasonably priced than GMK. If you want SA/DSA profile, they're a good choice.

Some of the Chinese manufacturers sell their stuff on Amazon, so you can find Cherry/OEM profile there as well. The quality can be a bit mixed. This cherry Carbon set for eg is a bit rough around the edges, literally, and the colors aren't great but I got what I paid for: https://smile.amazon.com/YMDK-Profile-StandardMechanical-Keyboard/dp/B07QYTNL17

Eh, I wouldn't really say that. At least for the group buys. It depends on your layout and the breakout options per keyset. Most of the time, I've had to spend far more on SP keysets than GMK.

For my use case of 75% and 96-key layouts, take GMK Oblivion vs SA Oblivion for example (this is with the most price drops):

SA Oblivion:
- alphas $39.99
- modifiers $47.99 (only has TKL modifiers)
- extension modifiers $34.99 (for keys I need like a 1.75u right shift, a bunch of 1u keys for the bottom row, delete/end/pgdn R1's)
- numpad $30.99
total: $153

GMK Oblivion:
- base kit $115 (has every key you'd ever need from 60%, 75% to full layout)

It's why Maxkey SA keysets did pretty well since you can get a full usable set for a bit less.

For SP DSA group buys you can get a full set with numpad for about $100. But for the stuff readily available on PMK, most DSA sets are about $100 just for a TKL layout.

For the really cheap Chinese OEM profile stuff, I'd honestly spend a little bit more and get Tai Hao's for better colour and legend quality.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

HHKB got a refresh.......the GOAT is dead, long live the GOAT

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Yo, I just picked up a tenkeyless wired kb with detachable (USB-C) cord, and I'm wondering if there's any sort of transceiver type dongle or something that I could plug in to make it wireless. Looking for a temporary solution rather than some kind of hard mod, so I can switch back to wired whenever. Is this a thing people do or am I crazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Try searching "wireless USB extender". I didn't see any small ones. Something like a Logitech wireless USB thing would be a lot nicer than a Chromecast sized stick.