Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

PaybackJack posted:

The weaker AI might take a million years to win, and not completely eliminate you, but I think a lot of players will get frustrated and quit after losing their capital and a few cities.

In Civ6, it's not clear that the AI is able to take cities in the first place. It's not like in Civ4 where warmongering AIs will build doomstacks and will use them to crush you if you don't build up your own army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Kassad posted:

In Civ6, it's not clear that the AI is able to take cities in the first place. It's not like in Civ4 where warmongering AIs will build doomstacks and will use them to crush you if you don't build up your own army.

The AI can absolutely take cities. Germany took 2 of mine in a game awhile back (FrEleanor) by attacking me second after another Civ had already surprise attacked me. I didn't have a great army to begin with since my location was generally very defensible, but I got absolutely overrun.

That said, the attacks were very poorly planned and even a couple archers could have defended it - I was just stretched way too thin already.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The only time I've lost a game vs. the AI was when I was going for a military victory, and I accidentally conquered the wrong capital first, not noticing that the other AI had just converted my capital, ending with me losing to a religious victory.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Kassad posted:

It tries, but if you use terrain and cycle units in and out to heal you can beat it with army quarter their size. One unit per tile requires some advance planning in unit movement and AI doesn't seem to do it.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Recently started an emperor difficulty game as Rome and Hungary has declared war on me twice, each time I've beaten him back without losing a single city, and then I declared war on Hungary once because I had troops on my own border and he hot pissed since he settled a city touching my borders. I razed two of his cities and then peaced out hoping it would cripple him, it hasn't yet.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

PaybackJack posted:

PotatoMcWhiskey has a few videos where he tries to "save" a game that someone is losing and they're really his best stuff in my opinion, because it's really helpful to see how to try and salvage those games where I might normally just restart.

This was a great recommendation. Seeing how a good player plays under duress is kind of more interesting than a good game.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Chad Sexington posted:

This was a great recommendation. Seeing how a good player plays under duress is kind of more interesting than a good game.

Yeah, I wish he'd post the save file on a Dropbox or something because I'd love to be able to try and save them myself then see how he does it.

It's also interesting because you kind of assume that anyone who plays on Emperor difficulty is going to have his level of skill but clearly a lot of people don't, or rather they don't play 'optimally'. It's very helpful to listen to him describe where someone went wrong but also not have all the information regarding how the game unfolded.

His start to finish playthroughs are enjoyable but a bit formulaic if he isn't trying an interesting strategy.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

:siren: Attention Civ 4 players :siren:

I'm interested in setting up either pitbosses or blitzy multiplayer games (so something that can get done in a couple of days instead of several months).

Depending on interest we can do newbie + veteran teamgames, or a newbie game where the vets sit out, or just some sort of thunderdome.

I've hijacked a channel on the Dominions Discord so we can set stuff up there. https://discord.gg/9mUfwxd

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'd be up for that. please put me down as "absolute newbie"

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

It's also interesting because you kind of assume that anyone who plays on Emperor difficulty is going to have his level of skill but clearly a lot of people don't, or rather they don't play 'optimally'. It's very helpful to listen to him describe where someone went wrong but also not have all the information regarding how the game unfolded.

I'm not nearly as incompetent as, say, this person, but I definitely don't know all of the optimization tricks, so I'm really enjoying these videos.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Chucat posted:

:siren: Attention Civ 4 players :siren:

I'm interested in setting up either pitbosses or blitzy multiplayer games (so something that can get done in a couple of days instead of several months).

Depending on interest we can do newbie + veteran teamgames, or a newbie game where the vets sit out, or just some sort of thunderdome.

I've hijacked a channel on the Dominions Discord so we can set stuff up there. https://discord.gg/9mUfwxd

hell yeah

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I finally won a diplomatic victory in Civ 6! The trick is to be obscenely wealthy, apparently.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

So like in real life?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
And I finally won a war victory, on a dual map with Aztecs. :smug:

It's been three iterations of Civilization since I started playing and this is the first time I could be bothered to see one of these through.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Ragnar34 posted:

And I finally won a war victory, on a dual map with Aztecs. :smug:

It's been three iterations of Civilization since I started playing and this is the first time I could be bothered to see one of these through.

Yeah I only try for those on duel or tiny maps, because my computer is so old and slow that it would be impossibly frustrating otherwise.

DaddyBigBucks
Sep 28, 2003

Civ 6 (35% off) and the expansions (25% off) are on sale in the PS4 store. Has anyone tried these versions? Does it support mouse and kb? How is the multiplayer?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Doing a Maori game on archipelago map and it's been almost too easy. Hammers have been slightly hard to come by but the CPU must be having the same problem because they've been all buy buried since turn 100 or so.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

DaddyBigBucks posted:

Civ 6 (35% off) and the expansions (25% off) are on sale in the PS4 store. Has anyone tried these versions? Does it support mouse and kb? How is the multiplayer?

The Xbox version works great. Pretty sad that I paid full price. Don't know about your other questions

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Chad Sexington posted:

Doing a Maori game on archipelago map and it's been almost too easy. Hammers have been slightly hard to come by but the CPU must be having the same problem because they've been all buy buried since turn 100 or so.

My man have you tried Maori on Terra

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
https://store.steampowered.com/sale/2019_top_sellers/

...how?

its one of the platinum top sellers, what?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Being a good game is depressingly independent from being a good selling game.

Note that Dota2 is also platinum, despite being a f2p game that's inaccessible to new players, has a super toxic community while being exclusively multiplayer, and retains players via negative psychology (sunken cost fallacy, Stockholm syndrome, whatever you want to call it) instead of good gameplay.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/2019_top_sellers/

...how?

its one of the platinum top sellers, what?

Civ VI is a good game if you just want to chill out and play the game and roleplay taking some favorite leader/civ to a victory in a rather vanilla-ish way. It's also a well known, family safe and non-offensive on several levels. Gift wise: Even if you get Civ VI for someone else that doesn't generally like such games it's still a AAA game that runs smooth and no one who doesn't have it is really going to be upset to get it.

Civ VI is an absolutely horrible game if you want advanced AI for a proper wargame challenge.

It's something I kinda figured out during Civ V once it got to be decent/not poo poo: The more I learned about the game's mechanics and the more I tried to move up the difficulties the more I hated it. If you want to play at lower difficulties and just do whatever its great. If you want to play on higher difficulties it becomes "do the same thing every time to win".

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Civ VI is a good game

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
And so Is Dota. Lmao at haters.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Speaking of games that are good I started playing Civ 4: Colonization for the first time yesterday and I'm addicted, been playing non-stop.

It's like a resource management and logistics game, but with a strong Civ feel to it, which is right up my street. It has grabbed me in a way that Anno never quite could.

Edit: this probably ought to just become the general Civilization thread now really. Maybe I'll do up the OP.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Ragnar34 posted:

My man have you tried Maori on Terra

Probably going to give Maori a rest for a bit. Surged to a culture victory by like 1900.

Great way to pass the time at my in-laws'.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Chad Sexington posted:

Probably going to give Maori a rest for a bit. Surged to a culture victory by like 1900.

Great way to pass the time at my in-laws'.

Another quick game setting: Korea on Any world. See not IF you get science victory but how hard you do it. Get the Oracle for bonus Great Person points and the Governor that gives you a Great Person point multiplier in the city he's in and suck the Scientist list dry.

Terra's also legit good if you want to go warmongering. You lose out on City States but the rest of the civs are all squeezed together on half of the map.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Alkydere posted:

Another quick game setting: Korea on Any world. See not IF you get science victory but how hard you do it. Get the Oracle for bonus Great Person points and the Governor that gives you a Great Person point multiplier in the city he's in and suck the Scientist list dry.

Is this something only added in the expansions? I still have vanilla 6 cause I was too disappointed by it to reward them with more purchases

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

Is this something only added in the expansions? I still have vanilla 6 cause I was too disappointed by it to reward them with more purchases

Oh yeah, Korea, and the governors, were both from Rise and Fall.

But yeah, Korea is straight THE monster science civ. Unique (so therefore cheap) Campus district that has no adjacency bonuses. Instead it gets a flat +4 science and LOSES a point for every adjacent district or city center. It also gives +1 food to adjacent farms and +1 science to adjacent mines. On top of that every city with a governor gets +3% Science and Culture for each promotion a governor has.

Oh and they get a Hwacha which...exists? No one cares about Korea's UU after everything else.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Australia is equally strong on science, with some potentially absurd adjacency bonuses and the housing advantage for settling on a coast.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Alkydere posted:

Civ VI is a good game if you just want to chill out and play the game and roleplay taking some favorite leader/civ to a victory in a rather vanilla-ish way. It's also a well known, family safe and non-offensive on several levels. Gift wise: Even if you get Civ VI for someone else that doesn't generally like such games it's still a AAA game that runs smooth and no one who doesn't have it is really going to be upset to get it.

This is what I want to do but Civ6 is poo poo for it. Your cities have no identity and the AI is so bad it's really really noticeable even as a player who played Civ4 on marathon and didn't build a military unit until tanks were available.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Taear posted:

Your cities have no identity

You are confused about this. Civ VI districts create more city identity than any previous Civ game.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

homullus posted:

You are confused about this. Civ VI districts create more city identity than any previous Civ game.

Yeah, cities are more unique than ever

Let's bash civ 6 for its many glaring issues, not for what they got right

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

homullus posted:

Yes building the same districts in 50 different cities sure makes them exciting to me.

ICS ruins the game for me utterly and totally and it's the best way to play Civ6, that's why my cities have no personality. I just throw them wherever. Districts don't make a difference to this especially since I'm not really planning much I just put the best ones down and that "best ones" calculation doesn't really change.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah if you want to be boring and always build the same city in any condition, sure, you can do that

But even then, the district system and the fact wonders and other building occupies tiles and the fact terrain determines what you can and cannot build a lot more than in any civ before ensures no city will be the same

In any case, they are a lot less samey then it ever was in a civ game. I dont think thats arguable

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Well I kind of agree with both sides. In many ways there is an optimal ICS strategy but fortunately for me personally I compensate by not being very good, and also trying to randomly complete achievements. I'm not winning on Deity difficulty but I have a good time beating up on a dumb AI and trying to get... 5 silver mines at once. And sometimes I build different districts, depending on the available terrain/bonus tiles (?).

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Taear posted:

Yes building the same districts in 50 different cities sure makes them exciting to me.

your first few cities will be different though, simply because you need to go for the eurekas and inspirations before they expire

city 5 to 20 will be the same simply because there won't be enough time for them to specialize

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
"Why do they put such strict limits on how many civs you can add to smaller maps?" I asked myself. Then I tried playing on a small Terra map with the max number of civs and it was unbearable. All decent land claimed immediately, no time to build up, population pressure making half the cities swap back and forth between civs every ten turns - just terrible and no fun at all. I restarted three times before giving up completely.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

showbiz_liz posted:

"Why do they put such strict limits on how many civs you can add to smaller maps?" I asked myself. Then I tried playing on a small Terra map with the max number of civs and it was unbearable. All decent land claimed immediately, no time to build up, population pressure making half the cities swap back and forth between civs every ten turns - just terrible and no fun at all. I restarted three times before giving up completely.

I mean...or you could have gone full warmonger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah if you want to be boring and always build the same city in any condition, sure, you can do that

But even then, the district system and the fact wonders and other building occupies tiles and the fact terrain determines what you can and cannot build a lot more than in any civ before ensures no city will be the same

In any case, they are a lot less samey then it ever was in a civ game. I dont think thats arguable

Most districts don't really add identity to a city. A campus doesn't affect the city it's in directly at all, since science is pooled at the civ level, same for theatre districts and holy sites. Harbors/commercial districts are pretty much ubiquitous. Entertainment districts are more of a late game thing I think, and with the auras it doesn't matter much if the city or a neighbouring one has the district. Same for industrial districts. Encampments are the only specialty district that really gives a city identity to me. Cities definitely feel like they have less identity than in 4, where the epics/moai/other national wonders gave cities strong identities and a commerce city, a military production city and a great person farm had completely different tile improvements/buildings. But in 6 having a campus in a city doesn't really affect what else you build in the city. I think cities in 5 might have had stronger identities too, though that might have been just because you generally had less of them.