Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Glagha posted:

I managed to convince my friend to play it and stream it and I've been enjoying seeing a blind playthrough of it but he missed Smuggler and the sewers in Hell's Kitchen the first time through so I hope that won't end up being an issue.

Won't end up being an issue. My brother and I weren't aware that the Hell's Kitchen sewer level existed for a long time, to the point that we first found it using level jump cheat codes. Similar situation with the fact that you could save Paul and he would appear later in the game. One of the big things that makes the game great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

My experience of that was finding out you could interview the nsf prisoner with Simons a full decade+ after first playing the game.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Bar Ran Dun posted:

My experience of that was finding out you could interview the nsf prisoner with Simons a full decade+ after first playing the game.

... What?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Neurosis posted:

... What?

You can follow Simon's to the holding cells underneath unatco hq after the liberty island level.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

You can follow Simon's to the holding cells underneath unatco hq after the liberty island level.

Yep. It's the source of the famous "Get the hell out of here, Denton!"

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
lol i noclip'd thru the wall to talk to that guy

chad (in the paris catacombs) also has a lot to say, and it's easy to miss because they're just "NPC barks" rather than an actual conversation. you assume hes going to start repeating himself like everyone else in the game, but he actually has a shitload of dialogue

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

loving

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Wait, I knew you could listen in on him interviewing the prisoner. You can talk to him yourself?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
“Get out Denton. This doesn’t concern you”

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've only played Deus Ex once, with the Shifter mod and whatever k00l texture pack was around then. Is there any hint oir chance of some anniversary thing happening?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Glagha posted:

Wait, I knew you could listen in on him interviewing the prisoner. You can talk to him yourself?

Just run through the door when it opens for Simons to go in.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Khanstant posted:

I've only played Deus Ex once, with the Shifter mod and whatever k00l texture pack was around then. Is there any hint oir chance of some anniversary thing happening?
I doubt it. Square is really dumb and likely won't acknowledge it.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

lol i noclip'd thru the wall to talk to that guy

chad (in the paris catacombs) also has a lot to say, and it's easy to miss because they're just "NPC barks" rather than an actual conversation. you assume hes going to start repeating himself like everyone else in the game, but he actually has a shitload of dialogue

Learning this led me to be the person who annoyingly clicks on every NPC over and over in the hopes they'll say something interesting. New DE with its canned "two lines per character" undid it pretty well though.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I once went in there and used some cigarettes in front of the prisoner, trying to blow smoke in his face like a villainous interrogator.
A mod (probably Shifter) had added damage to the little smoke cloud that Denton exhales.

Turns out those prisoners have like, 1HP, so Denton puffed some smoke in the guy's face and he immediately dropped dead.

Simons posted:

"Jesus Christ, Denton."

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Yeah and then the MIB in the base are terribly disappointed. :smith:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Hey does anyone else notice that these two MiB both seem be robots or something? No? Ok

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Helianthus Annuus posted:

has anyone tried this "community update" for GMDX?

https://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx-v10-community-update

i;ve given it a shot

gmdx v9 had some game-breaking exploits in it (e.g., fully upgraded nano sword opens all locks), which are reverted in gmdx v10. v10 is much more of a "vanilla+" experience than gmdx v9, so i recommend v10 to players looking for that

v10 reverts a bunch of fun stuff in v9 (the OP laser mod, damage mods, opening locks with a huge sword). it also takes stuff from v9 that was arguably not so fun (stamina bar) and makes it optional

the change list for v10 is super long. it's clear that a lot of work was put into this, and many opinionated decisions were made. https://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx-v10-community-update/news/gmdx-v10-community-update-release-changelog

overall, i like it, and it has been very cool to play these mods which introduce little variations on the original

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Has anyone here played Deus Ex "The Conspiracy" for PS2? Apart from mouse-aiming being clearly superior, I just wondered how it was compared to PC. I fear that it would be greatly stripped down in complexity and probably having tiny levels due to console limitations (see: Thief Deadly Shadows), but I'd like to be proven wrong.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
the levels are chopped up to fit into the limited ps2 memory

there are little changes in the maps to accommodate that, which are a detriment overall

there are new cutscenes in the ps2 game though, which you can find on youtube

give it a try if you want, but i would be shocked if anyone made it all the way thru the game

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Fun fact, the PS2 version supports USB mice and keyboards. Younger me played it that way before getting my own PC :)

You're stuck with the same weird keybinds that the PC version defaults to though.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
god those default binds on PC were atrocious

didn't know about the kb+m support for dx

unrelated, but i can tell you that half life for ps2 had kb+m support too

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

JustJeff88 posted:

Has anyone here played Deus Ex "The Conspiracy" for PS2? Apart from mouse-aiming being clearly superior, I just wondered how it was compared to PC. I fear that it would be greatly stripped down in complexity and probably having tiny levels due to console limitations (see: Thief Deadly Shadows), but I'd like to be proven wrong.

It's a perfectly adequate port (by the standard of the time it was exceptional), but it's a 2002 console port of a PC game that lives on mainly in modded form, so there's no reason to play it today outside of curiosity's sake.

Location-based health is gone in favor of a traditional health bar (and it retains Realistic's rule that headshots are fatal for everyone, which means that Hard is still harder than Realistic in practice even though you have half as much health on Realistic). Probably the most drastic change overall is the inventory system, which discards the Tetris space-management system entirely in favor only letting you carry up to four firearms regardless of size, one of each melee weapon (not that you'd need any of them other than the baton and the DT), plus up to one full stack of each and every stackable item (medkits, LAMs, each kind of food, each kind of ammo, etc). Having to worry solely about item quantity rather than item size does change how you think about what to carry: the GEP gun becomes a much more viable weapon, but pistols and augs require more conscious resource management since you can't hoard multiple piles of ammo or energy cells.

As far as changes to levels go, some of the larger levels are split up with twistier hallways or ugly walls of corrugated metal. Liberty Island is the level that suffers the most obviously: the dock where you start and the UNATCO entrance are together behind one load screen, the area outside the statue is split into two more areas, the statue interior is a fourth, and then of course there's another when you go down the hall into UNATCO HQ proper. (Although the PS2 version's choice to move the start so that it leads directly to the UNATCO exterior is probably a structural improvement over the start of the game as-is, since it more effectively signals to a new player that this is an exploration game with shooting elements rather than a shooter with exploration elements.) Meanwhile, other sprawling levels like the airport that seem like they'd be at least as large in terms of memory are essentially untouched, which makes the universally smaller levels of DX:IW feel diminished even in comparison to the PS2 port of the original.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

So can you not carry fire extinguishers? Why even play then?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
So I understand Deus Ex PS2 port is Dishonored.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I'm currently trying to do a run of Liberty Island where I don't shoot anyone but I have Paul engage with everyone for me as he chases to deliver the initial conversation. I've managed to use him to clear about half the grounds but at some point I either get lethally shot whilst waiting for him or he accidentally reaches me before I've led him through all the NSF. Has anyone successfully done this? I'm hoping I can get him all the way up the statue but I don't even know if he can climb (like if I go around the outside will he go inside to reach me?). It's a silly way to play but I'm having fun just trying and I get a little farther everytime!

I'm curious if there's any dialogue changes if you complete the mission before he can talk to you at all (maybe after this).

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

jojoinnit posted:

I'm currently trying to do a run of Liberty Island where I don't shoot anyone but I have Paul engage with everyone for me as he chases to deliver the initial conversation. I've managed to use him to clear about half the grounds but at some point I either get lethally shot whilst waiting for him or he accidentally reaches me before I've led him through all the NSF. Has anyone successfully done this? I'm hoping I can get him all the way up the statue but I don't even know if he can climb (like if I go around the outside will he go inside to reach me?). It's a silly way to play but I'm having fun just trying and I get a little farther everytime!

I'm curious if there's any dialogue changes if you complete the mission before he can talk to you at all (maybe after this).

Why would you deprive yourself of the pleasure of shooting a number of "terrorists" in the arse with tranq darts that make them run around screaming for a bit before passing out, which isn't terribly "tranquil"? :)

I'm joking, of course... that does sound like a fun meta-game challenge.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Figure you'd end up painted into a corner either at the top of the statue, the holding cell area at the base, or the pier where the Illuminati homeless man is.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Yeah engaging with the pier is a mistake, and I haven't tackled the statue yet so I haven't quite decided how to tackle that but the optimal plan feels like I have to leave poor Gunther and go around the outside, hoping the AI can get Paul to follow me as I jump and climb.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

jojoinnit posted:

You can also do this by giving Gunther a knife instead of a pistol when you let him out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cenmlaW8qiU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

jojoinnit posted:

He'll probably chastise you for your (actually his) bodycount because the game doesn't track who did the kills and just assumes it was you.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
IIRC all the chastising for body counts has zero to do with actual body counts (which are not tracked at all), but rather key conversations and other flags. The Quartermaster in UNATCO is based off of whether you told the troopers in NYC to keep their gas grenades or not, and the 'cowardice after NYC' barks random troopers give you is based off of participating on the huge firefight just beyond the 'ton hotel. That second one bugged me for ages, as I'd always just walk into the 'ton asap and never knew there was a scripted firefight just around the corner for years.

Well, at least those two things are. There might be someone somewhere that had a body count trigger implemented for them. I think the cyborgs like you if you take the front entrance to the Clinton Park thingie.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Paul's "you're a total jackass" conversation is specifically scripted of the number off bodies with the "dead" adjective on Liberty Island. So if you eat gib everything you kill, he's totally cool with the slaughter.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 31, 2019

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I'm so close! The key is to keep Paul following close but not too close and pace the NSF between you so he doesn't lose you and stop chasing or catch up too early and trigger the conversation. I found the best way to maintain running past everyone is to level up medicine to advanced and run with them in hand. I did spawn a few to make it easier though since you only start with one. I've also given up on fresh starts and am savescumming.

Paul is a beast with the Plasma rifle but he runs out of clips around the time I complete the outer circle so it's swords on out. I had so much time to kill and hide inside the statue waiting for him to kill the robot by hacking at it. I could probably have freed Gunther and had two murderbots but I was scared of getting trapped by Paul trying to go from the door to the stairs since I didn't know how long it would take him to finish with the bot and NSF outside and run inside the statue. Paul absolutely cannot climb so the outside was a dead stop and I had to go back a couple saves and plan for the front entrance. Soon as you climb the first box Paul just waits dumbly at the bottom like an idiot.

Right now I'm near the top, trying to not getting killed in the tiny spaces while waiting for Paul to catch up without him getting too close too early.

When he catches me in the stairwell the camera simply cannot handle it:

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 31, 2019

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

And I did it! I brought Paul all the way to the top of the statue where he waited dumbly once I climbed the ladder to talk to the NSF commander:

After the conversation he spawns over to the UNATCO doors of course. Strangely enough you guys were wrong. Everyone is praising me for not massacring anyone:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I hope you at least remembered that tossing stuff at him / shooting him briefly interrupts his scripts and allows you to run past?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1ubWxcj2FU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

jojoinnit posted:

And I did it! I brought Paul all the way to the top of the statue where he waited dumbly once I climbed the ladder to talk to the NSF commander:

After the conversation he spawns over to the UNATCO doors of course. Strangely enough you guys were wrong. Everyone is praising me for not massacring anyone:

This is a Deus Ex achievment on the level of the guy who beat the game with TNT crates. I didn't think I'd see someone do something new with this 20 year old game, but there you have it.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

jojoinnit posted:

nice job

this is dx af

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

jojoinnit posted:

Strangely enough you guys were wrong. Everyone is praising me for not massacring anyone:
Weird. Are you playing vanilla, no mods? Revision gives Paul non-lethal weapons.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

Weird. Are you playing vanilla, no mods? Revision gives Paul non-lethal weapons.

was wondering the same thing

i remember him having a mini crossbow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Yes, completely vanilla with only Kenties launcher to make it play nicely with W10. Paul only had a plasma rifle and then the sword, nothing non-lethal. Based on the part you quoted, do you expect the flagging and subsequent dialogue would be different with Biomod or Revision?