Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I need a mini ongoing of Sinister watching cable and commenting on other Marvel events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Archyduchess posted:

Look I get it but for the sake of appearances I just want to remind everyone that barring grey areas like very old stuff and possibly (?) manga scanlations of unlicensed stuff (????) talking about getting stuff or reading stuff illegally (one way or the other) is a no-no. Do what you need to do but please wait a few days to talk about it until it's out out.

Oh sure. I just work at a comic shop so it is just books we have sitting in the back. If talking about unreleased books is against the rules, no worries.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You should just qualify with how you got to read the book. It’s good to know a book is good ahead of time. I got to read the preview copy of Mister Miracle last year, and I made sure everyone knew how good it was.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Oh sure. I just work at a comic shop so it is just books we have sitting in the back. If talking about unreleased books is against the rules, no worries.

Apologies then, nitpick retracted. You're all good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

You should just qualify with how you got to read the book. It’s good to know a book is good ahead of time. I got to read the preview copy of Mister Miracle last year, and I made sure everyone knew how good it was.

I remember going back to the store to read it based on how hype you were.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I am actually super annoyed that I have most of the order still in its boxes. I decided to not unpack and inventory everything early, because I would just have to pack and unpack them all again when I actually pull the order. I am glad that I uncovered Thor when digging for reorders in those boxes.

It feels like a pretty nice continuation of what Aaron was doing with Thor while also feeling distinct. Thor grunting a little as he lifts the hammer now that he is king is just such a nice little character moment. Head and shoulders above his Guardians book.

I will say that I am right on the edge about being sick of him always using the same characters in every single book. Silver Surfer is here fresh out of Silver Surfer Black, and fits. I guess why not throw in Cosmic Ghost Rider. :shrug:

Star Wars #1 also good. Soule knows what he is doing. The strangest thing about this week is that DC doesn't have a big thing to kick off the year. Especially when they released nothing last week.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chip Zdarsky got suspended from Twitter for reasons unknown other than violating their terms of service, which could have been something like 'Nazis are bad, actually" or "I do not care for the ideas TERFs espouse." I don't know if he's made himself a CG target in the past but it certainly feels like a report bomb.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
He'll be back, but it loving sucks.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

He probably jokingly threatened another creator, and some jackass reported him.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It was his butt

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1211606256466759680

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah that’s about right for Zdarsky.

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1211463918369017857?s=21

:same:

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 30, 2019

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

https://twitter.com/JoeQuesada/status/1211668937135382528

:newlol:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1211702115984453634

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I’m really enjoying how nuts these last couple issues of Avengers have been. This last issue has Cap smacking Brood Thor with his own hammer, and Ghost Rider on the Surfer’s board riding a wave of flame. Captain Corsair, She Hulk’s vibranium gear, Brood Thor, and War Widow all look great too.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Man, these Dawn of X trades are the worst idea Marvel has had in a while.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLbMWiw6Y0A

Empyre is an Avengers/FF event by AL EWING and Dan Slott

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Man, these Dawn of X trades are the worst idea Marvel has had in a while.

I like it. All events should have collected editions done in this way.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

I like it. All events should have collected editions done in this way.

Not the delightful hardcover of House and Powers. That thing is absolutely wonderful.

Instead of normal graphic novels by title, instead they are doing a Dawn of X Vol 1 with all the #1 issues... OK, sure. But then a volume 2 with all the number 2s, and so on.

So to read the first arc of any given X title a customer will need 6 $17.99 books. And they all come out very close together because each book comes out twice a month. This X-men relaunch has been huge for my store, but this is going to really hurt long term.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

There's going to be regular trades for each title later on.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Roth posted:

I assumed this would have to happen, so that is good to know. Not sure if I will stock these though. Just seem so bad.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

If Fallen Angels wasn’t a total waste of paper, those trades wouldn’t be bad. Dawn of X for the most part is doing a good job of expanding on the framework built during HoX/PoX. The New Mutants infographic showing the dormitories for the various young mutant groups was inspired.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Not the delightful hardcover of House and Powers. That thing is absolutely wonderful.

Instead of normal graphic novels by title, instead they are doing a Dawn of X Vol 1 with all the #1 issues... OK, sure. But then a volume 2 with all the number 2s, and so on.

So to read the first arc of any given X title a customer will need 6 $17.99 books. And they all come out very close together because each book comes out twice a month. This X-men relaunch has been huge for my store, but this is going to really hurt long term.

I know, those are what I'm talking about. That's almost exactly what I'd want the trades to be for event stuff. Chronological, everything the happened in the event. My only issue is they should be oversized and have at least one arc of each book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
But the new X books aren't really event books and have barely anything to do with each other. I mean, it's Hickman running things so it'll probably all tie together eventually, but for the moment there's no real reason to read any of the books that don't interest you, and when it does all come together you could probably just get caught up reading wiki summaries. I'm currently reading everything and I'm probably gonna be looking at wikis in a year just to remind myself of stuff I've already read

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

FoneBone posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLbMWiw6Y0A

Empyre is an Avengers/FF event by AL EWING
Yes!

quote:

and Dan Slott
Noooo!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yes!

Noooo!

my feelings

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

But the new X books aren't really event books and have barely anything to do with each other. I mean, it's Hickman running things so it'll probably all tie together eventually, but for the moment there's no real reason to read any of the books that don't interest you, and when it does all come together you could probably just get caught up reading wiki summaries. I'm currently reading everything and I'm probably gonna be looking at wikis in a year just to remind myself of stuff I've already read

Each of them acknowledge the events taking place in the other and seem to be progressing in the exact order they come out.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Roth posted:

And not much later from memory? A few weeks for the most part?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

My problem with the Dawn of X trades is mostly from a retailer perspective. The X books are so popular that all my customers who would normally trade wait on them are actually buying the single issues, which is fantastic. So people who actually read comics regularly won't need to buy them in graphic novel form (more or less).

My concern is for people who come in totally out of the blue and just want to read "A new X-men book". I would obviously sell them the graphic novels that collect just one title, because they can get at least a single story about a coherent group of characters. Getting someone to buy 6 1/6ths of a story? Dumb. I will admit it would be better if Fallen Angels wasn't garbage, and Excalibur is right on the edge even though it is about characters I like.

I am a huge fan of Hickman and the X-men so all of this is perfectly designed to appeal to me. Sales for all of the books have been better than X-men books have been in a very long time especially considering how well all the titles are doing rather than just the primary X-Title. People are starting to be surprised that all the books are twice a month and are starting to think about if they really need all 6 titles. Them slowing down is inevitable, but I think some are just going to crumble into ruin quickly.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Well, as far as excuses for Thor getting his arm and eye back go, the one Cates uses isn't half bad.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Yeah, I'm enjoying the redesign so far - some of the cover variants they show in the Director's Cut really play with it. I'm enjoying the 80s music video vibe I'm getting from the hair and faceplate.

The framework seems to be picking up from Aaron's "Bigger, More Epic!" vibe too, except with maybe a bit more cosmic and a little less heavy-metal van. Eitherway I'm cautiously optimistic.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
is thor yet another cates book about knull

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

site posted:

:)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Cates' stuff often puts me to sleep but Thor had a strong start with a fun hook, and Nic Klein's work was gorgeous. I think Cates is a little more hamhanded with handling that extravagance of scale that sort of became Aaron's trademark, but I had fun with this.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

site posted:

Cates has said that this run explicitly is NOT tied to his Venom stuff.

https://twitter.com/Doncates/status...eature-knull%2F

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
cant imagine why anyone would think that, its not like knull comprises 90% of his output or anything

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

site posted:

cant imagine why anyone would think that, its not like knull comprises 90% of his output or anything

I honestly think that there's no way to make Knull cool at this point. It was kind of a cool concept to separate Venom from Spider-Man a bit more and tie him in with the cosmic and mythology parts of Marvel, but then it kept going. At this point, short of literally having him show up with all the gravitas of Darkseid, there's no way for it to work.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i envision cates in a jim starlin situation where he just forsakes being able to do any other marvel book to poo poo out knull ogns until something happens to piss off both parties and he quits

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Cates's Thor just picks up all of Silver Surfer Black stuff from his Cates's SIlver Surfer run (where he's infected by Knull) and thrusts Thor and Cosmic Ghost Rider and Galactus and co. into a storyline involving a mysterious inevitable mega-powerful universe-shattering menace that represents a devouring black nothingness, I don't know why anyone would think this sounds like it's tied into Knull at all!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

i envision cates in a jim starlin situation where he just forsakes being able to do any other marvel book to poo poo out knull ogns until something happens to piss off both parties and he quits

It reminds me of Steve Englehart and Mantis being the Celestial Madonna. I think he's taken her across at least three comic companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

site posted:

Extremely same. I am a huge fan of most of the stuff Cates has done at Marvel, but I am over it. Knull peaked as a cool sword in the God Butcher story from years before.

Loved the new Thor, other than rolling my eyes at Cosmic Ghost Rider being in it.