Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

I literally don't even remember a Daisy Fitzroy :newlol: Were they the resistance leader? (Not that it matters.)

Yeah it's a painfully ill-advised "maybe both sides :downs:" that has all the subtlety of well... a video game made for teenage boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i never got the "truth is in the middle" south-park weedling vibe from b:i despite that being a major point of contention for everyone else, it felt a lot more like "this situation is totally hosed and there are no magic happy endings despite your good intentions" which tied into the final cutscene really well

the last third of the game where you're fighting like ghost trumpets and angry ghost mom and stuff really does suck badly though

never played any of the DLC so i can't weigh in on how terrible it is

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lodin posted:

I wish games would start having manuals again and I don't care if they're only digital. Also, they don't need poo poo like instructions for controls and gameplay, that's what tutorials are for. Instead give me a bunch of fluff and some cool artwork as a nice bonus.
A recent good example would be The Signal from Tölva, a STALKERish FPS where you fart about some mysterious planet hijacking robutts and shooting other 'butts. Very little in the game itself is explained and you don't really need to understand any of it. If you do on the other hand, it comes with a 48 page booklet that explains the whole backstory, has a glossary and a bunch of concept art. It was a cool little discovery.

iirc tenth line had a basic digital manual with some interesting official art and sketches in

but then that depends on how much you like playing Furry Valkyrie Profile

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
So this thread is seeming to generate more reports lately. Lotsa bickering and slapfights. Try to focus on like video games instead of that poo poo. We’re not seeing bigotry being posted, other than old punished rap sheets, so let’s keep this thread on the rails so you nerds can fight about nerd games. Post about games, not posters. Report bigotry. Tia

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I pmed razorrozar and razorrozar pmed me and we worked out our issues like grownups. I would recommend this approach to others in the future! I'm sorry if my bad posts and jokes in the past gave the impression that I wished ill on any of you and I genuinely wish you all the best.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

i never got the "truth is in the middle" south-park weedling vibe from b:i despite that being a major point of contention for everyone else, it felt a lot more like "this situation is totally hosed and there are no magic happy endings despite your good intentions" which tied into the final cutscene really well

the last third of the game where you're fighting like ghost trumpets and angry ghost mom and stuff really does suck badly though

never played any of the DLC so i can't weigh in on how terrible it is

Songbird deserved better :(

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

poverty goat posted:

I pmed razorrozar and razorrozar pmed me and we worked out our issues like grownups. I would recommend this approach to others in the future! I'm sorry if my bad posts and jokes in the past gave the impression that I wished ill on any of you and I genuinely wish you all the best.

confirming, everything's cool now. apologies, burt.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Wtfwtfwtf!,,,,,,,,,!

Adults? Having fun?!

Good job being examples of decent humans.

I really hate jumping in on poo poo like that, so y’all know. Goons...good?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
How can someone sit there and say video games "have never been and never will be art"? Although it's a fair point to question the artistic merits of most video games, to sit there and say it's not an artistic medium is absurd. Video games are still in their relative infancy, and I'm sure they compare pretty well to the absurdity that was early film. I would even argue that video games are more engaging than film because it has direct interaction, which helps substitute for the lack of interpretation and projection when compared to literature. Just because something like Call of Duty isn't art doesn't mean something like Half Life 2 or System Shock 2 can't be considered artistic.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

DildenAnders posted:

How can someone sit there and say video games "have never been and never will be art"? Although it's a fair point to question the artistic merits of most video games, to sit there and say it's not an artistic medium is absurd. Video games are still in their relative infancy, and I'm sure they compare pretty well to the absurdity that was early film. I would even argue that video games are more engaging than film because it has direct interaction, which helps substitute for the lack of interpretation and projection when compared to literature. Just because something like Call of Duty isn't art doesn't mean something like Half Life 2 or System Shock 2 can't be considered artistic.

A picture of Campbell tomato soup is art. Everything is. Like my posts.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’ve noticed that there is pretty much a 100% crossover between the posters who like to declare that games can’t be art and posters who’s opinions are consistently terrible about everything.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

is pepsi ok posted:

Yeah I love the game but I always maintain that that was an irredeemable flaw.
Right before that is what made me check out of the plot and world. Because you open a tear into a new reality, and it's made into this huge thing complete with a text warning saying you can never come back. So everything you did/struggled for in World 1 is just tossed away. And you end up jumping into a reality that's incongruous with your experience thus far so there's no weight to the mindless slaughter of skyracists.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
People saying video games are art really just want video games to be fancy things their parents will respect them for owning because they can't stand the opera

It ain't gonna happen even when you get the video game equivalent of Oscar winners folks. Also have you looked at oscar winners lately, it's almost entirely the worst pandering to rich white people poo poo

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Worrying about whether stuff is or isnt art is pretentious wankery, because art is such an ambiguous term.

Just enjoy it for what it is and dont worry about which worthless labels to give it.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

FoolyCharged posted:

Worrying about whether stuff is or isnt art is pretentious wankery, because art is such an ambiguous term.

Just enjoy it for what it is and dont worry about which worthless labels to give it.

All true, but thinking about changing my name to Pretentious Wankery.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

People saying video games are art really just want video games to be fancy things their parents will respect them for owning because they can't stand the opera

It ain't gonna happen even when you get the video game equivalent of Oscar winners folks. Also have you looked at oscar winners lately, it's almost entirely the worst pandering to rich white people poo poo

Do you spend a lot of time worrying about what your parents think about your media consumption choices, or do you just have them regularly send you screenshots of their Netflix queue to ensure that you're always in compliance with their standards?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Please take the discussion of what is and is not art to the unpopular modern art opinions thread because those assholes have some really whacky ideas about what constitutes high art

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Seriously if you think calling disco Elysium art is a civilizational crisis just wait till you find out about Jackson Pollock

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Plz link that because it sounds hilarious

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Its super easy to be art, just make something creative to try to make someone feel something, its not some high achievement to be called "art" and it doesn't have to be good or even original.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
the only cogent argument ive seen against video games being art is that their creators do not have control over the way the consumer interfaces with the product

but, like, isn't the consumer's reaction an integral part of art? allowing the consumer more freedom in how they react doesn't make it not art

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I gotta be honest, I’m really confused what my parents’ dislike of opera has to do with video games at all.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

DildenAnders posted:

I'm not entirely serious when I say video games "have never been and never will be art" but I personally don't think of them as anything more than a time-wasting leisure activity.

I am entirely serious when I say story in video games is usually poor and in an ideal world there would be just enough of it to justify the gameplay, nothing more or less. And gameplay should always 100000% come before story in a video game, full stop.

System Shock 2 is one of my favorite games and it is entirely because of SHODAN who is a super interesting character and who, more importantly, is obviously super interested in the protagonist. I don't know if feeling that way about her makes me a hypocrite or not.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I'm not entirely serious when I say video games "have never been and never will be art" but I personally don't think of them as anything more than a time-wasting leisure activity.

I am entirely serious when I say story in video games is usually poor and in an ideal world there would be just enough of it to justify the gameplay, nothing more or less. And gameplay should always 100000% come before story in a video game, full stop.

System Shock 2 is one of my favorite games and it is entirely because of SHODAN who is a super interesting character and who, more importantly, is obviously super interested in the protagonist. I don't know if feeling that way about her makes me a hypocrite or not.

No one loving cares nerd

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Sorry that was out of line. I’ll check out of this thread now lol

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

You're lucky QCS is still closed or I'd be making a thread right fuckin now.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

you're not wrong about the stories being poor but lack of quality alone isn't enough to disqualify something from being art imo

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Unpopular Opinion: Night Trap and other early FMV games of its ilk actually had a pretty cool idea for their main gameplay loop that's worth further exploration. Five Nights At Freddy's wasn't a super deep game but it proved that the setup of being a vulnerable meat bag with only a janky security system standing between you and death has a lot of potential.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Hell, even the Make My Video games were kinda on to something. What if you replaced all of the music videos and public domain crap with a bunch of weird poo poo out of The Ring and were tasked with arranging it into a film that could summon a demon?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

art is the song in your heart and the story in your soul, and also the video game idea you have

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Horror has always been something video games do really well and with a lot of potential for exploring ideas outside the typical gameplay loops. Reminded of the original Metal Gear where supposedly the producer was confused by the idea of a game where you avoid enemies instead of fighting them.

Five Nights works well because it's basically built around literal nightmare logic, a horrific threat to life and limb that no one else seems to recognise and only the most flimsy and nonsensical means of protection between it and your horrific offscreen death. And it also works far too well as a metaphor for capitalism.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

And gameplay should always 100000% come before story in a video game, full stop.
Who let Ken Levine into the treehouse, guys?!?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Saying all video games need to be limited or focus on one specific thing is just an all around really loving dumb opinion.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Also, video games need more farting.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
The idea that interactivity invalidates a piece of art is about the dumbest poo poo I ever heard

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

Also, video games need more farting.

i would not be against WarioWare Switch

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What about Boogerman

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
It’s interesting that placing anything in a digitally interactive environment negates any being of art it once had. This somehow includes digital art as well.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

signalnoise posted:

The idea that interactivity invalidates a piece of art is about the dumbest poo poo I ever heard

Sounds like an idea someone who hasn't seen an art since the 19th century or so would hold, anyway. It's not like there isn't interactive art that isn't games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Leonardo friggin hated the model for Mona Lisa and it was intended as a dart board (100 points if you hit the moving eyes). It's a game, therefore not art.

Originally it had stink lines and the words "vapid c***" on the forehead but the restorers took liberties