Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
It also keeps them around for devotion purposes in addition to passive and triggered abilities, like some sort of card type that it turns them into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

TheMaestroso posted:

I'm pretty sure once it stops being a planeswalker, its abilities can't be used since you have to add or subtract loyalty and enchantments have no rules regarding loyalty counters.

You can still use loyalty abilities if the permanent stops being a planeswalker, see War of the Spark Sarkhan's +1

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Since they reprinted Gary it's only fair for them to reprint Fanatic of Mogis too, right? *quickly glances at Irencrag Feat and Deathbellow War Cry*

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The best to happen to MtG in 2019 was absolutely when The Prof and Pleasant Kenobi did a full Steamed Hams at the beginning of one of his videos and you should all watch it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMVZpPlCCE4&t=137s

it's just the first 3 minutes, but it makes me giggle like a baby

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

quote:

"Inspire Fear"
3G
Instant
Prevent all combat damage this turn that would be dealt this turn except combat damage that would be dealt by enchantment creatures and enchanted creatures. Scry 2.

:geno:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Seems good in Kestia EDH.

Well, maybe not "good", 4cmc is high.

Reik fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 31, 2019

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it has some applications if you're playing a game where you'll have a ton of enchantments and your opponent(s) won't but other than that it's a 4 mana fog

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

why, does that deck play Safe Passage

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

You can still use loyalty abilities if the permanent stops being a planeswalker, see War of the Spark Sarkhan's +1

Sarkhan's ability doesn't make them lose other card types, though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Inspire Fear should give all your creatures Fear; flavor fail.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

TheMaestroso posted:

Sarkhan's ability doesn't make them lose other card types, though.

It does, for a card to retain it's current type when it's affected by a type-changing effect the effect needs to say something like "it's still a planeswalker", like most Gideon cards.

Comprehensive rules posted:

205.1a Some effects set an object’s card type. In such cases, the new card type(s) replaces any existing card types. Counters, effects, and damage marked on the object remain with it, even if they are meaningless to the new card type. Similarly, when an effect sets one or more of an object’s subtypes, the new subtype(s) replaces any existing subtypes from the appropriate set (creature types, land types, artifact types, enchantment types, planeswalker types, or spell types). If an object’s card type is removed, the subtypes correlated with that card type will remain if they are also the subtypes of a card type the object currently has; otherwise, they are also removed for the entire time the object’s card type is removed. Removing an object’s subtype doesn’t affect its card types at all.

205.1b Some effects change an object’s card type, supertype, or subtype but specify that the object retains a prior card type, supertype, or subtype. In such cases, all the object’s prior card types, supertypes, and subtypes are retained. This rule applies to effects that use the phrase “in addition to its types” or that state that something is “still a [type, supertype, or subtype].” Some effects state that an object becomes an “artifact creature”; these effects also allow the object to retain all of its prior card types and subtypes. Some effects state that an object becomes a “[creature type or types] artifact creature”; these effects also allow the object to retain all of its prior card types and subtypes other than creature types, but replace any existing creature types.

As for loyalty abilities, any permanent with loyalty counters and loyalty abilities can use them, even if they don't have the loyalty characteristic, which only planeswalkers can have (weird, I know). Do note that creatures, unlike planeswalkers, do not die for having 0 loyalty and do not lose loyalty counters when they take damage, so you can't damage Sarkhan's dragons and cause them to lose loyalty, and they can still attack even after you use a - ability that reduces them to 0 loyalty, though they will die when the type changing effect runs out at EoT.

Snicker-Snack fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 31, 2019

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
https://twitter.com/day9tv/status/1212055819606462464

Obscil fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 31, 2019

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

And ball dropped.

:negative:

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
They really don’t know what to do with white as a color eh? Lifegain, +1/+1 counters, tokens, vigilance. Choose 2.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Puny God.

Self-Mill beater could be good. At a minimum I bet people will have some blowouts in limited if there's enough enablers.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Yeah it seems like wizards wants mono-white to be some kind of soul sisters deck. Hopefully that comes together as I do like soul sisters. Daxos and Queen Linden do work amazingly with Heliod. With how queen linden is worded, each creature you attack with triggers heliod a separate time. Ajani's pridemate is still in standard as well. So, hopefully it comes together and functions.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

So this is the Queen Linden payoff card? Dunno if that really makes the cut but it's a nice effect that will probably find a home somewhere.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Really cute that they thought Heliod would be good if they gave him old Thassa's statline.

Even the activated ability has the same overall mana cost.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Looks like it will be worth exploring lifegain again, since Pridemate, the Ajani that makes Pridemates and Aerialist are in the format.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mat Cauthon posted:

So this is the Queen Linden payoff card? Dunno if that really makes the cut but it's a nice effect that will probably find a home somewhere.

yeah, Fingers pointed out on Discord that Linden/Heliod/Pridemate seems like a potentially good start to a mono-white aggro deck

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

:laffo: they need to rethink white as a colour so badly

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Less Lifegain more Blink, WotC

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/mtnpasspodcast/status/1212061471615717377?s=21

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Elyv posted:

yeah, Fingers pointed out on Discord that Linden/Heliod/Pridemate seems like a potentially good start to a mono-white aggro deck

You need your 3 drop to not be conditional in an aggro deck I feel like. I feel like the devotion count is a little high to be honest.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

wizards shouldn't be condoning flip it or rip it like this

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Appreciate the reprint

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Even getting the worst 2 of your next 3 cards this is great

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Even getting the worst 2 of your next 3 cards this is great

Unless your opponent tricks you into taking the worst card face down by itself

LSV is going to love this effect

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

it reminds me of Fortune's Favor, which I remember as being a fine card. reads like a standard roleplayer to me, although probably not a 4 of

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Koirhor posted:

Appreciate the reprint

:same:

With this being such an enchantment focused set, I'd almost be willing to bet it might see some standard play. Also it may work well with multiple copies of Oath of Kaya, but still possibly not as efficiently as Danse.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I like how Atris, a rare, is more interesting than Heliod, a mythic.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Definitely making EDH Boat Tribal with this.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

InterrupterJones posted:

:same:

With this being such an enchantment focused set, I'd almost be willing to bet it might see some standard play. Also it may work well with multiple copies of Oath of Kaya, but still possibly not as efficiently as Danse.

Being able to reliably cast Ethereal Absolution every game is absolutely huge in this meta

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Heliod + Walking Ballista blows away all the other jank Walking Ballista combos in Pioneer.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
The original Heliod was by far the worst of the monocolor Theros gods and I think he might still be better than this new one. He’s legit 100% useless unless you have another creature on the board with him, and unlike the original Purophoros he doesn’t do anywhere near enough with other creatures out to be worth the downside.

In a set where the other monocolor gods are a creature medallion + potential card advantage activated ability, a sac outlet that also serves as a disincentive for board wipes, and an indestructible sneak attack, he’s just a loving joke.

I guess this combos with Walking Ballista at least?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Multiple instances of lifelink not stacking is bullshit.

I remember the good times we had, Genju of the Fields.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Looking forward to giving Orzhov and/or Esper control a shot

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Heliod + Ballista seems broken. A two card combo, where one of the pieces is indestructible and the other is colorless? A million good synergies to build around it? Goes off at instant speed? Seems hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

Being able to reliably cast Ethereal Absolution every game is absolutely huge in this meta

Or shove it into Jeskai Fires