Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Asking this in this thread because there are more eyes here than the Japanese food thread and it's a pretty basic question:

How long does dashi last in the fridge? I made a batch before heading out of state for the holidays and forgot to parcel it out into single servings in the fridge. Doesn't smell funny or anything but I've always read you it has a fridge life of a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

captkirk posted:

How long does dashi last in the fridge? I made a batch before heading out of state for the holidays and forgot to parcel it out into single servings in the fridge. Doesn't smell funny or anything but I've always read you it has a fridge life of a few days.
Assuming that you just used bonito flakes and kombu I wouldn't feel bad about using it after it had been in the fridge for a week or so, but I wouldn't trust any stock stock that hadn't been canned (or whatever) for longer than that.

I don't think I've ever made dashi any way other than à la minute though, just because it's so loving simple and I always have the raw materials on hand.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Has anyone ran into pickled pigs lips in the wild. I keep reading about them but have not found them. Yes I am probably 35% made of Vinegar.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

stinkypete posted:

Has anyone ran into pickled pigs lips in the wild. I keep reading about them but have not found them. Yes I am probably 35% made of Vinegar.

Seems like a gimmick thing that someone specific would do tbh.

Make head cheese or cabeza tacos, Why save 4 ounces of a 200# hog for that purpose?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I'm gonna make a roast beef dinner on new year's eve but I'm out of the country and so I asked my girlfriend to pick up some meat for me. We live in Luxembourg so all the cuts are in French - she bought an 800g 'roti gite a noix a braiser'. Trying to find translations of what the different cuts are is quite difficult but I think it's either topside or thick flank? So first I'm hoping are there any frenchies here that can help me identify this cut, and then what would be the best way of roasting it because I've never roasted a joint of beef before.

Obviously braiser means braise, which is clearly not roast, but all the descriptions of thick flank say it's a great cut for roasting. Alternatively if it would be poo poo roasted I guess I could make boeuf bourguignon.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm gonna make a roast beef dinner on new year's eve but I'm out of the country and so I asked my girlfriend to pick up some meat for me. We live in Luxembourg so all the cuts are in French - she bought an 800g 'roti gite a noix a braiser'. Trying to find translations of what the different cuts are is quite difficult but I think it's either topside or thick flank? So first I'm hoping are there any frenchies here that can help me identify this cut, and then what would be the best way of roasting it because I've never roasted a joint of beef before.

Obviously braiser means braise, which is clearly not roast, but all the descriptions of thick flank say it's a great cut for roasting. Alternatively if it would be poo poo roasted I guess I could make boeuf bourguignon.

Hmm, let me pop that into Google Translate...

Uuuuh hmm

This should actually help though

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

SubG posted:

Assuming that you just used bonito flakes and kombu I wouldn't feel bad about using it after it had been in the fridge for a week or so, but I wouldn't trust any stock stock that hadn't been canned (or whatever) for longer than that.

I don't think I've ever made dashi any way other than à la minute though, just because it's so loving simple and I always have the raw materials on hand.

Yeah, dashi doesn't take much effort (and if you want to do a long kombu soak it only requires the smallest amount of foresight) but I'm low on bonito and I didn't want to necessarily run to the Japanese market this weekend since I always end up buying more than I planned. I guess I'll be going shortly after grabbing lunch.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sitting for a couple days at least is fine, I've never noticed a change. I usually just make more than I need and freeze some. If you can get some 250 ml food service containers that's a good size to portion it in, enough for a single miso soup or whatever.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I think I found the company that makes these pigs lips and emailed them. I will report back on what I find. It does seem that it is a central Louisiana bar snack that is combined with potato chips. https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5590244

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
What to do with the fattier bits of leftover roast beef? It's the sort of fat that starts going melty at skin temperature but I'm not a fan of the texture when it's cold.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bollock Monkey posted:

What to do with the fattier bits of leftover roast beef? It's the sort of fat that starts going melty at skin temperature but I'm not a fan of the texture when it's cold.

Chop it up into some shredded potatoes and make some hash.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is there anything more creative and/or appetizing that I could do with a 1/2-carton of leftover eggnog than just living on nog & bourbons until it runs out?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

C-Euro posted:

Is there anything more creative and/or appetizing that I could do with a 1/2-carton of leftover eggnog than just living on nog & bourbons until it runs out?

Nothing more fun than shotgunning the remaining nog & bourbon

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can pour eggnog into an ice cream maker and then you have perfect eggnog ice cream

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

C-Euro posted:

Why gently caress with perfection?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

C-Euro posted:

French toast. Or use it in a batter to do a monte christo.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

effika posted:

Hmm, let me pop that into Google Translate...

Uuuuh hmm

This should actually help though

Thanks for this

For roasting it medium rare, what kinda internal temp should I be aiming for when I take it out the oven before resting? And would the best way to cook it be searing it on all sides first in the cast iron pan then putting that into the oven?

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 30, 2019

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bollock Monkey posted:

Chop and crisp and make fried rice

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

From a brief search, this looks like it comes up periodically but can someone give me the lowdown on garlic oil and botulism?

Is there no reliable way to make it acidic enough at home to be safe to store?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The Bananana posted:

Nothing more fun than shotgunning the remaining nog & bourbon

That Works posted:

Why gently caress with perfection?

I mean you're not wrong, just doing my due diligence I guess.

Going in a completely different direction, what's the best way to soften beans for eating that doesn't require an overnight soak?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Tried making beignets but the dough was sticky and hard to roll thin. Is that a sign of too much water?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

C-Euro posted:

Going in a completely different direction, what's the best way to soften beans for eating that doesn't require an overnight soak?
Boil them.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

C-Euro posted:

baking soda

you can do a quicker soak by covering them with boiling water and letting sit for an hour

also brining helps

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pressure cooker! There are charts for time based on bean type, but most assume an hour soak.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

C-Euro posted:

A one hour soak is usually plenty. Just put them in a heavy pot and fill with water to a couple of inches above the top of the beans, then cover the pot, bring it to a boil, and take it it off of the heat. Let it rest for an hour, then bring back to a boil, reduce the heat so that the beans simmer. Add any salt at this point, and simmer for an hour and a bit, until the beans are tender. Check from time to time and add water as needed to keep the beans covered. That's it. Total time is something like two and a half hours including the soak.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

TofuDiva posted:

A one hour soak is usually plenty. Just put them in a heavy pot and fill with water to a couple of inches above the top of the beans, then cover the pot, bring it to a boil, and take it it off of the heat. Let it rest for an hour, then bring back to a boil, reduce the heat so that the beans simmer. Add any salt at this point, and simmer for an hour and a bit, until the beans are tender. Check from time to time and add water as needed to keep the beans covered. That's it. Total time is something like two and a half hours including the soak.

Is this better somehow than cooking them for 2.5 hrs? If I don’t remember to soak beans I just cook them longer but maybe sometimes they stay a little crunchy? I’ve always assumed more time simmering with pork fat would automatically be better than steeping in hot water and then simmering with pork fat for less time.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is this better somehow than cooking them for 2.5 hrs? If I don’t remember to soak beans I just cook them longer but maybe sometimes they stay a little crunchy? I’ve always assumed more time simmering with pork fat would automatically be better than steeping in hot water and then simmering with pork fat for less time.

In my experience somehow the soak does help them end up more consistently tender and they absorb flavors really well. If you like the results you are getting with no soak and a longer simmer, though, then that's all that really matters.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

bawfuls posted:

From a brief search, this looks like it comes up periodically but can someone give me the lowdown on garlic oil and botulism?

Is there no reliable way to make it acidic enough at home to be safe to store?

since nobody answered, probably not. You can make confit in a preasure cooker ala modernist. I've had mixed success with it, honestly poor, and even then once they're cracked you gotta fridge and use fast.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Tell me about yogurt. My wife and I would like to do some yogurt making. We want fruit-blended, full-fat yogurt with no added sugar. Is that accomplishable? If so, how? And can we freeze it into frozen yogurt?

Also, my wife hates Greek-style yogurt to make things difficult.

We do have an Insta-Pot.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Funktor posted:

Tell me about yogurt. My wife and I would like to do some yogurt making.

It's fun and easy, and you should do it! You just need to buy some live yogurt, so you can use a little as a starter.

Funktor posted:

We want fruit-blended

No, no, no, this somewhat defeats the purpose of making fresh yogurt. You want to stir in the fruit/jam/what have you when you serve it!

Funktor posted:

Also, my wife hates Greek-style yogurt to make things difficult.

Good news! Th greeking is an extra, unnecessary step; greek yogurt is just regular yogurt, but with most of the whey squeezed out of it.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

No, no, no, this somewhat defeats the purpose of making fresh yogurt. You want to stir in the fruit/jam/what have you when you serve it!

In a vacuum, sure, but we are busy folk with careers and small kids and only enough time to do serious cooking like once a week. Yogurt is a staple food for us and very much needs to be a grab-on-the-go kind of thing once it's been made. This is more about being able to create the things we like without all the terrible additives you get in the store (read: loads of sugar) rather than an optimal flavor thing. Although flavor is certainly nice.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Funktor posted:

In a vacuum, sure, but we are busy folk with careers and small kids and only enough time to do serious cooking like once a week. Yogurt is a staple food for us and very much needs to be a grab-on-the-go kind of thing once it's been made. This is more about being able to create the things we like without all the terrible additives you get in the store (read: loads of sugar) rather than an optimal flavor thing. Although flavor is certainly nice.

You won't get good results if you try to put the fruit in before the yogurt is done. Your culture is going to have to compete with the bacteria in the fruit, and the fruit's inherent sugars mean that the whole batch runs the risk of spoilage while incubating.

Just make the yogurt, then add the fruit after incubation but before you stick the batch in the refrigerator. At most it will add 5-10 minutes to your prep, with a guaranteed payoff in taste and safety.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I feel like I should ask this in the stupid questions thread but it is food related and I think I'll get a better answer here:

Are there any savory meals, namely those with a protein like beef or lamb, that uses chocolate or mint as an ingredient and is actually good? I've been watching all sorts of Ramsay reality shows lately and several times people will come up with a dish that either has mint or chocolate as a sauce for it. Not only does Ramsay never like them, even before he tastes it he goes "you loving what", which makes me think that its just not possible to mix these flavors. And yet so many try. So I'm curious if anyone has actually had a satisfactory chocolate or mint sauce used with meats.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Mole?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There’s Mexican mole sauce which goes on a few different savory things

Edit: fffffffffffffff

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Funktor posted:

I meal prep my yogurt for the week. Mason jar (or what have you), add yogurt first, add fruit and fixings, screw on lid, stick in fridge for a week. Quality is fine for every fruit combo I've tried so far by the end of the week, but granola gets a little soft after day 2.

Come see us in the Pressure Cooker thread if you need help making the yogurt! We just talked about that, actually.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Leal posted:

I feel like I should ask this in the stupid questions thread but it is food related and I think I'll get a better answer here:

Are there any savory meals, namely those with a protein like beef or lamb, that uses chocolate or mint as an ingredient and is actually good? I've been watching all sorts of Ramsay reality shows lately and several times people will come up with a dish that either has mint or chocolate as a sauce for it. Not only does Ramsay never like them, even before he tastes it he goes "you loving what", which makes me think that its just not possible to mix these flavors. And yet so many try. So I'm curious if anyone has actually had a satisfactory chocolate or mint sauce used with meats.

Lamb with mint sauce is the most common way to serve it in the UK, Ramsay is just being OTT

Also chocolate in chili

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I've rubbed beef and pork with coffee/chocolate/chili rubs with great success

Funktor
May 17, 2009

effika posted:

I meal prep my yogurt for the week. Mason jar (or what have you), add yogurt first, add fruit and fixings, screw on lid, stick in fridge for a week. Quality is fine for every fruit combo I've tried so far by the end of the week, but granola gets a little soft after day 2.

Come see us in the Pressure Cooker thread if you need help making the yogurt! We just talked about that, actually.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I didn't mean put the fruit in during the making of the yogurt, I'm more interested in blending it in after. Can that be done with just like a standard Ninja or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Thai beef salad can have fresh mint leaves a a fairly prominent component.