Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

soy posted:

I’d bet they’d do more raids than bombing since collateral damage on a bordering nation would have some pretty bad optical qualities.

Better or worse than locking kids in cages and letting some of them die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Previous protests in Iraq were largely over corruption, lack of civil services, and protesting against too much Iranian influence in Iraqi government/forces.

Iran blamed some of the protest on general Iraqi government incompetence and some on anti-Iran US -led agitation or info ops.

Other reporting:
Now a US contractor was killed in a volley of katyusha rocket attacks (rocket attacks have been getting more common in Iraq lately), and the US responded by bombing targets, including militias inside of Iraqi territory. Iraq’s PM was notified very shortly (minutes) before the strike and objected to the strikes, but the US carried them out anyway.

Bonus: The Iraqi PM is the ultimate lame duck because he already offered to resign over the first round of protests, but there’s no identified replacement yet afaik.

Regardless, Iraq has a real vested interest in not becoming the battlefield between US and Iranian forces, so they have a very rough and complicated hand to play.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Iran is by proxy attacking a US embassy? Everyone is getting into 80s nostalgia these days.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Ehhhhhh i doubt Iran called up KH and told them to storm the embassy, lotta ways for that to go wrong. KH has been doing their own thing for a while, they've been stealing, kidnapping, doing mafia type poo poo with little to no repercussions for a while. They really don't like the Tahir Square protesters.

There's a bunch of English language Iraqi twitter accounts I follow which have way better explanations of what's going on.

Edit: it's important to note that the previous Iraq protests and the current group storming the embassy hate each other.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
This is an amusing story to end the year with:

Released files show how Canadian Military dealt with Pokemon Go in 2016

Some choice bits:

quote:

Most of the emails expressed curiosity and confusion about the new game.

"Plse advise the Commissionaires that apparently Fort Frontenac is both a PokeGym and a PokeStop. I will be completely honest in that I have not idea what that is," wrote Maj. Jeff Monaghan at CFB Kingston.

"The game's premise seems to be going to the 'PokeStops/Gyms' to collect 'Pokemon's' (we should almost hire a 12-year-old to help us out with this) of which we were able to find 5 of these things on the range road itself," wrote security expert David Levenick at CFB Borden, Ont., 100 kilometers northwest of Toronto.

"There's a game out there taking off like gangbusters, and it requires people to move to digitally cached locations to get points, etc.," wrote Lieut. Col. Richard Raymond at CFB Petawawa, west of Ottawa.

also phrasing, my dude

quote:

When a man was stopped on CFB Borden, documents show he was playing Pokemon Go and told officers "I have to beat my kids [get more points]."

Really the main gist of it after the initial confusion was fairly positive

quote:

At CFB Petawawa, one location where Pokemon Go players retrieved virtual items was at the Garrison Museum.

"Maybe some extra people will visit the museum!" wrote Maj. Alicia Saucier.

quote:

Rear Admiral Newton addressed the Pokemon generally in an email, writing: "Life and work are best accomplished if there is good fun, health and friendship.

"If Pokemon Go enables these values, while we protect our interests, then we all stand to marvel at this intersection of technology, gaming and health."

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That is a sickeningly wholesome perspective

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

Well its either that or sex cannibals with the CF

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Did someone say SP-MAGTF-CR-CC?

https://twitter.com/centcom/status/1212084008655446017?s=21

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Is this going to be a Fall of Saigon airlift situation?

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Kesper North posted:

Is this going to be a Fall of Saigon airlift situation?

If we're lucky, then yes and we can declare the whole thing a loss and move on. That's how it works with these wars, right?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I would be ok with the US saying gently caress it and getting out but we all know that’s not going to happen.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

aphid_licker posted:

It's par for the course for RAdm Newton. He's a pretty decent man.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

TK-42-1 posted:

I would be ok with the US saying gently caress it and getting out but we all know that’s not going to happen.

Already happened once when Obama withdrew pretty much everything.

The Iraqi government cut out Sunni representation shortly after, poo poo all over them for years, and ended up with simmering rebellion and ISIS, leading to the current (invited) US presence.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 1, 2020

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Vietnam 2: The Sands of Time

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Someone roll that MV-22 footage:

https://twitter.com/scavino45/status/1212243829052624896?s=21

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The black smudges under the rotors: is that soot from the engines or was this infrared video and that's hot pavement?

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Kesper North posted:

The black smudges under the rotors: is that soot from the engines or was this infrared video and that's hot pavement?

Infrared video in black-hot mode (usually used at night). The jet blast from V22s is probably like ~400C at idle

Edit: odds are that video comes from a PTDS surveillance balloon with a wescam MX-20 EO/IR ball

LibCrusher fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 2, 2020

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Kesper North posted:

Hydraulic oil.

(answer above mine is the boring correct version).

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Not like they care at this point, but what is that doing to the roof of the embassy?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Not like they care at this point, but what is that doing to the roof of the embassy?

That's not the roof.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Isn’t the green zone ridiculously huge

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

TK-42-1 posted:

Isn’t the green zone ridiculously huge

The green zone is huge, but the embassy compound itself is 140 acres or so, which is large enough for a few Ospreys.

The protestersmilitia are inside the green zone but outside the embassy. For now.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
If they get inside the embassy, we'll be embareassed.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I'd be willing to bet that the embassy staff still on the ground have been shredding or burning the poo poo out of documents and computer systems just to be on the safe side.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Fearless posted:

I'd be willing to bet that the embassy staff still on the ground have been shredding or burning the poo poo out of documents and computer systems just to be on the safe side.

Made me think of that Scene in Argo where Sgt Gord goes HAM on the comms gear in his combats (with combat cap!)

Similar to

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

priznat posted:

Made me think of that Scene in Argo where Sgt Gord goes HAM on the comms gear in his combats (with combat cap!)

Similar to

I hated wearing those damned caps.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Fearless posted:

I hated wearing those damned caps.

They look pretty goddamn useless for sun, rain, whatever.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

priznat posted:

They kept the sun out of your eyes a bit, and protected the tops of your ears too, but they weren't much good overall for rain. I seem to recall there were flaps inside that folded out to cover your ears more fully, but I could be thinking of a different stupid cap.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

priznat posted:

Those are great for keeping the sun off your ears.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The fact that they sent in those Ospreys means that they were reasonably confident that noone was gonna light them up with a Dushka or something? Flying in there with something like that seems pretty risky. Or is the situation not quite that bad yet?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

aphid_licker posted:

The fact that they sent in those Ospreys means that they were reasonably confident that noone was gonna light them up with a Dushka or something? Flying in there with something like that seems pretty risky. Or is the situation not quite that bad yet?

I think they were more concerned about Benghazi 2.0 than anything else, and that the loss of another US embassy would be far worse than the loss of an Osprey and some Marines.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This is coming from the NYT, but the author backs up his assertion with news reports. It's very :capitalism:

quote:

Pig speculators (“chao zhu tuan”) — yes, there is a specific term for them — traveled to various households and villages to collect these pigs and ship them to other localities, enabling the disease to cross administrative borders and disseminate. In northern and central China, some speculators even deliberately tried to spread the disease by using drones to drop contaminated pork products into farms. After causing an outbreak, or at least sparking fears about one, speculators could buy pigs for cheap — then stockpile the animals for a time to create shortages locally and sell them only after the prices had gone back up.

e: sources

Chinese language
English

e2: and the farms are fighting back by disrupting GPS

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 2, 2020

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

This is coming from the NYT, but the author backs up his assertion with news reports. It's very :capitalism:

e: sources

Chinese language
English

e2: and the farms are fighting back by disrupting GPS

Does the rule of law exist even as an idea in China?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

A.o.D. posted:

Explicitly.
(But the name and the practice don't rectify)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

A.o.D. posted:

Yes, but you can quite literally buy your way out of punishment: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ding_zui

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

A.o.D. posted:

Meh, the people doing the gaming are gangster but likely very well connected gangsters, so.......I don't feel smug

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yes, but you can quite literally buy your way out of punishment: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ding_zui

America would never stoop so low

The Chinese give a ton of lip service to the idea of a rule of law.... particularly the fact that they claim to have invented it. that being said, their laws have to coexist with a whole lot of other concepts like family honor and corruption culture and the Chinese equivalent of wasta, so the application of said laws is at best wildly inconsistent and often completely hypocritical.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

aphid_licker posted:

In the Army risk is associated with level of command, I'm assuming the Marines work the same way. So someone had to assess the risk and the appropriate level of officer signed off on it.

That said, in Iraq I literally had my Company Commander tell me to re-work the risk assessment values so that fewer of our missions came out to medium risk missions requiring the BN CDR's signature.

10 years later in Afghanistan and every mission we did was assessed as "high" risk and required an O6's approval, even though it was the same mission set and basically the same amount of expected opposition.

The assessment process is supposed to identify risks and come up with ways to lessen those risks. In reality it's a bunch of CYA eyewash. And don't get me started on the Army's new digital aviation risk assessment.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

SimonCat posted:

In the Army risk is associated with level of command, I'm assuming the Marines work the same way. So someone had to assess the risk and the appropriate level of officer signed off on it.

That said, in Iraq I literally had my Company Commander tell me to re-work the risk assessment values so that fewer of our missions came out to medium risk missions requiring the BN CDR's signature.

10 years later in Afghanistan and every mission we did was assessed as "high" risk and required an O6's approval, even though it was the same mission set and basically the same amount of expected opposition.

The assessment process is supposed to identify risks and come up with ways to lessen those risks. In reality it's a bunch of CYA eyewash. And don't get me started on the Army's new digital aviation risk assessment.

Having never heard of this until now, can I say that sounds awkward and non-trivially pointless

Like, doesn't the command structure do this anyway? A fire team can be risked by a lance corporal (or whatev), but whatever constitutes a full armored formation can be risked by a Colonel - if it is not already being risked by a decision above them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bewbies posted:

America would never stoop so low
My dude.