Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Felix is indeed great. He has especially great dialogue on Crimson Flower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Shamir is the best character in supports, please don't @ me

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Not even the best character by the voice actor

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Tae posted:

Not even the best character by the voice actor

that's Dorothea in general

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

You know what might have made a little more sence for AM's Grondor battle? Lorenz

Have him be the reason the Alliance forces attack you, because he's trying to show Edelgard that they're on the same side and draws the whole army into the 3 way clusterfuck because the Alliance is politically split between pro and anti Imperials leaving Claude to try and salvage the situation by beating back both armies in a desperate gamble before retreating.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

You know what might have made a little more sence for AM's Grondor battle? Lorenz

Have him be the reason the Alliance forces attack you, because he's trying to show Edelgard that they're on the same side and draws the whole army into the 3 way clusterfuck because the Alliance is politically split between pro and anti Imperials leaving Claude to try and salvage the situation by beating back both armies in a desperate gamble before retreating.

Or lean into Claude being a calculating schemer, seeing a perfect opportunity to eliminate both threats to the Alliance in one blow.

Carlosologist posted:

Shamir is the best character in supports, please don't @ me

I like her just fine, I poached her primarily for shipping purposes and I don't need a third archer, but she's fine.

Sydin posted:

Poach Felix in your subsequent runs even if you're not planning on fielding him. Like Dorothea, he has some really good dialogue around the monastery on non-BL runs, as well as three distinct character arcs he goes through based on what route he ultimately joins you for.

Dorothea hasn't actually impressed me as a character, to be honest. The Blue Lions already cover the 'weary of war and its costs' thing pretty well, I think, and the only point Dorothea's scored in my book is that she's the only one of the students I poached to have had any reaction to me killing her former classmates. Marianne and Bernie sure didn't seem to care. Dorothea's fine, and her spell list means she displaced Annette from my roster (Dorothea and Mercedes have been my gremory gals), but she's not one of my favorites so far.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

are you doing her supports? She has really good ones with Felix and Sylvain

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Hell, that development would even be foreshadowed by both the initial mock battle and the Part 1 Eagle and Lion, where if you're not playing GD Lorenz fucks up Claude's wait and see strategy by charging into the fray.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

are you doing her supports? She has really good ones with Felix and Sylvain

She's only gotten to C with both. I'm pairing her with Manuela, though, and their A support was pretty nice.

I don't think I like Manuela in general, though. She feels like a victim of very sexist writers at the helm.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Manuela is good and would be drunk in every single support in a worse written game

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Manuela is also the best non-incestuous romance option for Blyleth.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
manuela should have special dialogue with cornelia about their fashion choices

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

slightly nsfw but happy new year:

https://i.redd.it/8y3n70nzh0841.png

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edelgard and her minions have battlemechs. Did not see that one coming.

Edit: Also, have to mention that I love the post-timeskip music in the monastery.

Just hit the A support with Dedue and Shamir. They are adorable.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 31, 2019

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Sydin posted:

Hell, that development would even be foreshadowed by both the initial mock battle and the Part 1 Eagle and Lion, where if you're not playing GD Lorenz fucks up Claude's wait and see strategy by charging into the fray.

Son of a bitch, forgot about that detail. Yeah, that would have worked great! Well... maybe not great, but it would have been something.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Perfect.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Cythereal posted:

Edelgard and her minions have battlemechs. Did not see that one coming.

Edit: Also, have to mention that I love the post-timeskip music in the monastery.

Just hit the A support with Dedue and Shamir. They are adorable.

Dedue/Shamir is a powerful pairing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Shamir is up there for largest number of "surprisingly good pairings."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My God. How many goddamn times does Beleth have to one-shot Hubert with a crit to the face before the jerk finally bites it? I think this is the fourth, maybe even fifth loving time.

To his credit, he brought Beleth into the single digits for the first time since chapter 2 I think with Meteor. Then Beleth got into melee with him and that was the end of Dimitri's paralogue.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 1, 2020

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
3H has many precious boys but Hubert is probably the bestest. He's so devoted and earnest :3: Ain't no death gonna keep him down

edit: also by far the best husband for poor Bernie

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HenryEx posted:

3H has many precious boys but Hubert is probably the bestest. He's so devoted and earnest :3: Ain't no death gonna keep him down

Every time I've faced him on a map, Beleth happened. She sprints across the map almost as fast as Bernie and Marianne ride their horses, and if she can't reach you in melee that's why she has a silver bow and curved shot. At this point she's pretty much a cruise missile I fire and forget at anything that offends me.

Hanneman wasted his time Bolting Flayn and let Felix get into melee.

So far of NPCs from the school phase, I think I've killed:

Hanneman - blended by Felix
Lorenz - stabbed by Beleth
Ferdinand - beheaded by Dedue
Raphael - meteored by Dorothea
Ignatz - gutted by Ingrid
Leonie - shot by Ashe
Lysithea - bisected by Dedue

quote:

I'm pairing her with Seteth. It's hilarious, adorable, and manages to make Bernie the active pursuer in the relationship in a... very Bernie way.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 1, 2020

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

more datamining about the 4 DLC characters:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/eiao9b/wave_4_dlc_units_support_list_datamine/

Support list spoilers if you care about that:

So it looks like each of the 4 new units will have supports with Byleth, supports each other DLC person, and then supports with some of the existing students. All supports are A. Notably, 3/4 units seem associated with a particular house.

Balthus supporting Claude/Hilda/Lysithea, S with female Byleth

Constance supporting Edelgard/Ferdie/Mercedes/Jeritza! S with male Byleth

Hapi supporting Dimitri/Ashe and Lindhart for some reason? S with male Byleth

Yuri supporting Bernie/Dorothea/Ingrid so also kinda BE? S with both Byleths.

It's good that there are more gay options.

There is nothing to indicate any supports with Anna.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I... what? Yuri's not the BE character? But he's Nuvelle... Like, even if he's part of the church instead he should have more a focus on them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I wonder if there's any hope of Jeritza getting some more supports with the actors back in studio. Probably too much to hope for, but while Anna is screwed over with no supports, she's a recurring gag character while Jeritza plays a role in the narrative and I want to see his relationship with Edelgard and Hubert to say nothing of how much I want a Manuella support for him.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Ferdinand and Dorothea's support is very good as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Eimi posted:

I wonder if there's any hope of Jeritza getting some more supports with the actors back in studio. Probably too much to hope for, but while Anna is screwed over with no supports, she's a recurring gag character while Jeritza plays a role in the narrative and I want to see his relationship with Edelgard and Hubert to say nothing of how much I want a Manuella support for him.

Jeritza's probably the easiest for NA considering he's the voice director, iirc

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just finished The Golden Deer's Plea, on to The Impregnable Fortress. :munch:

Nothing about this story has been very original or creative, but it's a good story being told well with a good cast of characters.

Edit: Impregnable Fortress done.

I think it's interesting how in Azure Moon, one of the most recurring plot beats is that no one has any idea why Edelgard has attacked everyone - the Church and the Kingdom didn't even ally until five years after Edelgard declared war on the Church, Kingdom, and Alliance simultaneously. Dimitri's let go of his hate and anger, he just wants to know why Edelgard's doing this. What does she want besides war and destruction? She talks vaguely about a better future, but what kind of future does she want? Dimitri wants to make peace with Edelgard and the Empire, and he's offered a few times now.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 1, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Finally got to the good part of my CF playthrough, goddamn White Clouds is such a slog.

Anyway, forgot how proud Edelgard is of the name "Black Eagle Strike Force". She's such a dork. :3:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Sydin posted:

Finally got to the good part of my CF playthrough, goddamn White Clouds is such a slog.

Anyway, forgot how proud Edelgard is of the name "Black Eagle Strike Force". She's such a dork. :3:

But she spent all night thinking of the name!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Hellioning posted:

Felix is indeed great. He has especially great dialogue on Crimson Flower.
I feel kinda bad for him because mmm being forced to kill his friends does not help his psyche at all, but on the other hand, I want to make him kill his father

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the abyss mode is just finding everyone's dads (not jeralt) and throwing them into an abyss

(not seteth either)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Berbert

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Treebert is excellent and I choose to believe that Bernie was the one responsible for it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

:hmmyes:

Cattail Prophet posted:

Treebert is excellent and I choose to believe that Bernie was the one responsible for it.

:hmmyes:

Blaziken386 posted:

I feel kinda bad for him because mmm being forced to kill his friends does not help his psyche at all, but on the other hand, I want to make him kill his father

That's why you recruit everyone you can. Then it's just him vs the boar. Though I dunno if Roderigue deserves his death. He's got some hosed up views but he's not a creepy deadbeat like Gilbert.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Going from one runs Hilda who literally never missed a speed level or hit a defence level to one who has both 12 speed and defence as a level 24 wyvern rider sure is a thing

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Eimi posted:

That's why you recruit everyone you can. Then it's just him vs the boar. Though I dunno if Roderigue deserves his death. He's got some hosed up views but he's not a creepy deadbeat like Gilbert.

Making Felix kill his old friends is more interesting than having them all sit on the sidelines.

:shrug: He can get therapy after the war or something, it’s fine

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

Though I dunno if Roderigue deserves his death. He's got some hosed up views but he's not a creepy deadbeat like Gilbert.

Roderigue is downright competent and generally likeable in Azure Moon, and admits that he deeply regrets what he's said to Felix and how their relationship has turned out.

I am disappointed I haven't yet gotten the chance to whack Bernie's dad, and there's only two missions left. Caspar, Linhardt, and the Death Knight are all dead, so Edelgard is running out of bodies to hide behind.

Edit: Heading into the second to last battle. Edelgard's motives and vision are social darwinism. How lovely.

Edit: Hmmm, this mission's giving me a lot of trouble. Since when can siege weapons do triple digits of damage?!

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 1, 2020

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Roderigue is downright competent and generally likeable in Azure Moon, and admits that he deeply regrets what he's said to Felix and how their relationship has turned out.

I am disappointed I haven't yet gotten the chance to whack Bernie's dad, and there's only two missions left. Caspar, Linhardt, and the Death Knight are all dead, so Edelgard is running out of bodies to hide behind.

Edit: Heading into the second to last battle. Edelgard's motives and vision are social darwinism. How lovely.

Edit: Hmmm, this mission's giving me a lot of trouble. Since when can siege weapons do triple digits of damage?!

The whole conversation is badly mangled enough that no one can be blamed for coming to that conclusion but that is not Edelgard's motivation at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

McTimmy posted:

The whole conversation is badly mangled enough that no one can be blamed for coming to that conclusion but that is not Edelgard's motivation at all.

It's certainly what Dimitri concludes and what it sounded like to me: Edelgard's more or less arguing for libertarianism.

Having much better results with the second to last Azure Moon mission by playing cautiously and keeping everyone together on the left side of the map. Flayn is earning her weight in gold for soaking up magic artillery.