Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

No, no they don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pocket Full of Rainbows and then AO completely tanked my interest in new Eureka 7 projects, but even still, I see those characters and I'm like man, maybe i should give one a look...

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Who knows, maybe this time they'll finally recapture the essence of what made the original show so engagffffffffhahahaha its gonna gently caress completely up, probably in a new and depressing way.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Who knows, maybe this time they'll finally recapture the essence of what made the original show so engagffffffffhahahaha its gonna gently caress completely up, probably in a new and depressing way.

That's where the interest comes in. All the Hi-Evolution movies have been, if nothing else, distinctly bad, trying to do new things rather than just retelling the show but worse like the first film.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

a kitten posted:

Pocket Full of Rainbows and then AO completely tanked my interest in new Eureka 7 projects, but even still, I see those characters and I'm like man, maybe i should give one a look...

While I mostly agree. I did moderately enjoy the ending to AO. I would have preferred more original ES but it was atleast something

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

There was that one episode where Renton first showed up that looked like things might become good, but then it became the opposite of good.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I have no idea who's even paying dollars to consume all the Eureka Seven media they keep putting out, considering every single production since the series has been progressively more awful and terrible.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Yeah the original anime was the only good E7 thing. Even the official manga basically ended on a depressing stupid note.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The official anime wasn't even all that great. They dicked around doing sod-all for forty episodes (with the exception of the Beams arc, which was genuinely solid), and then squeezed all the plot into the last ten. I do also wonder how much they were trying to make the little kids repulsive (their character designs and voice acting seemed designed to be as offputting as possible), and why they then put them at the heart of so many emotional moments.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The plot was the coming of age story of Renton. The coralian stuff is just set dressing that helps to move that along every now and then.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ethiser posted:

The plot was the coming of age story of Renton. The coralian stuff is just set dressing that helps to move that along every now and then.

I feel like that's a story they could have told in half the episodes, though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Friend, you're in the New General Mecha thread. The vast majority of what we talk about in here can and probably should have been made in half the episodes they had except for like some OVA's.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Friend, you're in the New General Mecha thread. The vast majority of what we talk about in here can and probably should have been made in half the episodes they had except for like some OVA's.

I feel like E7 is poorly-paced even by mecha standards, though. Gundam shows tend to have a lot more going on on an episode-to-episode basis, and Votoms is basically four one-cour shows done back to back.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I liked that one scene where Renton was chasing some deer and Holland chased after him yelling "Renton!"

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kanos posted:

I have no idea who's even paying dollars to consume all the Eureka Seven media they keep putting out, considering every single production since the series has been progressively more awful and terrible.

This doubly so because after Pocketful of Rainbows and AO it felt to me like the production people behind it nakedly loathed both the franchise and anyone who is a fan of it. And it has, to an extent, worked seeing as I have found in all my time online exactly one single person who actually liked AO all the way through.

If you told me somebody was trying to pull a Producers on this franchise I'd be totally willing to buy it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I feel like E7 is poorly-paced even by mecha standards, though. Gundam shows tend to have a lot more going on on an episode-to-episode basis, and Votoms is basically four one-cour shows done back to back.

Honestly, it feels like people claiming all mech shows are poorly paced mostly happens when something like E7 or Macross 7's pacing is criticized. Like, even if I granted the point that Gundam shows don't have great pacing, your show can be (and is) even worse.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I have been told that the original plan for Eureka Seven itself was to end the show in a much more depressing light, showing Duey as being correct or something and that the writers were forced to make it a happy ending somewhat late in production. I've never bothered to try and source that information or anything, because it's not something that I'm particularly interested in finding out, but if it is true, then it at least makes more sense of the various movies and manga that have attempted to follow it, since it would presumably be the writers attempting to follow something closer to their original intention even if it's less popular.

Darth Walrus posted:

It probably could have. I'm glad it wasn't though. It's apparently an unpopular opinion, but I like when shows eschew plot to pursue world-building, character exploration etc. at times, and all 50 episodes of a show isn't just a relay race sprinting from one plot point to the next. One of the reasons that Turn A is my favorite Gundam entry is because it takes a lot of time to just explore it's setting and cast, establishing them before any real war starts so that it feels more urgent and awful when the prospect of a proper conflict that endangers it all is introduced. Some shows that try to do that don't do it so well (Macross 7 is an example that springs to mind, even if I enjoy it anyway), but I still like that they did it a lot of the time even when it doesn't work out that well.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 26, 2019

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Probably the only meander in E7 I don't like all that much is when they divert near the end to play soccer. But, that also culminates in Renton and Eureka using Holland's face as a stepping stone so who can say if it's good or bad

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

I have been told that the original plan for Eureka Seven itself was to end the show in a much more depressing light, showing Duey as being correct or something and that the writers were forced to make it a happy ending somewhat late in production. I've never bothered to try and source that information or anything, because it's not something that I'm particularly interested in finding out, but if it is true, then it at least makes more sense of the various movies and manga that have attempted to follow it, since it would presumably be the writers attempting to follow something closer to their original intention even if it's less popular.

It probably could have. I'm glad it wasn't though. It's apparently an unpopular opinion, but I like when shows eschew plot to pursue world-building, character exploration etc. at times, and all 50 episodes of a show isn't just a relay race sprinting from one plot point to the next. One of the reasons that Turn A is my favorite Gundam entry is because it takes a lot of time to just explore it's setting and cast, establishing them before any real war starts so that it feels more urgent and awful when the prospect of a proper conflict that endangers it all is introduced. Some shows that try to do that don't do it so well (Macross 7 is an example that springs to mind, even if I enjoy it anyway), but I still like that they did it a lot of the time even when it doesn't work out that well.

Turn A, again, has a lot more going on. There's more focus on and development of the secondary cast, there's lots of political manoeuvring and intrigue, and there's a whole adventure storyline that takes the cast to all sorts of wild and wonderful locations where we watch the characters deal with being dropped into whole other genres, from gothic romance to Indiana Jones pulp. I mean, that's technically true in E7, but mostly they're just drifting in the Gekko over an endless coral plain having repetitive drama.

And yeah, the soccer episode is good. They need more stuff like that, and like the Beams arc on the other end of the emotional spectrum. Mix it up a little, draw out more facets of the cast, the world, and the story through putting them through varied scenarios and setpieces. Put that huge episode-count to use rather than staying in neutral.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 26, 2019

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It’s just crazy to me that people working on E7 could look at the story they they told and think, “This shouldn’t have a happy ending.” Just the soundtrack alone is something that only really works in a show that ends on a positive note.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Darth Walrus posted:

Turn A, again, has a lot more going on. There's more focus on and development of the secondary cast, there's lots of political manoeuvring and intrigue, and there's a whole adventure storyline that takes the cast to all sorts of wild and wonderful locations where we watch the characters deal with being dropped into whole other genres, from gothic romance to Indiana Jones pulp. I mean, that's technically true in E7, but mostly they're just drifting in the Gekko over an endless coral plain having repetitive drama.

And yeah, the soccer episode is good. They need more stuff like that, and like the Beams arc on the other end of the emotional spectrum. Mix it up a little, draw out more facets of the cast, the world, and the story through putting them through varied scenarios and setpieces. Put that huge episode-count to use rather than staying in neutral.

Yeah, there's a difference between a show taking the time to develop characters and world build and a show just spinning its wheels. Pacing isn't "amount of action" in a work.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I remembered playing these as a kid and they’re still on my shelf at mom and dad’s house. They’re two hex grid tactical games from Takara based on Dougram; there was a third from VOTOMS that the local hobby shop never got. These have typewritten English instructions included along with the original Japanese manuals. These are kind of obscure in the US, there weren’t many imported before the distributor got a C&D and stopped.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Midjack posted:

I remembered playing these as a kid and they’re still on my shelf at mom and dad’s house. They’re two hex grid tactical games from Takara based on Dougram; there was a third from VOTOMS that the local hobby shop never got. These have typewritten English instructions included along with the original Japanese manuals. These are kind of obscure in the US, there weren’t many imported before the distributor got a C&D and stopped.

What a badass find

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i need to finish spt layzner and votoms because they are both good but i have adhd and im not always in the mood to watch anime :)

then i can watch dougram and maybe panzer world galient

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, I'm finally watching more of Obsolete, and I got to say... that show starts on a pretty terrible foot, doesn't it?

Fifteen minutes of soldiers in a mech fight with stakes we don't care about, in a setting we don't understand, with the purpose vaguely waved at. Add in the limited framerate, and it's pretty hard to sell people on just watching the next episode, let alone paying for the privilege.

And that's actually a shame, because from the second episode on, it's pretty alright. The premise basically uses mechs as a method of democratizing warfare, with a new cast showing a new variation on the theme every episode. There's even some cool integration of the format, like an episode ending with the youtube recommended videos popup.

It's not a must see, and things like treating "Africa" as one big country don't do it any favors, but it's much better than I expected from the opener. If it was on a service people actually had, I'd say it was worth checking out.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I finished Panzer World Galient. It's pretty good!

The first half is very strong, especially because it's mainly Hilmocha driving the action. She's the best character by far, so when the story is determined by her kidnapping someone apparently for no reason just so she can get other people to go where she wants them, it owns. That's also the part of the show that has the knights with jet packs having laser axe battles around floating dragon skeletons, the high point of the show.

The second half is still good, but unfortunately it's where our protagonist, Joldy Vorder, largely takes over. And he's the least interesting character. Not much to him. And it kinda drags down the bad guy too, because they had to have their fight be personal, and it doesn't make a lot of sense. There's no reason for Mardoul to have turned the queen into a crystal instead of just killing her. Mardoul didn't care about Arst at all, it was just a place for him to raise an army so he could attack the planet he did care about. And when he does the "Join me, Jordy, and we shall rule the galaxy!" spiel it fell really flat to me. Once again, Mardoul gave no poo poo about Arst. He should've just killed Joldy at any of the opportunities he had to do so.

Panzer World Galient has a lot of stuff in it that's clearly just from the creator having seen Star Wars, but that part was so blatant and out of step with the rest.

But none of that is a huge problem. While Jordy might be a dud, the knights who rally to his side are neat, the robots are still cool, and even when Hilmocha isn't driving the plot she's still around and doing stuff and having her own story.

Panzer World Galient is pretty good. If someone was interested I'd tell them to go for it, but it's not something I'd give just a general recommendation for.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm a little pleased you highlighted some of the same stuff I saw as a problem in Galient a page back in my massive pile of spoilers. And I ultimately agree, Galient is pretty good but not good enough to recommend without reservations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Omnicrom posted:

I'm a little pleased you highlighted some of the same stuff I saw as a problem in Galient a page back in my massive pile of spoilers. And I ultimately agree, Galient is pretty good but not good enough to recommend without reservations.

Reading your post, yeah you kinda nailed it. It would've been so easy to have Jordy be like, the little guy sticking up for individual people who messes up Mardoul's big picture scheme. That could've been a strong central concept and theme. And then have Hilmocha and High Schultat as the ones in the middle who see both sides but still pick one and fight for it. That would've been great.

But instead it's just Jordy fighting for his crystal mom while Mardoul monologues.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well drat :smith:

https://twitter.com/Personfaces/status/1211742273563742209?s=19

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Son of a bitch. He was so, so good.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

He was amazing.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
here's a nice long interview with syd mead I found that touches on a lot of his career

quote:

And then we went down to Izu, about 10 of us, on a celebration trip at a mountain inn. We had a kaiseki dinner, tables from here to that glass window, about 6-7 meters long. We had course after course after course and a big bottle of sake. It was a fantastic time. Then all the guys had a soaking hot water bath and went to bed. I woke up the next morning and I’m still thinking about the final details of this Turn X… I throw open the windows in my room and the whole mountainside was pink — it was sakura time. So I took a piece of paper and sketched all the final details of the Turn X. The finished details were really done under the inspiration of this pink mountainside of cherry blossoms.

rest in peace nerd

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah that's a great interview, glad to see a transcript for it. It's definitely worth watching too, for those that have the NA discs from '15.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Genuinely sad to hear about this; dude is a legend.

His Turn-A and Turn-X designs are just phenomenal.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

He was 86, and that's a pretty good run, with a remarkable legacy. Still. Always sad to see one of the greats go. And he was pretty great.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

One episode into Exkaiser and I'm beginning to suspect that my scheme to eventually watch the entire Brave franchise in order is not going to work out. I know that most mecha shows, including plenty of mecha shows I really love, were made for children. But Exkaiser is clearly aiming for a very young audience. The whole setup and character dynamics were very simple. When it got to the end and the voiceover was like, "Is your family's car an Exkasier too?!" I just got very strong vibes that is clearly not a show for me.

I'll give it a couple more episodes to see if it gets more interesting, but maybe I should just skip ahead to Betterman

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Exkaiser's the only one that really does that, and if you skipped to betterman you'd miss out on both j-decker and goldran, which are both quite good.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
anyone else been watching Obsolete on youtube? i'm on the last episode (probably going to get the trial version of yt premium to watch it then cancel) and it's very good for what it is. it's cgi animation but if you can get over that i feel like it's really worth it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darkman Fanpage posted:

anyone else been watching Obsolete on youtube? i'm on the last episode (probably going to get the trial version of yt premium to watch it then cancel) and it's very good for what it is. it's cgi animation but if you can get over that i feel like it's really worth it.

Yeah, I talked about it a little earlier. It's good overall, I think, but the opener (the free one) does a terrible job of selling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
all of them are free now save the last one. i'd really like a second but since it's youtube who knows. also i just found out good smile company has plamo kits coming out in april. $20 so ill probably get both.