Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Anyone else use skill point mods? I like using 2 per level, 4 is excessive but 1 just feels like it takes too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dandywalken posted:

Anyone else use skill point mods? I like using 2 per level, 4 is excessive but 1 just feels like it takes too long.

I use a mod that gives you 2 for the first 10 levels of lords and 5 levels of heroes.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
It seems like LuckySpade made all the army skill bonuses much more homogenous compared to before. I've noticed most of the skills are a choice between say +10MA/+10% damage/Major fatigue resist or +10MD/+10 phys resist /Immune to Psychology. While I get that there are a TON of different units in the game and that having skills to customize their buffs at rank 1/4/7 takes forever, I really miss it. It really brought new life into units that easily got obsolete normally, or weren't cost effective to justify their use.

Chaff type units for example would typically just get replenishment and upkeep discounts so mid to late game they were virtually free to have in a rear echelon army dealing with rebellions. High end units like big monsters often used to get embedded skills to augment their already impressive stats. And so forth.

Granted, a lot of the newer lord types and legendary lords give you the option to stack a lot of bonuses onto a particular unit /type which is useful. But some of the older skills were really fun, such as flat damage boosts to weak melee units, regeneration, and expert charge defense.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Agent355 posted:

How do you deal with sieges early on as brets? Since cavalry are so drat useless when walls exist.
I only have real experience with Repanse, but I always bring Trebuchets (like jokes says), I dismount my lords and heroes, use said lords/heroes to distract the tower(s) that threatens my army while the trebs destroy said towers, then have the lords hop up onto the walls to grind through the enemy infantry on the walls. If the enemy army has not yet routed I will then open the gates one way or another and get my cav into the walls to mop up the enemy army. Oh and once a tower is knocked out I bring my peasant archers up to the walls to shoot at things that are either on, or behind, the walls. Shooting at things that are behind the walls is remarkably effective to the point of it being a little absurd how accurate the archers are shooting at something that they cannot see.

Hunt11 posted:

I use a mod that gives you 2 for the first 10 levels of lords and 5 levels of heroes.
Do you know the name of the mod? I've been thinking of picking one up and this sounds exactly what I want - just a few more points for lords and heroes but nothing too absurdly OP.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Dandywalken posted:

I made my own, it's really easy to get whatever distribution you want. Mine is 2 every even level, 1 every odd level for lords. 2 every multiple of 5 for heroes. Feels pretty good

Also chiming in to support the Mourgul Chariot. It owns

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Do you know the name of the mod? I've been thinking of picking one up and this sounds exactly what I want - just a few more points for lords and heroes but nothing too absurdly OP.

Balanced Skill Points

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Dandywalken posted:

Eh, I like having to specialize with the limited skill points, do you want to have a monster of a lord, or do you want to have a better army? At level 30 your lord should pretty much be an expert at everything you need, and at level 40 you should have been able to pick up everything from the line you ignored.

Honestly I'd more like something that removed lighting strike, but unfortunately it's kind of required on higher difficulties due to the amount of armies your enemies field at any given time.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The one I use is called skill point jumpstart.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1170046515

feller
Jul 5, 2006

How feasible would it be to make a mod that halved army/garrison sizes? Possibly I'd also want to halve damage and hp too but I haven't really thought it through

e: I guess by feasible I mean would I have to edit everything individually or are there some global values I could change?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

yikes! posted:

How feasible would it be to make a mod that halved army/garrison sizes? Possibly I'd also want to halve damage and hp too but I haven't really thought it through

Do you mean halve unit sizes (i.e. an archer unit of 100 models is now 50) or halve army size (i.e. there is now a cap of 10 units per army)? The former is super easy, the later basically impossible I think

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

Do you mean halve unit sizes (i.e. an archer unit of 100 models is now 50) or halve army size (i.e. there is now a cap of 10 units per army)? The former is super easy, the later basically impossible I think

I meant the latter :(

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

yikes! posted:

I meant the latter :(

First of all, I'm not really a modder. I've done some basic stuff, but nothing huge. But I think the best way to hack this would be to edit the AI script to make them not build armies bigger than 10 and just restrict yourself to 10 unit armies?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

can confirm this one feels about right

not excessive and makes the start less of a pain

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

So is Mortal Empires basically just WH1 in WH2? Also is it worth grabbing WH1 if I'm enjoying 2 to get that stuff unlocked?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Disclaimer, I have all the DLC.

But yah, the combined map is worth it. WH1 races are good and are getting updates. It should add a lot of replayability.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gorelab posted:

So is Mortal Empires basically just WH1 in WH2? Also is it worth grabbing WH1 if I'm enjoying 2 to get that stuff unlocked?

If you consider that it costs twenty bucks to buy one race DLC full price, game 1 is basically four of those plus new starts for a bunch of game 2 characters. It's the best value DLC of all.

e: although greenskins basically don't count until their rework comes

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

beastman_life.jpg

Autoresolve is just confused by Beastmen, I'd constantly get 50/50 strength on fights where I lose <100 units fighting manually. A full gold-chevron T4-T5 stack with lvl 40 lord & gorebull against a lovely stack + garrison? "Looks even to me!" -Autoresolve, wearing a jester hat

The ME victory conditions (kill Empire & Bretonnia) get pretty ridiculous when all the "bad guys" on the continent get killed off early on (VC, Greenskins, Norsca). Even the Chaos invasion wasn't much help, it just ran into a wall of Dwarf and died without doing anything.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

yikes! posted:

e: I guess by feasible I mean would I have to edit everything individually or are there some global values I could change?

Actually for the latter, cant you edit the startpos.ini for your savegame? I used to set it to 40 unit armies, dunno why ten would be impossible

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

It also helps the ai. If they have enough skill points, they're eventually forced to spend them on good things and so you can run into some genuinely scary doomstacks. It's fun

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Playing dwarves again, Grombrindal has one hell of a blue tree.

Edit: I had forgotten how the second you go for Mount Gunbad, Grimgor pops out of the fog to mess with your starting province. Every time
Edit2: How does the Rictus clan have a massive undercity under one of my settlements by turn 12? Do they just start with it?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 31, 2019

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
I got back into this game after a year of not touching it and Mortal Empires is super fun right now. I'm playing as Reikland again, so quick question: if I attack Marienburg do I lose Imperial Authority?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

torsoboy posted:

I got back into this game after a year of not touching it and Mortal Empires is super fun right now. I'm playing as Reikland again, so quick question: if I attack Marienburg do I lose Imperial Authority?

Nope!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Thinking about how the ME map is now, I bet kataphs the southern realms mod is real fun right about now.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

torsoboy posted:

You do not lose any Authority when attacking only Marienburg because they are seceded from the empire or something like that. If you attack any other member of the Empire without provocation you will take an authority hit.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Double Bill posted:

beastman_life.jpg

Autoresolve is just confused by Beastmen, I'd constantly get 50/50 strength on fights where I lose <100 units fighting manually. A full gold-chevron T4-T5 stack with lvl 40 lord & gorebull against a lovely stack + garrison? "Looks even to me!" -Autoresolve, wearing a jester hat

The ME victory conditions (kill Empire & Bretonnia) get pretty ridiculous when all the "bad guys" on the continent get killed off early on (VC, Greenskins, Norsca). Even the Chaos invasion wasn't much help, it just ran into a wall of Dwarf and died without doing anything.

Whereas I haven't had to fight a battle manually for about a hundred turns now.
Shadowgore Warherd have managed to tickle Reikland a bit - razing a couple of settlements and cleaning up a few armies - but I doubt they'll last very long.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there a lore reason for why almost all the dwarf factions have "Distrusts dwarfs" as a trait?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Broken Cog posted:

Is there a lore reason for why almost all the dwarf factions have "Distrusts dwarfs" as a trait?

'is cousins uncles dad pushed my third nephews sisters aunty down a mineshaft over some diamonds!!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

all dwarfs only elect the most dwarf dwarf to be king dwarf and to prove most dwarfyness they must be alpha dwarf

and them other dwarfs ain't right

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Dwarf logic in lore vs the game implementation of dwarf logic is kinda complicated. Like if there were enough if-then statements to reflect lore dwarf-logic then it would make for a majorly unfun game. For instance, my Repanse vortex campaign the greybeard prospectors want me to wardec karak zorn which nevereverever would happen because the dwarfs would rather never admit a fault to non-dwarfs than realize their bros are at fault. But ya know sometimes it’s better to recognize the dichotomy to have some fun yo

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Are any of the Lizardmen cavalry units any good or should I just be using dinos for shock? In general most of the factions I've tried's cavalry feels really weak.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Gorelab posted:

Are any of the Lizardmen cavalry units any good or should I just be using dinos for shock? In general most of the factions I've tried's cavalry feels really weak.

I enjoy using them. Mostly because they look awesome, but they feel effective to me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Broken Cog posted:

I think in game it's a random roll for each faction, related to difficulty level- consistently, the higher difficulty I play, the more dudes of my own race have the trait that makes them wary of me.

Like I played L Teclis most recently and doncha know, everyone except Alarielle, Tyrion, Anar, and Cothique had the anti-high elf trait.

e: I think practically all the game two cav suffers in campaign. They work in the MP roster mostly but in campaign there's very little motivation to build them vs skipping straight to big monsters and flyers.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 1, 2020

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gorelab posted:

In quickplay, spear riders are one of my most-used units.

In campaign, most cold ones suffer from the "mid-game unit syndrome" and thus don't matter too much. I've found that horned ones are very effective, though they take pretty heavy losses sometimes.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Now that I have run out of steam in this Vortex Repanse game I'm thinking of trying out Mannfred again, but I would like to make sure I can confederate Vlad and Isabella. I know there is a mod that lets you confederate defeated LLs, but is there one that will open them both up to me if Vlad never recruits Isabella?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Horned Ones and Dragon Princes can certainly put in work to be effective. Even when I badly control them my Dragon Princes will get kills in the 100s, while Horned Ones are just raptor mounted buzzsaws. Though as sustained cav they are almost better used similar to how Kroxigors are, stacked on your infantry. Never played DE in depth though so I can't comment on their cav.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Eimi posted:

Horned Ones and Dragon Princes can certainly put in work to be effective. Even when I badly control them my Dragon Princes will get kills in the 100s, while Horned Ones are just raptor mounted buzzsaws. Though as sustained cav they are almost better used similar to how Kroxigors are, stacked on your infantry. Never played DE in depth though so I can't comment on their cav.

Dark riders with crossbows aren't exactly the same as reaver archers but they are also extremely good- mobile ranged buzzsaws that can also chase routers off. They lose melee power but get, you know, repeater crossbows vs reavers. Regular ones are fine but not notable.

Doomfire warlocks are one of those units that does work in MP and in certain weird campaign battles but has practically no role in the 40 v 40 doomstack fights that you need to build armies for. They live with chameleon skinks in my mind. They'd love a mod that capped stacks at 10 or so.

Cold one knights I hate but I see people bring them in MP streams who are definitely better than me, so I assume they have a place somewhere.

They suffer the same way HE cav suffers in campaign though: the light cav comes in a specific T3 building, and excels in early battles. Except early on you're probably rushing growth, money, and garrisons in your small cities, and spear/ranged stacks handle most everything the AI throws at you without being situational. So by the time you feel like bothering to add cav, you've practically moved past bothering with them more than maybe one or two units to chase. The heavy cav comes so late that there's not much a reason to ever bring them at all because you're throwing out monsters by then, and in DE's case, they rampage.

All campaign units, though, get together and laugh at white lions and great eagles and their godawful useless building.

e: white lions are a sticking point for me cuz boy i love elves and in all versions of tabletop they were more of a sidegrade to swordmasters, not just lovely store brand swordmasters. They should be more like slayer/swordmaster hybrids. Fast for infantry and a bonus vs large.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 1, 2020

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

yikes! posted:

Not a mod but assault garrison has become really, really effective, with perks itll kill 20% a hit.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Dark riders with crossbows aren't exactly the same as reaver archers but they are also extremely good- mobile ranged buzzsaws that can also chase routers off. They lose melee power but get, you know, repeater crossbows vs reavers. Regular ones are fine but not notable.

Doomfire warlocks are one of those units that does work in MP and in certain weird campaign battles but has practically no role in the 40 v 40 doomstack fights that you need to build armies for. They live with chameleon skinks in my mind. They'd love a mod that capped stacks at 10 or so.

Cold one knights I hate but I see people bring them in MP streams who are definitely better than me, so I assume they have a place somewhere.

They suffer the same way HE cav suffers in campaign though: the light cav comes in a specific T3 building, and excels in early battles. Except early on you're probably rushing growth, money, and garrisons in your small cities, and spear/ranged stacks handle most everything the AI throws at you without being situational. So by the time you feel like bothering to add cav, you've practically moved past bothering with them more than maybe one or two units to chase. The heavy cav comes so late that there's not much a reason to ever bring them at all because you're throwing out monsters by then, and in DE's case, they rampage.

All campaign units, though, get together and laugh at white lions and great eagles and their godawful useless building.

e: white lions are a sticking point for me cuz boy i love elves and in all versions of tabletop they were more of a sidegrade to swordmasters, not just lovely store brand swordmasters. They should be more like slayer/swordmaster hybrids. Fast for infantry and a bonus vs large.

Yeah poor Lions suffer from CA trying to balance the weird HE roster that is WAY elite heavy. I don't know if they need anti-large perse but they should absolutely be the offensive HE unit, while SM and PG are defensive. Though I have a hard time caring to us either unit in my late game HE stacks since....spears and archers do so much of the work anyway. I can just add a dragon and some dragon princes and be good for half the upkeep. I don't know if it's a stat distribution or what but PG just never perform how I feel they should, where in TT they are just one of the best units all around.

...also I've never compared but HE spearmen should be the best spearmanii unit in game if they aren't.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
How are people playing Lokhir now? I took out the Southern Sentinels and killed off the Citadel of Dusk but I still don't have enough income to afford a land stack and sail around with a full black ark. I am surrounded by skaven/dinos so I can't really just fart off into the ocean or I lose all of income. Also its super weird that his red blade quest is all the loving way up north.

quote:

white lions are a sticking point for me cuz boy i love elves and in all versions of tabletop they were more of a sidegrade to swordmasters, not just lovely store brand swordmasters

The AI has a huge boner for nuking White Lions first with ranged attacks which doesn't help. I can have 4-5 units in front of them and the AI will move its own ranged units forward into danger just to nuke the White Lions. Even with Alistair buffing them they suck, they really need some love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Things I need to learn: it's probably better to let an ally get hosed if you're just finishing a war and all your armies are busy rebuilding/tying down the public order of places you just took rather than trying to deal with a whole new war with your half dead stacks.