Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Hwurmp posted:

Outer Wilds is GOAT for trying to land on cool looking rocks

It has newtonian space flight physics, though, not airplane flight mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Hwurmp posted:

Outer Wilds is GOAT for trying to land on cool looking rocks

Does it have a Steam release date yet? The store page just says TBA

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I think I need to try Outer Wilds again. I enjoyed what I played but got spooked real bad when black holes showed up

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Tagra posted:

Does it have a Steam release date yet? The store page just says TBA

Outer Wilds is the game that made me reinstall Epic Games Store (still had shadow complex on it when it was free) and now that they have been offering free games weekly (and daily during holidays) I realized I was an idiot to shy away from it because "I don't want two game launchers".

Half of the games they offered for free are games I considered purchasing or purchased already. I got FTL, the Messenger, Celeste, Surviving Mars, All the Batman Games, the Wolf Among Us, Into the Breach, Everything, etc.

And more free games coming every day. It's ridiculous.

Also just got Control with the :10bux: they offer for the holidays and drat that's a cool game.

e: Ahah and today it's Shadow tactics. I've been waiting for ages for it to go below 5 bucks and they just offer it. The absolute mad men.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 28, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Shadow Tactics is the best game of 2016 and one of the top 5 of the decade, absolutely grab that if it's free.

It's admittedly a better experience with a SSD. Load times are fairly long and you will likely be reloading fairly often.

e: wrong year, and just as well as otherwise it'd be competing against Hollow Knight lol

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 29, 2019

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I am struggling a little to get into Invisible Inc. and did not like Phantom Doctrine, but do love the XCOM games and Battletech.

What are the odds I like Shadow Tactics?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Wrong point of comparison. Have you played commandos, old-school syndicate, or satellite reign?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Looking for a Switch game that’s mindless but engaging - something like Binding of Isaac but less actiony. Basically something I can get stoned and zone out while playing.

Any good roguelikes/lites?

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 29, 2019

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Shadow Tactics is like a cross between an RTS and a puzzle game. There's very little in common with XCOM

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

sean10mm posted:

I am struggling a little to get into Invisible Inc. and did not like Phantom Doctrine, but do love the XCOM games and Battletech.

What are the odds I like Shadow Tactics?

Sounds like you want something more granular than Invisible Inc. Phoenix Point might be a good fit. Definitely give Jagged Alliance 1.13 a try too. There’s a (still active!) thread for it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3053233&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=236

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Got Hades on early access last week, and I've already clocked about 60 hours. I'm looking for an ARPG/Hack-and-slash with a similar feel, control-wise, and lots of customizability, but not so "rogue-y". Something like Diablo/PoE/Titan Quest, but without god-awful click-to-move controls.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Looking for a Switch game that’s mindless but engaging - something like Binding of Isaac but less actiony. Basically something I can get stoned and zone out while playing.

Any good roguelikes/lites?

I've been really digging Monster Hunter GU on the Switch. I often get stoned and do the Monster Hunter grind, the combat is slow enough that being a little slow yourself usually isn't the end of times.

On the roguelike side of things, I've only got a PC recommendation. CogMind is great. You play as a robot murdering other robots for their robot parts so you can be a better robot. https://store.steampowered.com/app/722730/Cogmind/

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Fruits of the sea posted:

Sounds like you want something more granular than Invisible Inc. Phoenix Point might be a good fit. Definitely give Jagged Alliance 1.13 a try too. There’s a (still active!) thread for it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3053233&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=236

I played the hell out of JA2 and 1.13 over the years. It rules. :)

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Can someone recommend a game where someone's inventory doesn't actually disappear into thin air if they're killed? And/or you can steal them all unless worn on body? Especially a shop.

Case in mind is Fallout 2, in which you can pretty much kill off the drug dealer seller you met early and pretty much get all his inventory for free.

DOS2, however, even though you can trade with everyone, somehow didn't drop all their inventory when they are killed. There's the workaround of trading out all their stuff then trading back in, but that feels way too gamey.

Genre doesn't matter, fps or tps or isometric rpg etc. Bonus point if I can force-attack anyone.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Ciaphas posted:

I think I need to try Outer Wilds again. I enjoyed what I played but got spooked real bad when black holes showed up

I bought the game, played up to (what I am told) is the only major jumpscare in the game (if you've played you probably know the one) and I haven't started it up since. It really freaked me out.

srulz posted:

Can someone recommend a game where someone's inventory doesn't actually disappear into thin air if they're killed? And/or you can steal them all unless worn on body? Especially a shop.

Arcanum, for sure. All of the shops have inventories that you can find in the game world. With clever shenanigans you can become extremely OP very early on.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

srulz posted:

Genre doesn't matter, fps or tps or isometric rpg etc. Bonus point if I can force-attack anyone.

The game you are looking for is Kenshi, you can do all of that and more.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's mods for Minecraft that prevent inventory loss, or dark souls styled inventory dropped in a chest where you die so you can reclaim it (with a beacon to show when you're nearby), that sort of thing. Also mods to add extra inventories, craftable backpacks that take up one slot but open into 50-100 extra slots, an option for inventory save slots so you can set up a general inventory loadout, save it, and then click a button to make it replace your current inventory with that

You can also loot the houses of villages you come across. Both the chests inside, and the houses themselves, if you want

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kingdom Come Deliverance has all the shop inventories available in the world for taking too.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Ok, so I don't know what kind of game this might be, so feel free to get stretchy.

I've noticed that I have a very strong pattern with moddable games. Skyrim, Xcom 2, Fallout games. I install about 50 mods that, combined, give me dramatically more power. Crushing the game.

However, like a bad person, I install all 50 of them at once. This is never a good idea. So, what happens is I spend a lot of time getting the game to not immediately crash to desktop. But I'm very persistent, and eventually, I figure out some detail I missed, everything snaps into place, and then I go and absolutely steamroll the game for a while.

Inevitably, some huge bug happens, or I trip upon some mod that I really like, which inevitably breaks the game, and I start again.

I really, really enjoy trying to figure out why in the hell the game isn't running, but I also really enjoy the longer period of punching holes through people while I fly around with eye-beams. The game that I'm really playing is figuring out the mods; the game itself is the reward for completing the challenge.

So, I'm wondering if there's a game that has a series of tasks or puzzles that are, initally, very difficult to figure out, or require a great deal of planning up-front, but then it's followed by a period that's relatively easy. Heavy on initialization, light on execution.

I have played and enjoyed games like Factorio and Satisfactory, but I do notice that there's eventually a point where the puzzles get too big ("Ok, so I actually need to redo this entire area" or "all right, now I need to build... an entirely new factory over here"), and then I kinda wander off.

Any ideas?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Baba Is You probably isn't what you're looking for but it's definitely worth checking out if you haven't.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Ok, so I don't know what kind of game this might be, so feel free to get stretchy.

I've noticed that I have a very strong pattern with moddable games. Skyrim, Xcom 2, Fallout games. I install about 50 mods that, combined, give me dramatically more power. Crushing the game.

However, like a bad person, I install all 50 of them at once. This is never a good idea. So, what happens is I spend a lot of time getting the game to not immediately crash to desktop. But I'm very persistent, and eventually, I figure out some detail I missed, everything snaps into place, and then I go and absolutely steamroll the game for a while.

Inevitably, some huge bug happens, or I trip upon some mod that I really like, which inevitably breaks the game, and I start again.

I really, really enjoy trying to figure out why in the hell the game isn't running, but I also really enjoy the longer period of punching holes through people while I fly around with eye-beams. The game that I'm really playing is figuring out the mods; the game itself is the reward for completing the challenge.

So, I'm wondering if there's a game that has a series of tasks or puzzles that are, initally, very difficult to figure out, or require a great deal of planning up-front, but then it's followed by a period that's relatively easy. Heavy on initialization, light on execution.

I have played and enjoyed games like Factorio and Satisfactory, but I do notice that there's eventually a point where the puzzles get too big ("Ok, so I actually need to redo this entire area" or "all right, now I need to build... an entirely new factory over here"), and then I kinda wander off.

Any ideas?

The Witness feels exactly like that.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Any ideas?

How about Car Mechanic Simulator? That’s about diagnosing a very intricate machine and systematically repairing it. Also features test driving and long term restoration jobs!

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Is there something on the more chill end of city builders? Something like a contemporary Zeus or Pharaoh? I've played the Tropico series, that was great, along with a couple of games in the Anno series, which were also good. Cities: Skylines was a little dry for me and I never figured out traffic. Dawn of Man was also awesome.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
First two Darksiders are free this week on the epic game store.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Riatsala posted:

Is there something on the more chill end of city builders? Something like a contemporary Zeus or Pharaoh? I've played the Tropico series, that was great, along with a couple of games in the Anno series, which were also good. Cities: Skylines was a little dry for me and I never figured out traffic. Dawn of Man was also awesome.

Maybe Surviving Mars? The City Builder Megathread is here, you could ask there.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Any ideas?

TIS-100, SHENZEN I/O, Exapunks

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Infinifactory, Mindustry, human resource machine

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Riatsala posted:

Comedy option: Islanders

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Thanks guys, I'll check into some of these.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

How about Car Mechanic Simulator? That’s about diagnosing a very intricate machine and systematically repairing it. Also features test driving and long term restoration jobs!

How much do I already need to know about cars?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

On that note, My Summer Car requires you to assemble a completely dismantled car in the garage before you can get to the rest of the game. Sort of. There are other methods of transportation, also you may starve, have a drunken accident or an "incident" during assembly.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Thanks guys, I'll check into some of these.

How much do I already need to know about cars?

Not very much. You might need to google where a thing is in the engine, but I was able to repair a dozen cars or so despite knowing nothing about 'em.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Car Mechanic Sim highlights all the parts and displays names. I don't know a drat thing about cars but I can enjoy fixing them in it. Even gets kind of puzzle game-y at times, when you don't know what parts are broken and have to try and use your tools to figure it out.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Broken Cog posted:

Comedy option: Islanders

I picked it up and really liked it, though I don't know that I'll play more than a couple hours. Thanks!

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Hi thread! I recently played Return of Obra Dinn, and now I'm wondering if there are other cool detective games like that. I know there's Phoenix Wright and some point-and-click games, but I would like something that's just puzzles, the less talk the better (or some REALLY GOOD talk, anyways)
If it's a one-of-a-kind game, I'm just generally into cool puzzle games, so maybe you can recommend some of those. I really enjoyed Papers Please, Talos Principle, Portals, QUBEs (less so, but it scratched that Portal itch) and recently the genius Baba is You.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Vookatos posted:

Hi thread! I recently played Return of Obra Dinn, and now I'm wondering if there are other cool detective games like that. I know there's Phoenix Wright and some point-and-click games, but I would like something that's just puzzles, the less talk the better (or some REALLY GOOD talk, anyways)
If it's a one-of-a-kind game, I'm just generally into cool puzzle games, so maybe you can recommend some of those. I really enjoyed Papers Please, Talos Principle, Portals, QUBEs (less so, but it scratched that Portal itch) and recently the genius Baba is You.

You should enjoy the witness then

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

You should enjoy the witness then
Ah crap, forgot about it completely. Yeah, I liked the Witness. Exploring and finding "in-world" puzzles was great!

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vookatos posted:

How about The Room? There's 3 of them I think, I only ever played the first one but I really enjoyed it.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Freaksaus posted:

How about The Room? There's 3 of them I think, I only ever played the first one but I really enjoyed it.

Yeah they even get better with each episode.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Vookatos posted:

Outer Wilds is a very good detective game where you piece together a sci-fi mystery nonlinearly, although it's not very mechanics heavy. It reminds me of Myst, and seems a lot like Obra Dinn, although I haven't played the latter. The Professor Layton games are kind of the other end of the spectrum, where the story is very linear and you don't do much deduction but instead solve mechanical puzzles to move the plot along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Freaksaus posted:

They made a third one? Will grab, thanks.