Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Probably not. I don't play much D2 but it's drawing you in with the same combat incentives, just on a shorter timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Khanstant posted:

Is this game good if you don't like Diablo 2 style ARPG?

I mean if you like Dead Cells/Nuclear Throne/Enter the Gungeon/Rogue Legacy/etc, you'll like it. It's not Point n Click and plays great with a controller. There's also no loot-management.

If you fundamentally hate roguelites though, then yes you won't like it. I don't feel Diablo has really much in the way of comparison other than it's also an isometric kill-zombie game. It's much more similar to Nuclear Throne/DC/EtG type games.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Khanstant posted:

Is this game good if you don't like Diablo 2 style ARPG?

It has more in common with a twin stick shooter that Diablo. So probably?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is this game any good as a real roguelike or is it all in on the roguelite design of "die a million times before you unlock tons of stuff that lets you steamroll the game".

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
so if you're having trouble winning with the sword like i was, switch to the poseidon aspect (special dislodges cast crystals from enemies) and fish for the "exit wounds" boon from artemis, which makes enemies take a shitload of damage when cast crystals are dislodged from them

yes, that works; i just killed the final boss in a minute and a half doing that

Internet Kraken posted:

Is this game any good as a real roguelike or is it all in on the roguelite design of "die a million times before you unlock tons of stuff that lets you steamroll the game".

it's probably closer to the latter than you might like but most of the things you unlock are either weapon options - which are less "powerups" and more "completely distinct ways to play the game" or defensive/utility options; the majority of your offensive power (which is way more important than defense if you're any good at dodging) is tied up in boons, which are acquired in-run

the most important powerups you unlock between runs are probably the death defiance tokens and the second dash and it doesn't take very long to get them; trinkets might take longer but one of the better ones (from cerberus) is trivially easy to acquire

e: i answered that from mostly a time investment perspective; if you mean "will the game eventually get trivially easy from purely meta powerups", it will definitely not, and there's a scaling difficulty thing to counteract it anyway (and one of the scaling difficulty options encourages you to turn off what meta-powerups you do get)

the game is pretty tough and no amount of grinding changes that

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 31, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

President Ark posted:

it's probably closer to the latter than you might like but most of the things you unlock are either weapon options - which are less "powerups" and more "completely distinct ways to play the game" or defensive/utility options; the majority of your offensive power (which is way more important than defense if you're any good at dodging) is tied up in boons, which are acquired in-run

the most important powerups you unlock between runs are probably the death defiance tokens and the second dash and it doesn't take very long to get them; trinkets might take longer but one of the better ones (from cerberus) is trivially easy to acquire

e: i answered that from mostly a time investment perspective; if you mean "will the game eventually get trivially easy from purely meta powerups", it will definitely not, and there's a scaling difficulty thing to counteract it anyway (and one of the scaling difficulty options encourages you to turn off what meta-powerups you do get)

the game is pretty tough and no amount of grinding changes that

I see. How close to complete is this game anyways? I don't really like palying early access games but a bunch of streamers I watch have started playing this and it puts me in a position where I wanna experience the content before seeing them do it.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Just stop watching the streams for a bit!

The next major update should be within the month. The games structure is in place from a to z. They're still adding things like an actual ending(past the current final boss the game ends rather abruptly), we're getting another weapon and a new deity with their set of boons. So almost fully done? Actual release date is not yet know iirc.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The cool thing about it is that all of the bonuses you can get from “leveling” are optional and can be turned on or off before any run, same with the detriments if you want to try hard mode runs.

It’s fairly roguelike in that how you play on a given run is extremely dependent on what boons you get after each room is cleared. You can’t force a build though you can make it slightly more likely to see one God’s boons per area, though that god will only give you three options out of their possible dozen so even that is pretty rng. I’m enjoying trying out the permutations because they really can change up your play patterns, even with the same base weapon.

I think it’s a lot more comparable to dead cells than Diablo.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

K8.0 posted:

That sounds like something is actually wrong with your system. This game is really, really easy to run. Is everything else running the way it should?

I can run DMC5 maxed at 60FPS so...Hades is a weird outlier. I clean installed drivers and even resetted Windows.

Lester Shy posted:

I have the exact same hardware and get terrible FPS drops in Asphodel and Elysium. It seems like it gets worse when I take damage.

Hopefully it's a weird compatibility thing. My laptop is WAY shittier (840M and a low i5M) and it runs Hades better.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

kaschei posted:

Maxed Hestia Rail + Artemis Dash Attack is the most powerful combo in the game, fight me if you're wrong about this.

It's not worth playing "bolt action" style at lower ranks, and if you don't get the boon offers you want it's important to remember that you can keep shooting the drat thing (also against the rats in Styx), but at 150 base damage a lot of enemies just... evaporate. If you can get a source of crit and Artemis dash you will see damage numbers over 1000, 1500 if everything goes right (this might require Distant Memory).

It's a bit like if the bow always powershot and you could move around and cast while charging it. But then you add 50 base damage on top of that and it "charges" really fast.

I just tried this, and you've found the first rail playstyle I actually like. I didn't even max Hestia and I got my dash bonuses from Chaos instead of Artemis and it still worked great. I even ended up skipping triple bomb in favor of piercing fire because I thought it'd work out better (it did).

Now if only the spear and the shield had alternate playstyles available. I like the shield's charged shot upgrade, maybe get that in there as an aspect?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If I buy on Steam is it possible to transfer my EGS save across? I'd really rather not start all over again.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pierson posted:

If I buy on Steam is it possible to transfer my EGS save across? I'd really rather not start all over again.

Changing the platform shouldn't affect the saves at all

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Pierson posted:

I can give you a definitive "yes", as long as you didn't do something like delete all your local files.
Hell, you can move the installed files into the Steam path and skip most of the download time.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Finally got my first clear after about 30 runs using the spear. Turns out the secret ingredient is +3 additional dashes. My single target damage was actually pretty terrible and Hades seemed to take forever, but being able to dash out of his spin attack and through the green shockwaves without needing to time it particularly closely was a total game changer. I also had like +430% wall slam damage from knockback and +7 bounces with knockback on each one so small rooms with lots of enemies—the tunnels in Styx especially—got cleared out almost instantaneously. Not that any of that helped with bosses, but it did help me get to the end without spending any Death Defiances and that made a big difference in the final battle.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Pierson posted:

Just add the executable as a non steam game. No steam features really exist and you can still launch through steam

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Xaris posted:

I mean if you like Dead Cells/Nuclear Throne/Enter the Gungeon/Rogue Legacy/etc, you'll like it. It's not Point n Click and plays great with a controller. There's also no loot-management.

If you fundamentally hate roguelites though, then yes you won't like it. I don't feel Diablo has really much in the way of comparison other than it's also an isometric kill-zombie game. It's much more similar to Nuclear Throne/DC/EtG type games.

Okay, I think I'll dig this then. It's the loot management and grind about Diablo 2 style games I don't like, whereas I liked Diablo 1 where it's just one long roguelike dungeon and ya get what ya get. Rogue Legacy also definitely siphoned a week of my life away when it came out. I would buy it right now, but I really want to finish Pyre first because that was fantastic too.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Ragnar34 posted:

I just tried this, and you've found the first rail playstyle I actually like. I didn't even max Hestia and I got my dash bonuses from Chaos instead of Artemis and it still worked great. I even ended up skipping triple bomb in favor of piercing fire because I thought it'd work out better (it did).

Now if only the spear and the shield had alternate playstyles available. I like the shield's charged shot upgrade, maybe get that in there as an aspect?
The spear has three playstyles:

Zagreus aspect: I'm going to stand on the other side of the world and wreck you twice every second, please line up.
Achilles aspect: I'm going to jump behind you and backstab you. If poo poo gets rough I will jump somewhere safe really fast. Also good for recovering bloodstones for casters!
Hades aspect: I will murder you twice as fast as anything just let me spin this up first

Shield has two playstyles:
Chaos: Bullrush! Multiball! Bullrush! Multiball!
Everything else: I guess you can actually attack things if you want to but I just bullrush everything

I assume max ranked Zeus is like a good Ares spell but I hate using that also. Seems like between 2 and 2.5 times a second (with possibly a bonus hit as it crosses over?). That's... decent damage if you can keep things in it, and the shield has pushback on every attack so... also, you can attack before it comes back, which is probably the worst thing about Chaos aspect.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think I KINDA found a fix for my performance issues? Someone said to turn on the anti-lag feature on the software, and that plus turning off VSync and forcing anisotropic filtering seems to have mostly fixed it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Volte posted:

Finally got my first clear after about 30 runs using the spear. Turns out the secret ingredient is +3 additional dashes. My single target damage was actually pretty terrible and Hades seemed to take forever, but being able to dash out of his spin attack and through the green shockwaves without needing to time it particularly closely was a total game changer. I also had like +430% wall slam damage from knockback and +7 bounces with knockback on each one so small rooms with lots of enemies—the tunnels in Styx especially—got cleared out almost instantaneously. Not that any of that helped with bosses, but it did help me get to the end without spending any Death Defiances and that made a big difference in the final battle.

having even just 1 extra dash can make all the difference between "dying on the final phase of the last boss" and "not even getting below half health with 0 Death Defiances used"

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Yeah mobility is king, whenever Hermes gives me the +3 dash boon I feel invincible and it's just a matter of time till I win even if my damage is lacking.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
Just got Athena's damage/deflection bonus for the bow special in a recent run, and it's hilarious for certain fights. When Megaera starts spamming energy blasts in all directions, you can spam your special right back and reflect almost everything back at her.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Dias posted:

I think I KINDA found a fix for my performance issues? Someone said to turn on the anti-lag feature on the software, and that plus turning off VSync and forcing anisotropic filtering seems to have mostly fixed it.

Thanks for this, this made Asphodel and Elysium much more playable.

After ~30 runs I finally beat the final boss or so I thought until I got to the second health bar :negative: I need to get much better at picking a strategy and sticking with it; I can usually brute force my way to the endgame, but Level 3 and beyond is a slog a lot of the time.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

This was absolutely, incredibly dumb, Hera Aspect Bow Cast builds are INSANE with just a bit of luck, and I got a METRIC FUCKTON of it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Activate Windows

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
stupid theory about the possible ending/postgame: the surface world had some manner of apocalypse happen (possibly nuclear war); this jumped into my head by a conversation that starts with fighting hades where he says "yeah it's always snowing up here, it didn't use to be like that" and went from there

it'd explain why all the surface enemies are weird toxic zombies, why persephone disappeared (as an aspect of life she'd be heavily affected by this sort of thing, presumably), why hades generally doesn't have cerberus guarding the exit (who'd want to escape into an irradiated hellhole??? and zag does make a note of this being weird if you interact with cerberus a lot), why hades has seemingly stopped giving a gently caress about maintaining things in general, why zag continues to wind up dying after escaping (irradiated hellhole) and why they have a freaking minigun/grenade launcher

also every other supergiant game has taken place during or immediately after an apocalypse of some sort

i'm probably wrong, though!

President Ark fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 1, 2020

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I don't really buy it, I figure some of the other gods would have something to say about that. Especially someone like Dionysus.

Edit: I do agree with you that there's something strange about that comment from Hades you mentioned though.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 1, 2020

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Norns posted:

Activate Windows

I just re-reformatted the PC trying to fix the weird lag issue, mate, don't be a douche.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
The food you get in this game is the biggest tell something weird is up.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
The red flag I first noticed is that it's both snowing and Persephone is away from the underworld. It should be one or the other -- the original myth explained the existence of seasons, as no plants could grow during the months she was away from the fields and forests. If she's not stuck with Hades, why isn't she doing her thing?

It's also weird that in her farewell letter, Persephone mentions Cerberus but not her son Zagreus.

edit: If the new Olympian next patch ends up being Demeter as the preview silhouette suggests, she might shed some light on the subject. She's Persephone's mother, after all.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 1, 2020

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Eh the gun has been around since the beginning of time, it was Hestia's weapon during the Titanomachy; I think something is up but it's not a modern day post apocalypse

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 1, 2020

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Athena's Dash: still dumb

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Dias posted:

This was absolutely, incredibly dumb, Hera Aspect Bow Cast builds are INSANE with just a bit of luck, and I got a METRIC FUCKTON of it.

I feel like I'm missing something with the Hera bow. I did two runs with it yesterday (and I have it upgraded to level 3 I think) during which I tried a bunch of things but it never stopped feeling underwhelming. I had it once with Athena's cast, then with Aphrodite's, neither seemed all that great. Do you load up all casts at once for one shot or one-by-one? I had the feeling that loading multiple casts is a little bugged - if the shot misses they kind of vanish but you can just load them up again even if it says you have 0 casts - and it didn't seem to do more damage than loading it up with one. Maybe I just didn't notice it. Both the Athena and Aphrodite effects also just kept missing once they triggered so I didn't see much benefit from them.

I did win the first run but the second to be fair was just a poor run, I got almost nothing good and Tisiphone nearly ended me right at the start. It didn't help that I still had a Chaos curse active that prevented me from using my casts in that fight. She moves too quickly for the bow. Eventually died to the final boss, as is usually the case with bad runs.

As an aside, I got Meg's second keepsake and it's cool but I was sad it doesn't work for the first and final boss fights, even if that makes perfect sense. I probably should not have immediately upgraded it to level 5.

edit: Okay, had a better Hera run just now, with Tipsy Shot.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 1, 2020

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I keep getting wrecked in Elysium. I had a great shield run where I was dealing so much damage with double Zeus lightning strikes and Artemis homing arrows that I barely used my special, cast, or call. Enemies would just melt away - until I got to Elysium, where as happens every time, the reanimating shield guys combined with mini exploding chariots and butterfly spawners ruined me. The shield guys are the worst; nothing worse than seeing "blocked" on the screen a bunch of times and then suddenly my HP is cut by 1/4th. Any tips?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

LifeLynx posted:

I keep getting wrecked in Elysium. I had a great shield run where I was dealing so much damage with double Zeus lightning strikes and Artemis homing arrows that I barely used my special, cast, or call. Enemies would just melt away - until I got to Elysium, where as happens every time, the reanimating shield guys combined with mini exploding chariots and butterfly spawners ruined me. The shield guys are the worst; nothing worse than seeing "blocked" on the screen a bunch of times and then suddenly my HP is cut by 1/4th. Any tips?

dash behind them (for shield guys). dash away from them (for chariots). Either focus the butterflies hard, or dash far far away from them and then come back to deal with them when they're the only thing alive.
but yes, elysium is where you work out whether you have a bunch of random skills, or a build.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That room is a fucker. The chariots you kinda have to run away from and they'll usually take care of themselves. I try to focus the orbs because they're easier to kill and then deal with the shield-bearers when everything is clear, but I always take SOME damage. Don't be afraid to use money to heal up, I'll usually pass on Charon God boons early on so that I can recover from a bad Elysium fight. No use wasting 150G on a Zeus dash.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Zeus dash counters those little chariots pretty hard though

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is this game fine to play with keyboard or do you need a controller for it?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It's fine, go for it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Dionysus is my gay wine aunt and I love him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
what's the recommended easiest 5/10/15 heat sets? i'm on 4 for chaos shield 2 or 3 for the rest at the moment but lookin to peep those infernal gates. i've pretty much been using jury summons, heightened security and middle management so far which are all more or less manageable excepting every time an elysium or styx trap insta fucks me out of a death defiance