Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
that seems unlikely at launch, but perhaps. a mod could add that sort of thing pretty easily, depending on how much realism you want. carrier-shaped runway in the water would be trivial. adding stuff like the arresting gear and OLS meatball and catapults and CAINS/ICLS autoland would take a lot of work. and of course you'd still need carrier-capable aircraft to really do it right.

a cessna 172 can easily land in half the length of a carrier flight deck without any special preparation, though, fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
hope they include other pilots loving up things like landing on the wrong runway so it can accurately simulate what happened to me today

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
actually now that I think about it that an "everyone else is Roy Hallady" mode like would be wild. They already have the Icon A5 in the game, this should be the logical conclusion.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

a cessna 172 can easily land in half the length of a carrier flight deck without any special preparation, though, fwiw

this has actually happened

https://tacairnet.com/2015/08/20/a-south-vietnamese-air-force-officer-was-responsible-for-one-of-the-craziest-carrier-landings-of-all-time/

a cessna o-1, derived from the cessna 170, actually did land on the uss nimitz during the fall of saigon

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this has actually happened

https://tacairnet.com/2015/08/20/a-south-vietnamese-air-force-officer-was-responsible-for-one-of-the-craziest-carrier-landings-of-all-time/

a cessna o-1, derived from the cessna 170, actually did land on the uss nimitz during the fall of saigon

meh. if the ship was steaming full speed i could accelerate, take off, land again, and stop on the nimitz with room to spare. (though that is still a good story)

now here's something really impressive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGy2ppViCck&t=115s

no arresting gear or catapults

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 25, 2019

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

meh. if the ship was steaming full speed i could accelerate, take off, land again, and stop on the nimitz with room to spare. (though that is still a good story)

the thing that makes me happiest about that story is when they just tossed $10M in ARVN gear overboard, because gently caress the old colonial regime, what matters now is saving 7 living human beings

Sagebrush posted:

now here's something really impressive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGy2ppViCck&t=115s

no arresting gear or catapults

jesus christ a c-130 on a carrier

and it stops on a dime

took brass balls to fly that poo poo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

took brass balls to fly that poo poo

one of my dad's friends was this old sicilian guy and he taught me that there's a whole hierarchy there

for everyday confidence and bluster you have palle, balls, or grandi palle, big balls
the more courageous people have palle d'acciaio, steel balls
the very brave have palle quadrate, square balls
if you're a true hero you have palle di cubo, cube balls

and for the most legendary feats you may combine multiple descriptors. the person landing a c-130 on an aircraft carrier undoubtedly has grandi palle di cubo d'acciaio

e: oh, and you can also have more than two balls, no specific upper limit

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 25, 2019

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
That's nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fteYkPabLTA

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

one of my dad's friends was this old sicilian guy and he taught me that there's a whole hierarchy there

for everyday confidence and bluster you have palle, balls, or grandi palle, big balls
the more courageous people have palle d'acciaio, steel balls
the very brave have palle quadrate, square balls
if you're a true hero you have palle di cubo, cube balls

and for the most legendary feats you may combine multiple descriptors. the person landing a c-130 on an aircraft carrier undoubtedly has grandi palle di cubo d'acciaio

e: oh, and you can also have more than two balls, no specific upper limit

sicily's greatest cultural contribution

great big cubical, steel balls

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
or are they steel, cubical balls

for once my native grammar is not enough to guide me in adjective order

edit:

code:
Generally, the adjective order in English is:

Quantity or number.
    Quality or opinion.
    Size.
    Age.
    Shape.
    Color.
    Proper adjective (often nationality, other place of origin, or material)
    Purpose or qualifier.
so, great big balls comes first

but whether steel or cubical comes first, is open to interpretation

so my native speaker's notion of confusion is ... grammatically correct

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i feel like great big steel, cubical balls is more correct, not for adjective ordering reasons but rather for poetic flow

thank you, sicily

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

when he taught me this taxonomy, istr that he described an extremely brave man as having "FOUR HUGE CUBED STEEL BALLS" so there you go.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

when he taught me this taxonomy, istr that he described an extremely brave man as having "FOUR HUGE CUBED STEEL BALLS" so there you go.

gently caress yes

this conforms to my native-english-speaker standards of adjective ordering

i am gonna start using this as a substitute for "brass balls"

FOUR, HUGE, CUBED STEEL BALLS has way more going for it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
especially if the bearer of FOUR HUGE CUBED STEEL BALLS is a woman

just to gently caress with my coworkers

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
on the edge of a cliff?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

i love this whole thing because someone finally figured out that you can do a wacky amount of calculations with a modern 8 core processor to make a great flight sim, and outsourcing texture storage to the cloud is genius

like 15 years ago simulating 2,000 surfaces and having them all interact with a 10-foot ring around the plane for fluid gas physics taking into account heat and atmospherics was something that'd kill a system and make the actual game part not tenable at 60fps.

now go nuts, you could probably do three times that on a high end system just fine.

just gotta draw the line and make it not star-citizen levels of overdoing it. make it feel right, don't worry about simulating every atom.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

P.hosed-up they're gimping a basic feature like that out of the release so they can sell it back as DLC!

:capitalism:

:mad::hf::sigh:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLcSNppK14k

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
yo Garmin wtf it's 2019 why aren't they just straight-up running the G1000 software inside of a VM instead of having some artists try to recreate the UI from scratch

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Jimmy Carter posted:

yo Garmin wtf it's 2019 why aren't they just straight-up running the G1000 software inside of a VM instead of having some artists try to recreate the UI from scratch

20 bucks says it's so poorly optimized (or overly optimized for non-x86) that doing this would have like, a 1000% overhead and take an entire thread by itself.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lmao weak

https://twitter.com/XPlaneOfficial/status/1197537865909096449

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

sounds very Star Citizen-y to me

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

sounds very Star Citizen-y to me

does the guy behind star citizen also have his head buried deep up his rear end? if so, then checks out

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
star citizen's "flight model" is "crysis jeep in noclip mode"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

how the gently caress does star citizen still exist?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
boundless human stupidity and deep pockets

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The same reason nigerian prince scams and evangelical churches still exist - many people are predisposed to giving lots of money to someone who tells them what they want to hear.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

xplane, as bad as it is, is at least a finished product with a scoped feature set

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

merry chrimbus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQFmpakz9Yo

looks like ~ai~ is good for something, finally; namely, converting orthographic photo textures to look like winter. first time i've seen anything like this in a flight sim. i hope they also have fall textures so i can fly over the east with all the colorful trees.

i love that shot of the tiny snowed-over town at 0:40. looks like where my grandma lives

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

merry chrimbus

looks like ~ai~ is good for something, finally; namely, converting orthographic photo textures to look like winter. first time i've seen anything like this in a flight sim. i hope they also have fall textures so i can fly over the east with all the colorful trees.

i love that shot of the tiny snowed-over town at 0:40. looks like where my grandma lives

you're sure they're using ai for the snow? its possible to do some pretty good procedural snow effect almost only with shaders. its what the crew 2 does for instance

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i assume that they're using ~ai~ to convert the orthographic ground textures, so like identifying roads and fields and parking lots and adjusting those areas of the texture appropriately, and to do stuff like selectively apply snow to the tops of buildings (see the chicago shot in the video).

but idk maybe shaders are capable of more than i know

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

i assume that they're using ~ai~ to convert the orthographic ground textures, so like identifying roads and fields and parking lots and adjusting those areas of the texture appropriately, and to do stuff like selectively apply snow to the tops of buildings (see the chicago shot in the video).

but idk maybe shaders are capable of more than i know

blending some white into the color as the normal vector approaches vertical orientation + excluding areas from a mask generated from projecting a shadow from the top (to avoid rendering snow underneath things) gets you most of the way there

however its true that the crew 2 uses some specific road textures but it knows where the roads are since they are procedurally generated (offline) whereas in fs sim they have to identify them from pictures. or perhaps they are using road data from bing

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

merry chrimbus

this looks ridiculously good

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Zlodo posted:

you're sure they're using ai for the snow? its possible to do some pretty good procedural snow effect almost only with shaders. its what the crew 2 does for instance

for sure there is shader work to make the snow look nice, but it also seems a really good use-case for deep learning to train a model on places where you have good data for the same landscape with and without snow, to apply that model to a place like new york where there's no way you have complete high quality satellite/aerial photos of it with a bunch of snow.

i.e. the model would output where in ny the snow is likely to be cleared, or piled up, or melted, or turned to ice, based on what happens on similar parts of the terrain in cities in canada. then feed that to some still very hard-built shader models to actually make it render pretty.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the implication that you could set the weather in miami to M15/M10 +SN OVC010 and fly the simulator in Nuevo Ice Age mode is very appealing to me

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 2, 2020

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

merry chrimbus

i don't have much interest in flight sims but this might be worth buying just for casual mode flying around cool places.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
this seems cool, but i dont know how to fly a plane.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Bored Online posted:

It's really easy when crashing has no consequences. You just push the stick the direction you want to go.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

i don't have much interest in flight sims but this might be worth buying just for casual mode flying around cool places.

honestly as they show off more and more of this incredible scenery i start to think the same. i do like all the simulation stuff obviously, but i also think it'd be great to just set to easy mode and sit on the couch flying around with an xbox controller looking at stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bored Online posted:

you just push up on the throttle and take off. ez