Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Onmi posted:

And warrior is yet even worse.

The level 60 Stormblood Warrior quest went full Hildibrand, and it ruled. I'm hoping against hope that the entire WAR storyline for Stormblood is like this, but I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Cabbit posted:

The level 60 Stormblood Warrior quest went full Hildibrand, and it ruled. I'm hoping against hope that the entire WAR storyline for Stormblood is like this, but I doubt it.
It is, especialy the finale, and the 80 quest too

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Just did the dark knight quest where I need to fight my master's master. Is that night sword!? I hope we get that as a move later on. That said they should let astrologians drop meteors too. They need a cool damage attack like white mages have. We have cool healing spells but needs a big messy attack that blinds melee.

I find Puglist/monks lame. They have the dumbest looking weapons in the game and I can't play them without feeling really weird about the ugly things they're holding. Also their combo system feels weird and different so there's that too.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Velveteen posted:

Just did the dark knight quest where I need to fight my master's master. Is that night sword!? I hope we get that as a move later on. That said they should let astrologians drop meteors too. They need a cool damage attack like white mages have. We have cool healing spells but needs a big messy attack that blinds melee.

I find Puglist/monks lame. They have the dumbest looking weapons in the game and I can't play them without feeling really weird about the ugly things they're holding. Also their combo system feels weird and different so there's that too.

Three words: Emperor's New Fists.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Some MNK fists are cool, but generally yeah they look pretty dumb.

Also I like the WAR quests because you can cuck Curious Gorge.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Threep posted:

It is, especialy the finale, and the 80 quest too

Well that's fantastic, I need to get on leveling that some more.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I don't much like playing Pugilist/Monk for the same reason I never like playing them in games: The fighting style is always some sort of kung-fu/martial art when all I want is a style more akin to a Brawler's, like All Might or something.
Just being a big dumb punchman.
I accept that I am in the minority on this, and luckily, I have TTRPGs to project that particular character style onto.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I wish I liked monk better because they have some of the best weapons in the game. The kettles, the flaming fists, emperor's new fists if you want to keep it simple. I'm partial to the cactuar things from the Gold Saucer and the Yo-kai Watch ones too. But I just don't like playing them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ibblebibble posted:

Also I like the WAR quests because you can cuck Curious Gorge.

But the Warrior of Light is already married. To adventure.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I am married to adventure and my wife.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

From extensive research it seems that you can be married and cuck someone.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

From extensive research it seems that you can be married and cuck someone.

Ah finally read your autobiography I see :smug:

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

The Ivalice questline probably wouldn't be as annoying if we didn't have to deal with Ramza. He's more annoying than Asahi because I know he's not evil just a dick and we won't get a chance to kill him.

And now he's obviously posessed by something.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ramza suddenly does a 180 in personality around the time of Orbonne, and it feels super unsatisfying because he goes from complete rear end in a top hat to gentleman in the blink of an eye.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
If anyone has a character on Lamia someone is trying to corner the Heavens Eye Materia VIII market driving prices up to 58k apiece. Every other server on the cluster has them for the usual 10-18k each.

You could resell them for 25k-30k all day long and make someone very unhappy. Bonus points if you undercut them back down to 15k when you’re done. Trying to corner a market with that much supply seems nuts.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

OK I'm actually going to seriously start leveling my first tank, which leads me to asking basic questions:

As a tank is it OK for me to stand in bad?
The role skills (Rampart, Arm's Length, and Reprisals) should be part of my main set of cooldowns, right?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

OK I'm actually going to seriously start leveling my first tank, which leads me to asking basic questions:

The role skills (Rampart, Arm's Length, and Reprisals) should be part of my main set of cooldowns, right?

Generally don't stand in the bad and try to position the boss such that their back and at least one flank aren't in the bad. And yes, use your role skill cooldowns.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Most of the time you don't want to stand in bad but a lot of dungeon bad doesn't much damage to a tank so sometimes you can stand in it just to avoid dragging a single mob around while two monks are trying to do positionals etc. Also stunning whatever's doing it avoids the decision entirely.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

One thing the game doesn't really communicate is the fact that when trash attacks you during Arm's Length, it's an attack slow that gets applied to them and not a movement so it's also a damage reduction cooldown.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Never stand in bad. Sometimes it gives vulnerability up stacks which make you take more damage. Other times, the bad just might outright kill you.

PotD's Floor 50 boss is a good example of the latter.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

You can stand in the bad a liiiiiiittle bit.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Admittedly it never gets old in 24mans watching tanks just stand in 1 shot poo poo thinking they can ignore mechanics.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

About cooldowns. Please use your tank cooldowns liberally. One thing I notice from new tanks is never using their cooldowns ever until they're down to like 20% hp. You have enough cooldowns and they're short enough to use on every pull.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Arm's Length is just for no-selling knockbacks. It's situational but sometimes useful. Rampart becomes largely irrelevant once you have two job cooldowns, but Reprisal is very good. Use it to survive big pulls and to make groupwide attacks in boss fights less damaging.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Darth Walrus posted:

Arm's Length is just for no-selling knockbacks. It's situational but sometimes useful. Rampart becomes largely irrelevant once you have two job cooldowns, but Reprisal is very good. Use it to survive big pulls and to make groupwide attacks in boss fights less damaging.

Ignore this person except on Reprisal. Arm's Length inflicts attack slow = less incoming damage = absolutely a defensive cooldown. I like to alternate between Rampart, the job cooldown that does the same thing, and Arm's Length + Reprisal + your other job cooldown (GNB regen etc.) on trash packs.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Tanks can stand in a little bad.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Why does everyone expect me to be some kind of giant!?

Is there some inside joke in there that I'm not getting or something? I'm liking the Invalice questlines, minus Ramza. Its like an alternate version of events in FFT. The places from FFT also shows up. Although not like the exact places like Ridorana lighthouse was built over the ruins of machine city Goug. The bosses however are from FF12 which was also Ivalice. Now we're heading to Orbonne monastery? These land whale creatures are pretty great by the way. Are they from FF12? I'm also liking Lina a lot. She has a lot of great lines.

Now to wait for queues.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The XII bosses are just Espers that also happened to be Lucavi in Tactics. By "land whales", I'm assuming you mean the Bangaa who are basically lizardmen. They are in all of the other Ivalice games, though, yes.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
given the average size of a god it would make sense that the godslayer is of comparable size

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Velveteen posted:

I like to think it’s because to people on the other side of the world you are like some sort of Paul Bunyan type figure. ‘That ol catgirl was as tall as a June tornado and thrice as ornery’

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Velveteen posted:

About cooldowns. Please use your tank cooldowns liberally. One thing I notice from new tanks is never using their cooldowns ever until they're down to like 20% hp. You have enough cooldowns and they're short enough to use on every pull.

Yeah, the best time to use a defensive cooldown is at the beginning of a pull. Think of it as increasing your effective health by whatever the mitigation % is. Using it early means you lose less health overall.

The other common mistake you see people make is only using cooldowns for boss fights. Trash packs actually do a lot more sustained damage than most bosses, so if anything you should be blowing your cooldowns on trash, especially if you're pulling multiple groups. Bosses are more about avoiding mechanics, but nothing will drop a tank faster than a couple groups of regular mobs all hitting them at once.

Also, you usually want to use your cooldowns one at a time, rather than stacking multiple ones at the same time. Unless you absolutely, positively have to be as tough as possible for a few seconds, it's better to spread them out and be moderately tough for an extended period.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Syenite posted:

Tanks can stand in a little bad.

As a snack.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
It's okay I got TBN. Now pop it you fuckers so I can fire my sword beam.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I like to think it’s because to people on the other side of the world you are like some sort of Paul Bunyan type figure. ‘That ol catgirl was as tall as a June tornado and thrice as ornery’

"You hear about the time the WoL crossed blades with the giant primal Susano?"

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Velveteen posted:

The Warrior of Light is a living legend at this point, and for nearly everyone who's yet to meet them in the flesh but knows them by tales and songs (from the Wandering Minstrel, no less), they're kind of imagining a larger than life figure and not really someone who's only human.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Also because it's funny if you're small or tall.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Argas posted:

Also because it's funny if you're small or tall.

We also need an NPC to go "ye gads, you're huge!" for minimum-height potatoes and cats.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Whats the timeframe from ARR to ShB?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
One hellishly long day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zeruel posted:

Whats the timeframe from ARR to ShB?

Deliberately unclear. I think the general reading is 'about as long as it took the content to come out in real time', but it's written in such a way that it could also just be a constant unbroken series of events, there's never any passage of time stated.