Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Massacre Girl is going to be an even bigger killswitch in the format with all these indestructible creatures hanging out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Thanks to Osmosisch for posting the trade sharking article in Duelist 4! I finished a 600dpi scan of the whole thing (14GB of TIFFs) with the melissa benson posters and punch out fallen empires counters. This issue was provided by John Schultz of Dyer, IN.

https://archive.org/details/DuelistMagazineIssue4-Spring1995/page/n41
https://archive.org/details/duelist4posters

Next up is some of the old Acclaim Shadow Mage comics. If anyone has #3, please DM me. I have 1, 2, and 4.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Bust Rodd posted:

Massacre Girl is going to be an even bigger killswitch in the format with all these indestructible creatures hanging out.

That's going to lead to situations where early triggers of her ability turn devotion off before enough have gone on to kill them. So that's fun.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

super cool that evangel of heliod was considered unplayable even in draft so they made a new version with -1 toughness and -1 W in the mana cost and called it a day

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Like usually the worst case for cards like that are you get a decent body, the gently caress is a 1/2 doing at anytime

In colors WotC likes? A lot actually.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Heliod is just another symptom if how boring and shallow White's part of the color pie is. What's there has the potential to be really strong, but because (rightfully) Wizards figured that just letting White have a giant pile of efficient answers to everything is a fast track to misery, they're restrained how much good and efficient answers they give White.

It's just that what remains is bad creatures, combat tricks, lifegain, and taxes- either of time or of mana. White being the color of order and laws, organized military forces and the heavenly host have potential but they're so stingy with cool effects. Like, the act of searching your library for more of a specific creature is such a white mechanic (it's conscription) and a way to learn more into their 'color of armies' while also giving White a form of card advantage that doesn't just stack their hand with Answers, but they're always so stingy with it in both frequency and use because Rebels and Caw-Blade were both things where they got it wrong (Caw-Blade more that the Caw was fine but the Blade part was entirely broken nonsense) and when they finally came up with the right version of this as Partners With, they shove it in a supplementary set and give it to every color.

White really could use Partners With to become part of it's color identity. It would fix a lot of problems with the creature base, it's give them a form of card advantage that is inherently White, and depending on the creatures with it, you could even give White ways to learn more into it's other roles as well (although you'd have to be careful about printing Answers creatures with Partners With.)

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Count Bleck posted:

This is a real good uncommon

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The new Wall of the White Orchid saga is an excellent white card and absolutely fills me with hope.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Heliod is unexciting but I think it's fine, you get a lot more than Ajani's Pridemate for one mana more. There are certainly games where it + Healer's Hawk will just win on their own.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

I'd be interested to see Rebels come back but with a sorcery-speed restriction on all the activations.

Maybe as a more generic keyword mechanic (since you know they'd make it a keyword or ability word anyway, since they can't help themselves), like "Recruit", that takes a creature type or some other characteristic of the searched-for creature as a variable. So you'd have a text line like "Recruit Rebel" or "Recruit creature with power 2 or less", followed by a cost. They could make it evergreen and dole it out to other colors when flavor-appropriate, but keep it mostly in white.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Couldn't they at least have made the Hoplite 2WW so you get two tokens out of it guaranteed at least?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Count Bleck posted:

Hey look it's a pushed green card

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Katana Gomai posted:

Hey look it's a green card

ftfy

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I like the dante's inferno flavor they've got going with this set

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

This guy was in the leaks a bit back; I like him, he makes everything a Fleetfeather Sandals in addition and 2 is exactly the equip cost of a sword of what and ever.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

JerryLee posted:

I'd be interested to see Rebels come back but with a sorcery-speed restriction on all the activations.

Maybe as a more generic keyword mechanic (since you know they'd make it a keyword or ability word anyway, since they can't help themselves), like "Recruit", that takes a creature type or some other characteristic of the searched-for creature as a variable. So you'd have a text line like "Recruit Rebel" or "Recruit creature with power 2 or less", followed by a cost. They could make it evergreen and dole it out to other colors when flavor-appropriate, but keep it mostly in white.

Rebels was a broken as gently caress mechanic (which I loved dearly), and even a sorcery speed version (even with restrictions) is either absolute garbage, or straight up busted. I'm not sure you can balance a card that, if unchecked, snowballs the game entirely in a consistent fashion.

And depending on if they have a 1 or 2 mana recruiter, which slips under countermagic, it also bashes the hell out of blue.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

lmao that green spider with 5000 lines of text doesn’t even fight it just shoots. Well done boys

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

lmao that green spider with 5000 lines of text doesn’t even fight it just shoots. Well done boys

Fight wouldn’t necessarily be a downgrade, since it would let you immediately escape it if it dies.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
It's not like it's a standard playable card, who cares. Kraul harpooner is better and nobody is complaining about that.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The escape is potentially really powerful but the front half is only good against 1 toughness fliers which is pretty narrow. It might be to counter that 2/1 flier which makes zombies?

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I have put up a form for capturing ratings for the spoiled cards. This is only for Rares and Mythics at this point. I will be updating this as more spoilers come out, you should be able to update your previous ratings and I'll put the new spoiled cards at the top.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Hellsau posted:

Heliod is a failure of a design. It's worthless unless it's broken, either by being part of an infinite combo or being printed into a format with no playable mass removal and enough Soul Warden effects that when you cast Heliod, you immediately get 8/8+ worth of stats and get 3+ counters every turn afterwards. Like Heliod needs so much of the format to be designed to make Heliod worth bothering with that I just think it's stupid and boring.

This really nails it, and Pleasant Kenobi made a similar video today while being softer on Heliod's design. It sucks how god drat boring White's mechanics are now and the only way their cards are playable is if they are outright broken or so above rate you'd be an idiot not to play them.

If White is shoe-horned into being white weenies and lifegain with almost no card advantage, it's really dull and sad.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/ChrisKMooney/status/1212109205798178816?s=20

:laffo:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Grifter posted:

I have put up a form for capturing ratings for the spoiled cards. This is only for Rares and Mythics at this point. I will be updating this as more spoilers come out, you should be able to update your previous ratings and I'll put the new spoiled cards at the top.

I think you need options for commander because some cards like Dakalos and Idyllic Tutor are clearly for its sake.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

before i got to #wotcstaff i was curious who this random bootlicker was

like, i still don't know who they are, but it's someone on the take not necessarily a bootlicker

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Grifter posted:

I get to influence trends and evaluations by being the first to contribute! Make fun of my terrible evaluations where I am way to soft on these cards which will likely never see play (save for the really ridiculous ones).

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Magic is humungous big. Why you heff to be mad?

Best year in terms of profits no?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Even for a de facto corporate tweet, this manages to be absolutely meaningless.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ilmucche posted:

Magic is humungous big. Why you heff to be mad?

Best year in terms of profits no?

Why would you assume anyone is angry about it?

https://twitter.com/ChrisKMooney/status/1212471012647825409?s=20

"innovations"

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
tbh all the limited formats this year have been great

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sickening posted:

Why would you assume anyone is angry about it?

https://twitter.com/ChrisKMooney/status/1212471012647825409?s=20

"innovations"

It's a tweet that reminded me of Ilya bryzgalov's thoughts on the universe. (Go to 30 seconds)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O-FvRyQOlbc

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i would rather them do 2019 every year and have to ban like 12 cards a year than have another design era like 2015-2017, that was loving dire

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
White has a lot of really cool stuff that's really hard to balance so I have sympathy for the design team. It's not an easy task.

Unconditional exile, flickering, board wipes, taxing; all a bunch of things that are either too powerful or too "annoying" to play against, or both.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Clowner posted:

White has a lot of really cool stuff that's really hard to balance so I have sympathy for the design team. It's not an easy task.

Unconditional exile, flickering, board wipes, taxing; all a bunch of things that are either too powerful or too "annoying" to play against, or both.

I hate the term "unconditional exile" referring to O-ring effects, because it isn't loving unconditional. Having a creature or enchantment on the field which, when removed gives your opponent their poo poo back is a HUGE loving condition.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
tons of casual magic fans complain about blue and counterspells all the time, but wizards still prints them

reprint ensnaring bridge but as an enchantment that costs www

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

AlternateNu posted:

I hate the term "unconditional exile" referring to O-ring effects, because it isn't loving unconditional. Having a creature or enchantment on the field which, when removed gives your opponent their poo poo back is a HUGE loving condition.

white does get Actual Unconditional Exile with stuff like Wanderer's Strike, Gideon Blackblade, but wizards is really reluctant to make that a large slice of what white can do.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i would rather them do 2019 every year and have to ban like 12 cards a year than have another design era like 2015-2017, that was loving dire

A hundred times this

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

tinaun posted:

tbh all the limited formats this year have been great

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, I'm primarily a limited player and this year was great for me.

Too bad this year reminded constructed players why they can't have nice things.

e: And reminded anyone who isn't just opening packs to play draft that the Hasbro/WotC is way more about the money it can bring in then the quality of the product, the community surrounding the game it makes, or even the health of the game itself.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lone Goat posted:

white does get Actual Unconditional Exile with stuff like Wanderer's Strike, Gideon Blackblade, but wizards is really reluctant to make that a large slice of what white can do.

Wanderer's Strike is creature only and Gideon Blackblade is a PW ultimate. >_>
Seriously?