Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

It blows my mind that game is on the Switch, did Nintendo censor it at all? (blood, nudity, swearing etc)

Blood no, swearing no, nudity I don't think so but I was playing it on the plane and when it got to the bits I recall there being nudity I put the screen face down on a table to avoid awkwardness.

Really what they need next for the Switch (and mobile phones) is Gwent. Because thats the best card game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mekchu posted:

Blood no, swearing no, nudity I don't think so but I was playing it on the plane and when it got to the bits I recall there being nudity I put the screen face down on a table to avoid awkwardness.

Really what they need next for the Switch (and mobile phones) is Gwent. Because thats the best card game.

I believe they pulled console support for Gwent to focus on getting it on Android and iOS.

Of course it's dead if MTG Arena gets on those platforms, because the one-two punch of Hearthstone and Magic is basically gonna push out everyone else.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well then they should hurry that up since I've been waiting for mobile phone Gwent for what feels like 5 years and I'm not going to have any more free time as I get older.

I also watched The Witcher show on my phone and yeah that was good. A bit off and not perfect but a solid show. I really hope they improve pacing and other nitpicky issues I had with the first season for the 2nd.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I just bought Witcher 3 on Switch, can't wait to start yet another playthrough I'll never finish

also I'm gonna need a bigger SD card

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

there is enough good in the witcher that i will probably finish it some day but i felt like i was being hosed about with to no good purpose. but it is funny when he says "hmm."

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

It blows my mind that game is on the Switch, did Nintendo censor it at all? (blood, nudity, swearing etc)
It's all there. Nintendo has loosened up about 3rd party games having stuff like that.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

nintendo doesn't ask for changes ever since the esrb became fully established, so that it's no longer their fault if a kid sees a religious symbol or someone's underwear. things like characters in some games having more clothes on in the north american versions, or the script being altered, comes from the game publishers deciding that it's in their best interest

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Cavauro posted:

nintendo doesn't ask for changes ever since the esrb became fully established, so that it's no longer their fault if a kid sees a religious symbol

don't like half the final fantasy's end with you killing god? i have made no effort to verify this

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I was dismembering dinosaur people in Turok for GameCube so if Nintendo is censoring stuff they missed some

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Downloading Hades now to play once Dynamite is over.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
What’s the deal with Hades anyway? It looks like a hack and slash, w/e.

I wasn’t very high on Transistor or Pyre so the developer itself doesn’t sell it for me

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Edit: Wrong thread.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
just found out there’s a new The Grudge movie coming out tomorrow. very tempted to go see it even though there’s literally no information about it at all whatsoever

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Bard Maddox posted:

just found out there’s a new The Grudge movie coming out tomorrow. very tempted to go see it even though there’s literally no information about it at all whatsoever

Go see it Bardley I'm gonna see it this weekend it looks so mediocre

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bard Maddox posted:

I'm seeing it Saturday. Even if it's trash, hey, first film in theaters of 2020 :toot:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Captain Magic posted:

What’s the deal with Hades anyway? It looks like a hack and slash, w/e.

I wasn’t very high on Transistor or Pyre so the developer itself doesn’t sell it for me

It's a Rogue-lite where you play Zagreus, son of Hades, trying to escape Tartarus. Every time you die you start right back at the beginning and the entire hellscape rearranges itself and you lose all the blessings you gained on your last run. But you can also permanently level yourself up, improve your equipment and weapons, learn patterns and abilities etc and each time you play through you get to talk to more people, learn more backstory, uncover secrets and use them to your advantage to speed things up. Each run you can find random messages from the Gods of Olympus (or something else) that gain you blessings that help you survive and fight further etc.

I'm not much of one for Rogue-lites but the mechanics alone are really fun, but there's an amazing aesthetic to go along with neat characters and genuinely fun (and often funny) writing. It's a really good game.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

NienNunb posted:

Go see it Bardley I'm gonna see it this weekend it looks so mediocre

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm seeing it Saturday. Even if it's trash, hey, first film in theaters of 2020 :toot:

I’m gonna go see it. I hope it rises to the heights of 2019’s first movie of the year, Escape Room

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I started playing Nioh and it's pretty fun and I enjoy the level design but christ it has a lot of systems to remember, I think Sekiro did it better but I am enjoying Nioh's level design a lot more.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bard Maddox posted:

I’m gonna go see it. I hope it rises to the heights of 2019’s first movie of the year, Escape Room

There's a sequel to that one later this year btw

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Gonna see unfucked gems on the silver screen saturday instead of poo poo quality on my monitor. i watched 6 movies today. fukka wrong wit me in the head now

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

It's a Rogue-lite where you play Zagreus, son of Hades, trying to escape Tartarus. Every time you die you start right back at the beginning and the entire hellscape rearranges itself and you lose all the blessings you gained on your last run. But you can also permanently level yourself up, improve your equipment and weapons, learn patterns and abilities etc and each time you play through you get to talk to more people, learn more backstory, uncover secrets and use them to your advantage to speed things up. Each run you can find random messages from the Gods of Olympus (or something else) that gain you blessings that help you survive and fight further etc.

I'm not much of one for Rogue-lites but the mechanics alone are really fun, but there's an amazing aesthetic to go along with neat characters and genuinely fun (and often funny) writing. It's a really good game.

Wait, the protagonist’s name is Zagreus? The guy who sits inside your head?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

While I love Hades, and I think it's their best work, it's still very Supergiant. If you didn't like Bastion/Transistor as a whole, you'd probably wanna skip. If, however, you were like "I don't really like them, but if they just tweaked the formula a bit..." then Hades is very much worth a shot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

We don't talk about that, Cobi :gonk:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

We don't talk about that, Cobi :gonk:

Whoa, that's weird. "Cobi" is my current nickname to nearly all of friends and my family of the heart, since when I was introduced to some of them some twenty years ago it was via IRC where my handle was "CobiWann." I was having flashbacks to a previous unhappy life for a moment there...

...ever been blessed to wake up, look around, and say "wow, I actually LIKE all of my friends?"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

CobiWann posted:

and eats you when you're sleeping?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

oh but seriously I posted:

don't like half the final fantasy's end with you killing god? i have made no effort to verify this

sometimes its god, sometimes its your dad. sometimes your dad is god. that you have to kill. othertimes its your childhood innocence manifested as a god that you have to kill. And I think in at least two cases, you're god and you have to fight yourself. to the death.

its called final fantasy because you kill god.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Artelier posted:

While I love Hades, and I think it's their best work, it's still very Supergiant. If you didn't like Bastion/Transistor as a whole, you'd probably wanna skip. If, however, you were like "I don't really like them, but if they just tweaked the formula a bit..." then Hades is very much worth a shot.

I liked Bastion a lot. It was really cool for its time. Transistor was kinda fun but the story was a big wankfest. Pyre was all right but almost no challenge at all and there was a lot of talking between fights.

ANYWAY I hope Hades is fun for everyone. Save for Cyberpunk 2077 I’m not buying anything until the Summer Sale. I’m not! I won’t! I promise! Really!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

coconono posted:

sometimes its god, sometimes its your dad. sometimes your dad is god. that you have to kill. othertimes its your childhood innocence manifested as a god that you have to kill. And I think in at least two cases, you're god and you have to fight yourself. to the death.

its called final fantasy because you kill god.

At least one time I want to say its the physical manifestation of the concept of entropy that you fight to a draw.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Magic posted:

ANYWAY I hope Hades is fun for everyone. Save for Cyberpunk 2077 I’m not buying anything until the Summer Sale. I’m not! I won’t! I promise! Really!
If you have a nice PC (which I think you said?) just get xbox game pass for PC anyway.

It has Phoenix Point on it and well, MS already owns all your telemetry anyway.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

If you have a nice PC (which I think you said?) just get xbox game pass for PC anyway.

It has Phoenix Point on it and well, MS already owns all your telemetry anyway.

My PC is very nice as of a week ago, which probably means it is sogshit now.

I’m trying my honest best to not acquire a bunch of new poo poo as therapy this year. I am loaded up on comics, shows, streams, books, and games. I want to spend 2020 expunging stuff from my psyche.

I heard Phoenix Point was overly complicated and not satisfactory. Confirm/deny?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Magic posted:

My PC is very nice as of a week ago, which probably means it is sogshit now.

I’m trying my honest best to not acquire a bunch of new poo poo as therapy this year. I am loaded up on comics, shows, streams, books, and games. I want to spend 2020 expunging stuff from my psyche.
Same. I mean, you're in the other thread, you know the abyss we walk around...

Also PCs don't move very fast anymore. I have installed Phoenix Point but haven't played anything since finishing TOW, which didn't satisfy. Instead I was reading Leviathan Wakes, which also doesn't satisfy! Which I put down at 42% and picked up some book the Kobo website recommended which is the weirdest paced fantasy I've read.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

sofia coppola marry me

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Spiderdrake posted:

Also PCs don't move very fast anymore.

Yeah, hitting the limits of Moore's Law kinda hosed up Intel's progress.

PCs just had a major leap forward in terms of CPUs in the last few months. The latest AMD chips now mop the floor with Intel for almost every desktop and server use case. It's not even close anymore. AMD has unleashed the Core Wars, forcing Intel to get off their lazy asses and innovate, or else be left behind.

CPUs had really stagnated for like 7 or 8 years, though. Intel got the normal desktop market to quad-cores with hyperthreading and just stopped innovating. AMD now offers a 16-core desktop CPU. Hell, you can go to the high end desktop/workstation parts now up to 32 or soon even 64 cores. The software has finally caught up to multi-core as well.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Started to watch Thunderbolt Fantasy because I scored some 1080p rips but whoever did the encoding went way overboard and now I have 2gig files for a 25minute show that causes my macbook's graphics processor to seizure.

so I ended up watching War of Dragons(an earlier show by the same production company) and its all in Taiwanese with iffy subtitling. Everyone speaks like they're casting spells and names are at least 6 syllable affairs. It takes a few episodes before you realize you're watching a martial arts soap opera. Best scene so far is one dude got so mad at another dude for dying so he pisses all over the dead guy's grave. Just in time for the dead guy's apprentice to show and get spritzed with piss too.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I had a cold for like three weeks straight, finally got over it for like four days, and now I somehow have the cold again. I lust for death.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

...ever been blessed to wake up, look around, and say "wow, I actually LIKE all of my friends?"

Yeah, it's pretty loving great :)

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Started playing Breath of the Wild, first game I haven’t been able to put down in ages.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Jerusalem posted:

If I really liked Rogue Legacy would I dig this?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Started playing Breath of the Wild, first game I haven’t been able to put down in ages.

My man, I am jealous as gently caress of you; have fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I’m watching Deep Space Nine and holy poo poo that place is a death trap. Thankfully they’re not as suicidal as the TNG crew was. They flew that loving thing into the sun. DS9’s federation contingent seems constantly befuddled at the anti-colonialism of the Bajorans. It makes for great speeches though.