Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I made the horrible mistake yesterday of stopping by dick's while I was out to gently caress around. I guess they're now stocking a select few catch co baits, including this little bugger.

$15 bucks for him is just fine since his big brother is like $60. Now I just need to go throw it.

I also made the mistake of trying on the flambeau tackle backpack they had there. I had skiped looking at it due to only looking at plano backpacks last time, but since I was looking at a lews branded one that was just released anyways, I figured why not. Its the most comfortable backpack of any sort I think I've ever owned, comes with a full compliment of trays and has way nicer feeling materials than the other options. Well worth what they're asking. And as a bonus, I got everything switched over from the plano 3600 bag I have been using into that flambeau and still have a whole box left. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

And thus my year ends with a fruitless quest for the brown and rainbow trout that NC wildlife stock for the winter in eastern lakes, with nothing but a dinky bream to show for it.

Biggest fish of the year, a blue cat weighing 10 pounds, with a 6lb black drum behind it. 34 catfish, 22 red drum, 14 bream, 8 pinfish, 7 largemouth, whiting and spot, 6 croaker, 5 white perch, 3 black drum (all three porkers), 2 eel, bluefish, and sandbar sharks and 1 each for golden shiner, chain pickerel, bowfin, american shad, warmouth, spotted sea trout, pigfish, and white bass for a total of 127 fish between March 24th and today.

Surely I'm not the only one here spergy enough to log every fish caught, am I? :smith:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

And thus my year ends with a fruitless quest for the brown and rainbow trout that NC wildlife stock for the winter in eastern lakes, with nothing but a dinky bream to show for it.

Biggest fish of the year, a blue cat weighing 10 pounds, with a 6lb black drum behind it. 34 catfish, 22 red drum, 14 bream, 8 pinfish, 7 largemouth, whiting and spot, 6 croaker, 5 white perch, 3 black drum (all three porkers), 2 eel, bluefish, and sandbar sharks and 1 each for golden shiner, chain pickerel, bowfin, american shad, warmouth, spotted sea trout, pigfish, and white bass for a total of 127 fish between March 24th and today.

Surely I'm not the only one here spergy enough to log every fish caught, am I? :smith:

I keep my crab shells. Only got around 80 this year. Short one month season.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

My wife got me a super cool fishing log book for my birthday, so I log everything. It's kinda fun.

Where are you in NC? I can probably put you on some nice delayed harvest trout if you're willing to go to the middle of the state. If you want wild trout and you're in the eastern 2/3 of the state, the closest trout water to you is the Smith River by Martinsville, VA. I'll put you on the best access if you want.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

My wife got me a super cool fishing log book for my birthday, so I log everything. It's kinda fun.

Where are you in NC? I can probably put you on some nice delayed harvest trout if you're willing to go to the middle of the state. If you want wild trout and you're in the eastern 2/3 of the state, the closest trout water to you is the Smith River by Martinsville, VA. I'll put you on the best access if you want.

Would you mind posting a link to this fishing log? Seems like it'd make a good gift for a young fisherman in-law of mine.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I go out fishing and make a note on my phone who caught what on what day and how many. If I catch it I like to take a photo log because I'm a huge nerd who loves just looking at fish and it helps me when I want to draw them to have a few good references.

So no, not at all! :unsmith:

Edit: Yeah, that log sounds like something I could invest in, too.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I use a fishing app (fishbrain) to track my catches. And talk to people about fishing. I'm probably more of a nerd than ya'll and im ok with it.

14 catches this year, 13 largemouth (all under 2lbs) and 1 angry rear end bluegill.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 30, 2019

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Short day on the ice on Saturday. We were out just before a big storm front came in, no bites. The new lure has a cool swimming motion. Hopefully can get back out this weekend.

https://i.imgur.com/FQLlfoJ.mp4

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Unperson_47 posted:

Would you mind posting a link to this fishing log? Seems like it'd make a good gift for a young fisherman in-law of mine.
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...paign=138847367

That's the one my wife bought for me. It's pretty cool.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Dik Hz posted:

Greenville, and my prospects for getting to that part of the state are low :( But apparently the stocking of rainbow and brown trout in Indian Lake in Tarboro for the winter (supposedly to make room in the hatcheries for the following spring) was pretty popular last couple of winters, so hopefully they do it again this year.

Chaosfeather posted:

I go out fishing and make a note on my phone who caught what on what day and how many. If I catch it I like to take a photo log because I'm a huge nerd who loves just looking at fish and it helps me when I want to draw them to have a few good references.

So no, not at all! :unsmith:

Edit: Yeah, that log sounds like something I could invest in, too.

I photo everything myself, mostly for FishBrain postin'. My year of paid membership on that app fuckin' ruled, if only for scouting out new waters. "How brackish is it? Oh, they catch flounder there, okay"

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Greenville, and my prospects for getting to that part of the state are low :( But apparently the stocking of rainbow and brown trout in Indian Lake in Tarboro for the winter (supposedly to make room in the hatcheries for the following spring) was pretty popular last couple of winters, so hopefully they do it again this year.

I photo everything myself, mostly for FishBrain postin'. My year of paid membership on that app fuckin' ruled, if only for scouting out new waters. "How brackish is it? Oh, they catch flounder there, okay"

I've found a bunch of ponds on fishbrain. A+ app, defintely worth the money. (I'm elmnt80 on there if you wanna add me)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Doesn't Fishbrain track your location or something like that? I'm a bit skeptical of some of these apps for that reason.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Eh, yes. But at least they have a reason since they use it in the app. It also uses a mapping app as the core of the app for sharing catch locations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

Eh, yes. But at least they have a reason since they use it in the app. It also uses a mapping app as the core of the app for sharing catch locations.

That's kinda the point, I don't generally want the places I'm fishing to be shared.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Couple of nice WA Dhufish on New Years Eve, the one of the left was 6.5kgs (~14 pounds) fish and chips for days.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

That's kinda the point, I don't generally want the places I'm fishing to be shared.

Then you don't have to do it. You can post the exact location, post it to the general body of water or post just the fish with no location. If its some super secret squirrel fishing spot, I can 100% understand not wanting to share it, but its still nice to have a list of bodies of water with "At this time of year this species of fish was caught with these lures." There's a bunch of small ponds that I thought had nothing in them that I've been fishing since then. Hell, theres even a couple that I was the fist catch on it.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Elmnt80 posted:

Then you don't have to do it. You can post the exact location, post it to the general body of water or post just the fish with no location. If its some super secret squirrel fishing spot, I can 100% understand not wanting to share it, but its still nice to have a list of bodies of water with "At this time of year this species of fish was caught with these lures." There's a bunch of small ponds that I thought had nothing in them that I've been fishing since then. Hell, theres even a couple that I was the fist catch on it.

Yeah, you can make it as vague as you want. I usually use the "competitive" setting both because finding solitude to fish in my area is difficult, and because I am a woman who fishes alone. Works out pretty good. If you fish small ponds you might want to not post the body of water at all, but I generally fish creeks and moving water so it'd be harder to pinpoint.

Met some nice folks through the app too, and got some good tips. I dont generally fish for social experiences but when I feel like it it's great.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

I once ran into a dude who caught a pretty big spotted sea trout (I thought he was just an idiot who got snagged and *thought* he had a fish at first, but nope, it struck first cast before he could start retrieving) and he asked me to take the photo so he could fishbrain it. I somehow tripped climbing down the rocks to him and managed to break my toe and totally displace the broken portion. Thanks fishbrain!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Oof. That's 3 hours from Martinsville and any decent trout water. You're probably better off chasing specs in the intercoastal.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I once ran into a dude who caught a pretty big spotted sea trout (I thought he was just an idiot who got snagged and *thought* he had a fish at first, but nope, it struck first cast before he could start retrieving) and he asked me to take the photo so he could fishbrain it. I somehow tripped climbing down the rocks to him and managed to break my toe and totally displace the broken portion. Thanks fishbrain!

Lol. Ouch! Now that's a fishing story.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Bassmaster has an excellent article on the relationships between prey sunfish and bass. Very enlightening, a lot of good info in one place. https://m.bassmaster.com/understanding-bass-forage-sunfish

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

King of Bees posted:

Lol. Ouch! Now that's a fishing story.

heh, in a way it is; when I saw he caught it on the same spoon I had on my casting rod, I limped my busted-rear end foot to the car, got it, carefully made my way down to the water about 20 yards from him and started casting. No luck for me though.

EDIT: Got a shot of him fighting that trout too. See those rocks? yeah, never ever try walking down some of those wearing flip flops and new sunglasses.

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 6, 2020

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I probably caught about 50 fish in 2019, maybe more like 70. All SMB except for one tiny catfish I caught on my second-last outing of the year. I'm a fairweather fisherman and I haven't been out since October. Bass won't open until the fourth Saturday in June here so in 2020 I'd really like to start earlier and catch a trout (opens in April), a pike (open until March 31st and then again in May) and a lake trout (open all year.)

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Not a ton but I spent the first part of the season dicking around and relearning how to fish, and considering most of my fishing is wading I'm not going out in freezing water!

Hope to up the trout counts for next season - it got too warm here really fast (thanks climate change) and I lost my chances.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Are there any tricks to fishing in water that is icy, but not thick enough to walk on? I'm trying to get trout out of my local stocked pond, last time I went the water was frozen over but just barely. I could wade through it just fine, but definitely couldn't punch a spoon through it at 20 yards.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ghostnuke posted:

Are there any tricks to fishing in water that is icy, but not thick enough to walk on? I'm trying to get trout out of my local stocked pond, last time I went the water was frozen over but just barely. I could wade through it just fine, but definitely couldn't punch a spoon through it at 20 yards.

You need some of that.

Not sure skim ice is fishable from a distance. We run into it spring and fall and it's pretty much lines up. We'll run big tinsel jigs and drop alongside the boat, but if the fish runs too much you can end up into the skim ice again and bust the line.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LegionAreI posted:

Not a ton but I spent the first part of the season dicking around and relearning how to fish, and considering most of my fishing is wading I'm not going out in freezing water!

Hope to up the trout counts for next season - it got too warm here really fast (thanks climate change) and I lost my chances.

That's not too shabby at all for dicking around and relearning! Nice work.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Ghostnuke posted:

Stay home. New ice means recently dropped temps, which shuts off fishing. If there are any spring creeks in your area, that's your best bet for trout in the winter.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

Stay home. New ice means recently dropped temps, which shuts off fishing. If there are any spring creeks in your area, that's your best bet for trout in the winter.

I wish. I live in KS which is cold in the winter but hotter than satan's taint in the summer, so trout don't live past the end of winter here. They're all stocked so I gotta get while the getting's good. I suppose I just need to hope for colder weather, but we keep having random 50/60 degree days so I'm probably SOL.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

My bank account was looking a little full so I went and did something about it

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I'm using my side of the garage to build out my boat this winter. I'll get some pics up when I'm done.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

My bank account was looking a little full so I went and did something about it

Are these for casting or trolling in your kayak? "Old Mate" is such a perfect name for an Australian luremaker, too. :australia:

Ghostnuke posted:

I'm using my side of the garage to build out my boat this winter. I'll get some pics up when I'm done.
Some of us like winter project process pictures. :colbert:

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I’m sure my dude will have tons. Boats are a never ending source of projects. Replaced my engine control last week since the stainless steel screws fused with the aluminum bracket on the original, and I couldn’t change the cables without drilling out the screws.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Caught my first legal triple tail 2 weeks ago. I posted last March when i caught my first ones ever, only caught a couple small ones since then, but I only ran the buoy lines a couple times. Super fun way to fish- it’s stone crab season so the crabbers have miles of crab traps all over the bay and coast, each attached to a line and buoy which floats on the surface. I look for buoys that have growth on them which indicates they’ve been in the water longer and are more likely to have tiny fish and the Triple tail that eat them holding on them. Once you’ve found the buoys, run closely along them about 20 mph, looking for what looks like a grocery bag caught on the buoy line. If you see anything, slow down and circle back around and feed them a shrimp.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Good post, I like the technique explanation. drat I'd like to be out on the water in a tshirt and blue sky :(

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

tesilential posted:

I’m sure my dude will have tons. Boats are a never ending source of projects. Replaced my engine control last week since the stainless steel screws fused with the aluminum bracket on the original, and I couldn’t change the cables without drilling out the screws.

Oh god, I have the exact loving same center console on my boat. I dread having to run a new steering cable to that turd so much I've let it rot for 6 years.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Are these for casting or trolling in your kayak? "Old Mate" is such a perfect name for an Australian luremaker, too. :australia:

I’ll be land based to begin with. A mate finally found his baitcaster (it had been sitting in a box at his mums place for 8 years) so we’re heading up to the Murray river where he has a holiday shack, it’d be a bit anti social if I took the kayak and left him stuck on the bank

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

That’s assuming the ash from all the loving fires hasn’t washed into the river by then and killed all the fish

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

tesilential posted:

My uncle said boat is an acronym for bust out another thousand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

prom candy posted:

My uncle said boat is an acronym for bust out another thousand