Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Not sure. Maybe the same person who's prophesied to untangle the knot of Radium code and bring us to true paradise on functioning forum software?

Lowtax can't afford that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Oh hey I just learned how the gas chamber got its name

When was the original event?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Queen Combat posted:

star of yiff, concentration camps, gas chamber mhmm very above board and classy, no problems here, hilarious and harmless humor for 2018

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

This might be the reason for the login related issues some were seeing:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Lowtax change it so that unregistered users can't list forums in the panel. Some piece of logic in the code decided that not being able to list forums means it should show the banned page. The banned page shows your username - it'd say something like "CONGRATULATIONS fishmech!!!". However, logged in users do not have a username, and get set to a default one. Thanks to literally radium, this default was "Unregistered human being".

I turned off the "logged out users can't see forums" setting for now, and pushed this patch to remove the slurs:
code:
commit 077765fc017446469f9f51025de87b78ec3d3f79
Author: Jeffrey of YOSPOS <JeffreyOfYOSPOS@gmail.com>
Date:   Wed Jan 1 16:32:41 2020 -0600

remove radium slurs from code

diff --git a/include/authbbuser.php b/include/authbbuser.php
index ca6c718..eca9c16 100644
--- a/include/authbbuser.php
+++ b/include/authbbuser.php
@@ -84,7 +84,7 @@ function bbuser_init($bbuserid, $bbpassword, $ip_address) {
        // if we didn't get a user above, make a guest (yes, this is still required)
        if(!($bbuserinfo[usergroupid])) {
                $bbuserinfo['userid'] = 0;
-               $bbuserinfo['username'] = 'Unregistered human being';
+               $bbuserinfo['username'] = 'Unregistered User';
                $bbuserinfo['daysprune'] = -1;
                $bbuserinfo['timezoneoffset'] = $bbuserinfo['showvbcode'] = 0;
                $bbuserinfo['usergroupid'] = $bbuserinfo['showsmilies'] = $bbuserinfo['showsignatures'] = $bbuserinfo['showavatars'] = $bbuserinfo['showimages'] = 1;
diff --git a/include/global.php b/include/global.php
index 245385d..9ddcf0f 100644
--- a/include/global.php
+++ b/include/global.php
@@ -207,7 +207,7 @@ if ($is_dev_mode && in_array($bbuserinfo['usergroupid'], array(6)) && isset($_GE
                $g = 1;
                $bbuserinfo = array(
                        'userid' => 0,
-                       'username' => 'Unregistered human being',
+                       'username' => 'Unregistered User',
                        'daysprune' => -1,
                        'timezoneoffset' => 0,
                        'showvbcode' => 0,

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tweak posted:

will radium ever stop loving things up

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

razorrozar posted:

will radium ever stop loving things up

how did he know it would gently caress up at the worst time though?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
whatever language that is written in, i don't like it

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Tweak posted:

careful that's a load-bearing slur

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

SA's Greatest Sagas: careful that's a load-bearing slur

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hedrigall posted:

From the TGRS trans thread that Lowtax was posting in half an hour ago: another mod came in to talk to Lowtax

Yeah that’s some hosed up poo poo. Thanks to Jeffrey for being a superstar admin and fixing it fast.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:emptyquote:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

can i interest you in the community and programming nightmare that is PHP

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

bell jar posted:

PHP, the programming language where testing for equality is difficult at times

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

bell jar posted:

i can't live without curly braces in my code

Kazinsal posted:

PHP, the programming language where testing for equality is difficult at times

that's impressive, usually you need floating points for that

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

that's impressive, usually you need floating points for that

== in PHP is considered a "loose equality" comparison operator so it tries to fudge the right hand argument to be a similar type to the left hand argument. It will even attempt to do this with strings, to various degrees of success.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i can't live without curly braces in my code

Oh poo poo, that's what the cave story character is named after! I just put two and two together on that.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

It's PHP, and, as someone who once wrote PHP code for money, not liking it is the correct reaction even when it's not Radium's fault

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Aaand there goes all of my sympathy for Lowtax. It's the damndest thing.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Queen Combat posted:

When was the original event?

around 2003 or so

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

pretty much anything involving these forums pre-2010 likely does not bear even the mildest of scrutiny.

even after that there is alot of stuff that common lore is way different than the actual events if you go digging for it, and usually in a way that makes the forums look less lovely

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Aaand there goes all of my sympathy for Lowtax. It's the damndest thing.

Wait you still had sympathy left?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
Anyone mind filling me in on this latest drama? I'm very confused.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

White Dog Eggs posted:

Internet, serious business.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

serious norman posted:

Internet, makes you stupid.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

White Dog Eggs posted:

a bunch of idiots and a bunch of morons all got in a circle and tied their dicks together like the worlds most lame rat king

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

a bunch of idiots and a bunch of morons all got in a circle and tied their dicks together like the worlds most lame rat king

Please leave US politics out of this, thanks.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Queen Combat posted:

Wait you still had sympathy left?

It had been gradually dwindling, but this last shitfit of his finally pulled the plug on it entirely.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

White Dog Eggs posted:

Trans posters want to be treated with dignity and respect, and this has caused tons of people to lose their minds.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

That would be more interesting.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

White Dog Eggs posted:

A forum named “gently caress You And Die” cultivated a local community where a key bunch of loud users treated trans people badly. This issue + QCS being shuttered + Mod/admin feet-dragging + Mods being dumb as hell in C-SPAM + Lowtax making some super rear end in a top hat decisions on live stream last night without knowing the extent of the previous issues = shitstorm

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

careful that's a load-bearing slur

SA’s Greatest Sagas: careful that’s a load-bearing slur

e: gently caress that’s what i get for not scrolling further

Dewgy has a new favorite as of 01:10 on Jan 2, 2020

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

And instead of doing something about it, the overall reaction being to scream at us to "Stop talking about it. I SAID STOP TALKING ABOUT IT! THE PROBLEM WILL GO AWAY IF YOU JUST SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT IT"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

And instead of doing something about it, the overall reaction being to scream at us to "Stop talking about it. I SAID STOP TALKING ABOUT IT! THE PROBLEM WILL GO AWAY IF YOU JUST SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT IT"

Yes, yes it was

quote:

Okay there's tons of drama going around right now, I do not prefer to spend my time dealing with forums drama. From now on, FYAD will stay in FYAD. That means no dumping on any other posters or threads on this forum, without explicit admin approval. We've got forums hating other forums, communities falling apart, and all this internet forum drama is overwhelming and unnecessary. As for the other moderation issues, we're working on that. Right now the admin team is stretched very thin, and is having a difficult time dealing with all the fires. Please allow us some time to address that. Thanks and happy new year!

PS: the mods and admins have my support in cracking down on inter-forum grudges, mockery, and helldumping. This is a comedy website, not a drama website, and we'd like to keep it that way. I'm sorry for any hurtful things I've done; my intention for SA is for it to be seen as a welcoming community.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
does anyone have that initial announcement from last month right after this all started and FYAD and GCS was closed, where Smythe posted about how "FYAD is an important part of the forum's history and will continue to be." while not mentioning AT ALL the horrible poo poo they got closed for? It was so hilariously tone deaf, like if one kid hospitalized another at school and the announcement that went out to parents about the incident was basically "We value ALL our students here at Something Awful High School"

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Up to a certain point I can’t really blame him. Having dozens of very (justifiably) frustrated people pointed in your direction is scary, and that’s in addition to whatever health (mental and physical) limits are on him right now.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

does anyone have that initial announcement from last month right after this all started and FYAD and GCS was closed, where Smythe posted about how "FYAD is an important part of the forum's history and will continue to be." while not mentioning AT ALL the horrible poo poo they got closed for? It was so hilariously tone deaf, like if one kid hospitalized another at school and the announcement that went out to parents about the incident was basically "We value ALL our students here at Something Awful High School"

smythe apparently stepped down immediately after that and has not posted since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

I know it was posted in this thread but he'll if I can remember when